EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Texas High school Football Coaches Salaries

This is just sad that El Paso coaches can’t break 90k but two of them and even then not by much. Look at the schools in the Rio Grande Valley

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/special-reports/databases/article168974117.html

Re: Texas High school Football Coaches Salaries

Yeah, we have some good coaching in El Paso and the local teams are improving. However, there is not a good track record for El Paso teams once they leave El Paso county. How do you justify 100k salary if the success is not there. Some of the coaches listed with 100k salaries have had success in the playoffs and some have state championships. Im all for better salaries for our El Paso coaches, but we need to see results as well. El Paso teams need to start winning when it counts (playoffs), when El Paso starts beign well represented in the state playoffs and advancing deep in the tournament year after year, salaries should improve and im all for it.

Big
Yeah, we have some good coaching in El Paso and the local teams are improving. However, there is not a good track record for El Paso teams once they leave El Paso county. How do you justify 100k salary if the success is not there. Some of the coaches listed with 100k salaries have had success in the playoffs and some have state championships. Im all for better salaries for our El Paso coaches, but we need to see results as well. El Paso teams need to start winning when it counts (playoffs), when El Paso starts beign well represented in the state playoffs and advancing deep in the tournament year after year, salaries should improve and im all for it.

I agree to an extent on some of the big name schools but take a look at some Rio Grande Valley schools for example Brownsville Hanna my sons school the coach makes 102K and they finally made the playoffs after having an 8 year drought.

Also out depends how much money each district has. El Paul's districts may not be able to afford 100k salaries.

Having such a large amount of schools basically thins out coach's salaries. Making a run in the playoffs will not change how much a district has to pay their respective coaches.

With High Salaries comes High Expectations.... Produce or move on. Most El Paso Coaches are not held accountable for their win / loss ratio,

Priorities skewed in today's society. Sorry.

My wife teachers 22 kids a day from 7:30 - 3:15. 180 days. Stays another 2 hours after school with lesson planning or uil coaching events.

Deals with ADHD, Discipline, STAAR Testing Pressures, Faculty Meetings, Parent Meetings, Curriculum Changes, and on and on and on.

Goes home and grades papers and calls parents. makes $40,000 less than a head football coach?! Bull Crap!

I don't want to hear about the other duties. I have seen it in action as I teach and am around it.

If not for teachers like her.........Your idolized "athletes would not be eligible!

Oh yea, she also does not have 8-12 assistants to pawn off other duties!

Sadly, sports is looked upon as having a higher meaning in life by so many.

Let's get real. This is high school. Let's get real and wake up and start prioritizing things for our children.

These few few kids that get the D1 offers did not get them due to coaching. They have the god given talents. You can pay all el paso coaches 200,000 and we still are not going anywhere folks. I hate to break your hearts and dreams.

cma fan

My wife teachers 22 kids a day from 7:30 - 3:15. 180 days. Stays another 2 hours after school with lesson planning or uil coaching events.

Deals with ADHD, Discipline, STAAR Testing Pressures, Faculty Meetings, Parent Meetings, Curriculum Changes, and on and on and on.

Goes home and grades papers and calls parents. makes $40,000 less than a head football coach?! Bull Crap!

I don't want to hear about the other duties. I have seen it in action as I teach and am around it.

If not for teachers like her.........Your idolized "athletes would not be eligible!

Let's get real. This is high school. Let's get real and wake up and start prioritizing things for our children.

These few few kids that get the D1 offers did not get them due to coaching. They have the god given talents. You can pay all el paso coaches 200,000 and we still are not going anywhere folks. I hate to break your hearts and dreams.

You heartbreaker you. You destroyer of dreams you. Why do you have to poop in the party. Instead coming in here and being a party pooper go help your wife grade papers or something.

Don't go getting all El Paso mentality on me by taking offense to that post of mine.

cma fan

Did you forget that these coaches have to teach as well or are part of administration as the athletic coordinator? Not bashing your wife but these coaches do THE EXACT SAME THING your wife does on a daily basis while having practice, game planning, ect. Which for most is an extra 3 hours a day on top of teaching duties (calling parents, grading papers, etc.) and working Saturdays and Sundays. For a small coaching stipend compared to the hours they put in.
Also don’t forget the only reason some students do attend school is to participate in sports, band, etc. If this were not available it’s guaranteed there would be a surprising large percentage of drop outs around El Paso and the country.
If you want to prioritize academics look at some of the schools around El Paso that excel in academics, it’s no suprise most of them excel in athletics and fine arts and it’s not by mistake. I’ve seen it first hand on how achievement in athletics carries over to academic success.
Coaches have more of an influence on a student that goes WAY beyond athletics and way more than most teachers ever have on any student. I’m sure many here can agree. Sports teach life lessons to set up students for future success that is not learned in the classroom. So investing in good coaches is prioritizing our students. Wake up!
PAY THE COACHES THEY DESERVE IT. And thank you for all that you do for the youth of El Paso. That includes city, middle school, and all high school coaches.

