EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6A overrated?

I know a lot of the times I see the rankings especially with El Paso times and 6A gets the benefit of the doubt all the time... clearly the best football is 2-5A... why is it that they get so much attention and respect and the likes of DV doesn't get any.... there is a kid that plays for DV that will be the best athlete in the city and his last name isnt Montez... I saw their scrimmage and their first game... and after Americas I think everyone will know who he is because he is playing 6A who El Paso is Inlove with ... but honestly I think EP Gridiron gives more respect to 2-5A more than anyone so appreciate that... but other than montwood who is actually worth anything in 6A this year...?

Re: 6A overrated?

Footballguy
I know a lot of the times I see the rankings especially with El Paso times and 6A gets the benefit of the doubt all the time... clearly the best football is 2-5A... why is it that they get so much attention and respect and the likes of DV doesn't get any.... there is a kid that plays for DV that will be the best athlete in the city and his last name isnt Montez... I saw their scrimmage and their first game... and after Americas I think everyone will know who he is because he is playing 6A who El Paso is Inlove with ... but honestly I think EP Gridiron gives more respect to 2-5A more than anyone so appreciate that... but other than montwood who is actually worth anything in 6A this year...?

It's all in your mind. Just like my cousin who lives in Canutillo he thinks everyone in El Paso and the media are against Canutillo. He really thinks everyone in the world does not respect Canutillo.

Footballguy it's all in your mind.

After last weeks games El Paso times wrote articles about Eastlake, Burges, Chapin, Bel Air and other 5A El Paso teams. NC9 Overtime had a lot of highlights on 5A teams and not so much on 6A teams. So again Footballguy it's all in your own mind. You are seeing what you want to see and hearing what you want to hear.

Footballguy

Alright, let me take a stab at this. I'll try and go in order of your statements.
In my opinion, 6A always gets the benefit of the doubt in El Paso minus Volleyball and Soccer as far as team sports go. Very difficult to argue otherwise.
2-5A looks to be the deepest district this year with four quality playoff teams. Eastlake and DV lead a district that is strong at the top adding Canutillo and Parkland. That group on the right night could sweep 1-5A in the first round of the playoffs. But, my way of comparing is to ask the question, "how many 6As could make the playoffs in that district?" Again, in my opinion, Montwood, Franklin, and maybe El Dorado/Americas could make the playoffs in 2-5A this year. That would be fun to see ElDo battle with DV and Canutillo for a playoff spot. Might happen with realignment coming and down numbers at ElDo.
To say that DV gets no respect is a gross misstatement on your part. Anyone that knows anything about El Paso football knows full well what Coach Perales and OFOD bring to the table week in week out. Top notch program in anyone's estimation. To say otherwise would be complete denial on that person's part.
I know exactly of whom you speak when it comes to the young man starting to make a name for himself at DV. His time is coming and it has been a pleasure to watch him grow, and now begin to see the fruits of his long hours of hard work. He deserves it. "Best Athlete" can mean a lot of things, you might need to be more specific. Plenty of young men you need to consider before making a statement like that. However, I have no doubt that when all is said and done for the young man at DV, he will be able to make a very compelling argument for himself.
Gridiron gives respect to good football and spreads the wealth as best they can. 2-5A has a solid matchup most every week, and so they get consistent coverage as a result of their quality district outside of 6A. Easy to get 6A-centric when trying to push highlights and get clicks, so just like any media business (i.e. EpTimes), you go where the most eyeballs are. And in El Paso, that's 6A.
Franklin probably your best bet for 2nd best 6A this year, after that, we'll see.
Keep it coming Football guy, love to hear perspective from others.

Because in 5A, you always know which two teams will finish at the top. Andress and Chapin, Eastlake and Del Valle. One of them will beat the other and then the both of them will beat everyone else. The only drama is in which two teams will get the remaining playoff spots. The lack of drama leads to a lack of excitement. Only recently with the addition of Canutillo to 2-5A does that district become more interesting. Canutillo is not built to handle the speed of the top two teams in 1-5A thus were never as competitive in that district. They are much better suited for the blue collar, hard-nosed 2-5A. They were here years ago but then it was the same complaint, the same two teams year after year, DV and Canutillo (Eastlake was in its infancy and not yet fielding varsity teams). So the 2-5A is interesting again. But the same cannot be said about 1-5A who remain stuck in the same system. The biggest mystery is over the 3rd and 4th spots, which whoever gets them will likely lose the following week anyway.

