Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
3-4 Defense

I don't know about the rest of y'all but I have noticed more and more high school teams switching from a 4 man front to a 3 man front, and to be more specific a 3-4 that is similar to what Wade Phillips ran at Dallas and Denver. My question to y'all is why? Why are teams switching to this formation in high school? I understand it gives more stunting looks and can help out in the pass game, but it just seems so vulnerable to the run unless you have the correct personnel. Just wanted to hear y'alls take on this defense and what your opinions are. I personally like the 4 man front.

Re: 3-4 Defense

3-4, 4-2, 5-2, 3-3 stack. Add those numbers up and you have the same thing just looks different. Any defense is going to line up and cover all gaps. Now vs spread teams some are better than others. Why did you even ask this? Now all the experts are gonna answer this and we have to read the nonsense.

Quote: Curious
I don't know about the rest of y'all but I have noticed more and more high school teams switching from a 4 man front to a 3 man front, and to be more specific a 3-4 that is similar to what Wade Phillips ran at Dallas and Denver. My question to y'all is why? Why are teams switching to this formation in high school? I understand it gives more stunting looks and can help out in the pass game, but it just seems so vulnerable to the run unless you have the correct personnel. Just wanted to hear y'alls take on this defense and what your opinions are. I personally like the 4 man front.

Because some this Coaches are playing Madden on Friday Nights.

3-4 defense is trash you just begging me to run it up the middle nothing like a 4 man front 3 technique and 1 technique and 2 five technique d ends. This new school of genius coaches make me laugh they run 3-4 and get killed it's like these genius coaches running spread in middle schools what ever happened to I formation lol. Anyway I can go on forever but why waste my breath.

Quote: Say What
3-4 defense is trash you just begging me to run it up the middle nothing like a 4 man front 3 technique and 1 technique and 2 five technique d ends. This new school of genius coaches make me laugh they run 3-4 and get killed it's like these genius coaches running spread in middle schools what ever happened to I formation lol. Anyway I can go on forever but why waste my breath.

Thank you! My point exactly. I don't understand why every team is turning to a spread style offense or 3 man front defense. What happened to lining up under center and running at people? I like the one back offense, but I like it under center and with a tight end. That's where play action can become such a huge part of the game. Guess I am just from a different time, but I just don't see why everyone is going to this new trend of spread offense and 3-4 defense.

all you guys are stupid

Quote: troop
all you guys are stupid

Thanks for letting us know now go away and stop hanging around with us stupids in this message board or else you will become one.

Quote: Curious
Quote: Say What

Thank you! My point exactly. I don't understand why every team is turning to a spread style offense or 3 man front defense. What happened to lining up under center and running at people? I like the one back offense, but I like it under center and with a tight end. That's where play action can become such a huge part of the game. Guess I am just from a different time, but I just don't see why everyone is going to this new trend of spread offense and 3-4 defense.

Because it is all about spreading the field and getting your best athletes in one on one situations. 3 yards and a cloud of dust football have gone bye bye. Some teams still try and do that but many have limited success (see utep). Even Saban at Alabama realized he needed to open his offense up and brought in Kiffin. The run game is still important but seems like more and more teams use the pass to set up the run. Permian runs a triple option look out of the pistol and they will try and run it down your throat. Eastwood bases out of a 3-4 we will see how they handle it.

No I understand the concept of the spread offense and I am sorry I got off topic a little bit in my last post, but you can still cover the spread with a 4 man front. It just seems like teams are looking at tge NFL as an example, but you can't run what they run as a high school team and even some college teams cannot run that. You need a specific personnel for that defense and to me the 3-4 or 3-3 leaves you vulnerable and is not efficient at the high school level. Just my opinion. Don't take it too serious though according to troop. Obviously God's great gift to football.

Quote: Edgar
Quote: troop
all you guys are stupid

Thanks for letting us know now go away and stop hanging around with us stupids in this message board or else you will become one.

Edgar , Troop is delusional he still thinks his Troop is winning a State Title this year. Troop and Flint should hang out. Ignore them both.

Coach Donnelly ex line coach at Austin would stomp your 3-4 defense all day a good line coach would trap, lead, counter that crap all day lol. If you have all skill kids yes run spread if you have more fatties and less skill kids a wing t is the way to go.

3-4 turns into 4 man front pretty easily geniuses. I guess the same would be said about 3-3 teams. Just saying.

I kick butt on Madden when I play a 3-4 defense.

Quote: eplion
I kick butt on Madden when I play a 3-4 defense.

I don't know if you are being serious or not, but that's the point I am trying to make. A 3-4 works in the NFL, but that is only because they have the athletes to run it. High schools do not.

Chapin has the personnel to play the 3-4. They have 3 hosses up front that are extremely difficult to run on. VERY BIG BOYS.

Quote: Spartandad
Chapin has the personnel to play the 3-4. They have 3 hosses up front that are extremely difficult to run on. VERY BIG BOYS.

Sorry Spartan Dad but I have to disagree with you on this one.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m