EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
midland vs. montwood (Thursday, 6:30 @ SAC)

Will the RAMS get back on track after their fist loss?

Re: midland vs. montwood (Thursday, 6:30 @ SAC)

meangreen
Will the RAMS get back on track after their fist loss?
Yes , If coaches abolish the 3-3 Stack Defense. Prime example of how it does not work against a Run Offense.

I believe that this loss will do them good and it sure gave them a slice of humble pie. This will allow them to not take any team lightly regardless of their wins/losses. Good luck to ALL EP 6A teams!

Why on Thursday?

mike03car
Why on Thursday?
I know man. When I saw this I was like what the hell!!! Why??? I know El Dorado hosts Midland Lee on Friday, but maybe a double header would’ve been better.

How bout balancing out the offensive attack? Andrew is a heck of an athlete but why not take some pressure of the kid. Hence all the holding calls and int's.. Any defense can be successful against montwood predictable offense..all you gotta do is rush 5 and double Ty and it's a wrap as we saw last night

Hey Mike,
What can we expect to see from midland on Thursday?

Cats32
mike03car
Why on Thursday?
I know man. When I saw this I was like what the hell!!! Why??? I know El Dorado hosts Midland Lee on Friday, but maybe a double header would’ve been better.

Since Montwood played Thursday they probably pushed for the Thursday game and 1 more day of rest. There might be a doubleheader on Thursday w/Eastlake playing too.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought Montwood had played Thursday but they played the early game yesterday.

Wow..and you all know football? Isn't it obvious Montwood wants an advantage, play on a short week to give Midland the disadvantage. They have to travel ! to far west texas...wow...no wonder El Paso never advances. Knowledge is leverage on any field. Good luck. Go Eagles! Allen all the way! PS..one advice. El Paso needs a human performance academy for all its schools...Nutrition is what El Paso lacks.

East Texas
Wow..and you all know football? Isn't it obvious Montwood wants an advantage, play on a short week to give Midland the disadvantage. They have to travel ! to far west texas...wow...no wonder El Paso never advances. Knowledge is leverage on any field. Good luck. Go Eagles! Allen all the way! PS..one advice. El Paso needs a human performance academy for all its schools...Nutrition is what El Paso lacks.

Also the winning team can go and scout on Friday!

meangreen
Hey Mike,
What can we expect to see from midland on Thursday?

TBH, I don't know what they've turned around from the early part of the season to become a pretty good team in District play. I remember they got off to a slow start and wrote them off. I thought Tascosa and perhaps Odessa were going to battle Lee for 3rd and 4th in 2-6A. That said, Midland's doing something right and chances are they are PROBABLY (only guessing) better with rushing offense and defense than passing. I'll have to see what the guys in the 2-6A thread on the other forum are saying.

I still expect Montwood to be stinging from last week and unhappy campers about not finishing 10-0 for the regular season. I fully anticipate it as a wake-up call for the Rams entire coaching staff and player roster which will propel them to their best week of practice and preparation for a game than anytime this season.

Our game was on Thursday in Midland didn't hear you complain then. And the schools do not schedule playoff games.

Rams 56,
Just wondering who does schedule the date for the games?

RAM56
Our game was on Thursday in Midland didn't hear you complain then. And the schools do not schedule playoff games.

You think I complained? That's odd. BTW, who schedules your games?

Oh, my school (Abilene) played two Thursday games this year, and I went to both.

One at home during pre-district against Odessa, and one on the road against Keller in district play.

Schools do schedule games. Coaches and AD's are involved.

East Texas
It looks like there's another game or two at the same stadium on Friday,
therefore someone has to play on either Thursday or Saturday.

FalconFeather
Schools do schedule games. Coaches and AD's are involved.
I know ours do.

maybe the coaches want an extra day to scout their next opponent

Boaz is back...

FYI...Montwood did use a balanced attack on offense against Eastwood it just didn't work. For example, they used several backs and WRs in the rotation. However Eastwood is a much better team then their record shows. And they proved it against Montwood Friday night. The credit goes to Eastwood's defense.

The Troopers had a game plan that they executed very well. First, they took away MWs deep passing threat by doubling and sometimes triple teaming #4. Second, the defense put allot of pressure on MWs QB resulting in sacks and interceptions. Third, the Troopers controlled the clock with their running game and 4th down conversions. Lastly, The Troopers coaches simply out-coached MWs coaches.

So what happened to Montwood? Did they take this game too lightly? Who knows? But here is what I think happened:

Offense:

O-Line: in all fairness, most would say that MWs O-Line has done a pretty decent job of protecting their QB all season and simply had a bad night against Eastwood.