In 1-6A on the other hand, you have much more parody. There is less that separates teams so games are more competitive. Outcomes are never certainties and any team, no matter how good, can go down at any time. It's all about matchups. And this creates excitement. I hate to boil down my analysis to a simple equation but

Predictability = Boring
Uncertainty = Exciting

Why does 6A have to be overrated? It's not possible that 5A is just underrated?

Edgar
Footballguy

It's all in your mind. Just like my cousin who lives in Canutillo he thinks everyone in El Paso and the media are against Canutillo. He really thinks everyone in the world does not respect Canutillo.

Footballguy it's all in your mind.

After last weeks games El Paso times wrote articles about Eastlake, Burges, Chapin, Bel Air and other 5A El Paso teams. NC9 Overtime had a lot of highlights on 5A teams and not so much on 6A teams. So again Footballguy it's all in your own mind. You are seeing what you want to see and hearing what you want to hear.

Edgar your right, I think the only highlight from 6A was that LB from Montwood #35 Ramirez.

Please don't be that one DV fan who complains that the program never gets the recognition it deserves. I do agree with you that local media outlets are in favor and will always cover programs like Montwood, Franklin, El Dorado and even Americas. I believe this happens because unfortunately, 1-5A & 2-5A EP teams have to battle each other in the first round of the playoffs and it's already predicted that Del Valle, Chapin, Andress, Eastlake or Canutillo are coming out on top and are moving on to the next round to play against an out of town team. 6A plays out of town teams right off the bat and when a local 6A school advances, it's more exciting to the media and other El Pasoans. The only time the smaller schools had the spotlight on them was when DV, Chapin and Canutillo made it to the 3rd round. Under Veliz, Del Valle was in 2-5A (6A wasn't created) yet the program was overlooked because the likes of Franklin and Montwood were in 1-5A and that's the district El Pasoans considered the 'real deal'

I also wonder if the school demographics play a part. It seems like the schools with the higher income gets more local media coverage.

According to El Paso times going into week 2, 4 of the top 5 teams are from 5A... what more do you want?

That was after I wrote this clearly if I would have waited I would have seen that but noted! Good job El Paso times!

Well articulated and I respect it.. the one thing I think is that we confuse the respect for coach P as media support.m (what I meant by respect).. just because everyone knows how hard his team plays and what a coach he and his staff are doesn't necessarily mean he is getting that respect from media like 6A does.

Now I understand that the rankings have changed but what I was getting at is how was El Do at the top from the beginning and all the other teams that dropped so far? They know all they had was QB and 1 WR,That was just my take and maybe my argument is not for this current year because I see the change as of this week but years has gone by and it's hard for 5A team to be number 1 in the city or compare to 6A in the eyes of the media. Just my opinion and maybe I should have stated that... I remember seeing something about it being in mind but some of the explanations don't make sense to me.. they seem like 6A invested people so ill agree to disagree.. like 5A has played out of town teams and still didn't get the recognition in my opinion they deserve....

But clearly I need to set back and let the season unfold first because I think the respect is almost taken because 5A are beating 6A schools.

I can dig that but I think this year they may be alittle overrated!

Green Giant
Because in 5A, you always know which two teams will finish at the top. Andress and Chapin, Eastlake and Del Valle. One of them will beat the other and then the both of them will beat everyone else. The only drama is in which two teams will get the remaining playoff spots. The lack of drama leads to a lack of excitement. Only recently with the addition of Canutillo to 2-5A does that district become more interesting. Canutillo is not built to handle the speed of the top two teams in 1-5A thus were never as competitive in that district. They are much better suited for the blue collar, hard-nosed 2-5A. They were here years ago but then it was the same complaint, the same two teams year after year, DV and Canutillo (Eastlake was in its infancy and not yet fielding varsity teams). So the 2-5A is interesting again. But the same cannot be said about 1-5A who remain stuck in the same system. The biggest mystery is over the 3rd and 4th spots, which whoever gets them will likely lose the following week anyway.

In 1-6A on the other hand, you have much more parody. There is less that separates teams so games are more competitive. Outcomes are never certainties and any team, no matter how good, can go down at any time. It's all about matchups. And this creates excitement. I hate to boil down my analysis to a simple equation but

Predictability = Boring
Uncertainty = Exciting

Canutillo was at the top last year so I stopped reading your comments right after your first sentence. after that it was blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Know your stats my brother!

Foozball Fan

Canutillo was at the top last year so I stopped reading your comments right after your first sentence. after that it was blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Know your stats my brother!

You should've read the sentence that starts with "Only recently".

I have a question: Why not say 1-6A?

mike03car
I have a question: Why not say 1-6A?

Probably because on a message board about El Paso high school football he figures people are smart enough to figure out hes referring to 1-6a.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m