EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Week 2: 1-0 Montwood Rams Vs. 0-1 Midland Bulldogs

Can the Rams keep the momentum going by earning a victory against Midland next Thursday night?

Re: Week 2: 1-0 Montwood Rams Vs. 0-1 Midland Bulldogs

Montwood will steam roll Midland next week! Franklin's defense only gave up 10 points against that team last night. I'm taking Rams!

What I saw from last nights team, the Rams continue to roll. Go Rams

The Rams are off to a great start!

Montwood Rams will win! Rams offense is hard to stop. Too many weapons!

Rams2018
Montwood Rams will win! Rams offense is hard to stop. Too many weapons!
. My son plays for the Blazers, so I stayed to watch the Montwood offense . They made a believer out of me I though it was a just a pre season hype. What impressed me was the Rams defense, it caught my attention, specially #35 Linebacker Ramirez. Wherever this kid came from he is legit. NC9 Overtime even had highlights on the Rams defense and talked about #35 Ramirez. Good Luck Rams, Blazer Pride.

I agree...the Rams defense was awesome. I like the energy and excitement that #33 Ruhl brings to the game. He should be a starter!

Boaz
I agree...the Rams defense was awesome. I like the energy and excitement that #33 Ruhl brings to the game. He should be a starter!

Absolutely. We have a strong defense. #33 is solid and we enjoy watching him play. He is also a strong leader at practice. Always keeping teammates motivated and pumped up.

Linebackers rotate throughout the game always staying fresh. Everett is one of the best motivators I've seen in a long time. The energy and enthusiasm he brings to the table is second to none. When he got injured last year was devastating, especially after watching him give Frenship's RB (Garrison) such a headache last year. Great kid and great defense. Montwood looking solid on both sides of the ball. Corners need some more work but pretty good overall. Go Rams!!

I was thinking. Is this the first time ever where a El Paso team is going to the Basin region as big time favorites where all of El Paso and the rest of the State of Texas believe Montwood is going to crush a Basin team???

When did El Paso football make its 180 turnaround.

Years ago no one would even give El Paso teams a chance against Basin and Panhandle teams a chance and here we are for the past some years where El Paso teams are beating Panhandle and Basin teams.

I don't hear or read anywhere anyone talking about this 180 turnaround flipflop El Paso football has done. Why is that? Have we been expecting it all these years and now that things have turned and flipped we are all like ah I knew it it was all only a matter of time?

Rams
Can the Rams keep the momentum going by earning a victory against Midland next Thursday night?

I believe they do. Monty is better this year. Midland not as strong as last year. They're rebuilding for next. Much like Lee and Permian was last year for this.

mike03car
Rams

I believe they do. Monty is better this year. Midland not as strong as last year. They're rebuilding for next. Much like Lee and Permian was last year for this.

Never fails every time you out of towners enter through this door you bring with you that this or that Panhandle or Basin team is rebuilding or going through some sort of transition and that it's the reason why the EP team won. Can't you out of towners just enter through this door with a 24 pack of Brew and give EP teams some credit and let's party.

When a Panhandle or Basin team beats a EP team you out of towners ought to say the same thing like that the reason the Panhandle or Basin team beat the EP team is because that EP team is rebuilding or in some sort of transition or that there are way too many high schools in El Paso.

AgentSmith
mike03car
Rams

Never fails every time you out of towners enter through this door you bring with you that this or that Panhandle or Basin team is rebuilding or going through some sort of transition and that it's the reason why the EP team won. Can't you out of towners just enter through this door with a 24 pack of Brew and give EP teams some credit and let's party.

When a Panhandle or Basin team beats a EP team you out of towners ought to say the same thing like that the reason the Panhandle or Basin team beat the EP team is because that EP team is rebuilding or in some sort of transition or that there are way too many high schools in El Paso.

Since I don't drink: A&W or Barq's from a grocery, or something from a small brewery.

There's a reason why the statewide publications have predicted both Frenship and Midland out of the playoffs.

Try not to get upset over those facts even when someone compliments an El Paso team's improvement. You're far too defensive and looking for something to criticize.

It's not really about the wins and losses on the scoreboard. One of Abilene's best seasons as a team was in 2013 when they missed the playoffs for the first time in about 15 years. They grew up as young men A LOT.

