EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
So, what is the "El Paso mentality"

Coming to this forum over the years, I gave seen many post things like "typical El Pasoan" OR "typical El Paso mentality"

What exactly does that mean? Being from El Paso and playing hs fb here, I am really confused on why people around here portray our city and communities with such negativity. I think all El Paso teams want to win and be successful, but how if we are getting this fictional narrative that EP is not capable or deserving or hard working or mentally tough from our own community? Some use that argument to blast other people on here for a number of reasons. Aren't we the ones with the "El Paso mentality" when we constantly blast each other with this nonsense? Stop with your hyper-pretentious superiority complex!!

I don't know about you all, but I'm getting tired of that argument and I don't believe it. How did A Jones do it, or Canutillo, or Haskins,? With that "mentality?" I dont think so! EP does have respect around the state and country, we just need to continue. I am officialy re-coining "El Paso Mentality" to mean grit, toughness, determination, passion, and any other positive connotation associated with FB!!

Enough said.

Re: So, what is the "El Paso mentality"

I've seen and heard those words El Paso Paso mentality used in many places not only within this board. I've heard it at UTEP tailgates like so

Pinche El Pasoans are disappointed that our Miners are losing and they criticize the team and coaches but yet they don't do anything about it like buy tickets and come to the games in attempt to help the program with support and showing them that the city of El Paso is behind them. Pinche El Paso mentality.

Danny
I've seen and heard those words El Paso Paso mentality used in many places not only within this board. I've heard it at UTEP tailgates like so

Pinche El Pasoans are disappointed that our Miners are losing and they criticize the team and coaches but yet they don't do anything about it like buy tickets and come to the games in attempt to help the program with support and showing them that the city of El Paso is behind them. Pinche El Paso mentality.

lol

Most of the time the El Paso Mentality verbiage is utilized in that manner where El Pasoans want more or better from their city and businesses but they want it done for free or really really cheap.

To me I see El Paso mentality as El Pasoans being an unappreciative people, jealous people, and a it's all about me me me me me me me me type of attitude.

In terms of El Paso HS football and this message board the El Paso mentality is often used as so

A El Paso TX HS football team advances to 2nd or 3rd RD of the Playoffs and will be playing a out of town team. Supporters of that team never or hardly posted within this message board but they criticized the people who post in this message board but now that their team is in the 2nd RD or 3rd RD of the Playoffs to play an out of town team they all of a sudden feel like posting in this message board asking for everyone, who they criticized, to support their team against that out of town team and to show that El Paso support.

That can be seen as El Paso mentality.

Ok so a year passes and another playoff season comes and so those same people that came in this message board a year ago asking practically begging for support of their team, whose team did not make the Playoffs this time around, are nowhere to be found to support the teams in the playoffs. Where are those people? Where is their El Paso support?

That can be seen as El Paso mentality by many.

Well to even acknowledge such a thing as "El Paso Mentality" is a symptom of "El Paso Mentality". What I mean by that, is that pointing to any behavior as somehow exclusive to El Paso, shows a lack of worldliness. Everywhere you go, the fans complain in some capacity or another about the team not living up to expectations. If you don't cheer on other teams because yours is no longer in the playoffs....that's perfectly normal and widespread too. If anything the pervasive feeling that something is uniquely wrong with El Paso, is the "El Paso Mentality" at it's finest. Having lived in other large cities, honestly El Paso is pretty great. Great place to raise a family, the weather isn't bad, low cost of living. "Oh boo-hoo, El Paso doesn't have job opportunities", that's okay, we're getting there. Most cities are having a hell of a time adjusting to what the modern economy and industry is. It's like when a politician refers to a city or town as "blue collar", that's not unique.

El Pasoans "we need a Football or Soccer team semi pro, minor or whatever in El Paso"

El Pasoan's family and friends "yeah huh we do that would be great"

Football and Soccer team comes then no one supports-----El Paso Mentality

Obviously there are lots of ways and reasons why one would say El Paso mentality. Here is another. Team is winning everyone wants to help out the team and be involved with the booster club and show up to several meetings everyone and their grandmother is supporting pushing their tshirts and selling other items with such enthusiasm with a smile and high energy. Team is losing noone wants to help out the team and do not want to be involved with the booster club and those 3 to 5 that are in the booster club miss meetings and those that do show up lack enthusiasm, sad face and no energy.

Yeah you can say the lack of support is the "El Paso Mentality". I think on terms of high school football, the phrase is used because teams settle. Like the whole Montwood and Pebble Hills drama after the game. There have been numerous posts about being the district champion as if that was their only goal. A district championship is great, but the goal should be state and from what I have read it just seems like Pebble Hills has given up now. One of their supporters said that win or lose vs. SA Central the Pebble Hills community should be proud. I'm not trying to put words in their fans mouths, but that sounds like they have already accepted a loss. And it's not just these two teams. Every team does this. The most proud we have been is Canutillo in 2014, but even now non-Canutillo fans attack that achievement (and I understand why sometimes) but Canutillo fans act like no other team in El Paso can do that. After the 2nd round it seems like teams are content with whatever happens next. I think it also has a lot to do with leadership in the off season. If players (especially young players) see their peer leaders taking days off, then they think it's ok to do the same. Coaches allowing their "studs" to get away with stuff sends a message to other players. Head coaches not requiring their coaches to attend clinics (especially free ones) is also unacceptable and it shows in their program. Players seeing coaches absent or uninvolved during the summer programs also sends them a sign. If El Paso teams want success in the playoffs, they have to put in the work themselves. It starts with the coaches and players, but they do need support from their community. Whether we admit it or not, that's who teams play for. If you disagree with me I am sorry, but this is just my opinion.

