EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1-6A predictions

Give us your pre-season rankings in order.

Re: 1-6A predictions

Spartandad
Give us your pre-season rankings in order.

6-A Playoffs Teams:
Montwood
Eastwood
Coronado
Socorro

Totally guessing but here it goes:

Eastwood
El dorado
Montwood
Pebble Hills
Americas
Franklin
Coronado
Socorro

I love the different projections! New vibe this year on the thread.

1)Eastwood
2)Franklin
3)Montwood
4)El Dorado
5)Coronado
6)Pebble Hills
7)Americas
8)Socorro

My Top 10
#1 Eastwood
#2 Eastwood
#3 Eastwood
#4 Eastwood
#5 Eastwood
#6 Eastwood
#7 Eastwood
#8 Eastwood
#9 Eastwood
#10 all the other teams in the city

1 Eastwood
2 Montwood
3 El Dorado
4 Socorro
5 Franklin
6 Americas
7 Pebble Hills
8 Coronado

1Montwood Fernandez and Ty get it done. Great offence good D.
2.Coronado has alot of weapons Herrera and Donitello.In 7 on 7 looked unstoppable.
2Eastwood should be really good offensively how ever there d is suspect secondary is terrible.Ochoa and Rios will get it done on the otherside.
3Eldo This team might miss the playoffs they have the biggest threat in the city Mr.Barfield however can he Carry this team all season??If he goes down so do they period.
4Dark horse Pebble Hills They have waited 2 years for the first playoff birth if they can only find a qb.
Franklin next year they will be back this year could be rough new young.Great Rb however no Qb.

1) Eldo
2) Eastwood
3) Coronado
4) Americas
5) Montwood
6) Pebble Hills
7) Franklin
8) Socorro

First of all thank you EP Gridiron for continuing to support El Paso Football, I have been on these forums since the beginning back when Riverside was still running the show with Coach Work. Anyhow on to my Predictions.

Tale of the Tape from Last Year
Co-Champions El Dorado(6-1), Montwood(6-1), and Americas(6-1)
#4 Franklin
Just missed the Playoffs;
#5 Eastwood
Not even close
#6 Coronado
#7 Pebble Hills
#8 Socorro

My prediction for this year

#1 El Dorado has the top returning player in the state, D-1 bound Barfield. If he has another season like he did last year they might go two deep in the playoffs. (3.069 yards passing 33 TD's and 1,582 and 22 td's) you read correctly not a misprint. Can anyone stop Cedarious? I believe they can slow him down but not stop him. He will have RB Davis (162 yards rushing) and RB Nick Leyva (260 yards rushing)in the backfield to help relieve some of that work. Cedarious will also have targets in Hill (561 yards 8 touchdowns) and McCoy ( 195 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns). A defense that ranked at the bottom last year will be lead by Kinsey (29 tackles), DB Avila (2 interceptions, 72 tackles) LB Croslen (97 takcles, 7 sacks), Gonzalez ( 76 tackles, 3 sacks), and Castillo 53 tackles. The O-line will be anchored by Assad.

#2 Franklin should be exciting to watch by El Paso Means on offense. They return the top running back in the district in Dominguez (1,349 yards rushing), and Crenshaw is also expected to see some carries out of the backfield. Top WR Lyles will help stretch the field with his speed and size (545 yards receiving and 6 td's). At QB the strong arm of Kelley as well as his tough running will be a factor. Look for young receivers like Lozano, Haack, Stonewall, and veteran Benitez to emerge. The defense will be much improved, look for LB Guttierez (85 tackles)and Sievek( 57 tackles) to lead the defense. Look out for DE Jhonny Cerros (48 tackles and 3 sacks). Also returning in the secondary are DB's Stonewall, Mcclain and Feste (45 tackles. Linemen Sullivan should anchor the 0-Line.

#3 Montwood return one of the top passers in the state QB Fernandez (3,3437 and 29 TD's) along with one of the top receivers in the state in WR Andrus (1,231 yards and 11 TD's) who will pair up with Cepeda (742 yards and 7 TD's). The defense will rely on it's strong secondary early on DB Andrus, DB Hernandez, and DB Revilla. Linebacker The line will be anchored by Chin and Andha. Coach Famaligi did a great job in his first year he will have some arsenal heading into the 2017 season.

#4 Coronado will have to win all the games they are suppose to, if not Eastwood can sneak up and get the last spot. They will have playmaker in Utility Player Herrera (279 yard receiving, 525 rushing, 48 yards passing), Donatelli (574 yards passing), RB Madrid (498 rushing). On defense will be led by a strong secondary in Alvarez (83 tackles and 3 interceptions) and Seabrook (53 tackles). Also helping out will be
Rey (66 tackles) and DE Mcfadin. Anchoring the O-line will be Valdez and Castro

#5 Eastwood- Darkhorse might be able to make a run if they pick up some momentum. The key will be QB Ochoa. We all saw him go down last year and that was the main factor in Eastwood missing the playoffs but him back that might lead a great turnaround.
#6 Americas- Henderson is good but not Jack Fields good will have to throw the ball in order to have an opportunity
#7 Pebble Hills- The same repeat all hype but at the end the same result. THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!
#8 El Paso Socorro-Bulldogs, sorry you might improve by winning two more games than last year but still won't be enough.

