Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
UTEP HC

Will the new HC be local talent friendly?

Re: UTEP HC

Quote: epgerm

Whomever is the next UTEP head coach he needs to figure out a way to keep those El Paso players that have multiple division 1 offers from Pac 10 and Pac 12 conferences and other higher tiered college programs. Most El Paso players currently on the UTEP roster are players who did not have multiple division 1 offers. I'm not bashing those local athletes it's only talk from a disappointed Miner fan.

Imagine if Steven Montez (Colorado) was quarterback at UTEP along with Tyquez Hampton (UTAH) as receiver at UTEP and Rashad Still (Minnesota) as receiver at UTEP and also Tristan Cooper as defensive back at UTEP. Like I said if only the next UTEP head coach can figure out a way to keep those El Paso players who have multiple division 1 offers from bigger conferences.

FYI when Deion Hankins graduates from high school he will be a BEAST at around 225-230lbs. Imagine Deion at UTEP.

Kugler out and Bob Stull out

Quote: DisappointedMinerfan
Quote: epgerm

Whomever is the next UTEP head coach he needs to figure out a way to keep those El Paso players that have multiple division 1 offers from Pac 10 and Pac 12 conferences and other higher tiered college programs. Most El Paso players currently on the UTEP roster are players who did not have multiple division 1 offers. I'm not bashing those local athletes it's only talk from a disappointed Miner fan.

Imagine if Steven Montez (Colorado) was quarterback at UTEP along with Tyquez Hampton (UTAH) as receiver at UTEP and Rashad Still (Minnesota) as receiver at UTEP and also Tristan Cooper as defensive back at UTEP. Like I said if only the next UTEP head coach can figure out a way to keep those El Paso players who have multiple division 1 offers from bigger conferences.

FYI when Deion Hankins graduates from high school he will be a BEAST at around 225-230lbs. Imagine Deion at UTEP.

Kugler out and Bob Stull out

That's true. Even with what Kugler brought to the program like coaching at a top college like Boise St and coaching at a few NFL teams like Detroit, Buffalo and the Pittsburgh Steelers Kugler still could not attract the elite El Paso athletes to go to UTEP. Rashad Still, Steven Montez, Tristan Cooper, and Q Drennan were not intrigued by what Kugler did in the past or they simply did not want to play for UTEP. Deion Hankins will possibly have like a million Division 1 offers by the middle of his senior year in 2018 and I doubt Hankins will pick UTEP out of all the top college football teams he will have to pick from like a kid in a candy store.

I'm sure it's hard to recruit elite players in high school to go and play for UTEP and this I'm positive is the main issue with UTEP football.

First off my definition of an elite player is one who has alteast 5 or more offers from SEC, PAC 10, PAC12, ACC, conferences. Ask yourself this when was the last time a elite player coming out of high school who had aleast 5 or more division 1 offers from SEC, PAC 10, PAC12, ACC, conferences chose to go and play for UTEP?

Ok so what is there to do in the city of El Paso? El Paso doesn't have a beach. El Paso doesn't doesn't have nice high mountains to climb or go biking or running where along these mountains there are rivers, streams, lakes or wonderful things like that. El Paso doesn't have a forest. El Paso doesn't even have a amusement park. El Paso doesn't have exciting night clubs. El Paso doesn't have a lot of fun and exciting things to do. A lot of elite players coming out of high school not only look at what the University has to offer education wise and what the history of the football program has done and where that football program currently is today but they also look at what the city where that University is located has to offer them.

Is UTEP a consistent top 25 team? Elite players coming out of high school like to go to college programs that are consistently top 25 or atleast within the vicinity of the top 25.

Are UTEP games consistently nationally televised? Elite players coming out of high school like to go to college teams that are consistently televised nationally not only for their families to be able to watch them play but if they happen to be seen by pro scouts.

I can go on and on but the fact is that for a UTEP recruiter his University in El Paso and his Miners and the city of El Paso is a hard sell to elite high school football players. Does not matter if UTEP has a top this or top that education wise majority of elite players will overlook that they will look at everything else like what the city has to offer.

My point to all this is this I think the reason why UTEP struggles every year. I think the only solution there is if UTEP wants to turn it around and turn it around fast is to dig deep into their pockets and pay a lot of money to a well known head coach and get him to UTEP. This is not a guarantee but that is the best thing UTEP can do because that head coach most likely has connections in the recruiting world and knows how to recruit elite players by knowing what to say to the elite players coming out of high school and what that top coach has to offer. In my opinion this will never happen because the people at UTEP will never pay a lot of money to a head coach and the UTEP football program is not high on their priority list.

Anyone think Chuck Veliz will step up or be considered for the HC position??

Quote: VQ35HR°

Coach Veliz just may be what UTEP needs. He will really be tough on the players. If you act up he will not play you.

Coach Veliz is not liked by alot of people but the truth is most coaches of any sport are not liked by many people.

Yes there are way better candidates out there than coach Veliz but if UTEP wants to put a fire in the UTEP football programs ass then Coach Veliz is the man.

The only problem I see with Coach Veliz in my opinions if he was to do well as UTEPs head coach immediately he would possibly jump ship and go to another program.

Quote: Juco
Quote: VQ35HR°

Coach Veliz just may be what UTEP needs. He will really be tough on the players. If you act up he will not play you.

Coach Veliz is not liked by alot of people but the truth is most coaches of any sport are not liked by many people.

Yes there are way better candidates out there than coach Veliz but if UTEP wants to put a fire in the UTEP football programs ass then Coach Veliz is the man.

The only problem I see with Coach Veliz in my opinions if he was to do well as UTEPs head coach immediately he would possibly jump ship and go to another program.

