EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
midland vs. montwood (Thursday, 6:30 @ SAC)

Will the RAMS get back on track after their fist loss?

Re: midland vs. montwood (Thursday, 6:30 @ SAC)

meangreen
Yes , If coaches abolish the 3-3 Stack Defense. Prime example of how it does not work against a Run Offense.

I believe that this loss will do them good and it sure gave them a slice of humble pie. This will allow them to not take any team lightly regardless of their wins/losses. Good luck to ALL EP 6A teams!

Why on Thursday?

mike03car
Why on Thursday?
I know man. When I saw this I was like what the hell!!! Why??? I know El Dorado hosts Midland Lee on Friday, but maybe a double header would’ve been better.

How bout balancing out the offensive attack? Andrew is a heck of an athlete but why not take some pressure of the kid. Hence all the holding calls and int's.. Any defense can be successful against montwood predictable offense..all you gotta do is rush 5 and double Ty and it's a wrap as we saw last night

Hey Mike,
What can we expect to see from midland on Thursday?

Cats32
mike03car
Why on Thursday?
I know man. When I saw this I was like what the hell!!! Why??? I know El Dorado hosts Midland Lee on Friday, but maybe a double header would’ve been better.

Since Montwood played Thursday they probably pushed for the Thursday game and 1 more day of rest. There might be a doubleheader on Thursday w/Eastlake playing too.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought Montwood had played Thursday but they played the early game yesterday.

Wow..and you all know football? Isn't it obvious Montwood wants an advantage, play on a short week to give Midland the disadvantage. They have to travel ! to far west texas...wow...no wonder El Paso never advances. Knowledge is leverage on any field. Good luck. Go Eagles! Allen all the way! PS..one advice. El Paso needs a human performance academy for all its schools...Nutrition is what El Paso lacks.

East Texas
Wow..and you all know football? Isn't it obvious Montwood wants an advantage, play on a short week to give Midland the disadvantage. They have to travel ! to far west texas...wow...no wonder El Paso never advances. Knowledge is leverage on any field. Good luck. Go Eagles! Allen all the way! PS..one advice. El Paso needs a human performance academy for all its schools...Nutrition is what El Paso lacks.

Also the winning team can go and scout on Friday!

meangreen
Hey Mike,
What can we expect to see from midland on Thursday?

TBH, I don't know what they've turned around from the early part of the season to become a pretty good team in District play. I remember they got off to a slow start and wrote them off. I thought Tascosa and perhaps Odessa were going to battle Lee for 3rd and 4th in 2-6A. That said, Midland's doing something right and chances are they are PROBABLY (only guessing) better with rushing offense and defense than passing. I'll have to see what the guys in the 2-6A thread on the other forum are saying.

I still expect Montwood to be stinging from last week and unhappy campers about not finishing 10-0 for the regular season. I fully anticipate it as a wake-up call for the Rams entire coaching staff and player roster which will propel them to their best week of practice and preparation for a game than anytime this season.

Our game was on Thursday in Midland didn't hear you complain then. And the schools do not schedule playoff games.

Rams 56,
Just wondering who does schedule the date for the games?

RAM56
Our game was on Thursday in Midland didn't hear you complain then. And the schools do not schedule playoff games.

You think I complained? That's odd. BTW, who schedules your games?

Oh, my school (Abilene) played two Thursday games this year, and I went to both.

One at home during pre-district against Odessa, and one on the road against Keller in district play.

Schools do schedule games. Coaches and AD's are involved.

East Texas
It looks like there's another game or two at the same stadium on Friday,
therefore someone has to play on either Thursday or Saturday.

FalconFeather
Schools do schedule games. Coaches and AD's are involved.
I know ours do.

maybe the coaches want an extra day to scout their next opponent

Boaz is back...

FYI...Montwood did use a balanced attack on offense against Eastwood it just didn't work. For example, they used several backs and WRs in the rotation. However Eastwood is a much better team then their record shows. And they proved it against Montwood Friday night. The credit goes to Eastwood's defense.

The Troopers had a game plan that they executed very well. First, they took away MWs deep passing threat by doubling and sometimes triple teaming #4. Second, the defense put allot of pressure on MWs QB resulting in sacks and interceptions. Third, the Troopers controlled the clock with their running game and 4th down conversions. Lastly, The Troopers coaches simply out-coached MWs coaches.