MVP- of the district, the city, and perhaps the State CEDARIOUS BARFIELD- El Dorado
Offense MVP- Andrew Fernandez- Montwood
Defensive MVP- Toss UP

This will be a fun year, can anyone stop Cedarious? I see Franklin being the biggest threat? But really from 1-5 all those teams are really close. I see Eastwood as the Darkhorse that can go from not making the playoffs a year ago to winning it all if they can get some mometum going, and if they can keep their qb healthy. Franklin has some major offense as does Montwood. The difference is that I think Franklin will finally play some good defense this year. If they can that can propel them to #1. Coronado has a core that is capable of making a run. That team is hungry for the playoffs as they have not been close in the Anderson era. Montwood has two playmaker that could definitely be playing division one football a year from now. Coach Famalagi definitely gets the most from his players. Coach Lopez got the swagger knocked out of him last year, will he be able to recover??? Coach Melton for the first time in a long time will not have a running back name fields. Plenty of talent their, if they can get some offense going they might surprise us.

King has great insight appreciate it.

AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

ThE KiNg
First of all thank you EP Gridiron for continuing to support El Paso Football, I have been on these forums since the beginning back when Riverside was still running the show with Coach Work. Anyhow on to my Predictions.

Tale of the Tape from Last Year
Co-Champions El Dorado(6-1), Montwood(6-1), and Americas(6-1)
#4 Franklin
Just missed the Playoffs;
#5 Eastwood
Not even close
#6 Coronado
#7 Pebble Hills
#8 Socorro

My prediction for this year

#1 El Dorado has the top returning player in the state, D-1 bound Barfield. If he has another season like he did last year they might go two deep in the playoffs. (3.069 yards passing 33 TD's and 1,582 and 22 td's) you read correctly not a misprint. Can anyone stop Cedarious? I believe they can slow him down but not stop him. He will have RB Davis (162 yards rushing) and RB Nick Leyva (260 yards rushing)in the backfield to help relieve some of that work. Cedarious will also have targets in Hill (561 yards 8 touchdowns) and McCoy ( 195 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns). A defense that ranked at the bottom last year will be lead by Kinsey (29 tackles), DB Avila (2 interceptions, 72 tackles) LB Croslen (97 takcles, 7 sacks), Gonzalez ( 76 tackles, 3 sacks), and Castillo 53 tackles. The O-line will be anchored by Assad.

#2 Franklin should be exciting to watch by El Paso Means on offense. They return the top running back in the district in Dominguez (1,349 yards rushing), and Crenshaw is also expected to see some carries out of the backfield. Top WR Lyles will help stretch the field with his speed and size (545 yards receiving and 6 td's). At QB the strong arm of Kelley as well as his tough running will be a factor. Look for young receivers like Lozano, Haack, Stonewall, and veteran Benitez to emerge. The defense will be much improved, look for LB Guttierez (85 tackles)and Sievek( 57 tackles) to lead the defense. Look out for DE Jhonny Cerros (48 tackles and 3 sacks). Also returning in the secondary are DB's Stonewall, Mcclain and Feste (45 tackles. Linemen Sullivan should anchor the 0-Line.

#3 Montwood return one of the top passers in the state QB Fernandez (3,3437 and 29 TD's) along with one of the top receivers in the state in WR Andrus (1,231 yards and 11 TD's) who will pair up with Cepeda (742 yards and 7 TD's). The defense will rely on it's strong secondary early on DB Andrus, DB Hernandez, and DB Revilla. Linebacker The line will be anchored by Chin and Andha. Coach Famaligi did a great job in his first year he will have some arsenal heading into the 2017 season.

#4 Coronado will have to win all the games they are suppose to, if not Eastwood can sneak up and get the last spot. They will have playmaker in Utility Player Herrera (279 yard receiving, 525 rushing, 48 yards passing), Donatelli (574 yards passing), RB Madrid (498 rushing). On defense will be led by a strong secondary in Alvarez (83 tackles and 3 interceptions) and Seabrook (53 tackles). Also helping out will be
Rey (66 tackles) and DE Mcfadin. Anchoring the O-line will be Valdez and Castro

#5 Eastwood- Darkhorse might be able to make a run if they pick up some momentum. The key will be QB Ochoa. We all saw him go down last year and that was the main factor in Eastwood missing the playoffs but him back that might lead a great turnaround.
#6 Americas- Henderson is good but not Jack Fields good will have to throw the ball in order to have an opportunity
#7 Pebble Hills- The same repeat all hype but at the end the same result. THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!
#8 El Paso Socorro-Bulldogs, sorry you might improve by winning two more games than last year but still won't be enough.

