Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Franklin vs Pebble Hills @ The SAC

1-2 Cougars vs the 3-0 Spartans, interesting matchup who do you have and why?

Re: Franklin vs Pebble Hills @ The SAC

Funny you bring up the records like that. Let's compare each other's schedules:

Franklin vs. Midland
Franklin vs. Odessa Permian
Franklin vs. Copperas Cove

PH vs Irvin
PH vs Andress
PH vs Chapin

Of course you're going to be 3-0 when you play those kind of schools. Pebble Hills looks greatly improved, but they're still not at the level of Franklin.

Franklin 35
Pebble Hills 21

Be careful talking about Franklin football online or else you'll have epwatch who is the ambassador to Franklin and knows every Franklin grad and Franklin parent who gets online will come and tell you to shut your mouth and not talk about Franklin football.

I would not underestimate Pebble Hills if I was you, they have a very experience team full of seniors. I believe it will be 14-24 Pebble Hills.

Franklin definitely had the harder non-district schedule for sure, so throw those records out. I'm looking forward to this game because it will definitely start telling us where both teams are in the grand scheme of things.

Great machup, but Franklins hard pre schedule will have them ready for district.
Franklin-35
Fruity Pebbles Hills-3

Quote: #cougdad
Great machup, but Franklins hard pre schedule will have them ready for district.
Franklin-35
Fruity Pebbles Hills-3

This is absurd. Franklin had the harder pre-district schedule, but they are not in sync. They never found a rhythm on either side of the ball. Pebble Hills had the easier pre-district schedule, but those three wins gave them confidence and a rhythm. Add that with a team that has a chemistry like no other team in the city, plus Coach Torres being a former coordinator for Franklin, I think "Fruity Pebbles" has the edge over Franklin in this one.

Pebble Hills 48
Franklin 28

Quote: CougarNation
Be careful talking about Franklin football online or else you'll have epwatch who is the ambassador to Franklin and knows every Franklin grad and Franklin parent who gets online will come and tell you to shut your mouth and not talk about Franklin football.

CougarNation I don't about this epwatch you speak of but there are coaches out there telling players and parents not to come to the EP Gridiron site. So it's not only your epwatch playing online police control but coaches are to.

Quote: FarEastside

CougarNation I don't about this epwatch you speak of but there are coaches telling players and parents not to come to the EP Gridiron site. So it's not only your epwatch playing online police control but coaches are to.

I don't blame the coaches for saying that. The stuff that is said on here would only lead to problems in the locker room and right now Franklin doesn't need any distractions. Also when something is said about kids on this sight and parents see it they typically run to the coaches to complain. If I were a coach I would be saying the same thing.

I don't think you can hold Pebble Hills to 3 points. When you played Midland you played against they're #2 QB they're #1 was out the first week.

Wasn't a disrespect thing just added the records the entire city knows Franklin had a brutal non district schedule.

Most your comments are disrespectful.

Quote: Curious
Quote: FarEastside

CougarNation I don't about this epwatch you speak of but there are coaches telling players and parents not to come to the EP Gridiron site. So it's not only your epwatch playing online police control but coaches are to.

I don't blame the coaches for saying that. The stuff that is said on here would only lead to problems in the locker room and right now Franklin doesn't need any distractions. Also when something is said about kids on this sight and parents see it they typically run to the coaches to complain. If I were a coach I would be saying the same thing.

That is kinda stupid because parents and players are posting far worse stuff on their personal facebook and twitter pages. In my opinions coaches just want total control of the parents and players.

Cougars by 20+.... Now that it's district play I'll be rooting for 1 El Paso team. Hopefully Franklin's explosive offense will start to show in district play. Against Midland cougars scored at will, against Permian and Cove it was a struggle. Good thing is it's plenty of weapons to be used, Defense isn't playing as bad as scores have projected but that's an entirely different conversation.
Franklin 34
Pebble Hills 14

Quote: epwatch
Cougars by 20+.... Now that it's district play I'll be rooting for 1 El Paso team. Hopefully Franklin's explosive offense will start to show in district play. Against Midland cougars scored at will, against Permian and Cove it was a struggle. Good thing is it's plenty of weapons to be used, Defense isn't playing as bad as scores have projected but that's an entirely different conversation.
Franklin 34
Pebble Hills 14

Franklin does not have a QB

Franklin will not hang with the Spartans.

