EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
El Paso Athlete vs. East Texas Athlete

El Paso,

Here is a sincere and constructive critical letter addressed to the El Paso student athlete, El Paso coaches and El Paso athletic directors. In fact, this letter is quite simple and to the point. So parents you are the backbone of your students success and consequently you have power to make your school competitive...you have been asking the Gold, 64k dollar question for years, decades. The question El Paso has been asking for years...without no solution or answer to its generational problem. Why? Why, can't El Paso teams compete against east Texas teams. So the answer is quite simple, the answer lies on the obvious. Nutrition and Strategic training. There! There lies your problems. Too many fast food joints being visited by your student athletes, the main focus for many El Paso athletes is food. Namely, fast food. Not sold on the answer? Take a look at the east Texas athlete and compare him to an El Paso high school athlete. Heck! Compare the cheerleaders, their waistline is always equipped with extra baggy obliques. Fast food! In east texas there are standards and accountability, you don't make the fat percentage and conditioning you don't represent Converse Judson football, Katy or Aledo! Period. so there you have it El Paso. Digest it, think about it and be true to the obvious and you may compete soon at the next level!

Go Eagles! Katy!

Re: El Paso Athlete vs. East Texas Athlete

stfu......this is stupid. you fuccin east Texas guys act like all east Texas teams are better than our teams. well their not. the same teams are winning and that is because of recruiting etc......so stop.

Yup...thats why El Paso doesn't get anywhere with people like you refusing to acknowledge the problem. Recruiting? wow...you must not understand football at this level or even been to east Tex. The kids work hard at their craft, you don't give them credit for the sacrifice they put in on nutrition and conditioning. El Paso stays put where they are with the mentality you have. I hope you are not a coach. Wowsers! Yikes!

East Texas
El Paso,

Here is a sincere and constructive critical letter addressed to the El Paso student athlete, El Paso coaches and El Paso athletic directors. In fact, this letter is quite simple and to the point. So parents you are the backbone of your students success and consequently you have power to make your school competitive...you have been asking the Gold, 64k dollar question for years, decades. The question El Paso has been asking for years...without no solution or answer to its generational problem. Why? Why, can't El Paso teams compete against east Texas teams. So the answer is quite simple, the answer lies on the obvious. Nutrition and Strategic training. There! There lies your problems. Too many fast food joints being visited by your student athletes, the main focus for many El Paso athletes is food. Namely, fast food. Not sold on the answer? Take a look at the east Texas athlete and compare him to an El Paso high school athlete. Heck! Compare the cheerleaders, their waistline is always equipped with extra baggy obliques. Fast food! In east texas there are standards and accountability, you don't make the fat percentage and conditioning you don't represent Converse Judson football, Katy or Aledo! Period. so there you have it El Paso. Digest it, think about it and be true to the obvious and you may compete soon at the next level!

Go Eagles! Katy!

Do you actually know any athletes or anything about El Paso football? Where’d you get the idea that all our athletes eat fast food everyday? It seems to me like you’re just an outsider looking in. Not to sure the problem lies with the nutrition or whatever other bs you’re talking about. There’s plenty of outstanding athletes here in EP all who i’m sure don’t go too fast food joints everyday like you think they do. Some of those athletes are Deion Hankins (5th ranked running back in the state and finished 1st last season i believe), Tyrese Andrus, Cedarius Barefield and the list goes on. The only problem with El Paso is that all the talent here is too spread out. There are a total of 25 f**king schools here and they just keep popping up. So no the problem isn’t “nutrition and strategic training” we just have too many schools here. Thanks for the advice though. Go enjoy you’re 64 million dollar stadium bud! GO EL PASO!

Hmmm...interesting argument but I think you are just simply finding an excuse. We have a unilateral company that does athletics analysis in Dallas. We have alot of data to work with, and the facts support the advice i provided to El paso. In fact, Bel Air El Paso, Socorro, El Paso High and even Riverside Middle are schools that we assist so we have been there we have people that know the city and the community. So we understand the frustration. If you take a consensus case study on your coaches, your coaches will agree and if they don't then they are simply there to collect a paycheck. With that being said, football is a very physical sport that requires the training to succeed. The players you mentioned are good players in el paso, they are fantastic and the crop of the city, however in east texas it would be a different story. In our regions they may be 2nd or 3rd tier players. Not one of the players you mentioned will play D-1 major, they do not have the foundation to play at that level. Not destined and programmed to do so and not coached for that environment of D1-major. On the other hand our east texas athletes are geared to take the mental and physical challenges by thinking and understanding what it takes. El Paso has to change what is broken if they ever want to compete at our levels.