MVP- of the district, the city, and perhaps the State CEDARIOUS BARFIELD- El Dorado
Offense MVP- Andrew Fernandez- Montwood
Defensive MVP- Toss UP

This will be a fun year, can anyone stop Cedarious? I see Franklin being the biggest threat? But really from 1-5 all those teams are really close. I see Eastwood as the Darkhorse that can go from not making the playoffs a year ago to winning it all if they can get some mometum going, and if they can keep their qb healthy. Franklin has some major offense as does Montwood. The difference is that I think Franklin will finally play some good defense this year. If they can that can propel them to #1. Coronado has a core that is capable of making a run. That team is hungry for the playoffs as they have not been close in the Anderson era. Montwood has two playmaker that could definitely be playing division one football a year from now. Coach Famalagi definitely gets the most from his players. Coach Lopez got the swagger knocked out of him last year, will he be able to recover??? Coach Melton for the first time in a long time will not have a running back name fields. Plenty of talent their, if they can get some offense going they might surprise us.

On the Montwood side: Key talented players that will enhance the RAM Defense are: CB Perez, DE E.Robles , LB-Rover E.Ruel & LB E.Ramirez .

Okay so now that we got all the information from all the schools.? Why don't you 6a schools try and win at least one game in the playoffs!!!! there's a lot of personal stats but not enough winning(YOU KNOW LIKE 5a SCHOOLS) ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Flint
Okay so now that we got all the information from all the schools.? Why don't you 6a schools try and win at least one game in the playoffs!!!! there's a lot of personal stats but not enough winning(YOU KNOW LIKE 5a SCHOOLS) ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

5-A is weak ! They cant put a decent fight against local 6-A teams.

Mark my words El Paso will never be able to compete at the 6a Level. Only person that ever did on a consistent basis was the great Tony Grijalva at Franklin when his Black Swarm defense was dominating el Paso and giving those great Cedric Benson Midland Lee Football teams all they could handle. Region 1 in 6a is the toughest region in the Texas and the U.S.

Constant top 25 teams in the nation are there, not just one but many of them like the likes of;

Allen has multiple state championships and those same years top 5 rankings in the nation. Just look at their stadium and other resources. Allen is Texas football

De Soto last year was their first state championship but they have been atop of the state and national rankings year in and year out

Cedar Hill- Three time state champion

South Lake Carroll- Multiple State Championships in many sports

Euless Trinity- Has a history of its own

Other Top Teams- Denton Guyer, Mansfield, Arlington Martin, Arlington Bowie, Duncanville, Abilene, Keller, and San Angelo Central

Then you have Panhandle Teams with State Championships such as

Odessa Permian- go read a book or watch a movie about them

Midland Lee- Multiple state championships

These State Championship teams will have the likes of 6-10 sometimes even more division 1 players. You think any school in El Paso has at least 3 division 1 players this year?????? The proof is in the pudding enough said.

Funny I don't know where you have been but as far as I'm concerned 5A schools always put up a good fight against a 6a, but a 6a here should beat the 5a and the fact of the matter is 6a cannot and I repeat cannot compete with other six A's out of town can you tell me WHY.

Flint
Funny I don't know where you have been but as far as I'm concerned 5A schools always put up a good fight against a 6a, but a 6a here should beat the 5a and the fact of the matter is 6a cannot and I repeat cannot compete with other six A's out of town can you tell me WHY.

Canutillo can never beat Franklin That's the truth. Don't hate me I'm only a messenger of truth.

Flint that is right, that year that Canutillo went to the final four. Guess what???? They lost to Franklin at Canutillo, it should have been a beat down but a couple of touchdowns got called back.

Also in 2015 Canutillo missed the playoffs and wentb5-5. But enough about Canutillo. Lets keep this thread going on 1-6a predictions. Fans with teams insight share it. For example a new transfer just came in, or a stud player moved, or any other good news.

I go for CanLOLs.What's your school (don't tell me your going to hide behind your name,I always ask and only Kingsrealm has had the guts to tell me what team he goes for SO TELL ME YOUR TEAM and don't tell me ALEDO. LOL

I'm waiting.Your team please.

So I have a list on all the CHOKERS FRANKLIN,Coronado,Montwood,El Dorado,Americas ,for the most part these are the one and done teams .These are the teams that DISAPPOINT every year.They get all excited cause they beat a 5a team by a point. You guys should beat us by five touchdowns every time you guys play us that's why when you guys go to the playoffs you guys are weak because you can't compete with schools your size and that's a FACT .I Knew you weren't going to tell me your team.lol

Troop
My Top 10
#1 Eastwood
#2 Eastwood
#3 Eastwood
#4 Eastwood
#5 Eastwood
#6 Eastwood
#7 Eastwood
#8 Eastwood
#9 Eastwood

Seriously?! *Insert eye roll emoji

Allen 6A 8,000 studens.

Katy 6A 7,400 students.

Desoto 6A 5,900 students.

Franklin 6A 3,400 students.

Montwood same as Franklin

Anericas same as Montwood. etc.....

epwatch
Allen 6A 8,000 studens.

Katy 6A 7,400 students.

Desoto 6A 5,900 students.

Franklin 6A 3,400 students.

Montwood same as Franklin

Anericas same as Montwood. etc.....

Numbers don't lie and do we know the numbers breakdown of male and females in the schools because afterall it is mostly males on football teams.

Let us not forget about genes. Height plays a big factor in the sport of football.

Offensive lineman and Defensive lineman standing at heights of an average of 6'1" to 6'4" from end to end is a big advantage.

In the sport of baseball and soccer height is almost a none factor.

