EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Playoff Matches Senerios

Ok, we are down to the last week of the regular season and the playoff picture is pretty much set. Who will play who in both 6A & 5A, and where?

Re: Playoff Matches Senerios

I don't know all I know is that 2-5A is going to sweep 1-5A in the 1st Round.

Edgar

Great observation

If Bel Air makes the playoffs, will they be D1 or D2? If they are D1, who will drop? Del Valle or Eastlake?

Coronado will play the winner of Odessa Permian vs Lee Rebels. It will be good experience to play OP at legendary Ratliff Stadium in Odessa.

It is still a bit early but here are my projections for 6A:

Permian vs Coronado
Lee vs El Dorado

Montwood vs Midland
Pebble Hills vs San Angelo Central

Permian and Montwood would host. Im not sure about the other two.

For 5A:

Del Valle vs Chapin
Bel Air vs Andress

Bowie vs Eastlake
Burges vs Parkland

The 4th playoff spot in 1-5A is definitely up for grabs. El Paso, Bowie, and Irvin all have a 2-4 record. Not sure how 1-5A does their playoff tie-breakers. Logic would dictate head to head then point differential. But something tells me they do coin flip.

However if logic prevails and the favorites win out next week, then Bowie will beat Jeff, Irvin will beat Austin, and El Paso will lose to Burges leaving Bowie and Irvin tied for fourth at 3-4. If 1-5A does head to head, Irvin gets in as a result of their win over Bowie and will most likely face Eastlake in the bi-district round. But again, I think 1-5A uses a coin flip to decide tie breakers....

On the 2-5A side, things are pretty much decided. If Bel Air defeats Ysleta it does not matter what Canutillo does as Bel Air has the tie breaker on Canutillo and Bel Air would get the fourth playoff spot. They would be big school along with Del Valle.

If Bel Air loses and Canutillo beats Eastlake, then Canutillo would get the fourth playoff spot and would go small school with Eastlake then becoming the second seed big school behind Del Valle.

Interesting time of the season!

Eastlake will have a walk in the park if Bel Air makes the playoffs. Del Valle will have a tough match up against Chapin.

KarlosY

This will be a heck of a game!!!!

Koolarrow
KarlosY

I Disagree. Central will mow down the Spartans. 56-7

BOBCAT
Koolarrow
KarlosY

I have to agree with BOBCAT just as Midland is going to mow down Montwood Central will mow down the Spartans as well.

4th Spot
The 4th playoff spot in 1-5A is definitely up for grabs. El Paso, Bowie, and Irvin all have a 2-4 record. Not sure how 1-5A does their playoff tie-breakers. Logic would dictate head to head then point differential. But something tells me they do coin flip.

However if logic prevails and the favorites win out next week, then Bowie will beat Jeff, Irvin will beat Austin, and El Paso will lose to Burges leaving Bowie and Irvin tied for fourth at 3-4. If 1-5A does head to head, Irvin gets in as a result of their win over Bowie and will most likely face Eastlake in the bi-district round. But again, I think 1-5A uses a coin flip to decide tie breakers....

On the 2-5A side, things are pretty much decided. If Bel Air defeats Ysleta it does not matter what Canutillo does as Bel Air has the tie breaker on Canutillo and Bel Air would get the fourth playoff spot. They would be big school along with Del Valle.

If Bel Air loses and Canutillo beats Eastlake, then Canutillo would get the fourth playoff spot and would go small school with Eastlake then becoming the second seed big school behind Del Valle.

I think 1-5A does head to head for 2 teams and a coin flip for 3+ teams.

Larry
BOBCAT
Koolarrow
KarlosY

I have to agree with BOBCAT just as Midland is going to mow down Montwood Central will mow down the Spartans as well.

Awww.... did montwood and pebble hills beat your team and you are bitter? Lol get over it. Go Rams!

Bobcat this will be a good game no El Paso team will get mowed down.