In yisd they do not teach!

Trust me, I have worked with many and all they care about is their program. The other programs that they are supposedly the athletic coordinator on campus for they could care less. There are no more than a handful that really care and put the time in.

Don't sugar coat it all. I have seen it with my own eyes over 30 years as a teacher. Sorry!

This is not college!

A waste of money. Not pooping on anyone's dreams. But i do feel sorry for the many kids who get led astray into thinking they have big things waiting after there senior year of football.

cma fan

Trust me, I have worked with many and all they care about is their program. The other programs that they are supposedly the athletic coordinator on campus for they could care less. There are no more than a handful that really care and put the time in.

Don't sugar coat it all. I have seen it with my own eyes over 30 years as a teacher. Sorry!

This is not college!

A waste of money. Not pooping on anyone's dreams. But i do feel sorry for the many kids who get led astray into thinking they have big things waiting after there senior year of football.

Yes there is a handful that really care and put the time in... you get what you pay for is the sad truth. If you pay what east Texas does you will receive a east Texas quality staff. Any less you receive less. If there are changes you need to see at your campus, YOU become an assistant principal and change it. You also failed to acknowledge the impact sports and fine arts have on students. My son attends a yisd school, some of the best teachers there are coaches, including the teacher of the year at the campus....

cma fan

This is not college!

I feel sorry that you feel sorry and I feel sorry for the many kids who never played football just regular students and they get led astray by teachers into thinking the kids have big things waiting for them after they graduate such as high paying jobs, countless opportunities, a great future, wonderful life, etc ---- QUICK REALITY CHECK minimum wage jobs for majority of them after graduation. They go to college and graduate with a degree of their choice-----QUICK REALITY CHECK minimum wage jobs for majority of them as they can't find those opportunities their high school and college teachers told them about. So majority of the kids attend trade schools nursing, mechanic, creating their own opportunities then they are able to find that job which pays just a couple cents or bucks above minimum wage not much but a tad more.

Theres a million people that can teach, maybe not at a good level and maybe not as good as you or your wife but there are many, many people that could do her job. If theres a shortage they can even hire subs with minimal experience and without teaching degrees.

How many people could lead local football team to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs!? Not many boss. If your wife wants to make 80k lets see her beat Midland Lee and Odessa Permian. Simple as that. Or If she wants to make more then maybe she can get a masters and doctarate and become a principal.

Wake up!
cma fan

Did you forget that these coaches have to teach as well or are part of administration as the athletic coordinator? Not bashing your wife but these coaches do THE EXACT SAME THING your wife does on a daily basis while having practice, game planning, ect. Which for most is an extra 3 hours a day on top of teaching duties (calling parents, grading papers, etc.) and working Saturdays and Sundays. For a small coaching stipend compared to the hours they put in.
Also don’t forget the only reason some students do attend school is to participate in sports, band, etc. If this were not available it’s guaranteed there would be a surprising large percentage of drop outs around El Paso and the country.
If you want to prioritize academics look at some of the schools around El Paso that excel in academics, it’s no suprise most of them excel in athletics and fine arts and it’s not by mistake. I’ve seen it first hand on how achievement in athletics carries over to academic success.
Coaches have more of an influence on a student that goes WAY beyond athletics and way more than most teachers ever have on any student. I’m sure many here can agree. Sports teach life lessons to set up students for future success that is not learned in the classroom. So investing in good coaches is prioritizing our students. Wake up!
PAY THE COACHES THEY DESERVE IT. And thank you for all that you do for the youth of El Paso. That includes city, middle school, and all high school coaches.

Nah sorry homeboy, I'm calling BS on that one, most coaches teach a BS class, like health or PE.

My head coach teaches 2 weights and conditioning classes with 10 kids in each class. He has 6 planning periods where he does squat. The rest of us have real jobs with real responsibility, just the facts.