Franklin-17
Pebble hills-35

Quote: Yup
Franklin will not hang with the Spartans.

Franklin-17
Pebble hills-35

Pebble Hills will not hang with the Cougars

Pebble Hills-17
Franklin-35

Quote: EP Football Fan
Franklin-35
Fruity Pebbles Hills-3

This is absurd. Franklin had the harder pre-district schedule, but they are not in sync. They never found a rhythm on either side of the ball. Pebble Hills had the easier pre-district schedule, but those three wins gave them confidence and a rhythm. Add that with a team that has a chemistry like no other team in the city

You raise a good question. What's better then, a soft pre-district schedule or a tough one? You mentioned rhythm and chemistry as bi products of a soft schedule. What are the advantages of a tough one? I don't see many. You're likely to struggle on offense, your defensive weaknesses get exposed much sooner, injuries pile up, I mean am I missing something? Why play Midland, Permian and Copperas Cove?

Quote: Green Giant
Franklin-35
Fruity Pebbles Hills-3

This is absurd. Franklin had the harder pre-district schedule, but they are not in sync. They never found a rhythm on either side of the ball. Pebble Hills had the easier pre-district schedule, but those three wins gave them confidence and a rhythm. Add that with a team that has a chemistry like no other team in the city

You raise a good question. What's better then, a soft pre-district schedule or a tough one? You mentioned rhythm and chemistry as bi products of a soft schedule. What are the advantages of a tough one? I don't see many. You're likely to struggle on offense, your defensive weaknesses get exposed much sooner, injuries pile up, I mean am I missing something? Why play Midland, Permian and Copperas Cove?

If they won those games it would look great on a coaches resume for another job. If they lose those games people will say they were out of town teams so it's acceptable without any pressure on the coach. Schedule in town El Paso teams and win it's no big deal you should have won but lose and people will put pressure on the coach and maybe even get him out.

Pebble Hills played Irvin, Andress, and Chapin. Irvin was a complete cupcake game.

Andress is typically a very athletic and competitive team. They are struggling offensively, and from the pre-district I saw I don't think Andress would beat any 6A team with the possible exception of Socorro. Now if Andress was able to find their offense in their last two games, then it may have been a different story

Chapin, in my opinion, was a quality football game. Chapin is another athletic and competitive team. They beat a Bel Air team that seems to be a good team this year, and they beat Eastlake. Eastlake beat El Dorado in week 1.

Yes Pebble Hills had an easier schedule than Franklin, but with the wins over Andress and Chapin gave them a lot of confidence. The downside to playing those teams is if they do happen to make the playoffs, then they will not have any idea of what the competition will look like.

Franklin played Midland, Permian, and Copperas Cove. They beat Midland who, although they are struggling I saw it as a good win.

Permian is always a great team and Franklin now has experience and film on them of they happen to play again. Same with Copperas Cove.

Franklin went 1-2. As far as rhythm goes they were not able to find any and the point of injuries is a good one. What Franklin did gain in those games is They played very tough competition, and if they happen to make playoffs they have an idea of what they will be up against. There are pros and cons to each teams schedule. This bye week will either be advantageous or disastrous for both teams, but we will find out next week. I still give Pebble Hills the advantage because of their current situation. As far as who you should schedule for pre-district I would schedule two tough opponents the fist two weeks (at least one who you will possibly play in playoffs) and one easier game to give your team a smooth transition to district play with limited injuries.

I too believe Pebble Hills has the edge in this one I think both teams will make the playoffs along with Eastwood and Montwood

Chemistry should be ok... I'll just see how it plays out.

Quote: epwatch
Chemistry should be ok... I'll just see how it plays out.

I will be doing some scoreboard watching on this one. Saw some of the film from the Franklin v. Permian game and thought they looked really good on defense at times with losts of tackles for loss and turnovers. Offensively they struggled. Have not seen pebble hills but thought they got a quality win over Chapin. I am leaning towards Franklin on this one 28-17.