Eh, some of the teams youve listed arent known for being powerhouse schools in football.

To the same lame excuse about too many high schools, teams like Laredo United with over 4000 students are staying home this year. Theyve never been able to beat teams like Westlake or Judson. Other teams like Plano East and West also have large enrollments and their football success has been minimal. The best option for EP schools to possibly succeed in the playoffs is having 2000-2100 students at most. At that point those schools would be amongst the largest in class 5a.

My son and I love Burgers more than State titles. You keep, shine it till it sparkles and stare at your State titles all day long and we will enjoy life to the fullest.

thisbis someone trying to sell a service like outside training this isn't an easy texas person. btw since you are from her you can't say what east Texas teams do that we don't do. btw......what about the 90% of schools in east Texas that are the same as us. again stfu

Not justifying what this guy is saying, but I can somewhat see what he is saying. I don't think every El Paso kid is just eating fast food 24/7, but nutrition is a big part of being successful. We have the talent here in El Paso to compete with the rest of the state. I don't care what he says, Dion would start at just about any high school in Texas. I think the big thing is the standards that coaches and players are held at. But with higher standards should come higher salaries for coaches. With higher standards for players should come more booster funds and community involvement. It's not just one or two issues, but multiple small issues that could be resolved. It just comes down to if we as in coaches, players, and communities want it bad enough. Last year we all talked about what we thought were the issues, but nothing was ever really done. Hopefully it changes this year. One last thing I will say though, is over the past few years it seems like we are catching up to the Midland, Odessa, and Lubbock teams, and that to me is something to look at to continue growing towards. Good luck to all El Paso teams and I will be pulling for you to shut these East Texas teams up.

what kills me is that they act like all the teams are better than ours when it is the same teams winning every year. and those teams have all the tools money and recruit

The thing that cracks me up is they all claim to be Permian or Allen fans...I know that's a lie. Allen doesn't give to sh*ts about us. Why would they come on this forum? Permian maybe, but I doubt it. I would put money on that they are either El Paso people posing as out of towners or out of towners whose team sucks.

I thinknthia is an in towner trying to push their elite training business.

East Texas
El Paso,

Go Eagles! Katy!

Dang!!! You even had to go to the extent to body shame our cheerleaders! I'll have you know some of these squads have power tumblers!

I'll humor you and stroke your ego, Yes you're the best!! I love my chunky rolls!

Wow...you try to help El Paso and the defensive side lunges! Again..another year more excuses.. Lol...nothing to sell no elite training no nothing just sound proven advice...just trying to paint the picture of truth on why the city is stuck in its hs sports. So I have family in El Paso..here to visit. Thought I would participate and help on this forum...share what works in our part of the state. As for the teams I listed all having phenominal seasons. Look it up..do some research...as for the people wanting to stick to their fat intake...its all good. Enjoy just stop complaining that you cant compete. Montwood El Paso should be about the only crack El Paso has to compete vs Keller or Arlington..Montwood, they are ranked 131 in state...long shot...but about the only hope. Karlos has some good points though...enjoyed his post.

East Texas
Wow...you try to help El Paso and the defensive side lunges! Again..another year more excuses.. Lol...nothing to sell no elite training no nothing just sound proven advice...just trying to paint the picture of truth on why the city is stuck in its hs sports. So I have family in El Paso..here to visit. Thought I would participate and help on this forum...share what works in our part of the state. As for the teams I listed all having phenominal seasons. Look it up..do some research...as for the people wanting to stick to their fat intake...its all good. Enjoy just stop complaining that you cant compete. Montwood El Paso should be about the only crack El Paso has to compete vs Keller or Arlington..Montwood, they are ranked 131 in state...long shot...but about the only hope. Karlos has some good points though...enjoyed his post.

Just because you're from a city or part of Texas that has high school football teams that win State titles or what have you does not make you an expert. Get over yourself.

Curious
Hopefully it changes this year. One last thing I will say though, is over the past few years it seems like we are catching up to the Midland, Odessa, and Lubbock teams, and that to me is something to look at to continue growing towards. Good luck to all El Paso teams and I will be pulling for you to shut these East Texas teams up.

Ive been following local and state hs football for 20 years. For a long time, during the entire 80s and 90s, only one, ONE El Paso team advanced vs an out of town team. Since 2001 it is a completely different story. Now it is a complete disappointment if at least one 6a and 5a team doesnt beat a West Texas team each year.