KarlosY
Theres a million people that can teach, maybe not at a good level and maybe not as good as you or your wife but there are many, many people that could do her job. If theres a shortage they can even hire subs with minimal experience and without teaching degrees.

How many people could lead local football team to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs!? Not many boss. If your wife wants to make 80k lets see her beat Midland Lee and Odessa Permian. Simple as that. Or If she wants to make more then maybe she can get a masters and doctarate and become a principal.

I hope for your sake if you have children of plan on having children that they get placed in class with someone that has "minimal experience without a teaching degree". It is your choice to believe in what you thing is more important, your kids education or that all mighty playoff team with a high salaried coach. Your response really blows my mind as to how "important" you believe education to be.

Who needs teachers when at your fingertips one has access to

University of the World Wide Web
Professor Google Search and Teacher's Aide YouTube

Wake up!
cma fan

"Coaches do THE EXACT SAME THING your wife does? Well, like I said, In YISD they do not teach. In SISD, I believe they have one class. I really don't see the comparison at all. Others have already responded as well about not dealing with kids in the classroom all day. I would invite your or any head coach to come on in and "DO THE SAME THING". Furthermore, get up and speak in front of a teachers association and make that comment. I would love to see you try to get out of the room! You would even have coaches themselves laugh at this one. I just shared this with two of my coaching buddies right now and they said "hell no"!

"FOR A SMALL COACHING STIPEND" Once again, check the facts. I am in my 29th yr. and my teaching salary is $59,000. Most coaches on this list of head coaches are probably around 55,000 on the teaching salary scale. Obviously Coach Lopez has the smallest salary due to not having been in the teaching field so long. SO, most EP coaches are raking in an avg. of $84,000. That means that the "SMALL" stipends you are talking about add up to about $30,000!!!! WOW. But that is a "small' stipend.

I never said coaches did not have an influence on kids. I coached 13 yrs. from middle school to varsity. I cared about every single kid. As a player myself in high school, My head BB coach was my mentor, as I had no father. But you know what. It had nothing to do with the fact that he made a coaching salary of $35,000 or $150,000. The argument is about the amount of pay these guys make!

Yes I agree we need sports, fine arts, teachers, clubs, organizations for kids. It does keep a lot of kids involved and in school. But to say that it is just because of a coach (according to you it is a coach who makes a lot of money) is ludicrous. You also have kids highly influenced by teachers, band directors, coaches of other sports, club sponsors, etc. It has nothing to do with "a high salaried fb coach being the only people that have this influence.

Yes they are athletic coordinators as this was a great title to give them with another stipend to go along with their coaching stipend and the added stipend to work extra days in the summer. This is done so it does not look like they are getting a $35,000 coaching salary stipend by itself.

But not much is added to there plate as an AC. Sure they oversee the other programs, but many do not put much effort into it. Most make sure that there program (FB) is well taken care, especially money wise. There are a couple that I know of that do there best to include all sports with not only appropriate budget balances but with dealing with the boosters as well.

The one program in this city that has a coach who goes above and makes sure the entire feeder pattern is involved is Perales. The OFOD is an awesome concept. He spends time with middle school. He spends time at elementary school. He tweets about not only fb, but all sports, teachers and organizations from other schools etc...... He acknowledges teachers form other campuses and all sorts of things. That is a coordinator and an ambassador of the school.

But don't tell me they deserve $90,000 plus.

WiseOne
Who needs teachers when at your fingertips one has access to

University of the World Wide Web
Professor Google Search and Teacher's Aide YouTube

I've been using the internet since way back in 1995 when it was dial up. Where should I go pick up my Doctorate or does ICANN mail it to me?

cma fan
Wake up!
cma fan

"Coaches do THE EXACT SAME THING your wife does? Well, like I said, In YISD they do not teach. In SISD, I believe they have one class. I really don't see the comparison at all. Others have already responded as well about not dealing with kids in the classroom all day. I would invite your or any head coach to come on in and "DO THE SAME THING". Furthermore, get up and speak in front of a teachers association and make that comment. I would love to see you try to get out of the room! You would even have coaches themselves laugh at this one. I just shared this with two of my coaching buddies right now and they said "hell no"!

"FOR A SMALL COACHING STIPEND" Once again, check the facts. I am in my 29th yr. and my teaching salary is $59,000. Most coaches on this list of head coaches are probably around 55,000 on the teaching salary scale. Obviously Coach Lopez has the smallest salary due to not having been in the teaching field so long. SO, most EP coaches are raking in an avg. of $84,000. That means that the "SMALL" stipends you are talking about add up to about $30,000!!!! WOW. But that is a "small' stipend.