5a schools give 6a teams a heck of a game for the most part and you know Canutes does and we have half the student's you have, so NO EXCUSES. This is what I think that's a HUGH problem in 6a ,they have the( I) syndrome alot of individuals playing for stats in comparison to 5a its about the TEAM ,of course my opinion.

Please guys, stick to 1-6A predictions.

Do not sleep on or underestimate Pebble Hills. They have a very talented skill position group led by Caleb Gerber. The QB is a short QB and that is a detriment to him seeing downfield. It does not take away from his leadership. The defense has a really good MLB but lacks size up front. They'll have to play a very fast brand of defensive football by swarming to the ball.
1.Eastwood-Terrific QB and they have a chip on their shoulder
2.El Dorado- Best offensive weapon in El Paso and he's their QB. Will defense stop being a sieve
3. Montwood- QB needs to look for sophomore Chris Ramos. O-line will be stout
4.Pebble Hills- My playoff Sleeper
5 Franklin- I am not sure what they have
6.Americas- could easily jump if they get good QB play and their new RB1 steps it up. He is a fast kid
7.Coronado- No knowledge on them
8. Socorro- Still maturing.

Flint
So I have a list on all the CHOKERS FRANKLIN,Coronado,Montwood,El Dorado,Americas ,for the most part these are the one and done teams .These are the teams that DISAPPOINT every year.They get all excited cause they beat a 5a team by a point. You guys should beat us by five touchdowns every time you guys play us that's why when you guys go to the playoffs you guys are weak because you can't compete with schools your size and that's a FACT .I Knew you weren't going to tell me your team.lol

Flint , move school zones and step it up. Seems that you crave 6A status and glamour!

Troop
My Top 10
#1 Eastwood
#2 Eastwood
#3 Eastwood
#4 Eastwood
#5 Eastwood
#6 Eastwood
#7 Eastwood
#8 Eastwood
#9 Eastwood

News flash Seth will not be playing football he will focus on baseball, hope you still rank Eastwood number #1

EP to Brownsville
Troop
My Top 10
#1 Eastwood
#2 Eastwood
#3 Eastwood
#4 Eastwood
#5 Eastwood
#6 Eastwood
#7 Eastwood
#8 Eastwood
#9 Eastwood

News flash Seth will not be playing football he will focus on baseball, hope you still rank Eastwood number #1
Sophomore QB taking snaps from a Sophomore Center....This is a recipe for disaster. Eastwood just dropped out of the Playoff picture in my opinion....

First off No one is quiting on this Team There's a Junior Qb who will be the Starter and We have some of the Best Recievers in the City not to mention Two Great Running backs and a Defence who flies to the ball so before you Start saying Eastwood is done get your Facts right cause Eastwood will make the playoffs

Wood
First off No one is quiting on this Team There's a Junior Qb who will be the Starter and We have some of the Best Recievers in the City not to mention Two Great Running backs and a Defence who flies to the ball so before you Start saying Eastwood is done get your Facts right cause Eastwood will make the playoffs
I honestly hope your right. I believe Coach Lopez will do the most with what he's working with now. I just call it like I see it. Junior or Sophomore he was slated to be the backup for a reason. Eastwood went from having possibly one of the best QBs in 6A (and I still had them rated as the 3rd best 6A team)They now have a middle of the pack QB at best and in my opinion that drops them out of the top 4. I hope I'm wrong... Them not making it wont be from lack of coaching or fan support that's for sure!

TrooperX
Wood
I honestly hope your right. I believe Coach Lopez will do the most with what he's working with now. I just call it like I see it. Junior or Sophomore he was slated to be the backup for a reason. Eastwood went from having possibly one of the best QBs in 6A (and I still had them rated as the 3rd best 6A team)They now have a middle of the pack QB at best and in my opinion that drops them out of the top 4. I hope I'm wrong... Them not making it wont be from lack of coaching or fan support that's for sure!

The Eastwood program might be in trouble. I said Might, I am concerned that we will take a step back this year and then going forward with Coach price down the road some of our talent may go over to Hanks. I mean what QB would not want the opportunity to work with him. Add to the the middle school issue and you can see why I am concerned. I hope we keep it together...

Super Trooper
TrooperX
Wood

The Eastwood program might be in trouble. I said Might, I am concerned that we will take a step back this year and then going forward with Coach price down the road some of our talent may go over to Hanks. I mean what QB would not want the opportunity to work with him. Add to the the middle school issue and you can see why I am concerned. I hope we keep it together...

The Eastwood program will be fine. Losing Seth is obviously a setback but if you're program cannot overcome the loss of one player then you probably were not that great to begin with. This team has all of their skill players returning from a year ago, the offensive line is solid, their running backs are very good, their receiving corps is probably the best in the city and the defense has a ton of speed. Everyone is dismissing them now that Seth has decided not to play which should give this group some extra motivation. As far as the future goes construction at the high school has not increased the number of kids transferring to other schools, in fact they have the largest group of freshmen to come out for football in a very long time 70+ kids. Even with Price Hanks has a long way to go before kids consider going there instead of Eastwood. The major problem they have is that kids would rather go to Eastwood Middle than Desert View or Indian Ridge. 70+ kids try out for the 7th grade football team at EMS every year and that is not changing anytime soon. The problem in the past is that many of those kids would go to Montwood or Eldorado after 8th grade, Barrios was able to stop that when he got the job at Eastwood. Now that Lopez is the head guy he has continued that and taken it to the next level. This program should be a contender for the foreseeable future.