RAM 56
Bobcat this will be a good game no El Paso team will get mowed down.

OH YES THEY WILL.

MOJO will destroy Coronado

Lee will destroy El Dorado

Central will destroy Pebble

Midland High will play Montwood closer.

Every single 1-6A team out of El Paso is going to be eliminated in the 1st RD of the TX ST PLAYOFFS. I guarantee it! You heard it here first.

Outsider
Every single 1-6A team out of El Paso is going to be eliminated in the 1st RD of the TX ST PLAYOFFS. I guarantee it! You heard it here first.

I bet you say that every single year. You might be right 75% of the time, but I say at least one team advances.

no it won't

Larry
BOBCAT
Koolarrow
KarlosY

central wins and montwood wins

Outsider

hasnt there been a team out of 1-6a advance every year recently

KarlosY
Outsider

I bet you say that every single year. You might be right 75% of the time, but I say at least one team advances.

mw will advance evryone else will get beat down. ph still to new not ready for a San angelo central. Permian and Lee just to much for their matchup but mw will roll easily

1-5A might get even crazier. If Austin beats Irvin (which it might) and Jeff bests Bowie (they got momentum) and EPHS winds up losing as expected, then there is a five way tie for the last playoff spot. Anyone have a five sided coin?

4th Spot

In a regular playoff format/bracket it should be 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 no big school going against big school or small school going against small school this is really a confusing and ignorant way to play football, down south football is not played this way, DOWN SOUTH.

what's confusing. this has been the case for a while since they want to 4 teams.

what's confusing. this has been the case for a while since they want to 4 teams.

Ok so when you make a bracket for anything a tournament, for fun or anything do you say the big person has to take on the big person or the small person has to take on the small person. No you don’t because it doesn’t matter the size it’s determined on how they placed or what number they pulled.

that's classifications and divisions again what's confusing.

Boxing, Wrestling, NCAA FBS vs NCAA FCS.....size does matter....lol

Larry

Hasn't Montwood already "mowed down" Midland once this year?

Down South
Boxing, Wrestling, NCAA FBS vs NCAA FCS.....size does matter....lol

So Mike Tyson knocking out bigger opponents mattered, oh that was different though right. All I’m saying is it should be 1 vs 4 2 vs 3 that’s how brackets are made

Tap dancing King Fu Master

I swear some of you just don't know football.

Montwood beat Midland almost 2 1/2 months ago. In football time 2 1/2 months ago is a very very very long time which means teams either improve or they don't. Montwood and Midland have both improved in some areas.

Midland last week lost to a super duper solid great tough San Angelo Central team 21-14.

I'm not going to call Montwood's defense swiss cheese like many do in this board but Midland back then did happen to put up 53 big ones on the scoreboard on Montwoods defense. What's even worse and cause for concern for Montwood is that this Midland team that put up 53 big ones on Montwood back then kept losing games after that. Everyone was beating Midland which says Midland was really not that good of a team back then but yet they put up 53 big ones on Montwood? Yes Montwood ended up beating Midland 2 1/2 months ago 58-53 but Midland was not that good of a team back then and yet they almost beat Montwood 53-58?

So Montwood did not mow down Midland. 58-53 is far from being a mow down. It's more like 58-53 is a cause for concern for Montwood and Midland will come into this game confident and wants payback.

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

Muskrat

Montwood beat Midland almost 2 1/2 months ago. In football time 2 1/2 months ago is a very very very long time which means teams either improve or they don't. Montwood and Midland have both improved in some areas.

Midland last week lost to a super duper solid great tough San Angelo Central team 21-14.

I'm not going to call Montwood's defense swiss cheese like many do in this board but Midland back then did happen to put up 53 big ones on the scoreboard on Montwoods defense. What's even worse and cause for concern for Montwood is that this Midland team that put up 53 big ones on Montwood back then kept losing games. Everyone was beating Midland which says Midland was really not all that great of a team back then but yet they put up 53 big ones on Montwood? Yes Montwood ended up beating Midland 2 months ago 58-53 but Midland was not that great of a team back then and yet they almost beat Montwood 53-58?