So what happened to Montwood? Did they take this game too lightly? Who knows? But here is what I think happened:

Offense:

O-Line: in all fairness, most would say that MWs O-Line has done a pretty decent job of protecting their QB all season and simply had a bad night against Eastwood.

QB: #1 Fernandez was pressured by the Troopers defense non-stop, resulting in sacks, hurries, and interceptions.

RBs: MW was never really able to establish their running game.

WRs: out of MWs trio of playmaking WRs, #5 Garibay suffered a season ending injury last week against PHs and did not play against Eastwood. Their best WR #4 Andrus was playing both ways hurt the entire game and was primarily used as a decoy on offense, this made #3 Cepeda, MWs number one target during the game. Furthermore, this game was a great opportunity for other WRs to step up such as #8 Aguilar who had 2 receptions for 87 yards and a TD against Eastwood.

Defense

D-Line: although the D-Line made some good stops they wasn't consistent enough and failed to make stops when they needed it the most on 4th downs.

LBs: I think everyone knows by now that MWs weakest link on defense is the LB corps. Once again they LBs played terribly, not only did they fail to make stops but looked lost and confused. While Eastwoods RBs were averaging 5+ yards a carry.

Secondary: The Troopers not only had success running the football but they had an equal amount of success passing the ball as well. MWs list 6.0' #3 WR Cepeda as a WR/CB on their team roster. But I have yet to see him play CB. He would have matched up well against #80 6.3' WR Pete Cadena, leaving only #12 Minjariz for them to worry about.

Going forward congratulations to the Troopers for playing an overall great game to close out their season.

And hopefully Montwood will make the necessary adjustment before they take on the Midland Builldogs for the second time this season in a Thursday night game. Moreover, despite MW beating Midland in a shootout early in the season and their 3-7 record, MW needs to take this game seriously and make whatever adjustments that they need to make, especially on defense if they want to win this game.

My pick: Montwood in another high scoring game.

Boaz
Boaz is back...

FYI...Montwood did use a balanced attack on offense against Eastwood it just didn't work. For example, they used several backs and WRs in the rotation. However Eastwood is a much better team then their record shows. And they proved it against Montwood Friday night. The credit goes to Eastwood's defense.

The Troopers had a game plan that they executed very well. First, they took away MWs deep passing threat by doubling and sometimes triple teaming #4. Second, the defense put allot of pressure on MWs QB resulting in sacks and interceptions. Third, the Troopers controlled the clock with their running game and 4th down conversions. Lastly, The Troopers coaches simply out-coached MWs coaches.

So what happened to Montwood? Did they take this game too lightly? Who knows? But here is what I think happened:

Offense:

O-Line: in all fairness, most would say that MWs O-Line has done a pretty decent job of protecting their QB all season and simply had a bad night against Eastwood.

QB: #1 Fernandez was pressured by the Troopers defense non-stop, resulting in sacks, hurries, and interceptions.

RBs: MW was never really able to establish their running game.

WRs: out of MWs trio of playmaking WRs, #5 Garibay suffered a season ending injury last week against PHs and did not play against Eastwood. Their best WR #4 Andrus was playing both ways hurt the entire game and was primarily used as a decoy on offense, this made #3 Cepeda, MWs number one target during the game. Furthermore, this game was a great opportunity for other WRs to step up such as #8 Aguilar who had 2 receptions for 87 yards and a TD against Eastwood.

Defense

D-Line: although the D-Line made some good stops they wasn't consistent enough and failed to make stops when they needed it the most on 4th downs.

LBs: I think everyone knows by now that MWs weakest link on defense is the LB corps. Once again they LBs played terribly, not only did they fail to make stops but looked lost and confused. While Eastwoods RBs were averaging 5+ yards a carry.

Secondary: The Troopers not only had success running the football but they had an equal amount of success passing the ball as well. MWs list 6.0' #3 WR Cepeda as a WR/CB on their team roster. But I have yet to see him play CB. He would have matched up well against #80 6.3' WR Pete Cadena, leaving only #12 Minjariz for them to worry about.

Going forward congratulations to the Troopers for playing an overall great game to close out their season.

And hopefully Montwood will make the necessary adjustment before they take on the Midland Builldogs for the second time this season in a Thursday night game. Moreover, despite MW beating Midland in a shootout early in the season and their 3-7 record, MW needs to take this game seriously and make whatever adjustments that they need to make, especially on defense if they want to win this game.