Franklin-35
Fruity Pebbles Hills-3

Sure....stay in El Paso and be mediocre....

Quote: Spade
Franklin-35
Fruity Pebbles Hills-3

Sure....stay in El Paso and be mediocre....
Thank you! Somebody gets it

Go back and read last year around this time. Everyone was giving them credit for playing a tough non-district schedule. Yes Irvin wasn't very good but neither were the Spartans first EVER varsity team. Had a chance to beat Andress and got crushed by Chapin 1-2 pre-season. And people said welcome to varsity football. Now they have improved (3-0 pre-season) and people are calling it a cupcake schedule. Give credit where credit is do. Those kids and coaches learned a lot last preseason and improved because of it. Based on that alone I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. If there learnering curve is this high, it could make for an interesting district race. As far as not playing out of town teams (You gotta crawl before you walk), renember it's a two year cycle. They played and scrimmaged 3 of the top 5 Perennial 5a teams in the city. Then turned around and played all of the top 6a teams. And i believe there JV schedule was 6a as sophmores. Not a bad intro to varsity football. Let's see how this season plays out and then see who the add on their schedule for the next two years. I hope it's out of town teams as well. It will only make them better.

Who cares! The kids play who they play! It's a Franklin vs Pebble Hills topic, or am I wrong? Lol just know I'm taking Franklin, well I'm a Franklin parent and supporter, I think this will be an entertaining high school football game. Let's get it done cougars!

The pre district schedule means nothing to these kids. Wannabe prognosticators and talking heads get into that, me included. I expect a very fast paced game because both teams have exceptional speed. I would have to see how Franklin OL is sized. PHHS is smaller but very fast up front defensively. Both teams secondary will be tested.

Franklin- 42
Pebble Hills- 30
in a tough one

I believe it might be a little closer than we imagine. Hoping the play calling improves offensively for Franklin. The OC, after 3 years I would think he would improve, yet still seeing the same vanilla play calling from previous years. With such talent on that team, you better start figuring things out coach. FHS Fans are waiting for you to evolve. Going up against Torres who coached and thought outside the box. We shouldn't get out played, chances are we might get out coached at the coordinator positions. New year, lets get it together. Franklin by 7

Hopefully we get it rolling we have some solid weapons but yes we need to be a bit more creative, play to kids strengths, and try not to be so predictable.

Franklin the underdogs in this one.

Quote: PopsFC5
Franklin the underdogs in this one.

Don't think so. Pebble Hills is playing good football but they have not put in the years to be a favorite over Franklin, Montwood, El Dorado, Americas, Coronado or even Eastwood. Pebble Hills needs to still put in some years of playing good football against their district opponents not just good football in 3 predistrict games.

This should be a good game!!!
Good luck tie both teams.

@Williams it has nothing to do with putting in the "years" to become a good football program. Has a lot to do with like mentioned earlier, the quality of talent and the quality coaching. Listening to other coaches and parents PH making some noise and there not to be over looked. I have to agree being at all three FHS non district games that we do have the players but good gawd the offensive play calling is not the Franklin Football way, not to mention the lack of adjusting on the defensive side of the ball, I don't know what to make of it either. Ive seen the frustration in parents because of that. Coach Walker should make a change at the OC position sooner than later if we looking to make a run at district. I think PH will be a test. That EPGRIDIRON video on PH, yeah its Andress but they still look impressive.

Franklin 42
PH 28

Previous OC had multiple D1 and D2 prospects. Texas State, BYU, Harvard, UTEP, Cornell. Easy to complain...

Qué chingados! Is your kid not getting enough play time?

*they’re not to be over-looked*
*if we’re looking to make a run*

What do prospects have anything to do with play calling and running an offense??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Look at the script unless your oblivious to the play calling. How do you call the same play 4 times in a row and stay with 6-8 play offense the entire game? You must be new to the scene. Stay with what I'm saying without bringing any non issues like the players when today the team has play makers. Come up with a better argument. Talking about the script "Play calling".