Montwood did not mow down Midland. 58-53 is far from being a mow down. It's more like 58-53 a cause for concern and Midland will come in confident and wants payback.

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41
You’re probably not from around here and probably from the basin area, but this has already been discussed before. Of course teams either get stronger or weaker as the season progresses and Midland most definitely has, as too has Montwood. Montwood was up 55-20 or 30 something in the 3rd when the coach made a decision to put the 2’s in. Fernandez had already thrown for 8 Td’s and I believe the high school record is 10, so he was well on his way of either tieing or even breaking that record. I wouldn’t say mowing down but I would call it a win in comfortable fashion. Bobcats think they’ll mow Pebble Hills down, but there’s no way I see that happening and could very well be an upset. Either way I like that you Midessa folks are starting to sit up and take notice of which El Paso team you’ll be facing. But I can already hear the excuses when you lose, about how this year’s team wasn’t that good but wait till next year. Good luck to all teams and I’m sure El Paso will give it there all and rattle some feathers along the way. Go Rams!!!!

Montwood was up 55-34 going into the 4th and thats when Midland came back. Similar to this last game vs Pebble Hills, final score was much, much closer after Montwood went up by multiple scores. I dont know if they started playing prevent or the players just got complacent or maybe even tired. That is some concern going forward.

Quote from Felix Chavez story on game

The Rams build their lead in the second half and led 55-28 and 58-34 before Midland High scored a handful of touchdowns for the final margin.

Muskrat

I'm not going to call Montwood's defense swiss cheese like many do in this board but Midland back then did happen to put up 53 big ones on the scoreboard on Montwoods defense. What's even worse and cause for concern for Montwood is that this Midland team that put up 53 big ones on Montwood back then kept losing games after that. Everyone was beating Midland which says Midland was really not that good of a team back then but yet they put up 53 big ones on Montwood? Yes Montwood ended up beating Midland 2 1/2 months ago 58-53 but Midland was not that good of a team back then and yet they almost beat Montwood 53-58?

So Montwood did not mow down Midland. 58-53 is far from being a mow down. It's more like 58-53 is a cause for concern for Montwood and Midland will come into this game confident and wants payback.

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

naw won't happen

Larry

Not with their (Midland) current starting QB. Midland has been a lot better as of late. Played San Angelo very tough last week losing 21-14. If Montwood plays up to their ability, they'll win but don't think Midland will just roll over.

Yes they scored 20 in the forth quarter on Montwoods 2nd and 3rd string. I don't believe that will happen this time. All year our 2nd string has played in almost all the games. Montwood is ready for the playoffs. Next man up if needed Go RAMS.

A week away from the playoffs and that means that right now is about the time when out of town dads, brothers, or whomever out of town come into this forum. I've been coming to this message board for years and those of you who have also know this. So those of you that just started coming to this message board this year be ready cause these out of towners will come all of a sudden 2 to 3 of them and at times in herds all at once several of them to this message board talking a big game especially in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs. If you choose to stay quiet that's fine I and I'm sure a couple other veterans of this message board will go toe to toe with these out of towners as we have done so in the past.

Spartandad Montwood did play they're starting QB it was his first game back.

In 5A Division 1 the scenarios are as follows

Del Valle will play the loser of the Andress/Chapin Matchup

If Bel Air wins then they will play the winner of the Andress/Chapin matchup
If Bel Air loses and Canutillo wins then Eastlake will play the winner of the Andress/Chapin matchup

If Eastlake is in Division 2 then they will play either Bowie, Irvin, El Paso, Jefferson, or Austin

Parkland will play Burges.

If Canutillo ends up in the playoffs then they will play Burges and Parkland will play either Irvin, Bowie, El Paso, Jefferson or Austin

Hope this clears up things for everyone!!!!!

