Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Possible candidates for hanks coaching job

Jones was let go a few weeks ago who do you think is the potential new head coach?

Re: Possible candidates for hanks coaching job

Quote: Football22
Jones was let go a few weeks ago who do you think is the potential new head coach?

Sean Kugler

I would like to see a coordinator from Eastlake, Del Valle, Americas, Montwood, or Chapin. These programs are successful and know how to win. All we want is a HC that knows how to WIN. Who would want to come and apply though? We do not have loads of talent.

What about eastwood or canutillo?

Del Valle
DC Kevin Butler don't know much about him
OC Alfred Montes father of QB he ain't going anywhere

Eastlake
OC Ruben Rodriguez loyal to Coach Calderon don't think he's going anywhere

Chapin
DC Tury Poblano should've got the Riverside job do not think he's going anywhere either

OC Primo Vasquez good offensive mind has great athletes at Chapin so why leave and build from scratch

Americas
DC Bill Schmidt don't know much about him
OC Dwan Smith good coordinator maybe an option and a chance to make a name for himself

Montwood
DC John Villarreal don't know how long he's been a coordinator
OC David Telas former head coach at Horizon could be in the mix

Other options
Bel Air OC Richard Thomas former hanks grad good offensive mind front runner in my opinion
Parkland OC Don Scroggins applies for every job under the sun could also be a top choice

They should have done it the last time. It's time to bring Thomas home.

Quote: Knight Parent

Thomas? Are you kidding me? That's the problem with El Paso. People want an alumni or someone familiar whether they are good or not. Here is Richard Thomas' last four years as an Offensive Coordinator:

2013: Horizon 3-7 (no playoffs)
2014: Horizon 0-10 (no playoffs)
2015: Bel Air 6-5 (Bi-District loss to Chapin 32-2)
2016: Bel Air 4-6 (no playoffs)

That is 13-28 the last four years. But this is the guy we should "bring home?" Why? Just because someone played at a school doesn't mean they are qualified to be the head coach there. We need a winner from a winning program to lead our kids. They've been through alot and deserve better!

Who is the Canutillo defence coach? he would be a great candidate for Hanks.

Quote: knightdad
Who is the Canutillo defence coach? he would be a great candidate for Hanks.

Defense

Quote: Knight Class of '92

Thomas? Are you kidding me? That's the problem with El Paso. People want an alumni or someone familiar whether they are good or not. Here is Richard Thomas' last four years as an Offensive Coordinator:

That is 13-28 the last four years. But this is the guy we should "bring home?" Why? Just because someone played at a school doesn't mean they are qualified to be the head coach there. We need a winner from a winning program to lead our kids. They've been through alot and deserve better!

I agree to go with the best. And I don't know any of the other candidates (assuming Mr. Thomas is applying), besides Mr. Thomas. I think ideally, you want someone who was a head coach with a winning record. I don't see many of those knocking on the door. The most viable candidates are current coordinators. Say you get a coordinator from Montwood, Eastlake, etc., they aren't going to have that amount of talent, plus I think they would be using Hanks as a stepping stone. The program has been in decay for some time and it just happened to bottom out this year. The poor fundamentals and lack of development of a talented 2018 class were enough for me to see Jones had to go. I think most of the Hanks Football culture has gone really soft and are quick to blame the coaches (who I agree are the leaders and set the tone), but at some point each player has to look in the mirror and give an honest assessment of whether or not they did all they could as individuals.

Knight Class of '92 that is what I was talking about. We can't hire a losing coach. We need a winner. Proven programs only. Definitely not someone already on the Hanks staff. Hope all works out for our kids

You have a program that went 0-10, who would want that job. The area is land locked and the athletes are going to Eastwood and Montwood. You need to hire someone that has a vested interest in Hanks and has the work ethic to turn it around. Good Head Coaches will not be beating down the door for this job, give it to a hungry coordinator that wants to be there....