Midland will have a 2nd string at one of the corners: https://twitter.com/JakeGadon_TV/status/905482293971755008

mike03car
Midland will have a 2nd string at one of the corners: https://twitter.com/JakeGadon_TV/status/905482293971755008

How bout Midlands QB? Anybody know his status? That's the bigger question to me. Sounds like Midland is in a rebuilding year. Montwood 48-24

Good luck tonight Rams. Bring home the W and hope everyone returns injury free. Godspeed. Go Rams!!!!

Anyone know if there is an internet feed for this game?

Koolarrow
Anyone know if there is an internet feed for this game?

https://scorestream.com/game/midland-vs-montwood-1414678/details

Thank you but what I meant was, Internet Radio

Ok fellas. If you download the KCRS-AM app from your App Store, you can listen to this game.

Rams 12
Bulldogs 7 in first

Rams 19
Dogs 7
1st

Rams 55 Bulldogs 34 2:30 Remaining in the 3rd Quarter

Rams 58 Vs. Bulldogs 35 11:34 4th Quarter

Rams 58 Vs. Bulldogs 40 10:50 Remaining in the 4th Quarter

Rams 58 Vs. Bulldogs 46 5:37 remaining in the 4th Quarter

Well after watching Franklin put a pounding on Midland and here at this game watching Montwood play Midland it seems to me that both of these teams definitely do not have good defenses ,all of these touchdowns it seemed to me like its six-man football game, I am not a Franklin fan and not a Montwood fan but I do like to go watch good games and since I got to watch Franklin and I got to watch Montwood I definitely give a huge Edge to Franklin ,Franklin looks way more balanced then Montwood I went because a lot of people were making a big hype about the Rams well I must admit I'm not very impressed but a win's a win right

And before anybody gets all butt hurt this is my personal opinion I'm not hating on anybody just giving my own opinion.

Rams 58 Vs. Bulldogs 53 42 Seconds Remaining in the 4th Quarter

Final Score:

Montwood Rams 58 Vs. Midland Bulldogs 53

Flint
Well after watching Franklin put a pounding on Midland and here at this game watching Montwood play Midland it seems to me that both of these teams definitely do not have good defenses ,all of these touchdowns it seemed to me like its six-man football game, I am not a Franklin fan and not a Montwood fan but I do like to go watch good games and since I got to watch Franklin and I got to watch Montwood I definitely give a huge Edge to Franklin ,Franklin looks way more balanced then Montwood I went because a lot of people were making a big hype about the Rams well I must admit I'm not very impressed but a win's a win right
Like you said that's your opinion, but we'll just wait and see when district play starts. Either way Montwood all the way. Go Rams

Rams
Final Score:

Defense optional, but a good win. Anyone here that watched the game? What was Midland's defensive struggle and what was their offensive success? I have read that it was a 55-34 then Monty eased off the pedal and put in 2nd string during the early part of the 4th quarter. Nicely done.

Spartandad
mike03car

How bout Midlands QB? Anybody know his status? That's the bigger question to me. Sounds like Midland is in a rebuilding year. Montwood 48-24

Didn't see the question, but my answer would've been that I don't know.

Midland had a different starting QB tonight then played against Franklin.

mike03car
Rams
Final Score:

Defense optional, but a good win. Anyone here that watched the game? What was Midland's defensive struggle and what was their offensive success? I have read that it was a 55-34 then Monty eased off the pedal and put in 2nd string during the early part of the 4th quarter. Nicely done.

Monty blasted Midland early with the passing game.(3 or 4 touchdowns). That opened up other things. Midland wore down Monty in the second half with the running game. Monty also looked like they quit trying to win and switched over to trying not to lose.To me, Monty "D" looked gassed in the 4th quarter. Midland ran it down Monty's throat.

Think UCLA vs Texas A&M with no major injuries.

MONTWOOD fans my point is Franklin did not struggle at all against Midland and you guys well let's just say you did all night. Oh yeah I forgot you had the second string ,remember no excuses. You barely won by the skin of your teeth.LOL

Wow NO DEFENSE!

Great road win for the Rams!

Montwood pulled starters out in the third and had 2's in. The coach does that and it gets a little scary towards the end. Montwood did the exact thing last year at Franklin, Franklin was getting a beatin, in go the 2,s, Franklin starts making a comeback. Like the whole 2nd defense and offense. I personally don't like when the coach does that but he does and he did it here. Like in the game against Franklin and Midland the score doesn't really reflect how Montwood easily dominated their opponent.Regardless good game and a win is a win

epwatch
Great road win for the Rams!

We have a running joke about the officiating that going into Midland is -14 off the bat for the visitors.