I disagree completely.Seith is a D 1 athlete a great leader he can't be replaced.The Qb is the most important player on offense. Receiving corps will have timing issues along with a the new Qb learning curve to the speed of Varsity.On that note there line and running game a really good however defence secondary are small don't like to hit and will get scored on can they keep up I don't think so.

1 Montwood best offence 2Eldo best player in the city 3 Coronado starting young players last 2 years will pay off.4Americas speed 5Eastwood best coaching Franklin had alot of Qb trouble in the spring offensive has one Wr and a great Rb and we know has no D I'm confused as to why the high ranking in some people polls Coach Walkers last year!!

Truth
I disagree completely.Seith is a D 1 athlete a great leader he can't be replaced.The Qb is the most important player on offense. Receiving corps will have timing issues along with a the new Qb learning curve to the speed of Varsity.On that note there line and running game a really good however defence secondary are small don't like to hit and will get scored on can they keep up I don't think so. [/quote

We will see.

Eastwood has the best coaching? Maybe the best coach celebrations after a touchdown or big play. Best coached teams made the playoffs.

TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO
On second thought I ranked CORONADO way too low! They had a VERY young team a few years back that was competitive and by my estimation a lot of those young starters should be Seniors now. Considering that and the selfish move by the Eastwood QB I'm basically flipping these two teams. Before people jump on me and say the Eastwood kid was just looking out for his best interest let me say that what he did was not selfish but the timing of it was VERY selfish. He should have made that decision MUCH earlier and gave them time to adjust!

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO
On second thought I ranked CORONADO way too low! They had a VERY young team a few years back that was competitive and by my estimation a lot of those young starters should be Seniors now. Considering that and the selfish move by the Eastwood QB I'm basically flipping these two teams. Before people jump on me and say the Eastwood kid was just looking out for his best interest let me say that what he did was not selfish but the timing of it was VERY selfish. He should have made that decision MUCH earlier and gave them time to adjust!

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

1- He told the coaches last spring this was a potential.
2- He was out last year with an injury, they should have started some adjustment then...

Let's not start putting it on this young man, it's not fair to him. We're better than that. I am sure no one wants to play his senior year more than he does. The coaches should have listen to his family when they cautioned them about this. If they did not, shame on them, not on him.

Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

2- He was out last year with an injury, they should have started some adjustment then...

Let's not start putting it on this young man, it's not fair to him. We're better than that. I am sure no one wants to play his senior year more than he does. The coaches should have listen to his family when they cautioned them about this. If they did not, shame on them, not on him.

Could not agree more. Seth is a great kid. He has played football with the senior Eastwood group since 7th grade, this was not an easy decision for him. He is a very good football player but also happens to be a great baseball player. His teamates understand why he chose to step away from football. Also, last year was not Seth's 1st serious football related injury. In 8th grade he broke his collar bone playing city ball. There were rumors that he would not come back after that injury. The torn up knee last year pretty much sealed the deal on no more football. I think he came back for spring ball because he loves his teamates and the game of football. During the summer something obviously changed and he decided not to play. Seth will be fine, the Eastwood football team will be fine and people need to keep in mind that these are 16,17 and 18 year old kids we are talking about.

Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

Could not agree more. Seth is a great kid. He has played football with the senior Eastwood group since 7th grade, this was not an easy decision for him. He is a very good football player but also happens to be a great baseball player. His teamates understand why he chose to step away from football. Also, last year was not Seth's 1st serious football related injury. In 8th grade he broke his collar bone playing city ball. There were rumors that he would not come back after that injury. The torn up knee last year pretty much sealed the deal on no more football. I think he came back for spring ball because he loves his teamates and the game of football. During the summer something obviously changed and he decided not to play. Seth will be fine, the Eastwood football team will be fine and people need to keep in mind that these are 16,17 and 18 year old kids we are talking about.
Fair enough and I'm sure he's a good kid but I stand by what I said. He should have made the decision earlier. It would have been much more fair to his team to not wait until he went to baseball summer camps and then made the decision. Just my opinion so lets not act like these young men are not capable of making choices. It's a perfect time to learn that when you make choices that affect others its done with the understanding there are consequences that can affect people other than yourself. Like I said ....it was a completely understandable choice ....the timing of it was not.

TrooperX
Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

Fair enough and I'm sure he's a good kid but I stand by what I said. He should have made the decision earlier. It would have been much more fair to his team to not wait until he went to baseball summer camps and then made the decision. Just my opinion so lets not act like these young men are not capable of making choices. It's a perfect time to learn that when you make choices that affect others its done with the understanding there are consequences that can affect people other than yourself. Like I said ....it was a completely understandable choice ....the timing of it was not.

I realize the timing was not ideal and in a perfect world the decision would have come earlier. However, I think that while Seths mind was telling him the smart thing to do was to stop playing football his heart was telling him something else. Im sure he was also worried about letting his coaches and teammates down. As grown men you and I can see that making this type of decision sooner rather than later would have been best but as a 17 year old kid with much fewer life experiences there was probably much less clarity.