Quote: ...
You have a program that went 0-10, who would want that job. The area is land locked and the athletes are going to Eastwood and Montwood.[ /quote]

I mentioned this before on another thread. Whoever is willing to step up to the challenge at Hanks could turn that program around rather quickly. If I'm not mistaken, YISD is preparing to demolish the older buildings at Eastwood in order to start the contrsuction of the new campus. YISD's plan for incoming freshman in the Eastwood feeder area is for them to remain at their middle school(s) while the construction is taking place. Many 7th and 8th graders are not happy about that and are looking at other options for high school. My younger brother is one of them. Instead of staying at eastwood middle for 9th grade next school year, he would rather attend hanks. Several of his friends are convincing their parents that they want to attend a real high school as well.

As far as being landlocked, I don't see that as an issue. Hanks has one of the biggest feeder areas. Starting east of Yarbrough to George Dieter and from I-10 north to Montana St. The Lee Trevino and George Dieter areas are alot more appealing IMO than the aging mcrae area. Again, if being landlocked played any part in this losing season then why did Ysleta, Riverside, El Paso Hs, etc beat the knights with a smaller enrollment, program and older landlocked feeder areas?

This new coach needs to bring new life to the Hanks program. Start building rapport with with your middle school coaches and future athletes so they know what is expected from them once they hit high school.

One can only imagine what the scores would've been had Hanks stayed in 6A. Ouch

Quote: ...
You have a program that went 0-10, who would want that job. The area is land locked and the athletes are going to Eastwood and Montwood.[ /quote]

I mentioned this before on another thread. Whoever is willing to step up to the challenge at Hanks could turn that program around rather quickly. If I'm not mistaken, YISD is preparing to demolish the older buildings at Eastwood in order to start the contrsuction of the new campus. YISD's plan for incoming freshman in the Eastwood feeder area is for them to remain at their middle school(s) while the construction is taking place. Many 7th and 8th graders are not happy about that and are looking at other options for high school. My younger brother is one of them. Instead of staying at eastwood middle for 9th grade next school year, he would rather attend hanks. Several of his friends are convincing their parents that they want to attend a real high school as well.

As far as being landlocked, I don't see that as an issue. Hanks has one of the biggest feeder areas. Starting east of Yarbrough to George Dieter and from I-10 north to Montana St. The Lee Trevino and George Dieter areas are alot more appealing IMO than the aging mcrae area. Again, if being landlocked played any part in this losing season then why did Ysleta, Riverside, El Paso Hs, etc beat the knights with a smaller enrollment, program and older landlocked feeder areas?

This new coach needs to bring new life to the Hanks program. Start building rapport with with your middle school coaches and future athletes so they know what is expected from them once they hit high school.

One can only imagine what the scores would've been had Hanks stayed in 6A. Ouch

Well they just reopened the job either YISD like always didn't get the guy they want for the job to apply or there are really some bad candidates

Quote: 915coach
Well they just reopened the job either YISD like always didn't get the guy they want for the job to apply or there are really some bad candidates

You cant reopen the job until it officially closes December 8. It opened November 18.

The original closing date was November 27. I don't know what happened but they reopened it and extended the closing date

A buddy of mine told me that the job was opened on a Friday and closed on the Sunday over thanksgiving. He said a lot of people called and complained because they were out of town and didn't know the job would be closing that quick.

Quote: Knight Class of '92

That is 13-28 the last four years. But this is the guy we should "bring home?" Why? Just because someone played at a school doesn't mean they are qualified to be the head coach there. We need a winner from a winning program to lead our kids. They've been through a

lot and deserve better!

Since when has an offensive coordinator been responsible for the team overall record, why not the dc or special teams guy, isn't that the head coach job, don't these head coaches make 90k for a reason, Thomas or whomever deserves a chance, so long as it's not the same old pat O'Neil good old boy

why does he deserve a chance......

Has anyone heard of possible candidates?

Chip kelly

So besides Chip Kelly, who else is applying? Any specific coordinators in or out of town?

Now that the job has closed, has anyone heard who received an interview?

Don't think anyone has been called. They have to go through the applications and then decided who to give interviews to. Heard they want to announce before Christmas. If that is true then they will probably call on Mon. or Tues. and have interviews on Thurs. and Fri. so they can get it approved before the last day before vacation. Or they may wait until Christmas vacation is over. Who knows!