Matt Stepp wrote this on these boards before: the ISD's need to seriously invest in the development of the coaching and training staffs. He wrote, among several things, that they need to attend the coaching seminars and bring that knowledge back to their schools. Sure makes a whole lot of sense.

Alex. I have been doing it a long time. Long..long time. But also I am a father of 6 boys that have been through the ranks. I will tell you two of my boys were a bit different going into their athletic careers. They found excuses why they couldnt perform...instead of focusing on improving they leaned on people who had sympathy for them. We encouraged them...we trained them with self accountability and perseverance. They are better for it in all aspects of life. Excuses are just passes ...El Paso has to learn not to accept it. So so much of it is psychological...dont get me wrong I love El Paso..I guess thats why its frustrating for me not to get this part of Texas going. We have offered El Paso coaches help but there is very little communication with our East texas coaches. In essence, coaches feel either intimidated or feel chastized. Not sure...Go Rams! I would love to see Montwood play Keller or Arlington. Both are ranked around 50th in the state. Montwood btw is 131st.

Karlos you have hit the nail on the head..the gap with mid texas has closed. Odessa Permian is still a beast. We in East Texas have tremendous respect for Mojo. You should hear and see their training regiments...some of the best in the nation. They do alot of visual acuity exercises..also the bolster their confidence through team building skills. Businesses rally aroung by providing the best nutrition...parents attend practices..each player takes accountability by cleaning their own uniforms..lockers..gear..etc..tremendous discipline. Thanks for your posts Karlos.

Mike you are on target. There is quite alot of work east texas schools coaches..parents and players do on their own to try to reach some level of optimum performance. Networking is also very important..coaches need to bridge the communication gap.but more importantly..nutrition..is the core of all things. Simple but true. Ask any coach.."coach was is your nutrition regiment for your team...?" The answer will relect his team's progress or status. Does he know if his qb is eating fish or chicken..? How often? Etc..makes a huge difference on the win column.

East Texas
Mike you are on target. There is quite alot of work east texas schools coaches..parents and players do on their own to try to reach some level of optimum performance. Networking is also very important..coaches need to bridge the communication gap.but more importantly..nutrition..is the core of all things. Simple but true. Ask any coach.."coach was is your nutrition regiment for your team...?" The answer will relect his team's progress or status. Does he know if his qb is eating fish or chicken..? How often? Etc..makes a huge difference on the win column.

You mean Stepp is on target that it does take that kind of investment. As he wrote, it isn't trying to find the "right coach" that can turn program(s) around on his own. Hire coaches willing to be trained and then get them the training. You mentioned networking, and it is something Matt also mentioned. A lot of coaches around the state know many of their peers. Those seminars and other activities are a big part of those relationships.

Just my opinion: I think most coaches around the state - while not giving out too much - are willing to share certain ideas with their peers, because they want to see TXHSFB and, most importantly, kids succeed.

I believe you are missing a lot of other factors. East Texas has more football participation to begin with, so they can afford to have more stringent requirements for making the team. I remember when we played Aledo in 05, they had a relatively small school enrollment compared to us, yet still had enough players to have multiple lower level squads (I think they had 2 freshman teams & 2 other sub-varsity/JV teams), while we only had a 1 freshman & 1 JV squad at the time.

That also allows them to justify hiring more assistant coaches, which can provide more focused help to the varsity when they’re not dealing with the lower level squads. In addition, they have more money to hire higher quantity and quality of coaches. El Paso coaching salaries are some of the lowest in the state by far. & while some of that might be due to less emphasis being placed on football, some of it is just that the area has less money, though many are inclined to just ignore this uncomfortable truth and hand-wave it away. Aledo’s per-capita income is 150% of El Paso’s.

If nutrition is such an issue, why does El Paso compete alot better in other sports at the state level?

East Texas
El Paso,

Go Eagles! Katy!
Just maybe if we would put 3 High Schools into 1 High School Like you guys in the East. You know exactly what I’m talking about.

I just love the Playoff season. Out of towners start making their way to this message board. I love it!!!

Juco
I just love the Playoff season. Out of towners start making their way to this message board. I love it!!!

And other times this year I got mocked for giving feedback concerning 2-6A teams during the pre-district matchups. I didn't comment a lot after district play started, but I did try to read the 1-6A threads. Perhaps if the members welcomed commentary from fans across the state, one could see more perspectives than just during playoff time. They could learn more about EPISD, SISD, YISD football, and vice versa.