Can't use your own username?? My kid plays plenty. My opinion of what I'm hearing PH is doing is just that, my opinion. Don't get your cute feelings hurt over my opinion. If your looking past PH dad or whoever you are then state your reasoning. You said nothing of value on your post. "Que chingados"

We won't look past any 6A team! I know the kids are focused on Pebble Hills that's what matters. Play calling definitely needs to be improved on the offensive side of the ball, changes at the slot receiver should be considered as well. Lot's of talent on this team. Only way is up from here. (Hopefully)

Our boys will take care of business

Quote: SpartanDad

Can you kindly use a different username? The forum works a lot better if everyone has a unique username and never changes. Thanks!

Quote: Spartandad

Can you kindly use a different username? The forum works a lot better if everyone has a unique username and never changes. Thanks!

That's why I put a capital D in place of the lowercase d so that people can tell us apart. But that's fine the next time that I post a comment I will use another name.

That's why I put a capital D in place of the lowercase d so that people can tell us apart. But that's fine the next time that I post a comment I will use another name.

Just make up and go upon your way in Fruity Pebble land.

Oh just noticed that. That's cool...

Just K & make up and go upon your way in Fruity Pebble land.

Quote: NE

Just K & make up and go upon your way in Fruity Pebble land.

Sorry we beat your team.......jk, I'm not!!

Sparta coming strong!!! Franky isn't going to know what hitem!!!

I'm only going to say this once so don't ask me to repeat this and don't bother posting any other predictions on this game as this prediction is all anyone needs.

Pebble Hills 35 Franklin 17

Quote: PHHS
I'm only going to say this once so don't ask me to repeat this and don't bother posting any other predictions on this game as this prediction is all anyone needs.

Don't bother don't bother me, then DONT POST !

Cougars will be Victorious, Welcome to 6A with your 1st loss.

We've been hit multiple times this year already...

PHHS - let the final score on the score broad speck for itself.

West is right, if you don't want to be bothered - don't post.

Quote: East

PHHS - let the final score on the score broad speck for itself.

West is right, if you don't want to be bothered - don't post.

I repeat the final will be Pebble Hills 35 Franklin 17 and once again no need for anyone to post their predictions or anything else in regards to this game.

AU Au! Au!! Au!!!
Bravery, Loyalty, & Determination

Quote: B.L.D

AU Au! Au!! Au!!!

Lmao that made me cringe so hard!!!

Quote: B.L.D

AU Au! Au!! Au!!!

Hope your right, but ease up, you are making eastsiders dislike PHHS.

Please stop with this 300 Sparta thing....they all died at the end.

Quote: Beast
Please stop with this 300 Sparta thing....they all died at the end.

I guess what they mean to say is that the game will play out somewhat like the Battle of Thermopylae. PH will put up a valiant struggle for about 3 quarters and then just get absolutely overwhelmed.

Well they seem to be holding up pretty good so far 21-7 at the half. PH looks pretty solid. What they lack in size they make up for it in speed. Let's see if Franklin can adjust.

From this day forward we own Franklin.

Quote: Sparta
From this day forward we own Franklin.

Dude, what are you guys smoking over there?

Franklin looking overwhelmed right now. They have no QB! PH dline killing Franklin.

What in the world is going on at Franklin. Team has just given up 57-13. Pebble Hills seems to have welcomed Franklin to 6A. Good job Spartans

WOW !!! Welcome to the Big Boy Club of 6A Spartans!!! What a drubbing!!!

Franklin needs some serious coaching changes. Freshmen win district every year and varsity sucks. Just resign Walker.

What's the excuse now? Didn't you all say we were going to lose?

I am glad FHS didn't run that #21 more in the first half. That may have made things more interesting. Also PHHS attacked the FHS secondary and had a big first half. The PHHS d line is not big but they play fast and use terrific technique. Unless they or MHS stumble they could meet Nov 3 undefeated. Yea, I looked way ahead.

Ahahahahahaha!!!

Good call, very close prediction

How did that 4th QTR treat you with our second and third stringers getting some reps.