I believe those are all good points but those points occur throughout the country not only in El Paso but what I think is happening is that people in El Paso have given all those points a name El Paso Mentality.

I take a huge offense to that term as it usually has a negative connotation associated with it. I am proud to say I was born and raised in this beautiful city. To me, the true El Paso mentality is that of resilience, survival, and toughness. That Canutillo team of 2014 is the very reflection of the true El Paso mentality. But, outsiders will have you believe that we are, somehow, different because we are not the same then rest of Texas. Yet, they live here amongst us in our beautiful city and we allow them to disrespect the city. My thought has always been that if you don't like it here or don't like our people, get the hell out to whatever dump you came from. Truth is, every city does not support their team when they loose (research Golden State Warriors if you need evidence). Every city gloats and gets on the message boards when they are winning. Every city has negative people who like to demean other teams successes to hide their own teams weaknesses. So don't give me that BS about El Paso being less than or worse than any other place. Be proud and defend our city! Otherwise, YOU are part of the problem. For the record, I support all El Paso schools against any out of town foes.

I take a huge offense to that term as it usually has a negative connotation associated with it. I am proud to say I was born and raised in this beautiful city. To me, the true El Paso mentality is that of resilience, survival, and toughness. That Canutillo team of 2014 is the very reflection of the true El Paso mentality. But, outsiders will have you believe that we are, somehow, different because we are not the same then rest of Texas. Yet, they live here amongst us in our beautiful city and we allow them to disrespect the city. My thought has always been that if you don't like it here or don't like our people, get the hell out to whatever dump you came from. Truth is, every city does not support their team when they loose (research Golden State Warriors if you need evidence). Every city gloats and gets on the message boards when they are winning. Every city has negative people who like to demean other teams successes to hide their own teams weaknesses. So don't give me that BS about El Paso being less than or worse than any other place. Be proud and defend our city! Otherwise, YOU are part of the problem. For the record, I support all El Paso schools against any out of town foes.

That post of yours reeks of El Paso mentality. That anger of yours how you take offense to things so easily. I can practically hear you screaming, yelling, shouting those words in your post through the internet. Relax, calm thyself, and stop with that El Paso mentality.

I'm only joking don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm with you but most won't be.

Rico

That post of yours reeks of El Paso mentality. That anger of yours how you take offense to things so easily. I can practically hear you screaming, yelling, shouting those words in your post through the internet. Relax, calm thyself, and stop with that El Paso mentality.

I'm only joking don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm with you but most won't be.

Lol... shows exactly how little you know me or El Paso. Anger is a demon that only exist in your passive aggressive comments. Have a good day, sir.

Rico

Lol... shows exactly how little you know me or El Paso. Anger is a demon that only exist in your passive aggressive comments. Have a good day, sir.

The only thing passive aggressive about me is that I want to pass this football aggressively to you so it won't be intercepted so that you may take it in for the score. Have a good night, sir or ma'am.

Williams
I believe those are all good points but those points occur throughout the country not only in El Paso but what I think is happening is that people in El Paso have given all those points a name El Paso Mentality.

You are exactly right. I apologize I should have clarified that what I said doesn't only pertain to El Paso. I have lived in other cities in Texas, Colorado, and Oklahoma, and many schools/towns have the same problem. People in El Paso just label it as the city's mentality. El Paso can be a wonderful city and in many ways it is, but I will say there are problems when it comes to support. Montwood and Pebble Hills shouldn't be the only game that sells out in my opinion. Every game should have a big crowd and then I feel you will see coaches and players start caring more. I personally believe it should be the other way around, but if it has been like this for a while, it won't change anytime soon.

Well, thank you to those that contributed to this post. It's obvious that there is not 1 clear "meaning" to what people might consider the El Paso mentality.

I guess it seems paradoxical/contadictory to call someone out giving them the "typical El Pasoan" argument or similar on whatever issue when we want the attitude to change. Arent we spreading the "mentality" when we do that? That label affects everyone. Kids read it. We can't let them believe it.

We have to champion our city so future generations only see it as a strong city with good people.

Now I'm just ranting, thanks for listening...

Good luck to all the teams in the playoffs, make EP proud!

The truth is there is a dark cloud hovering in El Paso with some sort of twisted mentality. Just look at some of the comments in this board and throughout twitter and facebook where El Pasoans whose teams did not make the playoffs are wishing El Paso teams lose to out of town teams. That type of behavior if you will deserves a title or name and I believe that is what some have done they have labeled it El Paso Mentality.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m