Trust me Good ol chuck isn’t going to be any coach he’s not geared for that level and it showed in his coaching skills at wide receivers coach. He’s a great delegator but lacks in some skills plus he’s in trouble why bring that in UTEP

Chip kelly!!! He sucks as an NFL coach but he sure was good in college!! Lol!!

Mike Price will finish out the Miners season as head coach.

Just a thought and a question.

There was once a time where the best High School coaches would "move up" to the collegiate level and earn College Football Head Coaching positions.

If, hypothetically, UTEP elected to go that route, which current El Paso area High School coach would be the best fit and most "deserving" of a promotion opportunity at the college level?

Quote: BigHecIII

There was once a time where the best High School coaches would "move up" to the collegiate level and earn College Football Head Coaching positions.

If, hypothetically, UTEP elected to go that route, which current El Paso area High School coach would be the best fit and most "deserving" of a promotion opportunity at the college level?

None at the Division 1 level but maybe one or two El Paso head coaches will do a ok job coaching at the Division 2 and Division 3 levels and again that's a maybe because El Paso head coaches can't even get to the 4th and 5th round of the playoffs on a consistent basis.

Quote: BigHecIII

Unfortunately the day in/day and operational differences of College vs High School is so different that it might as well be a different sport. Likewise with the NFL and College ball. That's why it's hard to see sustained success from college coaches moving into the NFL. Not to mention that a coach at the College level also has to be a hell of a salesman (Kug was a little stoic), also players at each of these levels have a different psychology to contend with. Basically the 300 Spartans or Friday Night Lights act doesn't work at the college level.

Mike Price will do great as a interim head coach. That Miner team right now needs leadership especially leadership from a head coach who has coached a team to the Rose Bowl. After the season is over then Utep can begin the search for a head coach and I would say someone from outside of El Paso.

Well UTEP just blew it when they had the win in their back pocket. This is one of the reasons why elite players out of El Paso do not chose to play for UTEP.

UTEP should take a shot at Art Briles. Although he just landed a spot with the CFL. Hes a great coach that made a mistake and turning a team like UTEP around could help him turn his career around.

Sorry to say and I know it sounds dumb but UTEPs football program seems to be cursed.

UTEPs football program is in need of una limpia

Haha I can't believe someone really suggested Veliz. Guy was an awful hire at WR coach.

UTEP's kicker missed three field goals last night including the game winning field goal!!! Enough said on that!!!

But it was the best game the Miners have played so far this season.

UTEP needs a QB and WRs that can catch to boost the offense.

And need to recruit MWs QB Andrew Fernandez! But it's probably too late for that since UTEP already has 5 QBs on their roster: Metz, Greenlee, Johnson Torrez, and Tarrango.

Some other good QB recruits include: A.J. Briggs, Justin White and Montez.

I hope all of these players and more get recruited. So where is New Mexico State and New Mexico???

UTEP played three different QBs tonight against Southern Miss, Greenlee, Metz, and Torrez before losing 24-0. Both Greenlee and Metz have been a disappointment for the Miners. The defense played a decent game tonight but the offense should have stayed home because they couldn't get anything going. I don't believe the Miners will win a single game this season. And frankly speaking, I can't wait for this season to end!!!

Quote: Boaz
UTEP played three different QBs tonight against Southern Miss, Greenlee, Metz, and Torrez before losing 24-0. Both Greenlee and Metz have been a disappointment for the Miners. The defense played a decent game tonight but the offense should have stayed home because they couldn't get anything going. I don't believe the Miners will win a single game this season. And frankly speaking, I can't wait for this season to end!!!

UTEP won't ever have a great football program which wins their conference and bowl games until Diana Natalicio is out or retired and a new UTEP president that comes in cares 110% about the football program and not only cares but cares about winning games on the scoreboard. That is my opinion.

I heard the criticism about the UTEP President before and I'm assuming you mean she's not willing to spend top dollars on a good HC. Am I right?

UTEP had their opportunities.

I know everyone has their own feeling and thoughts about the Miners but as for me I don't like either of their quarterbacks none!!!!

Unfortunately, we have another season with Metz as QB. But after next season it will be Mark Torrez and Tarrango battling for the starting job. Unless UTEP recruits MWs Andrew Fernandez, who in my opinion is the better of the two. The bottom line is we need a QB that can deliver. There have been too many badly thrown balls and a equal amount of dropped passes by Receivers this season. So there is plenty of blame to go around for UTEPs dismal season so far.

Torres did a great job spreading the ball diwn the field at Eastwood. He's a guy. Who uses his mental and physical skills.

UTEP would have a QB if UTEP's heavy $$$ backers and supporters would have offered Del Valles Steven Montez a house, a car, a boat, a RV, a weekly paycheck and a bonus every time he scores, and other desirable stuff and today UTEP would have a real QB and be undefeated.

I know that's illegal I'm only joking so don't get all bent out of shape.

I agree Torrez and Rodriguez made a good team at Eastwood but Div 1 football is a different animal. Moreover, Torrez has blown every opportunity on the field so far. He's not the same Torrez that played for the Troopers. And WR Richie Rodriguez hasn't played all season. But I'm not giving up on them just yet.

I agree Torrez and Rodriguez made a good team at Eastwood but Div 1 football is a different animal. Moreover, Torrez has blown every opportunity on the field so far. He's not the same Torrez that played for the Troopers. And WR Richie Rodriguez hasn't played all season. But I'm not giving up on them just yet.

Mark Torrez has been given the opportunity of a lifetime. I say this because he did not have any offers other than the UTEP offer and he is already getting some playing time. That is the dream of every high school football player and especially high school football players that receive countless offers and do not get playing time as as freshman or sophomores in college. Torrez might be stinky by not performer well but he is blessed beyond belief so much so because of what I stated. Torrez is lucky to high heaven.

Richie Rodriquez is out imjured for the season.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m