EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canutillo 2017

Anyone care to enlighten us on the canutillo team this year. Please no predictions, they are as good as Hillary beating Trump! Just team information, players to look out for, strengths, weakness... all that good stuff.

Re: Canutillo 2017

Bat
Anyone care to enlighten us on the canutillo team this year. Please no predictions, they are as good as Hillary beating Trump! Just team information, players to look out for, strengths, weakness... all that good stuff.

There's hardly any pride these days for Canutillo football. Their one year hit wonder a couple of years ago is all they had and that's about it. Don't get me wrong they will beat some teams but only city teams from El Chuco. I don't see them ever beating a out of town team. Won't happen.

Canutillo is easily going to win district

Well apperantly upper valley is no us to this thread. Ok lets move on....

Use to this thread**

Good not great senior class, limited junior class. 6-4 would be very good but could go 4-6 or ouch! worse with injuries.

Canutillo hardly has anyone returning. Only positive with this team is the coaching. Their coaching will keep them in games and they will make the playoffs.

Some thoughts halfway through the season. Not surprised that we lost to BA and DV. Surprised at the way they dragged us all over the field though. Pleasantly surprised at how well we played against mighty Coronado and the victory was sweet and unexpected. No illusions about the rest of the season. We would have to win all our remaining games to finish 3rd and avoid being massacred by Burges in a bi-district game a la DV and BA. That will be very difficult to accomplish with Parkland and the Atlanta Falcons still to come. What looked like a safe W in August against Horizon this week now looks like a knockdown drag out fight for just respectability. Coronado's two victories after we beat them hold out some hope though, IF Martinez is able to return in time for Parkland and stays healthy for Eastlake. Providing we can beat Horizon and Ysleta still without him. Because truthfully he was the BIG difference in our ability to move the ball and allow our defense to rest, the difference in how we looked against what now looks like a pretty good Coronado team and how we have looked since is astounding. He has been the missing element against BA, Hanks, and DV. At least the next two games will be very interesting as we fight just to survive. Show up for the games, the boys need us and believe me we ain't done yet!

Canutillo supporter here and I will be at every single game, rain or shine, cold or damp. Losing Martinez was a big blow on the offense but the difference has mostly been on the defense. When I look at the bench, I don't see anyone better that can step up. The only strenght they have is the defensive line but if you look at any game film, they seem to be giving up on plays now as opposed to early games. The young kids in the secondary need the leaders of the defense to step up. Character is built when backs are against the wall. If I'm Brooks, I'm calling out the Seniors on this team to step it up! Eagles, do go out without a fight. Leave it all on the field!

it is obvious that their is no talent, but the team is playing and competing. this happens every now and then in canutillo. you still cant take anything awawy from them. they will be good next year. just support and be patient.

Thanks to all the loyal fans who made the trip to Horizon. Too bad there were not more of us there. I don't understand how some of our obviously older fans can get out, travel and support the Eagles and the rest of us can't or won't. Anyway it was a struggle but we managed to post the W. The Defense seems to be getting it's groove back and they played some inspired ball especially in the second half. They were left in a hole on several occasions and had opportunities to collapse but they showed a lot of heart and refused to give it up. Now comes Ysleta and another fight for just survival. Like so many of our fans I am hoping the Defense continues to rebound and the Offense finds its way back to the end zone. Hope everyone comes out on Friday night we need to show support. Think about this: it is mid October and we have not won a home game since the end of August! That is Halloween scary!

At 5-2 all we are guaranteed is a break even season. However we control our future, to a certain extent, for better things. Obviously if we win our last three games we are in with the top seed in the small school bracket which means probably El Paso High, Bowie or Austin in the bi-district at home. This is the very best we can hope for. If we beat Parkland and Riverside and lose to Eastlake we will probably wind up in a three way tie for the two small school playoff spots with Parkland and Bel Air. This would probably mean a coin toss to determine who is out unless they do a point differential in which case we are in trouble because we lost to BA by 21 and that would require us to beat the Mats by more than 21 points to advance to the playoffs. Or we could beat the Mats and Riverside and lose to Eastlake BUT if BA loses to some one else besides DV, Eastlake, and Parkland than we are in again with the top seed because of our win over Parkland and a better district record than BA. The key is we HAVE TO beat Parkland for anything good to happen because if we lose to Parkland and beat Riverside and Eastlake we probably wind up in the tie with Parkland and BA but are out because of the loses to the Mats and BA. Any way since we don't have a game this week I thought I would give Eagle fans something to study and think about. Let's hope we can pull off the three straight and make it simple. Where's the Tylanol?