My pick: Montwood in another high scoring game.

Montwood doesn't have Running Backs. Andrew is their Running Back. You think I'm full of it??? When this season has Montwood had a running back rush for over 100 yards??? And how many times did he do it.

That's Montwood's offensive problem they have no beast in the backfield. No need to mention Montwood's swiss cheese defense.

mikeo3car wasn't replaying to you, I was replaying to easttexas about Thursdays game.

LOL...they actually have several: Ramos, Revilla, Young and Rodriguez to name a few. All of them get playing time. Their not big backs but they have decent speed in the open field, especially Ramos and Rodriguez.

QB Fernandez who has 801 yards rushing is a dual threat QB and sometimes has to run to avoid getting tackled. But compared to ELD QB Barfield's, another dual threat QB who has 1,668 yards rushing, there is no comparison. QB A.J Briggs from Parkland also has over 275 yards rushing this season.

I prefer to have a QB that can run as well as pass, in-lieu of one that stands in the pocket to get tackled.

FYI montwood hasn't established a running game cause coaching doesn't know how or refuse to utilize it's backfield.. #23 is only a sophomore averaging more then 10 yards a carry but yet only gets handful of the carries. Second their rotation sucks as these kids are sitting out for a 20 30 minutes at a time.. like I said as long as qb is dropping back 95% of the time montwood will not have much success against a good or even descent defence.. hence the reason why they barely made it out of the eldo,pebbles game and got smashed by the troopers.. i dont think these coaches know the importance of time of possession..

Green machine
FYI montwood hasn't established a running game cause coaching doesn't know how or refuse to utilize it's backfield.. #23 is only a sophomore averaging more then 10 yards a carry but yet only gets handful of the carries. Second their rotation sucks as these kids are sitting out for a 20 30 minutes at a time.. like I said as long as qb is dropping back 95% of the time montwood will not have much success against a good or even descent defence.. hence the reason why they barely made it out of the eldo,pebbles game and got smashed by the troopers.. i dont think these coaches know the importance of time of possession..
First of all its great to have a great QB and receiving core, but I agree 100% that we need the running game established. Talking from experience the OC is a pass first run last type of coach. Ramos is probably their best back they have, but for the life of me I have no idea why he doesn’t get more reps. Although he has to learn to pass block better, he has a lot of potential on the field. This problem has been going on since last year and I wish the coaches would wake up and learn to balance the run and pass evenly, what a three headed dragon (Ram) that would be!!! Anyways I got Montwood by 14 come Thursday night!!! Go Rams

RAM56
mikeo3car wasn't replaying to you, I was replaying to easttexas about Thursdays game.
Gotcha

Cats32
Green machine
First of all its great to have a great QB and receiving core, but I agree 100% that we need the running game established. Talking from experience the OC is a pass first run last type of coach. Ramos is probably their best back they have, but for the life of me I have no idea why he doesn’t get more reps. Although he has to learn to pass block better, he has a lot of potential on the field. This problem has been going on since last year and I wish the coaches would wake up and learn to balance the run and pass evenly, what a three headed dragon (Ram) that would be!!! Anyways I got Montwood by 14 come Thursday night!!! Go Rams

What others have said that have watched Midland play this year during the district season: running against them will be quite difficult between the tackles. Their Defensive Line is big and if you're not bigger, you're going to have to use quick hitting plays to the outside. In addition to a quick pitch to the RB, perhaps some wide receiver sweeps and quick outlet passes. Get those big guys tired and wear them down.

Their offense is a smash-mouth style also with a lot of beef on the offensive line. They like to generally pound the rock and then try to catch you with a 20+ yard pass as the safeties have cheated up too far and the linebackers have to respect the run. This is pretty much how they tried to do things at the start of the year and when they played Montwood in pre-district. They've just gotten better at it over the last several weeks as I trust the Rams have also gradually improved (sans last week's upset).

My calls
Montwood 46- Midland 40
Permian 56 - Coronado 3

mike03car
Why on Thursday?

A couple of guesses:

Short week for Midland to practice before making the long drive to el paso.