East Texas,

As you can see from some of the comments, justified or not, some people here don't take criticism very well. But I find many of the opinions expressed on this topic very interesting to say the least. And I agree with the opinion that there are several reasons why we haven't seen an ELP team advance go past the 3rd or 4th round of the UIL playoffs.

But I don't agree with the idea that our top kids would be considered tier 2 and 3 level players compared to East Texas players. Players like QB Cedarious Barfield, WR Tyreese Andrus, QB AJ Briggs, RB Deion Hankins, WR Cameron Hill, WR Khatib Lyles, QB Andrew Fernandez, QB Anthony Baird, QB Justin White, WR Robert Minjariz, WR De'Quan Henderson, WR Christian McKeever, WR Ivan Avina, WR Rudy Quezada, WR Zacariouaous Presha, WR Nick Fraye, QB Raymond Montez, and RB Willie Perez to name a few athletes, I'm confident can compete with players throughout the state.

For example, early in the season QB Cedarious Barfield scored 4 TDs against Midland Lee and 7 TDs against Frenship, while Montwood WR Tyreese Andrus scored 5 TDs against Midland and 2 TDs against Frenship. But whenever a player from ELP out-performs other players in the state, the first thing that we hear from outsiders is that the opposing team isn't that good this year, instead of giving ELP players the credit that they are due.

I also agree with the argument that we have too many HS in El Paso and not enough talent to go around. All of the players mentioned above play for different high schools in El Paso.

Now here is my opinion on this topic that I believe many El Pasoans may not agree but the numbers don't lie. That said, El Paso is the largest metro area on the U.S./Mexican border and is located at the furthest western tip of Texas, where New Mexico and the Mexican state of Chihuahua meet with a population of 683,080 as of July 2016. According to the demographics, whites (524,764) and hispanics (523,721) make up 80% of the population. While blacks (22,006) make up only 3% of the population. So in a sport that is heavily dominated by white and black athletes, one can argue that there are simply not enough talented black athletes to go around in El Paso. And Montwood High School is a prime example considering the fact that they only have one black athlete on the varsity team.

This is not a criticism of the culture or the people here in El Paso. But an observation of what I've seen and the numbers don't lie. There are many professional sports where the demographics are more balanced such as baseball, soccer, and boxing. But football historical is not one of those sports as it pertains to Hispanic athletes at the college and professional levels. For example, with 1155 players, the black population of the NFL runs away with a 68% majority. In a distant second are the 470 white players who make up 28% of the league. The following three racial categories, Other, Asian/Pacific Islander and Hispanic, make up a combined 4.36% of the league.

Is East Texas the same guy as Karlos? East Texas is trying to sell a product? Sounds like it!!

Nutrition is alot heavier (protein) than in other sports anyone can tell you that.

915...wow..i guess you never played football..putting 3 school populations into one hs or even 10...will not yield an elite team. Foundation..core...coaching disciplines is paramount.

No..I just agreed with Karlos..thats all. Good excuse to dodge the truth...ANOTHER EXCUSE...EXCUSE..EXCUSE..EXCUSES...frustrating city mentality is like quicksand.

frustrating city mentality is like quicksand.....THEN LEAVE BEFORE YOU ARE SUCKED IN.....

Leave where? The truth will make you better. Just trying to help El Paso football....El Paso drags the city down as a whole...East texas for yrs. have tried helping and mentoring El Paso coaches with no luck.

East Tex....you have it bad. If you have tried to mentor the heathen el paso coaches with no luck just go back to East Texas where I am sure they drool for your sage advice.

Go back to East Texas??? What?? We are in East Texas why would we go back to where??...wow...things are confusing over in El Paso.

East Tex you stated.....So I have family in El Paso..here to visit. So are you here or not? Man get your message straight so I won't be confused....must be all the fast food we eat around here....wait another excuse...we are so full of excuses around here.

Brother you need to work on your sales technique. You can't expect to get willing clients if you go around saying we have a certain mentality, our Tier 2-3 athletes can't compete at your East Texas level, oh and best one yet.....

Heck! Compare the cheerleaders, their waistline is always equipped with extra baggy obliques.

All these messages don't motivate, they antagonize. But it's okay I suppose that was your intent all along. So, if you are here visiting family enjoy our lovely city. However don't use disparaging words to shame us in buying your product.

And if you are in East Texas, do come visit us. We will treat you to some nice fattening Mexican food.