I never said coaches did not have an influence on kids. I coached 13 yrs. from middle school to varsity. I cared about every single kid. As a player myself in high school, My head BB coach was my mentor, as I had no father. But you know what. It had nothing to do with the fact that he made a coaching salary of $35,000 or $150,000. The argument is about the amount of pay these guys make!

Yes I agree we need sports, fine arts, teachers, clubs, organizations for kids. It does keep a lot of kids involved and in school. But to say that it is just because of a coach (according to you it is a coach who makes a lot of money) is ludicrous. You also have kids highly influenced by teachers, band directors, coaches of other sports, club sponsors, etc. It has nothing to do with "a high salaried fb coach being the only people that have this influence.

Yes they are athletic coordinators as this was a great title to give them with another stipend to go along with their coaching stipend and the added stipend to work extra days in the summer. This is done so it does not look like they are getting a $35,000 coaching salary stipend by itself.

But not much is added to there plate as an AC. Sure they oversee the other programs, but many do not put much effort into it. Most make sure that there program (FB) is well taken care, especially money wise. There are a couple that I know of that do there best to include all sports with not only appropriate budget balances but with dealing with the boosters as well.

The one program in this city that has a coach who goes above and makes sure the entire feeder pattern is involved is Perales. The OFOD is an awesome concept. He spends time with middle school. He spends time at elementary school. He tweets about not only fb, but all sports, teachers and organizations from other schools etc...... He acknowledges teachers form other campuses and all sorts of things. That is a coordinator and an ambassador of the school.

You make good points, but I'm sure that at one time in their young career's they decided they wanted to coach. Maybe you and your wife should've thought about that too in your early years. Plus the reason the football program garner's the bulk of the athletic department is because that's what brings in the $$$. Just look at the attendance in last weeks Montwood vs. Pebble Hills game, over 12,000. C'mon now!

cma fan
Wake up!
cma fan

Its irrelevant bringing up salaries. There are 499 High School Coaches in Texas compared to ~320,000 teachers.

Hypothetically, lets say Texas wants to give HS FB coaches an $1000 increase in salary, then it would cost Texas $499,000/yr. Now say they want to give teachers $1000 increase then it would cost the state 320,000,000/yr.

Now, how do you justify a 20,000-30,000 stipend for the coaches. Simple, look at the attention and revenue they bring to their schools. They bring sponsors, boosters, ticket sales, news broadcasting, opportunities and many more other things. These all probably factor into the final stipend these coaches get.

Im not discrediting what teachers do for their community but teaching does not generate the same amount of revenue year in and out like coaches do. This is why the highest paid professors make ~200,000 a year compared to the highest college coach making ~11,000,000 a year.

Look at the attention and revenue coaches bring to their schools?

This I do not agree with at all. El Paso Times, Krod600am, borderland blitz, nc9overtime, cbs4 footballfever and even this website EP Gridiron are the ones that help bring the attention and help bring in the revenue to the schools.

Just think what would happen if El Paso Times, Krod600am, borderland blitz, nc9overtime, cbs4 footballfever and EP Gridiron were to all stop doing varsity football for 1 season as an experiment to see what kind of revenue the districts would bring in that season.

You best check yourself before you wreck yourself.

There are some bad teachers just like there are some bad coaches & AD's. The vast majority of coaches are not AD's and have to teach, and do not get paid what HC's are getting. Sure, there are alot of FB assistants but that is because there are more kids playing the sport (some programs have 150-200 players). The HC's have had to work their way up through that system to get where they are and there is more competition since there are exponentially more teaching positions available than FB HC positions. Coaches spend incredible amounts of time beyond the regular teaching hrs in the fall. They are also involved in the team's offseason program.

If you want to talk about difficult, work on a construction site doing 12-hr days 7 days a week. Hard to feel bad for teachers when there are those situations in the world. Not saying teachers don't work hard, but alot of them like to make it sound like they're Mother Teresa.

UpperValley
Look at the attention and revenue coaches bring to their schools?

This I do not agree with at all. El Paso Times, Krod600am, borderland blitz, nc9overtime, cbs4 footballfever and even this website EP Gridiron are the ones that help bring the attention and help bring in the revenue to the schools.