Observer
TrooperX
Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

I realize the timing was not ideal and in a perfect world the decision would have come earlier. However, I think that while Seths mind was telling him the smart thing to do was to stop playing football his heart was telling him something else. Im sure he was also worried about letting his coaches and teammates down. As grown men you and I can see that making this type of decision sooner rather than later would have been best but as a 17 year old kid with much fewer life experiences there was probably much less clarity.

ENOUGH SAID, MOVE ON.

UL
Observer
TrooperX
Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

ENOUGH SAID, MOVE ON.

You can move on whenever you want. Its a free country.

Eastwood will be Fine They got some Great Kids on this Team and Many will step up like Last Year so Don't sleep on them cause I still believe they will make playoffs this year

Just like in 2014 when sophomore Mark Torrez and sophomore Adrian quiroz were the Qb and center leading a young team to beat a very talented Americas team lead by Isaac Washington and Q drennan. The difference with this year is the age of this team. Senior heavy we core and db group so maybe you should just watch the team instead of commenting on what you think cause you have no real facts commenting or proving why Eastwood will drop out of playoff picture

Observer
UL
Observer
TrooperX
Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

ENOUGH SAID, MOVE ON.

The Eastwood coaches were told in the spring that Seth was leaning more towards not playing in the fall. He did not want to let his coach or the program down since they had such high expectations this fall. The reason he did spring football was because he loves the game and his teammates plus the immense pressure he was getting from all around. It took time away in the summer playing in front of numerous college and pro scouts to realize his potential and the opportunity he has AFTER high school to finally set his mind straight. He was struggling with the decision up to the minute he met with the coach and still to this day.

How I see 1-6A finishing when the season is done and over with.

El Dorado
Americas
Montwood
Coronado
Franklin
Eastwood
Pebble Hills
Socorro

The fact of the matter is everyone else is being selfish for trying to convince Seth to play most of all coach Lopez. If coach Lopez wouldn't have tried to convince him to play before the summer and just let him decide on his own, this decision would have been made long before Spring Ball and the summer. The coach still tried to convince him to play, thus making the decision much harder. Lets face it after this year 95% of these seniors are off to either college or the work force. High school ball is the highest level they will ever play so trying to convince someone to risk his future as a D1 player or potential pro player is selfish on their part, Furthermore putting a players career in jeopardy to win games and pad his record as a coach is very selfish. If Seth decided to play football just to please his coaches and teammates and happen to get hurt, they aren't going to care. They will just say "oh man, sorry Seth, maybe you shouldn't have played hopefully you can recover in time to play baseball at Tech, Good luck, See you around". now he just becomes "a could have been". Nothing wrong with being a little selfish you do you Seth. People that really care for you know you made the right decision and will never convince you otherwise. People that still try and convince this kid to play football are the selfish ones. Smart decision to hang up the football cleats, and concentrate on bigger and better games after high school.

Jimmy

El Dorado
Americas
Montwood
Coronado
Franklin
Eastwood
Pebble Hills
Socorro

I don't understand everyone ranking El do so high. The freshman & JV squads have won like 2 games over the last 2 years. One man team...no way they finish in the top spot. Lucky if they make the playoffs, and if Cedarius goes down, forget it!

EP Troop
Observer
UL
Observer
TrooperX
Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

ENOUGH SAID, MOVE ON.

The Eastwood coaches were told in the spring that Seth was leaning more towards not playing in the fall. He did not want to let his coach or the program down since they had such high expectations this fall. The reason he did spring football was because he loves the game and his teammates plus the immense pressure he was getting from all around. It took time away in the summer playing in front of numerous college and pro scouts to realize his potential and the opportunity he has AFTER high school to finally set his mind straight. He was struggling with the decision up to the minute he met with the coach and still to this day.

Rumor is Seth was 100% ready to play football this season, but things changed when a pro team contacted him about the potential of being drafted out of high school. I understand many kids have played other sports, and still been drafted, but I don't blame Seth at all; having gone through a serious injury the way he did. I wish the best for the kid and any good coach would do the same. This is about his future, not your season.

Football915
EP Troop
Observer
UL
Observer
TrooperX
Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

ENOUGH SAID, MOVE ON.

Rumor is Seth was 100% ready to play football this season, but things changed when a pro team contacted him about the potential of being drafted out of high school. I understand many kids have played other sports, and still been drafted, but I don't blame Seth at all; having gone through a serious injury the way he did. I wish the best for the kid and any good coach would do the same. This is about his future, not your season.
Good luck to Seth. Hope he goes out into the world and represents El Paso well :) ....Having said that Eastwood still does not make the playoffs again this year! On a bright note they have the most dedicated fans/Boosters a really nice field and a selection of uniforms that stack up to any team in the state! But they still fall short of meeting expectations every year. If a young athlete wants to wear awesome uniforms and partake in all the top notch equipment and fan support then go to Eastwood....If he wants a chance of playing on a team that goes to the playoffs frequently and has a shot at a District Championship every year then go to Americas, Eldorado, or Montwood ....Coach Lopez is doing a very good job of drumming up support , excitement and dangling cool swag in front of Middle School athletes to lure them to Eastwood but it's getting dangerously close to time for Eastwood to produce and live up to expectations or he runs the risk of them going somewhere else. Another disappointing year in store for Eastwood and the excuses /swag will only carry a Coach for so long.....

