Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
  
Author
Comment
Teams in and out of the Playoff hunt?

Teams are in the middle of the season.

Is it too early to have an idea as to which teams are in and out of the Playoff picture?

Re: Teams in and out of the Playoff hunt?

Quote: Edgar
Teams are in the middle of the season.

Is it too early to have an idea as to which teams are in and out of the Playoff picture?


First we have to figure out this big school small school crap that the UIL does and then take it from there. Instead of a traditional playoff format 1 vs 4 or 2vs 3. We live in a give mijo or mija a chance state. They really should do the playoffs in a traditional format instead of big school small school, just my opinion

Re: Teams in and out of the Playoff hunt?

Quote: Hulk2017
Quote: Edgar
Teams are in the middle of the season.

Is it too early to have an idea as to which teams are in and out of the Playoff picture?


First we have to figure out this big school small school crap that the UIL does and then take it from there. Instead of a traditional playoff format 1 vs 4 or 2vs 3. We live in a give mijo or mija a chance state. They really should do the playoffs in a traditional format instead of big school small school, just my opinion


I wish it all went back to only 3 teams from each district getting into the playoffs.

Re: Teams in and out of the Playoff hunt?

So what is the new format?

Re: Teams in and out of the Playoff hunt?

Quote: Hulk2017
Quote: Edgar
Teams are in the middle of the season.

Is it too early to have an idea as to which teams are in and out of the Playoff picture?


First we have to figure out this big school small school crap that the UIL does and then take it from there. Instead of a traditional playoff format 1 vs 4 or 2vs 3. We live in a give mijo or mija a chance state. They really should do the playoffs in a traditional format instead of big school small school, just my opinion


The big-school/small-school stuff has no affect on which schools make the playoffs. It only affects the playoff matchups once the playoff teams have been decided. The top 4 records in district play qualify for playoffs.

kinda early to determine much yet, but if forced to make some predictions, I'd say:
1-6a:
Montwood & Pebble Hills look like locks. Coronado, Franklin, El Dorado, and Americas likely fighting for the final spots.

1-5a:
I think Chapin, Andress, and Burges are locks. Bowie & Austin fighting for final spot.

2-5a:
Del Valle, Eastlake, and Parkland are locks. Bel Air & Canutillo fighting for the final spot.

Re: Teams in and out of the Playoff hunt?

Quote: mausDE
Quote: Hulk2017
Quote: Edgar
Teams are in the middle of the season.

Is it too early to have an idea as to which teams are in and out of the Playoff picture?


First we have to figure out this big school small school crap that the UIL does and then take it from there. Instead of a traditional playoff format 1 vs 4 or 2vs 3. We live in a give mijo or mija a chance state. They really should do the playoffs in a traditional format instead of big school small school, just my opinion


The big-school/small-school stuff has no affect on which schools make the playoffs. It only affects the playoff matchups once the playoff teams have been decided. The top 4 records in district play qualify for playoffs.

kinda early to determine much yet, but if forced to make some predictions, I'd say:
1-6a:
Montwood & Pebble Hills look like locks. Coronado, Franklin, El Dorado, and Americas likely fighting for the final spots.

1-5a:
I think Chapin, Andress, and Burges are locks. Bowie & Austin fighting for final spot.

2-5a:
Del Valle, Eastlake, and Parkland are locks. Bel Air & Canutillo fighting for the final spot.

he means like how it works once it's actually playoffs. in the previous year it was 1st seat from 15A against the 4th seat from 25A, 2nd seat 15A against the 3rd seat 25A, 3rd seat 15A against 2nd seat 25A, and 4th seat 15A against 1st seat 25A. if i'm not mistaken they changed it up this year so that the bigger schools that make the playoffs from 15A play the bigger schools that made playoffs from 25A. so most likely the the schools that'll be considered "bigger" from 15A will be Chapin and Andress and they'll probably be faced up against DV or Eastlake, assuming they're considered the "bigger" schools of the teams who'll make playoffs from 25A. I'm not quite sure how they'll decide who gets home field this time around. I would love it if they would revert back to the original format they had in place so hopefully they change it back before playoffs start. hopefully i cleared it up for anyone who was still unaware or did quite understand how playoffs worked this year

Re: Teams in and out of the Playoff hunt?

Quote: EP Football

he means like how it works once it's actually playoffs. in the previous year it was 1st seat from 15A against the 4th seat from 25A, 2nd seat 15A against the 3rd seat 25A, 3rd seat 15A against 2nd seat 25A, and 4th seat 15A against 1st seat 25A. if i'm not mistaken they changed it up this year so that the bigger schools that make the playoffs from 15A play the bigger schools that made playoffs from 25A. so most likely the the schools that'll be considered "bigger" from 15A will be Chapin and Andress and they'll probably be faced up against DV or Eastlake, assuming they're considered the "bigger" schools of the teams who'll make playoffs from 25A. I'm not quite sure how they'll decide who gets home field this time around. I would love it if they would revert back to the original format they had in place so hopefully they change it back before playoffs start. hopefully i cleared it up for anyone who was still unaware or did quite understand how playoffs worked this year


Well, the guy he's responding to was only asking about who is in and out of the playoff picture. At any rate, you are mistaken on the playoff setup. The big-school/small-school setup you describe has been going on a long time (since 08/09 season) & is not a new concept for this year. The way it works is that the 4 teams with the best 4 records in district play make the playoffs. Then the 2 teams in the group that have the largest enrollment go to the "big school" (aka div 1) bracket while the 2 teams with smaller enrollments go to the "small school" (aka div 2) bracket. Within each division, the 2 teams are seeded according to who has the better record. Then the higher seed from one district plays the lower seed from the opposing district.

Even back when only 3 teams were allowed into the playoffs, it worked similarly (at least when I was playing in '06). The only difference is that there was only 1 "big school" selected to go to the division 1 bracket. In the small-school bracket, they still had the higher seed of one district playing the lower seed of the next.

As far as I know, the seeding was never done with 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 for 5A/6A football (not sure about other sports or smaller divisions like 2A). Maybe some years by coincidence, the big-school/small-school split resulted in matchups of 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, but it was just coincidence rather than design.

As far as the home-field goes. It used to be that coaches of the 2 teams scheduled to play eachother had 2 choices. They'd either agree to choose a neutral field (usually something roughly halfway between each school), or choose to do a coin-flip to award one team the home field. However I think there was a rule change in recent years so now the higher seed automatically gets home-field in 6A bidistrict (round 1).

Re: Teams in and out of the Playoff hunt?

Teams who I think will get into the playoffs

1-6a
Montwood
Pebble Hills
El Dorado
Franklin

1-5a
Chapin
Andress
Burges
Austin

2-5a
Eastlake
Del Valle
Parkland
Canutillo



w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m