RAM56
Spartandad Montwood did play they're starting QB it was his first game back.

I've been corrected....But I stand by their playing better than they did early in the season.

The playoffs start this Friday for Austin, Bowie, El Paso, Jefferson, and Irvin. Win and increase their chances for the fourth playoff spot in 1-5A. Lose and stay home. Good luck to these schools and their athletes as they reach for the Texas State Playoffs.....

Muskrat

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

Midland is 2-7 this season. Montwopd has their stuff together and working on a perfect season. Let Midland come for payback because just like last time, they will be disappointed. No team with a 2-7 record will come into a game against a team that beat them already and be confident. Montwood is ready and will beat midland for a second time this year!!! Go Rams!

Rams2018
Muskrat

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

Midland is 2-7 this season. Montwopd has their stuff together and working on a perfect season. Let Midland come for payback because just like last time, they will be disappointed. No team with a 2-7 record will come into a game against a team that beat them already and be confident. Montwood is ready and will beat midland for a second time this year!!! Go Rams!

As I said some of you just don't know football.

A 2-7 team scored 53 big ones. Keep ignoring that and playing the optimistic hopeful card.

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

KarlosY
It is still a bit early but here are my projections for 6A:

Permian vs Coronado
Lee vs El Dorado

Montwood vs Midland

Permian and Montwood would host. Im not sure about the other two.

For 5A:

Del Valle vs Chapin
Bel Air vs Andress

Bowie vs Eastlake
Burges vs Parkland
. San Angelo will
Host 2-6A Champions

Muskrat

So Montwood did not mow down Midland. 58-53 is far from being a mow down. It's more like 58-53 is a cause for concern for Montwood and Midland will come into this game confident and wants payback. Montwood 2nd String played the entire 3rd and 4th quarters. And we’re Victorious!

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

Muskrat
Rams2018
Muskrat

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

A 2-7 team scored 53 big ones. Keep ignoring that and playing the optimistic hopeful card.

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

I know football very well. I am not some overweight, armchair qb. You are a fool. Montwood takes it. A 2-7 record says it all!!!!

Rams2018
Muskrat
Rams2018
Muskrat

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

I know football very well. I am not some overweight, armchair qb. You are a fool. Montwood takes it. A 2-7 record says it all!!!!

Midland the 2-7 team put up 53 big ones on Montwood 2 1/2 months ago and just last week Midland 14 San Angelo Central 21. That says it all!!!!!

Muskrat
Rams2018
Muskrat
Rams2018
Muskrat

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

Midland the 2-7 team put up 53 big ones on Montwood 2 1/2 months ago and just last week Midland 14 San Angelo Central 21. That says it all!!!!!

You are still stupid. You do realize that montwood had their 2nd string in for the 2nd half....which means Rams 2nd string beat Midland. lol keep talking. Whatever makes you sleep better at night. Guess you will see...

Muskrat
Rams2018
Muskrat
Rams2018
Muskrat

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

So youre saying sa central sucks too......??? "53 big ones" don't mean sh%t when the game was over in the first half you're a tool get out of here!!

Any team can win any given day. Look at EPHS losing to a weak Jeff 22-0 this past Friday. Montwood don’t take Midland lightly, they have even more reason to wanna win (besides wanting to advance to area of course) considering how they lost to y’all earlier in the pre season. Just do what y’all do best and win. More importantly prove all those basin f**kers wrong.

the northeaster

If Bel Air loses and Canutillo wins then Eastlake will play the winner of the Andress/Chapin matchup

If Eastlake is in Division 2 then they will play either Bowie, Irvin, El Paso, Jefferson, or Austin

If Canutillo ends up in the playoffs then they will play Burges and Parkland will play either Irvin, Bowie, El Paso, Jefferson or Austin

canutillo isn't in.

Cinco
the northeaster

canutillo isn't in.