Second guess is payback. Our regular season game was originally scheduled on a friday. However, midland forced a change to Thursday because of schedule conflicts. This sucked for our kids because they had to bus up there early Thursday morning, play Thursday night and bus back because they had to attend school Friday and had 6 weeks testing. I believe they got home around 3 or 4am and had to go to class and test at 830am.

These are just my guesses. I don't know for sure.

A
meangreen
Yes , If coaches abolish the 3-3 Stack Defense. Prime example of how it does not work against a Run Offense.

EXACTLY!!! And they have to make adjustments on defense DURING the game. Seems like its the same scheme, no matter if they are running on us every play.

Montwood has been the talk of EP this season as one of the best teams in the city. Many posters have talked about play-off runs, successes, and improvements of EP football throughout the board all year. Yet, I find it very interesting that there is not overwhelming support for a MW win against a 3-7 team? Losing this game will not help EP's cause that we are gaining ground on the rest of the state.

On FOX Southwest Friday night the announcers gave EP a plug saying we could advance past the Permian Basin with the likes of Montwood and El Dorado.

Let's do this guys!

FalconFeather
Montwood has been the talk of EP this season as one of the best teams in the city. Many posters have talked about play-off runs, successes, and improvements of EP football throughout the board all year. Yet, I find it very interesting that there is not overwhelming support for a MW win against a 3-7 team? Losing this game will not help EP's cause that we are gaining ground on the rest of the state.

On FOX Southwest Friday night the announcers gave EP a plug saying we could advance past the Permian Basin with the likes of Montwood and El Dorado.

Let's do this guys!

So what??? If FOX SW announcers say it then it must make it so? Coaches and players still have to put in the work does not matter what Fox SW or any announcers or anybody for that matter have to say. Work work work and make it happen.

I think (montwood)they can advance but the DC has to go he makes no adjustments and that bend but don’t break Phil that takes so much time and keeps the Montwood offense grounded , cold and off the field , if that changes the sky is the limit. Fire the Dc

Cats32
Green machine

I know for a fact that #23 was taught how to pass block. LOL

HOUNDS 93
Cats32
Green machine

I know for a fact that #23 was taught how to pass block. LOL
Yes I know he was taught, but he needs to execute now and help protect his QB. He’ll get it down and be the total package by next season (run, catch and block).

Ramos is only a sophomore and the fastest RB in the Rams backfield.

Boaz, great write up and right on the money! I wish I could advice the D coach in placing his players in positions that best fit their skill set. For example, #11 should be better placed as a corner instead of a safety. He's a good tackler, has enough speed to cover a fast receiver, and very aggressive. Has a tendency to jump too soon at a play action and gets burned deep, hence the corner position would better suit him. I've also seen other very good players standing on the sideline most of the time. Players who play better than the starters, believe it or not! Don't know how he chooses who plays.

In all honestly I have montwood winning this game but in a nail biter!! 38-35 montwood

Rams2018
mike03car
Why on Thursday?

A couple of guesses:

Short week for Midland to practice before making the long drive to el paso.

Second guess is payback. Our regular season game was originally scheduled on a friday. However, midland forced a change to Thursday because of schedule conflicts. This sucked for our kids because they had to bus up there early Thursday morning, play Thursday night and bus back because they had to attend school Friday and had 6 weeks testing. I believe they got home around 3 or 4am and had to go to class and test at 830am.

These are just my guesses. I don't know for sure.

There are also two games at Socorro ISD Stadium on Friday (6A D1 and 5A D2). Thus, if going to use that stadium for a third game, it needs to be on Thursday or Saturday.

Edgar
FalconFeather

Let's do this guys!

So what??? If FOX SW announcers say it then it must make it so? Coaches and players still have to put in the work does not matter what Fox SW or any announcers or anybody for that matter have to say. Work work work and make it happen.

Looks to me FalconFeather is simply trying to rally the fan support.

This is not the game for the Rams to experiment with players that haven't done much all season or plays that haven't worked for them. It's time to put it all on the table and be prepared for anything. The offense will need to have a big game unlike the game they had against Eastwood. And the defense will need to do the same. That said, I don't see Midland letting us run the score up against them like we did the first time we met. I expect to see a different game by both teams. But it will come down to who wants it the most.

How many fans can be expected at the stadium tonight?

mike03car
How many fans can be expected at the stadium tonight?