Jimmy

El Dorado
Americas
Montwood
Coronado
Franklin
Eastwood
Pebble Hills
Socorro

Jimbo no way Coronado will make the playoffs. They don't have the coaching.

TrooperX
Football915
EP Troop
Observer
UL
Observer
TrooperX
Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

ENOUGH SAID, MOVE ON.

Good luck to Seth. Hope he goes out into the world and represents El Paso well :) ....Having said that Eastwood still does not make the playoffs again this year! On a bright note they have the most dedicated fans/Boosters a really nice field and a selection of uniforms that stack up to any team in the state! But they still fall short of meeting expectations every year. If a young athlete wants to wear awesome uniforms and partake in all the top notch equipment and fan support then go to Eastwood....If he wants a chance of playing on a team that goes to the playoffs frequently and has a shot at a District Championship every year then go to Americas, Eldorado, or Montwood ....Coach Lopez is doing a very good job of drumming up support , excitement and dangling cool swag in front of Middle School athletes to lure them to Eastwood but it's getting dangerously close to time for Eastwood to produce and live up to expectations or he runs the risk of them going somewhere else. Another disappointing year in store for Eastwood and the excuses /swag will only carry a Coach for so long.....

What? Eastwood has made the playoffs 2 out of the last three years. Year before last they won a bi-district playoff game on the road and took a metroplex team down to the wire. This team was one of the worst in the city five years ago. Lets look at what this program has going for it: one of the largest middle schools in the city with the nicest facilities of any school in the area. Parents want their kids to go to EMS, a couple of hundred transfers are declined each year. In 2 years the construction of Eastwood will be complete and they will have a brand new state of the art building. They have a young energetic coaching staff that relates to todays student athlete. I honestly think that we are seeing the beginning of sustained success for the Eastwood football program. Lets at least let the season play out before we start spelling the demise of a program.

Observer
TrooperX
Football915
EP Troop
Observer
UL
Observer
TrooperX
Observer
Super Trooper
TrooperX
TrooperX
AMERICAS
ELDORADO
EASTWOOD
MONTWOOD
FRANKLIN
PEBBLE HILLS
CORONADO
SOCORRO

1 ELDORADO
2 CORONADO
3 MONTWOOD
4 FRANKLIN
5 PEBBLE HILLS
6 EASTWOOD
7 SOCORRO

ENOUGH SAID, MOVE ON.

What? Eastwood has made the playoffs 2 out of the last three years. Year before last they won a bi-district playoff game on the road and took a metroplex team down to the wire. This team was one of the worst in the city five years ago. Lets look at what this program has going for it: one of the largest middle schools in the city with the nicest facilities of any school in the area. Parents want their kids to go to EMS, a couple of hundred transfers are declined each year. In 2 years the construction of Eastwood will be complete and they will have a brand new state of the art building. They have a young energetic coaching staff that relates to todays student athlete. I honestly think that we are seeing the beginning of sustained success for the Eastwood football program. Lets at least let the season play out before we start spelling the demise of a program.
All good points Observer but where is the District success ? They have had the strongest of incoming Freshmen classes going back to 2012 and have even had a few undefeated freshmen seasons so why is this talent not translating into District Championships? Not even close ! I may be wrong but 4th place Varsity programs every year when your working with 1st place incoming Freshmen every year does not translate into "great young coaching staff" I don't know where the shortcoming is and while I do recognize the improvement since their winless seasons back in the 2010 time frame I just don't know why the Troopers seem to fall short still.
Talent-check
Coaching -check
School and fan support-check
Money put into the Program_ CHECK X 1,000,000,000

So why do they still just fall a little flat in comparison to the upper tier 6A programs?? Just an observation and honest question ....

All good points as well Trooper X. 1-6A is murderers row, every year a very solid football team is left out of the playoffs. In my opinion there is usually not much seperation between the DC and the fourth place team. While winning a DC is great and should be the goal of every team, getting to the dance in this district and trying to win a playoff game or two is the ultimate goal. If im not mistaken 2 years ago when Eastwood finished fourth the DC was El Dorado and they were bounced in the first round of the playoffs while Eastwood moved on to the second round. Im sure El Dorado was proud of their DC but there is no team who would trade a bi-district championship for a DC. After years of fielding a non competitive football team Eastwood is trying to build a consistent playoff program this takes time as you have to build a winning mind set and culture around your program. Eastwood is starting to do just that, if they continue to have success the DC's will come but honestly at the end of the day it is about getting to the playoffs and trying to make a run.

#1 El Dorado
#2 Montwood
#3 Americas
#4 Pebble Hills
#5 Eastwood

Eastside beastside
Jimmy

El Dorado
Americas
Montwood
Coronado
Franklin
Eastwood
Pebble Hills
Socorro

I don't understand everyone ranking El do so high. The freshman & JV squads have won like 2 games over the last 2 years. One man team...no way they finish in the top spot. Lucky if they make the playoffs, and if Cedarius goes down, forget it!

Yep! You called it.