Canutillo is in the Playoffs IF they beat Eastlake and Bel Air loses to Ysleta.

UpperValley
Cinco
the northeaster

canutillo isn't in.

Sorry to say but neither of those scenarios will happen!!!

Cats32
UpperValley
Cinco
the northeaster

canutillo isn't in.

No matter what you think or say expert analyst but it's still a possibility. Just as it's a possiblity that Montwood can go on to win State. Montwood going on to win state will not happen ofcourse but it's a possibility a long long long very long shot with more longs attached to that to the moon and back but it's still a possibility.

Montwood going on to win State is like 1 out of a Million which is still a possibility. There's still a chance.

UpperValley
Cats32
UpperValley
Cinco
the northeaster

canutillo isn't in.

No matter what you think or say expert analyst but it's still a possibility. Just as it's a possiblity that Montwood can go on to win State. Montwood going on to win state will not happen ofcourse but it's a possibility a long long long very long shot with more longs attached to that to the moon and back but it's still a possibility.

Montwood going on to win State is like 1 out of a Million which is still a possibility. There's still a chance.

Cute!!!! but I think it better suite’s Canutillo’s chance of getting in the playoffs this year . But good luck in the playoffs if you do

Cats32
UpperValley
Cats32
UpperValley
Cinco
the northeaster

canutillo isn't in.

Cute!!!! but I think it better suite’s Canutillo’s chance of getting in the playoffs this year . But good luck in the playoffs if you do

Good luck in Montwood getting past the first round and if they do lots and lots and lots of good luck in getting past the 2nd round which I think they won't but there is that possibility.

I personally would like the head to head toe breaker; but what f just what if Eastwood beats Montwood. They will be tied with the winner of the PHHS vs ED winner. Will there be a coin toss; so are playoff matchups really set already?

Muskrat
Rams2018
Muskrat

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

Muskrat ... Like you said "some of you just don't know football" and sounds like you speak from experience. Football like most sports is 90% mental. Midland comes here knowing they have been beaten by Montwood. That alone plays a huge factor. Maybe in your X-Box it doesn't matter but on the real Gridiron it makes a huge difference..

Falconite
Muskrat
Rams2018
Muskrat

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

My Prediction
Midland 63 Montwood 41

Muskrat ... Like you said "some of you just don't know football" and sounds like you speak from experience. Football like most sports is 90% mental. Midland comes here knowing they have been beaten by Montwood. That alone plays a huge factor. Maybe in your X-Box it doesn't matter but on the real Gridiron it makes a huge difference..

First thing is I am 100% behind Montwood against Midland. Falconite knowing a team beat you in the past can serve as a motivator to not let it happen again. I believe the key will be MHS jumping out early and creating doubt in the Midland player's mind. the longer they let them hang around the more dangerous they can become.
Now that 63-14 prediction is absolutely ridiculous.

By the mighty power of my Hammer El Paso teams, sss plural, will reach the 3rd round of the playoffs or my name isn't Thorsito God of Thunder.

question
I personally would like the head to head toe breaker; but what f just what if Eastwood beats Montwood. They will be tied with the winner of the PHHS vs ED winner. Will there be a coin toss; so are playoff matchups really set already?

Anyone have an answer?

Noone answers because they know Montwood is going to pounce on Eastwood.

Hulk2017
Edgar

Great observation

Why, thank you. That revelation actually came to me while I was on the toilet.

question
question

Anyone have an answer?

Four playoff teams and seeding are already set for 1-6A:

6A big schools are #1 El Do and #2 Coronado. 6A small schools are #1 Montwood and #2 Pebble Hills. Someone else might be able to tell you what those potential matchups are. I haven't looked at 2-6A.

Eastwood beating Montwood would simply mean that Montwood would share the district title with El Do/Pebble Hills winner, but wouldn't affect playoff seeding because of the Montwood head-to-head victory over Pebble Hills.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m