EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are JV wins good indicators of a team's future success or nah?

Pebble Hills JV beat Eastwood JV 43-18.

Do you think JV wins are good indicators of a team's success?

Or do wins at the JV level really don't matter as players eventually get bigger, faster, smarter, etc... and players have better or worse coaching at the varsity level?

What do you we make of JV games? Anything of value to take from this level?

Re: Are JV wins good indicators of a team's future success or nah?

Answer to your question is no but also yes.

In my opinion... JV successes usually indicates depth from program to program, not necessarily future Varsity success. I like to see that "depth" show itself in the JV sophomores playing on the O and D lines as well as a few skill guys developing their bodies for Varsity play. If that "depth" is in those areas, then I'm more inclined to believe it will translate into Varsity wins in the future.

FarEastside
Pebble Hills JV beat Eastwood JV 43-18.

Do you think JV wins are good indicators of a team's success?

If you mean indicator of future varsity success, I think no. Sometimes good players bypass JV entirely and are moved up to varsity as juniors and even sophomores. This obviously hurts the prospects of the JV team even though it can help future varsity success by giving that player more varsity experience.

At least when I was playing, there were some times that seniors at the end of the varsity depth chart would get playing time on JV in weeks that they didn’t get any snaps in on varsity, and thus were still eligible for the JV game. While this is a nice gesture to reward unsung guys that have put a lot of work into the program over their 4 years and don’t have many playing chances left, it might inflate JV success with seasoned players that are about to graduate and are not representative of future talent moving to varsity. Now I’m not sure if the school still does this or if others do. Maybe some find ways to split up this dynamic by have both a JV squad and a “B” squad besides the varsity, but it might be that not every school has enough players in their program to do this.

In the case of Pebble Hills,I Would say yes. Pebble hills were staked with Seniors this year. A lot of talent had to go to JV. Next year should be good with remaining Varsity-Juniors along with JV moving up the ranks.

I would say no. I think freshman is a better indicator. Usually the better sophomores move up.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m