I am just curious to see who gets this job because I think with the right coach, this team could be dangerous. There is quite a bit of talent in that area. Good luck to whoever gets a call.

Interviews were yesterday who were the finalists

They were gonna introduce the hanks new head coach today to the kids

Congrats Coach Blair

If true, it looks like a great hire on paper. Hopefully he can turn things around quickly for all, but especially those who have one more year.

Boooooo!!!!So much for going to hanks games for another 3 years.

why is this a great hire on paper.......what has he done

The principal was at DV and brought in her guy. It's that simple and now Jesse Perales can brag how he has 3 assistants that have become head coaches before he takes of as AD for the district.

Quote: 915coach
The principal was at DV and brought in her guy. It's that simple and now Jesse Perales can brag how he has 3 assistants that have become head coaches before he takes of as AD for the district.

Not true, principal not even a part of the process, this is all patty oneil, my son is going to Eastwood

Quote: supporter
why is this a great hire on paper.......what has he done

Never seen paper win a game, ever.

The buddy system at work. I applaud them for do it with no shame whatsoever.

More of the same at hanks, oh well, we will wait for blair to fail and O'Neil to go back to sisd again

They should have brought in some out of town talent. O'Neil is just paying back his favors. They could have sent a message to everyone that new, fresh blood was going to be brought in. O'Neil sucks...

Quit crying and start working. Last year both former coaches from Del Valle made playoffs in Burges and Montwood. A good program produces good head coaches. Hanks will be more competitive than last year that is for sure. Give them a coupe of years and they will be in the playoff hunt. Expect Hanks to be competitive, unlike last year. Out of town talent? Like they did when they brought in Cleveland? Please!

Blair should stick to low level softball and umpiring JV games, no way he is head coach material

Quote: ThE KiNg
Quit crying and start working. Last year both former coaches from Del Valle made playoffs in Burges and Montwood. A good program produces good head coaches. Hanks will be more competitive than last year that is for sure. Give them a coupe of years and they will be in the playoff hunt. Expect Hanks to be competitive, unlike last year. Out of town talent? Like they did when they brought in Cleveland? Please!

You are delusional. Del valle is not a good program that produces good coaches. You are a wackadoodle.

Tell me no tell everyone when was the last time Del valle won State or at least got to the 5th or even the 4th round of the Texas state playoffs?

Your so called good coaches from Del Valle couldn't do jacksquat when they were together against out of town opponents in the playoffs.

Del valle does not have a good program that produces good coaches. The coaches at Burges and Montwood will do more of the same as Del valle which is nothing when it comes to the Texas state playoffs against out of town opponents.

If you think winning district titles makes you a good program then many peograms in El Paso have good programs. Those who know Texas football know that district titles dont hold much weight .

It is what it is. On what basis do we evaluate assistants and foresee which one will be a head coach? My only concern is getting someone who has been a cooordinator for 10 years. To me the ones who have the "it" factor rise right away despite how young they are. Jones was also a long to coordinator and you could see why. I think Coach Garcia who is currently there has the potential to ge a great head coach. I was very impressed with his knowledge, demeanor, confidence and communication skills. Anyway, I hope Blair turns out to be a great leader. I hope he has an overall understanding of all three phases and let's his coordinators handle the details. I think Jones paid no attention to the defense last year. He acted more like a coordinator than a head coach in my opinion. I really really hope that Padilla and Garcia stay on board. I love how they have started the off season program and it will pay huge dividends in the season, I hope it continues. I hope Blair does great things, I had my own bias on who I wanted too get hired. But he is our guy now and we need to support him. I know in my heart that if these boys keep at the way they started this off season until the next season, we will make the playoffs. I have know doubt in my mind. I love this team and I love this school. Let's make it happen!

No announcement has been made we are all jumping to conclusions let's wait till they make the official announcement before we start talking trash about coaches.

That post is just ridiculous!! So if a coach doesn't win state then he's not good. How does that make any sense?

My question for you "one more year" how long have you been a coordinator or head coach and do you have "it" do you have "it"

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m