EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2017 Franklin Cougars!

Purple wave?, Cougs?, Westside?, what's going on over in cougarland? All your boys graduated? Will Franklin field a team? (Sarcasm)... Tap in and update us.

Here's what I know, I've heard it's a 3-headed monster in the backfield, led by returning tailback (#21)Seth Dominguez, then the junior (#8)QB Chris Kelly, and back up Junior (#23)RB Taj. At WR they have returning Junior standout (#3)Khatib Lyles, big kid great hands, good speed. He may break records for Franklin this season being the only returning receiver, he will have help given (#18)Lazano can hold on to the ball, he may be the faster kid on the field every night, not sure if (#5)McClain-Green and (#2)Stonewall (2 starting CBs from last season) will be getting action on the offensive side of the ball as they did at the freshman level another 2 dynamic players. Senior OLB (#16)Kalob Gutierrez will anchor the defense, he will lead a defense that returns 8 starters. Kalob Gutierrez, (#32)Johnny Cerros, Gabriel Stonewall, James McClain-Green, (#24)Marc Feste, (#42)Mikey Castro, will all be on a defense eager to prove itself.

Re: 2017 Franklin Cougars!

Franklin will have an outstanding Junior class this year. They went undefeated two years ago as Freshman and won district.

Yes it was a back and forth battle that year with those Spartans! Will it be enough to make a playoff push is the question?

Thought this site was closed forever!!.... My take is ...Franklin will
Use a run option attack; utilizing Kelly's skill set; love the RB Seth.
But that schedule again 1-2 would be a great start!!!

Welcome back Purplewave!

Update:I'm hearing similar things about Franklin's offense, Starting RB Seth and QB Chris is dynamic in the backfield. Wideouts 6'3 Lyles and 6'2 Stonewall to make plays on the outside.

Defensively Cougars are going to a 4-3 this season. Young defense led by Senior outside linebacker Kalob Gutierrez. Sophomore David Powers will anchor the middle. Not sure who the corners are, but it's not McClain-Green or Stonewall... McClain-Green and Feste will be at safety.

Anxious to see what happens in those 3 non district games, will they be competitive? (Franklin that is)

Spartandad
Franklin will have an outstanding Junior class this year. They went undefeated two years ago as Freshman and won district.

Wow Freshman year !!!! Things change !!!!

Yea they do, they get bigger, stronger, faster, smarter.... Most that class played varsity last year as sophomores.

epwatch
Yea they do, they get bigger, stronger, faster, smarter.... Most that class played varsity last year as sophomores.

So does everyone else. Any given night.

Nice win by the Cougars last night. Really hope they can pull it together this year. 2 losing seasons in a row after never having one prior was hard to stomach as a Cougar Alum.

Stomach should be ok, they snuck into the playoffs last year...

Spartandad

Wow, Freshmen year ,,,, Dude that's the past.

epwatch

Everybody does , not just you.

I am Afraid That Odessa Permian will be a brick wall. The good news is that it will be a building block that no other team in 1-6A can compare to. "Fight em till hell feeezes over, then fight em on ice!"

Brick walls fall too!

Like I said.

epwatch

True, but they still went 4-7. I'm thinking they will be a 7 or 8 win team this year.

Got it...

Cougars you better beat Cove!!!

Ridiculous Cougars. Unacceptable.

What is going on with the Franklin coaches and players??? Something has to be going on if you couldn't beat Cove and Eastwood gave Permian a game for 2 1/2 quarters.

Jake
epwatch

True, but they still went 4-7. I'm thinking they will be a 7 or 8 win team this year.

JAKE,
READY TO RE-THINK

Franklin Franklin Franklin

I am the truth and I speak nothing but the truth so if you're going to hate on me you must hate the truth.

The truth is Franklin for some time now has not had a seasoned quarterback. You Franklin faithful expect your team to excel on the field when you are putting pressure on a quarterback that was not a starter last year. Same thing with last years Franklin quarterback he to was not the starting quarterback his junior year.

99.9% of the time a team will not have a successful season by winning district and doing some damage early in the playoffs if the team does not have a seasoned quarterback.

Good luck Franklin the rest of the way.

Franklin gave Permian a game for 3 quarters that means nothing!

Yea we made some key mistakes, but it's things that can easily be fixed

I'm saying it here today 9/21/2017 5:55pm no way is Franklin a playoff team.

Kids not getting playing time...we understand.

What's your ressoning behind that?

purple wave
Jake
epwatch

JAKE,
READY TO RE-THINK
:|]

The REAL Purple Wave comes from the Eastside Eastlake Falcons !!!!!!!

It's a **** shame recent Franklin teams haven't lived up to the early 2000s moniker of The Black Swarm. All my old get still has that monogramed.

21 was beast mode, but held back, #3 was shut down, QB had a bad day.

Eastside
purple wave
Jake
epwatch

JAKE,
READY TO RE-THINK
:|]

The REAL Purple Wave comes from the Eastside Eastlake Falcons !!!!!!!

Can't wait till the falcons come down to the valley, "You gon learn today!"...

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m