InMidland
mike03car
Rams
Final Score:

Monty blasted Midland early with the passing game.(3 or 4 touchdowns). That opened up other things. Midland wore down Monty in the second half with the running game. Monty also looked like they quit trying to win and switched over to trying not to lose.To me, Monty "D" looked gassed in the 4th quarter. Midland ran it down Monty's throat.
Second String getting in some playing time. Did anyone noticed that. The older Fernandez and WR Andrus were on the sideline. The 1st D was on the sideline . Come District all of you HATER will eat it.

Good win Rams. Represented El Paso well.

InMidland
mike03car
Rams
Final Score:

Montwood 1st D , did NOT play in the 3rd & 4th Qtrs. How can you say they were gassed!!!!! How ? Explain ? Get your facts right before you post.

I saw the MW Head Coach on NBC9 Overtime trying to justify replacing his starters with 2nd and 3rd string players in the 3rd quarter and in my view he failed miserably. But I don't think he will be doing that again.

Boaz
I saw the MW Head Coach on NBC9 Overtime trying to justify replacing his starters with 2nd and 3rd string players in the 3rd quarter and in my view he failed miserably. But I don't think he will be doing that again.
. Don't hate, District play very soon.

Boaz

I'd call it a good move. Pre-district wins are nice, but not necessary. It's more important to keep your best players healthy in a blowout situation. It's also great to get the backups as much work as a situation will allow. Game experience is valuable.

Bullcrap...you play to win period! That was a dumb move...and had Midland won you guys would be on here critisizing the Head Coach yourselves.

Boaz
Bullcrap...you play to win period! That was a dumb move...and had Midland won you guys would be on here critisizing the Head Coach yourselves.
But they didn't win. We did! As previously stated experience is valuable and although I don't agree with how the coach goes about substituting 2's in, I don't argue him giving them some learning experience if we're up 55-28 in the 3rd. And yes we do play to win and again we won.

Your son must be on the second team! In that case I understand your need to defend the Coach. Good luck against Burges.

Boaz
Of course one always plays to win, to include getting your backups a lot of work if blowing out the opponent. A good coach looks at the season-long improvement of his team (if not several years). If the win would've been in jeopardy, I would've expected the Rams coach to put back in his starters since morale matters. Abilene had that happen a couple or three years back and iirc I believe it was against Midland. But it was also a district game, so the win was very important.

Sometimes, when getting blown out, a special player should be protected, vis a vis Abilene last year. We opened up the pre-district play getting run out of San Angelo by Central. They had a 30 point lead midway through the second quarter. Coach Cox pulled our stud RB (who ended up setting seasonal and career records for our school plus a real shot at being drafted in 4 years) to keep him healthy. There was no way we could afford to lose him and have a chance to get past the 3rd round of the playoffs (50 seconds away from beating the champions, DeSoto Eagles).

Boaz
Your son must be on the second team! In that case I understand your need to defend the Coach. Good luck against Burges.

At least all the backup players' parents now know why they're backups.

Green Giant
Boaz

Laugh now, but our 2nd string is better than most teams 1st string. Montwood won so go troll somewhere else.

Rams2018
Green Giant
Boaz

Laugh now, but our 2nd string is better than most teams 1st string. Montwood won so go troll somewhere else.

I also don't agree with that poster's indirect shot at a kid. Maybe he is one, himself.

Why is no one crediting coach Veliz for Montwood's current success atleast a little bit of credit? Coach Veliz played Tyreese Andrus and Andrew Fernandez as Sophomores. You can dislike coach Veliz all you want but he played Sophomores and right now it's paying off for Montwood.

Just saying and no I'm not a Montwood fanatic or a bandwagon Montwood fanatic or a friend or relative of coach Veliz.

Coach Famaligi did great by playing and getting underclassmen experience and especially against Basin teams.

Head coaches blessed with a talented group of players who are able to put up lots of points on the scoreboard early and often ought to take advantage of that and peek a little bit into the future and plant those seeds here and there when the opportunity presents itself. It will pay dividends in the long run. It's a no brainer to do that.

Juco
Why is no one crediting coach Veliz for Montwood's current success atleast a little bit of credit? Coach Veliz played Tyreese Andrus and Andrew Fernandez as Sophomores. You can dislike coach Veliz all you want but he played Sophomores and right now it's paying off for Montwood.

Just saying and no I'm not a Montwood fanatic or a bandwagon Montwood fanatic or a friend or relative of coach Veliz.

Coach Famaligi did great by playing and getting underclassmen experience and especially against Basin teams.