Just think what would happen if El Paso Times, Krod600am, borderland blitz, nc9overtime, cbs4 footballfever and EP Gridiron were to all stop doing varsity football for 1 season as an experiment to see what kind of revenue the districts would bring in that season.

You best check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Don't forget the JV, Freshmen, Middle school, youth football coaches, moms, dads and don't forget the TAX PAYERS especially the TAX PAYERS!!! For any HS Varsity coach, Admin or Athletic dept. to take credit for the revenue and attention would be absolutely absurd.

Spot on and with so many schools the talent is diluted...lessen the schools and you have teams with great depth.

Each role has its place and both have value and both are strong influences on kids, anyone who thinks otherwise has no clue. But realistically coaches and sports in high school don't exist if the school does not exist. The school's main priority is to produce students that are college ready and/or work force ready, not to produce D1 athletes. Unfortunately, this is confused sometimes. I know I am a teacher first, it pays me the larger portion of my salary. I have to care for my students just as I care for my athletes. I can't be a hypocrite.

No one will be a paid athlete for the rest of their life. Education cannot be Plan B.

Teacher/Coach
Each role has its place and both have value and both are strong influences on kids, anyone who thinks otherwise has no clue. But realistically coaches and sports in high school don't exist if the school does not exist. The school's main priority is to produce students that are college ready and/or work force ready, not to produce D1 athletes. Unfortunately, this is confused sometimes. I know I am a teacher first, it pays me the larger portion of my salary. I have to care for my students just as I care for my athletes. I can't be a hypocrite.

No one will be a paid athlete for the rest of their life. Education cannot be Plan B.

No one will be a paid athlete for the rest of their life but also jobs and careers these days are neither secured. Students coming out of high school or college are not guaranteed a job or career awaiting them or one that is long term with benefits.

KarlosY

First off, I'm not your "boss".
Second, reread what I wrote and nowhere did I mention about my wife wanting to make more money.
Third, "a million people can teach" is crap.
Fourth, Let's equate your football analogy to beating Midland Lee in football and having a high salary as a coach to do it as opposed to teaching.

She became recognized as one of the top teachers in her district and has some of the highest scores on state assessments. She does not need $80,000 for her students to rank above those in Midland. They achieve this because of passion for the job and having to be held accountable. So as far as her kids and their test scores compared to the rest of Texas, she is way past the 2nd or third round, BOSS!

The whole point of this reply was that I do not believe a HEAD coach in FOOTBALL deserves $90,000 plus in public schools.

Between this cma teacher who apparently was smart enough to finish college but not enough to realize teachers make $h*t, to Rico who is mad at the world (and El Paso) cuz he's still making minimum wage, how did we end up so far off topic?

I'm just glad it's going to take a hell of an offer to pry Brooks away from Canutillo.

Mentally strong in EP
Between this cma teacher who apparently was smart enough to finish college but not enough to realize teachers make $h*t, to Rico who is mad at the world (and El Paso) cuz he's still making minimum wage, how did we end up so far off topic?

I'm just glad it's going to take a hell of an offer to pry Brooks away from Canutillo.

Brooks can stay at Canutillo I don't think anyone want him well maybe Franklin.

If brooks had talent he would win state

No teaching

I say.. just let head coaches coach for a teacher salary no bs teaching classes, or bs athletic coordinator roles. We can have a coach 100% dedicated to football and districts save money. Only those coaches who love football and have passion would take the job. Offer bonuses only if they reach playoffs $500, district champs outright $1000 ($500 shared), bi-district champs $500, area champs $5,000, regional $10,000, quarterfinal champs $15,000, semifinal $20,000, State Champions $25,000 bonus

If a coach goes all the way through, he/she is at $132,000 which is a great salary and El Paso is competitive with the state in coaching salaries.

Spitfire
Mentally strong in EP

Brooks can stay at Canutillo I don't think anyone want him well maybe Franklin.

Hahaha!! Franklin who???.. Lol You all can keep Walker with twice the enrollment and still keeping Canutillo relative. Seriously, can't keep a straight face I'm laughing so hard. LMAO till next season...

Some people here complains how teachers deserve to make more money. I hate that argument. There are millions of teachers across the country, the government simply can not afford to pay them that much more.
And 99% of coaches are teachers too and work longer hours than most teachers. Coaches also don’t get 12 weeks off over the summer.

All you people complaining. I have one thing to say to you. You chose the profession.

The Coach
All you people complaining. I have one thing to say to you. You chose the profession.

Thank you!

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m