Quote: Acrossthenation
Funny you bring up the records like that. Let's compare each other's schedules:

Franklin vs. Midland
Franklin vs. Odessa Permian
Franklin vs. Copperas Cove

PH vs Irvin
PH vs Andress
PH vs Chapin

Of course you're going to be 3-0 when you play those kind of schools. Pebble Hills looks greatly improved, but they're still not at the level of Franklin.

Franklin 35
Pebble Hills 21

So Franklin, how did that tough pre district schedule work out for you against Pebble Hills and their "cupcake" schedule? A little humble pie might be in order for you cougars.

Congrats PH
DIDNT SEE THIS COMING
NOW I CAN APPRECIATE THE PRIOR PLAYERS UNDER THIS COACHING STAFF A LITTLE MORE
IT MAY BE TIME FOR A CHANGE
WAS GOOD TO SEE THE OLD COACHES FROM FRANKLIN AGAIN
WALKER KEPT THE WRONG OC
ON TO NEXT YEAR!
LOVE MY COUGARS NOT SURE IF THEY CAN TURN THIS AROUND

Great game Cougars. The swing of momentum from the middle of second quarter to middle of 3rd was tremendous. We shot out like a cannon but Franklin stole all momentum about mid way thru 2nd & carried it into 2nd half. #21 had some huge runs! Our bend don't break defense came up big tonight & scored a couple of TD's & that made the difference in the game. Spartans let's stay humble & keep moving forward. Good luck Cougars the rest of the way.

Pebble Hills played lights out, capitalized on their oppurtunites, seized the moment,very well coached team. Took advantage of different match ups on the field, anytime your defense can score 21 points you deserve the big win. Spartans looked good. My Cougars just don't look like a team, from top to bottom, the cohesion from week 1 has quickly vanished, kids are frustrated, coaches frustrated, fans frustrated, getting out played and out coached isn't a good look. Too many individuals not enough TEAM effort,we don't come up with the 50/50 balls, we arn't mentally tough, QB play was awful and lackadaisical, the will to win seems to be gone especially after watching alot of our kids laughing on the sideline in the 4th quarter, really embarrassing. So that part I definitely put on the kids.

Coaching stand point, defensively we were horrible on 3rd down, not 3rd and short, but 3rd and 10+ yards atleast 6x, and we couldn't get off the field, corners were left in man coverage and played absolutely terrible! Pebble Hills saw that and ran simple slant or go routes and beat our defense all 6x in those 3rd down situations.(#2 Stonewall should start both ways Receiver/Corner). We only have 1 defensive end who is playing well right now that's #32 Cerros anyone else we try on the opposite end is getting taking advantage of along with #44 Olb Sievek. Offensively now has scored only 13 points each of the last 2 games. Franklin's need for "speed" has gotten out of hand! The spread offense isn't tailored to our personal, horrible slot receiver play, drop after drop after drop. (#5 McClain-Green should go both ways and start at slot with #83 Warthen) neither #40 Jernigan or #18 Lozano played any receiver growing up or at the Freshman/JV level but they have decent speed so throw them in the game? Not a good idea. #23 Crenshaw gets no love, #3 Lyles is a cry baby, #21 Dominguez hard runner, gotta pass protect and run block a little better. Offensive coordinator we the fans are asking for a major change! HC WALKER where are you???? Put these kids in the right position to be successful! I'm not sure these changes will work but we need some change because what we've accomplished the last 3 games just isn't enough. [Venting Fan]

Who is your daddy little kitty cats???

Sparta person Pebble Hills has only beaten Franklin once I don't believe Pebble Hills is their daddy. Beat Franklin in consecutive seasons and earn that slang saying slogan or whatever.

PH looks playoff ready after their win over Franklin!

Honestly, I think the cougars will have a good season, I believe they will bounce back and turn their whole season around! As far as the players go, I believe they have a ton of talent, they have 3-4 players with college offers so far, I believe #21 Dominquez & #3 Lyles have a good shot at going D1, I wouldn't call Lyles a cry baby, because he has talent & the Franklin coaches in my eyes don't utilize him as much as they should, and that could be frustrating to any player that has college attention! Same goes for #2 Stonewall! I believe Stonewall should be going both ways because he did play corner for Franklin last year as a freshman and was good enough to seal a victory over Eastwood last year! #3 could be another Tyqueze Hampton!