Spartandad
Eastside beastside
Jimmy

El Dorado
Americas
Montwood
Coronado
Franklin
Eastwood
Pebble Hills
Socorro

Yep! You called it.
You sure did call it! ElDo looked awful last night I guess their demise from attrition due to Pebble Hills pulling some of their kids has put them in the position of tasting the landlocked school crap sandwich that schools like Eastwood have been eating for years! Welcome to the cellar Aztecs! On the bright side you can continue to beat up on the poor Bulldogs and fight it out with the TROOPERS for the team that ALMOST made it to the playoffs!

TrooperX
Spartandad
Eastside beastside
Jimmy

El Dorado
Americas
Montwood
Coronado
Franklin
Eastwood
Pebble Hills
Socorro

Yep! You called it.
You sure did call it! ElDo looked awful last night I guess their demise from attrition due to Pebble Hills pulling some of their kids has put them in the position of tasting the landlocked school crap sandwich that schools like Eastwood have been eating for years! Welcome to the cellar Aztecs! On the bright side you can continue to beat up on the poor Bulldogs and fight it out with the TROOPERS for the team that ALMOST made it to the playoffs!

Who did Pebble play ?

Spartan
TrooperX
Spartandad
Eastside beastside
Jimmy

El Dorado
Americas
Montwood
Coronado
Franklin
Eastwood
Pebble Hills
Socorro

Yep! You called it.

Who did Pebble play ?
What I'm saying is that there are athletes playing for Pebble Hills now that would have played for El Dorado before Pebble Hills was built. I'm actually excited to see the progress of the SPARTAN program this season even though I think they should have been called the Golden Bears in honor of Don Haskins !

TrooperX
Spartan
TrooperX
Spartandad
Eastside beastside
Jimmy

El Dorado
Americas
Montwood
Coronado
Franklin
Eastwood
Pebble Hills
Socorro

Yep! You called it.

Who did Pebble play ?
What I'm saying is that there are athletes playing for Pebble Hills now that would have played for El Dorado before Pebble Hills was built. I'm actually excited to see the progress of the SPARTAN program this season even though I think they should have been called the Golden Bears in honor of Don Haskins !

Or change their school colors to Red & Black.

How is that Eastwood and El Dorado pick workin out?
You beat Irvin๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜ณ

How is that Eastwood and El Dorado pick workin out?
You beat Irvin๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜ณ

The problem at CHS is the coaches play it too safe , they do have great talent- but don't know how to utilize. 7 on 7 case in point, some one else coached the team and they were as you said "unstoppable"

Coaches need to stop calling the same predictable plays that you can see a mile away. Let the boys play coaches! That's how the boys get all hyped up and play b&$ls out!

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Montwood Rams will finish the regular season undefeated and District Champions!!!

Boaz
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Montwood Rams will finish the regular season undefeated and District Champions!!!

I agree! Looking forward to the rest of the season.

After taking in the a couple of games this weekend here are my new 1-6a rankings

#1Montwood and company have "Bring da Wood" back on top, Fernandez and big crop of receivers and running backs look unstopable on Friday (Frenship). Look for The Wood to be the most exciting team to watch in town both offensively and defensively. Good Job Coach Famaligi and staff. Early #1 in the city.
#2 Franklin is back and ready to prove a point. They have the best 1,2 combination of running backs in the city. Whoa how I would love to see those running backs in a package together running the triple option, counters and just most of their offense.(Hint, Hint). Defense is finally playing and it looks like that new 4-3 defense is working. I look for this young team to compete and quite possibly shock the city by taking #1.
#3 Coronado- This solid team was overmatched against a very good Midland Lee team, look for them to get back on track vs Canutillo. A key issue will be staying healthy as the wheels started to fall off against Lee. Look for Donatello/Herrera to lead the way.
#4 El Dorado- They should still make playoffs but fell off to #4 because of one issue COACHING!!!! The worst in the city!!! This Head Coach will be in trouble here soon as parents and players are noticing the lack of coaching and going else where. Just look at freshmen/JV last year and it will be the same this year. Last year El Dorado was loaded with talent and playmakers. This year they have some good talent as well but coaching better get it together because if you can even compete against a 5a team you better pack your bag and go back to Ysleta or Irvin.
#5Pebble Hills they now become my dark horse. Sure they just beat a non 5a playoff teams (one of the worst in the city). But if coach can get them to believe they might squeeze in with an upset here and there.
#6 Eastwood they found a qb and now it is time to rebuild see if coach can rally his troops and compete. The talent is there but already dealing with adversity. A lot of pointing fingers and egoistic plans going around.

Hello from Abilene. Been awhile since I opened this door. I trust those arguments of 2 seasons and further ago remain in the past. I just want to read what you guys say about your EP teams and, on occasion, may ask some questions. It is not my desire to wait until after the regular season to suddenly wonder what's going on "in the mountains". Contrary to popular belief, I sincerely do hope your football programs progress and, most importantly, the young men (and women of other sports) progress in our raising them as young adults and future leaders. Peace out.

Mike.

mike03car
Hello from Abilene. Been awhile since I opened this door.

One has to be careful when opening doors.

AgentSmith
mike03car
Hello from Abilene. Been awhile since I opened this door.

One has to be careful when opening doors.

Touche'! Love it!

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m