QB: #1 Fernandez was pressured by the Troopers defense non-stop, resulting in sacks, hurries, and interceptions.

RBs: MW was never really able to establish their running game.

WRs: out of MWs trio of playmaking WRs, #5 Garibay suffered a season ending injury last week against PHs and did not play against Eastwood. Their best WR #4 Andrus was playing both ways hurt the entire game and was primarily used as a decoy on offense, this made #3 Cepeda, MWs number one target during the game. Furthermore, this game was a great opportunity for other WRs to step up such as #8 Aguilar who had 2 receptions for 87 yards and a TD against Eastwood.

Defense

D-Line: although the D-Line made some good stops they wasn't consistent enough and failed to make stops when they needed it the most on 4th downs.

LBs: I think everyone knows by now that MWs weakest link on defense is the LB corps. Once again they LBs played terribly, not only did they fail to make stops but looked lost and confused. While Eastwoods RBs were averaging 5+ yards a carry.

Secondary: The Troopers not only had success running the football but they had an equal amount of success passing the ball as well. MWs list 6.0' #3 WR Cepeda as a WR/CB on their team roster. But I have yet to see him play CB. He would have matched up well against #80 6.3' WR Pete Cadena, leaving only #12 Minjariz for them to worry about.

Going forward congratulations to the Troopers for playing an overall great game to close out their season.

And hopefully Montwood will make the necessary adjustment before they take on the Midland Builldogs for the second time this season in a Thursday night game. Moreover, despite MW beating Midland in a shootout early in the season and their 3-7 record, MW needs to take this game seriously and make whatever adjustments that they need to make, especially on defense if they want to win this game.

My pick: Montwood in another high scoring game.

Boaz
Boaz is back...

FYI...Montwood did use a balanced attack on offense against Eastwood it just didn't work. For example, they used several backs and WRs in the rotation. However Eastwood is a much better team then their record shows. And they proved it against Montwood Friday night. The credit goes to Eastwood's defense.

The Troopers had a game plan that they executed very well. First, they took away MWs deep passing threat by doubling and sometimes triple teaming #4. Second, the defense put allot of pressure on MWs QB resulting in sacks and interceptions. Third, the Troopers controlled the clock with their running game and 4th down conversions. Lastly, The Troopers coaches simply out-coached MWs coaches.

So what happened to Montwood? Did they take this game too lightly? Who knows? But here is what I think happened:

Offense:

O-Line: in all fairness, most would say that MWs O-Line has done a pretty decent job of protecting their QB all season and simply had a bad night against Eastwood.

QB: #1 Fernandez was pressured by the Troopers defense non-stop, resulting in sacks, hurries, and interceptions.

RBs: MW was never really able to establish their running game.

WRs: out of MWs trio of playmaking WRs, #5 Garibay suffered a season ending injury last week against PHs and did not play against Eastwood. Their best WR #4 Andrus was playing both ways hurt the entire game and was primarily used as a decoy on offense, this made #3 Cepeda, MWs number one target during the game. Furthermore, this game was a great opportunity for other WRs to step up such as #8 Aguilar who had 2 receptions for 87 yards and a TD against Eastwood.

Defense

D-Line: although the D-Line made some good stops they wasn't consistent enough and failed to make stops when they needed it the most on 4th downs.

LBs: I think everyone knows by now that MWs weakest link on defense is the LB corps. Once again they LBs played terribly, not only did they fail to make stops but looked lost and confused. While Eastwoods RBs were averaging 5+ yards a carry.

Secondary: The Troopers not only had success running the football but they had an equal amount of success passing the ball as well. MWs list 6.0' #3 WR Cepeda as a WR/CB on their team roster. But I have yet to see him play CB. He would have matched up well against #80 6.3' WR Pete Cadena, leaving only #12 Minjariz for them to worry about.

Going forward congratulations to the Troopers for playing an overall great game to close out their season.

And hopefully Montwood will make the necessary adjustment before they take on the Midland Builldogs for the second time this season in a Thursday night game. Moreover, despite MW beating Midland in a shootout early in the season and their 3-7 record, MW needs to take this game seriously and make whatever adjustments that they need to make, especially on defense if they want to win this game.

My pick: Montwood in another high scoring game.

Montwood doesn't have Running Backs. Andrew is their Running Back. You think I'm full of it??? When this season has Montwood had a running back rush for over 100 yards??? And how many times did he do it.

That's Montwood's offensive problem they have no beast in the backfield. No need to mention Montwood's swiss cheese defense.

mikeo3car wasn't replaying to you, I was replaying to easttexas about Thursdays game.

1 2 3 4
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m