Quote: Cougs
Pebble Hills played lights out, capitalized on their oppurtunites, seized the moment,very well coached team. Took advantage of different match ups on the field, anytime your defense can score 21 points you deserve the big win. Spartans looked good. My Cougars just don't look like a team, from top to bottom, the cohesion from week 1 has quickly vanished, kids are frustrated, coaches frustrated, fans frustrated, getting out played and out coached isn't a good look. Too many individuals not enough TEAM effort,we don't come up with the 50/50 balls, we arn't mentally tough, QB play was awful and lackadaisical, the will to win seems to be gone especially after watching alot of our kids laughing on the sideline in the 4th quarter, really embarrassing. So that part I definitely put on the kids.

Coaching stand point, defensively we were horrible on 3rd down, not 3rd and short, but 3rd and 10+ yards atleast 6x, and we couldn't get off the field, corners were left in man coverage and played absolutely terrible! Pebble Hills saw that and ran simple slant or go routes and beat our defense all 6x in those 3rd down situations.(#2 Stonewall should start both ways Receiver/Corner). We only have 1 defensive end who is playing well right now that's #32 Cerros anyone else we try on the opposite end is getting taking advantage of along with #44 Olb Sievek. Offensively now has scored only 13 points each of the last 2 games. Franklin's need for "speed" has gotten out of hand! The spread offense isn't tailored to our personal, horrible slot receiver play, drop after drop after drop. (#5 McClain-Green should go both ways and start at slot with #83 Warthen) neither #40 Jernigan or #18 Lozano played any receiver growing up or at the Freshman/JV level but they have decent speed so throw them in the game? Not a good idea. #23 Crenshaw gets no love, #3 Lyles is a cry baby, #21 Dominguez hard runner, gotta pass protect and run block a little better. Offensive coordinator we the fans are asking for a major change! HC WALKER where are you???? Put these kids in the right position to be successful! I'm not sure these changes will work but we need some change because what we've accomplished the last 3 games just isn't enough. [Venting Fan]

why would you call #3 a cry baby?

I'm hoping we can turn it around.

Quote: Real Cougar Fan
Quote: Cougs

why would you call #3 a cry baby?

When people use the word cry baby don't assume tears running down the face. Cry baby is used in so many ways on football players.

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-crybabies-in-the-nfl/

There are a lot of crybabies playing football at all levels.

Quote: Gary Peterson
Honestly, I think the cougars will have a good season, I believe they will bounce back and turn their whole season around! As far as the players go, I believe they have a ton of talent, they have 3-4 players with college offers so far, I believe #21 Dominquez & #3 Lyles have a good shot at going D1, I wouldn't call Lyles a cry baby, because he has talent & the Franklin coaches in my eyes don't utilize him as much as they should, and that could be frustrating to any player that has college attention! Same goes for #2 Stonewall! I believe Stonewall should be going both ways because he did play corner for Franklin last year as a freshman and was good enough to seal a victory over Eastwood last year! #3 could be another Tyqueze Hampton!

Lyles might have a D1 frame but lacks speed and his hands are questionable this year, he has had some key drops. Stonewall is the better wr.....

Quote: ph8
Quote: Gary Peterson

Lyles might have a D1 frame but lacks speed and his hands are questionable this year, he has had some key drops. Stonewall is the better wr.....

You can't say that about any receiver at Franklin as Franklin does not throw the ball much they rather run it with Seth.

If Lyles or any other Franklin receiver got the ball thrown their way a lot more during games percentage of catches would be higher.

When you have a offense that runs runs runs runs pass run run run run pass run run run run run run run run pass run run run you can't expect for a receiver to get better or have a higher percentage.

To top it all off when you have a Franklin quarterback who was not a starter last year how can you expect for that quarterback and his receivers to have any chemistry during games.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m