Head coaches blessed with a talented group of players who are able to put up lots of points on the scoreboard early and often ought to take advantage of that and peek a little bit into the future and plant those seeds here and there when the opportunity presents itself. It will pay dividends in the long run. It's a no brainer to do that.
Very well said Juco! Some people just don't understand that concept and make childish remarks referencing players.

mike03car
Rams2018
Green Giant
Boaz

I also don't agree with that poster's indirect shot at a kid. Maybe he is one, himself.

I didn't mean any offense. I was attempting to poke fun at the complainers who are never happy but obviously it came across differently. I agree 100% with the coaches decision to develop his depth.

I can't deny good talent when I see it and in my opinion, Andrus and Fernandez would have been successful on any team. That said, in my view Velez actually held them back by starting his juniors and seniors ahead of them even though they were probably better players, even as sophomores.

But back to the Midland game, Midland had the momentum in their favor going into the 4th quarter. The only thing that saved Montwood was the clock. Again, had Midland managed to come from behind and win the game. The headline would have read:

"Montwood blows 27 point lead in loss to Midland"

So all you very hypocritical MW fans/parents defending the Coach's decision would be bashing him right now on the forum. After all, this is ELP and bashing coaches is what we do best! A good example of this was the continuous bashing of Coach Velez on the forum during his last two seasons as Head Coach of the Rams, completely merciless bashing!

But anyway, this is my last post on this topic. You guys can have it but I'm moving on to Week 3.

Boaz
I can't deny good talent when I see it and in my opinion, Andrus and Fernandez would have been successful on any team. That said, in my view Velez actually held them back by starting his juniors and seniors ahead of them even though they were probably better players, even as sophomores.

But back to the Midland game, Midland had the momentum in their favor going into the 4th quarter. The only thing that saved Montwood was the clock. Again, had Midland managed to come from behind and win the game. The headline would have read:

"Montwood blows 27 point lead in loss to Midland"

So all you very hypocritical MW fans/parents defending the Coach's decision would be bashing him right now on the forum. After all, this is ELP and bashing coaches is what we do best! A good example of this was the continuous bashing of Coach Velez on the forum during his last two seasons as Head Coach of the Rams, completely merciless bashing!

But anyway, this is my last post on this topic. You guys can have it but I'm moving on to Week 3.

But that did not occur.

If this or that would have happened is pointless. Yes I and I'm sure others understand what you are trying to get at. It's like saying if UTEP still had Aaron Jones on their roster they wouldn't have gotten their asses beat to stinky Rice yesterday.

Montwood won so your point of view or thought process or whatever is irrelevant in this present time. The present time tells me that Montwood has 2 wins and 0 losses. That is what I see right now and that is what matters. I try to do my best to live in the present time. I'm not a time traveler.

Every game is not going to be perfect. Coaching mistakes, player mistakes, whatever will occur. Every outcome of a game whether it be a win or a loss will have something to be criticized upon.

And saying Tyreese Andrus and Andrew Fernandez would have been successful on any team is ridiculous for me, you or anyone to know that for certain.

What you are saying is that if Andrew Fernandez was QB at Jefferson, Austin, Bowie, Riverside, Socorro, Ysleta that he would have division 1 offers and his team would be 2-0? No way buddy. So if Tyreese was at San Elizario he would have San Elizario at 2-0 and would have division 1 offers? No way buddy. It's like me saying that Head Coach Ariel Famaligi if he would have been head coach at Franklin would have beat Permian last week or if Hanks Head Coach Aaron Price was instead Head Coach at Montwood he would be 2-0 and he would be the talk of the town right now or if Head Coach Ariel Famaligi was at Irvin he would have Irvin at 2-0 today or if a UFO crash landed on my home and right on top of me and my computer right this second I would never have posted this because I would have not pressed on the post button with my computer all splattered to bits and pieces.

My advice to you is toss this thought process """IF THIS or THAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED""" in the garbage.

Green Giant

I didn't mean any offense. I was attempting to poke fun at the complainers who are never happy but obviously it came across differently. I agree 100% with the coaches decision to develop his depth.
Thanks.

Montwood could have easily won by more points , but the the second team came in and played early on 3rd and whole 4th quarter, but in my observation the rams need a lot of work in defense or change their D.C. For a better one, and special teams have been pretty bad the last to weeks , if they can solve this issues they will compete , I feel the program is good and with those adjustments at the varsity they will compete, the 9th grade team coaching staff is awful all those 9 grade coaches and some 100 some kids and they can't win , please do something about that coach Famaligi as parent and the rest parents it's upsetting,

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m