Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
  
Author
Comment
Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

Talk is this is quite probable come February based on enrollment numbers turned in at the end of October:

A big school and small school 5-A

The Bigs:

Del Valle
Eastlake
Bel Air
Canutillo
Andress
Chapin
Hanks


ALL the ABOVE SCHOOLS HAVE ENROLLMENTS WITHIN 300 kids of each other
Remember realignment is based on numbers, not what we on this board believe is competitive.

OUTSIDE POSSIBILITY
El Dorado (numbers down due to Pebble Hills)

The Smalls:

Bowie
Burges
EPHS
Irvin
Austin
Parkland
Ysleta
Riverside
Horizon
Jefferson



Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

your wrong dude canutillo is small school

Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

They are the smallest enrollment on the BIG side. However, being the largest school on the small side creates a 500-600 enrollment spread from lowest to highest on the small side. Whereas, if placed with the BIGS, the gap is only 300 kids from smallest to largest.

Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

We talked about this last year... Only five schools currently 5A would be big according to the state. Don't let their enrollment compared to other El Paso schools fool you. DV, Eastlake, Bel Air, Hanks, and Chapin would be big 5As with ElDo potentially being the sixth if enrollment is low enough. Eastlake is also rumored to be close to 6A. That would lead me to believe that ElDo would either be petitioned up to 6A by SISD or replace Eastlake giving SISD continued representation in 5A. All the rest would be small 5As and probably make two districts for football.

Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

Quote: KeepingItReal
They are the smallest enrollment on the BIG side. However, being the largest school on the small side creates a 500-600 enrollment spread from lowest to highest on the small side. Whereas, if placed with the BIGS, the gap is only 300 kids from smallest to largest.
If the information I have seen is correct Canutillo is actually decreasing in enrollment, from low 1600 last year to low 1500 this year. Big drop and small 5A seems more fair. The two middle schools that feed CHS show stagnant enrollment and the freshman class is on the small size compared to recent years. Brooks' player numbers are excellent thanks to his success, two very strong middle school programs and of course our life blood from 6 years and up the Westside Eagles, Upper Valley Longhorns, Westside Mustangs, Sun Devils and the rest of our GREAT recreation football partners. Thanks to their hard work and devotion we continue to have a strong football program at CHS at whatever level we play.

Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

DV Eastlake and Chapin run the Bigs.... If Eldo moves down they would be up there as well. In the Smalls its all Parkland

Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

El Do is expecting to drop down to 5A. From what I've heard, most staff has been informed about them dropping down.

Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

And... SISD redid their boundaries, the result is Montwood and Americas nearing 3000 students (because their elementary and middle schools have low enrollment. Eastlake's numbers would be 5A still.

EP Football Insider

Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

Quote: DesertGators91
And... SISD redid their boundaries, the result is Montwood and Americas nearing 3000 students (because their elementary and middle schools have low enrollment. Eastlake's numbers would be 5A still.

EP Football Insider


I wonder what plan SISD has for Montwood & Americas to house those kind of enrollment numbers. I know about 7-10 years ago, Franklin and Americas were at 2900-3100 students and that's why EPISD converted the old Hornedo campus behind Franklin HS to be the 9th grade center. Eastlake helped with the overcrowding at Americas when it opened. El Do had the same issue but that campus seems to be bigger than Montwood or Americas and was able to house that enrollment before PHHS was built..

My point is Montwood and Americas are landlocked and really don't have any more room to build classroom additions and I don't see how SISD can have those campuses accommodate that many students and still have them be successful academically with the Student to Teacher ratio. Maybe SISD should consolidate elementary and middle schools since you mentioned that SISD redid its boundaries because of dwindling or stagnant enrollment at certain campuses.

Re: Possible NEW 5-A after realignment in February

Quote: KeepingItReal
Talk is this is quite probable come February based on enrollment numbers turned in at the end of October:

A big school and small school 5-A

The Bigs:

Del Valle
Eastlake
Bel Air
Canutillo
Andress
Chapin
Hanks


ALL the ABOVE SCHOOLS HAVE ENROLLMENTS WITHIN 300 kids of each other
Remember realignment is based on numbers, not what we on this board believe is competitive.

OUTSIDE POSSIBILITY
El Dorado (numbers down due to Pebble Hills)

The Smalls:

Bowie
Burges
EPHS
Irvin
Austin
Parkland
Ysleta
Riverside
Horizon
Jefferson




I don't really see Spencer letting Hanks' enrollment numbers rise too much. She would probably get rid of all the problem students that are transfers before she would let Hanks move up to 6A. Hanks football can't even compete at the 2-5A level, there is no way they'd compete at the 6-A level. That's the whole reason Hanks dropped to 2-5A to begin with.



w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m