Just some thoughts on this week. CHS 30 Coronado 21, Pebble Hills 31 Coronado 21. With 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter CHS 40 Ysleta 7, at this point Brooks calls off the attack and substitutes liberally the rest of the game. At the end of the 3rd quarter Parkland 34 Ysleta 6 and then I assume the Parkland coach starts to substitute. Does any of this tell us anything? I am not sure. Maybe, maybe not. Just some thoughts on where we might stand. Any way we will be there let's see how it works out.

This being Homecoming Week and traditionally looking back on the historical aspects of CHS I did some research of the UIL archives and wanted to share some numbers that might interest our fans. CHS has completed 57 football seasons. We have had 35 winning records 19 losing seasons and 3 break even records. The Eagles have won 328 games lost 252 and tied 5. Canutillo owns 12 District Championships, 6 Bi-District Championships, 2 Area Championships, 1 Quarterfinal title and 1 Regional Championship. Brooks owns half of the District Champ trophies, 5 of the 6 Bi-District trophies, both Area titles, the Quarterfinal and Regional Championships. The Eagles have had 16 play-off teams with Brooks providing 11 0f those. The top five records complied by Eagle teams are: 13-2 2014, 11-1 2016, 10-2 2007, 10-1 1967 and 9-0 1994. There of course is a bottom five: 0-9, 0-9-1, 1-9, 2-8, 2-8 with no years indicated to avoid further trauma. Brooks owns 3 0f the top 5 records but also owns one of the bottom five at 2-8 his first year in Canutillo. Brooks is the longest serving coach in our history and has been the most successful in an ultra-manner. Interesting enough 4 of the first 6 years in Eagleland Brooks had losing seasons 2-8, 3-7, 4-5, 7-4, 9-3, and 4-6. The rest of course is great football history for CHS. Coach is a long way from retiring but at the point he does the school district needs to make an adjustment to the name of the stadium, adding the Brooks' names to the Lowenberg names. I hope everyone finds these numbers interesting. Hope we have a successful Homecoming.

It's great looking at past successes, achievements, accolades, etc... but it's not good ignoring the present failures or shortcomings - Unknown

Wow interesting facts there! Thanks for researching and sharing.

ID LOVE TO SEE AN ANDRESS/CANUTILLO REMATCH. EAGLE VS EAGLE

If you want a peek at the next two years of Eagle Football check out the JV game Thursday night at CHS against Eastlake. The Eagle JV is undefeated I don't know about the Eastlake JV record but they have to be good. Our JV is loaded with talent. They finished 10-0 as Freshmen and hopefully will finish 10-0 at the JV level. They will dominate the starting offense and defense next year because the senior class will be very small ( about 15 seniors) and unfortunately limited in ability. The situation next year will mirror the 2006 team that had a super Junior class ( Drew Norris, Fernie De La Rosa, Brandon Reid, Eddie Rascon, etc. ) but had only 14 Seniors also on a scale of next years Senior talent. That team finished 6-4, no playoffs. The following year they went 10-2 and won Brooks' first District Championship, second Bi-District and came within 4 points and a bad call of winning an Area championship. The players on this years JV appear to have everything necessary to have a super season in 2019 along the line of 2014, especially with realignment. They may be able to do something special in 2018 because of the realignment situation, they have that much talent. Both teams are at the end of their sophomore seasons and come from excellent programs so it should be a good preview of the future game.

Glad to see that Brooks is the highest paid football coach in the El Paso area it is well deserved. The school board should really look into compensating him well over 100K for all the great and positive publicity he has brought not only CHS and the school district but the entire community. What he has done with our entire football program is astounding. You just have to look at the results over the course of our history to see what a tremendous impact he has had. There are some things that the school district does with our hard earned tax money that I really question but Brooks salary is certainly not one of them. He is worth what he is paid and much more!

Well said!

Well it was an interesting season. We were not eliminated mathematically until the last game. Boys did their best and the coaches worked with what they had. The only mystery is the Coronado game and the season results after that. We dominated the mighty T-Birds and then went on a roller coaster ride 4-4 losing big to every good team on the schedule. That will be food for thought through the winter and we will always wonder what upset the chemistry we had that night. Thanks to our players and their Families for their hard work, sacrifice and devotion. There would not be Eagle Football without them. Thanks to Coach Brooks, his staff and their families. Thanks to our loyal fans who always show up and an appeal to the stay at home fans to come out and support the Eagles. Pretend that every week is homecoming, you can go to "La Tentacion" on Saturday.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m