I don't think it will reach the 12,000 + when Montwood and El Dorado tangled just 2 to 3 weeks ago. I say this Montwood and Midland dance will no way attract close to 12,000 more like 6,500 since Midland supporters all won't be making the drive to El Paso. But who knows it being a Thursday game and all it may reach 9,000.

Anyways to watch this game tonight online?

NEBattle
Anyways to watch this game tonight online?
nfhsnetwork you'll have to pay 9 bucks if I recall

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/montwood-high-school-spring-tx/22688cf9e8

Montwood up 14-0 at the end of 1Q

Can follow @FelixChavez on twitter for updates.

NEBattle
Montwood up 14-0 at the end of 1Q

Can follow @FelixChavez on twitter for updates.
@fchavezeptimes

Let's go Montwood! T-birds are rooting for you!

Montwood up 21-7 in 2Q

21-7 halftime. Montwood receives 2nd half. We had a pretty good turnout tonight

Just about stick the fork in this one. Monty up big, late in 4th. They play winner of Fossil Ridge & Arlington. I think the Arlington Colts are the better of those two, but not by much, so the Rams could face any of them. Would probably be wise to try to play the game in Ratliffe or Grande: make the DFW team travel somewhat as much as the EP team will have to travel.

42-35 final montwood won. Had them 42-14 with 5 min to go and coach put all 2nds in and midland scored 3 tds.... defense ran 3-4 with 2nd string in and they got tons of yards.

On to the next round. Hope DC gets his crap together

This game should not have even been close.

You said it yourself it should not have been close the only reason that was, was because the head coach took out most of his starters to get his 2nd string in. And that’s what allowed midland to score. Otherwise montwood would of kept dominating them. Only negative I have is about the crowd, not the size but the noise level. How can it be home field advantage is the crowd was never loud? If you’re gonna show up make some noise support them don’t just be there filling up a seat. Other than that a great win for the Rams!

How about a congrats on the win. Why do you jab to throw in the it shouldn't have been close.

Exactly! Congratulations Rams. Time to focus on the next game.

How many would one guestimate was the attendance?
Likely a bunch left midway through the 4th or earlier at the 42-14 margin.

RAMZ
42-35 final montwood won. Had them 42-14 with 5 min to go and coach put all 2nds in and midland scored 3 tds.... defense ran 3-4 with 2nd string in and they got tons of yards.

On to the next round. Hope DC gets his crap together
Coach, its the playoffs not pre season, 1st string and full steam ahead.

The game was in the bag. Good job resting your starters for the next game. Smart coaching. Some people don’t know anything about this game. Keep it up and good luck from the cougars

Cougarman
The game was in the bag. Good job resting your starters for the next game. Smart coaching. Some people don’t know anything about this game. Keep it up and good luck from the cougars
That's why you don't win at Cougarland. Its the playoffs. Run down the clock with your starters by converting first downs with the run. Don't give the other team a chance to come back. Resting the starters, com-on man. If they got tired against Midland, oh no stay home for next week.

100% agree.

Lol. That’s why you guys are on here posting and not on the sideline. Great job coaches. Now you are healthy as can be and ready to give full effort.

I have to agree with Cougerman. If the coach would have left the starters in and something happened to Andrew or Th, y'all would be calling for his job. A win is a win so I agree with pulling the starters out when the game was under control. Let the coach do his job. He's gotten this far.

Curious
I have to agree with Cougerman. If the coach would have left the starters in and something happened to Andrew or Th, y'all would be calling for his job. A win is a win so I agree with pulling the starters out when the game was under control. Let the coach do his job. He's gotten this far.
You don’t understand, the entire offense and defense. They almost tied the game when the recovered the onside in under a minute. Now is not the time to let off the pedal. Substitute them in that’s fine, but do a couple at a time that way they can get experience from the starters and actually learn from them. I don’t agree with this method at all. What if we would’ve lost because of this??? Everyone would be on here saying what we fee are saying, that that was a bone head call!! On the round 2 though!!! Go Rams!!

Wrong answer! Pulling the starters was a dumb move by the Coach. And had Midland tied or won the game we would be calling for Famaligi to be fired. This is the playoffs...which means you win or go home, there is no live to fight another day. If the tables were turned Midland would have blew Montwood out and bragged about the next day. Much like Midland Lee did after their win over ELD. So I hope the HC learned a lesson because the Arlington Colts is a much better football team.

Arlington Colts uni's are colored like Montwood's green and white.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m