Man...you all here in our city harp on this East Texas guy for speaking truths. Crazy...why can't we just face it and say ...Yes...truth, we are subpar...for years..we need help. The guy hasn't sold anything, not a word about any product and you all still insist and ignore the truth. Man up 'confused' and help the cause instead of de-bridge our city, we are in this situation of being subpar to the rest of the state because we are defensive, we defend and argue something we have no clue on how to solve. Thats why we always get our butts served ! yet we have all the answers...another year of generational failure. Lets just drop the playoffs and hold playoffs within ourselves if we can't get better to take on the competition.

EP Truth
Man...you all here in our city harp on this East Texas guy for speaking truths. Crazy...why can't we just face it and say ...Yes...truth, we are subpar...for years..we need help. The guy hasn't sold anything, not a word about any product and you all still insist and ignore the truth. Man up 'confused' and help the cause instead of de-bridge our city, we are in this situation of being subpar to the rest of the state because we are defensive, we defend and argue something we have no clue on how to solve. Thats why we always get our butts served ! yet we have all the answers...another year of generational failure. Lets just drop the playoffs and hold playoffs within ourselves if we can't get better to take on the competition.

What truths? I agree we are a level below the rest of Texas, as far as football goes, but the reasons he mentioned as to why we can’t compete with teams like Allen and Katy and all the other powerhouses are just not correct. East Texas mentioned that the kids here don’t work hard enough or aren’t focused enough on their craft but i think that’s just a bunch of bs. I know plenty of kids aroud EP that work hard and take care of their bodies and just try and better themselves each and every day. So where the f*ck did he even get that bs from? Man the problem isn’t the kids work ethic or lack there of it’s that our talent is too spread out. For a population of 600k here in EP there are 25 schools along with other little insignificant schools that are either private or early college programs. The city of Allen had a population of just under 100k in 2016. The student population for Allen high school was roughly 6.5K for the 2016-2017 school year. Literally everyone in the town of Allen goes to Allen high school. Schools like that tend to usually be more successful year after year because they have more kids that attend their schools meaning more opportunities for bigger and better teams. One of the largest schools here just so happens to be Montwood with a population of just under 2.5K and they just so happen to be the best team in the city. Schools with bigger student populations TEND to be better here in Texas. All there is to it

Ok. Its the population...lets just blame it on the pool of kids. We will ride that excuse for the next 30 yrs and see where that takes us. Others cities that have similar demographic lines to EP how do they do it? They output quality 🏈...there is nothing wrong with changing what isnt working. Why such stubborness and denial? Whew...!!#?

East Texas
Ok. Its the population...lets just blame it on the pool of kids. We will ride that excuse for the next 30 yrs and see where that takes us. Others cities that have similar demographic lines to EP how do they do it? They output quality 🏈...there is nothing wrong with changing what isnt working. Why such stubborness and denial? Whew...!!#?

Right?!

So where are all the titles Laredo United or La Joya have won? For a few years, about 12-15 years ago La Joya had 5000-6000 kids enrolled in their only HS. They could never beat Westlake or Judson either. Show me how many titles Plano, Plano West and Plano East have won in football!

People complain about too many High schools but areas like DFW and Houston Have over 100 each at the 4a/5a levels! Again, people all over the state all love to beat the Allen horse to death, but they dismiss schools like Katy and SL Carroll (with pops of 2500-3000) because they dont fit narrative. How about Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lake Travis, Steele? How many students so you think they have? Not 4000-5000 like some of yall would seem to think.

Crazy how defensive people get when we have defecits but unwilling to acknowledge and do something about it. This argument spills over to teaching generations..participate and you will get a participation trophy...mijo! You are a winner!! Ahhh c'mon...we are just a soft city - Karlos, East Texas...Expectations are low..so success is low. I played football in 1985 for Bel Air during the times when playoffs were held at the Sun Bowl! Some older folks may remember... 30k people attended...maddness!!..could possibly be the best era for El Paso HS football...AND EVEN THOSE TIMES WE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH TO BEAT MOJO..SA CENTRAL...HOBBS NM...we just didnt have a sound foundation then and we are worst now...now with the excuses and softness.
Population...ahhh man..c'mon...

Thank you for a good dialogue..in agreement or not...there is always value that comes out with a good topic to discuss. The cards are on the table...the opinions are out there...there are things to get fixed. Hopefully people will step up soon in El Paso. Thank you all !!

With the mentality that ELP has, they might get pass Area but will never pass regional!

Good luck to all TEXAS HS teams, Play hard and play safe!

EP Truth
Crazy how defensive people get when we have defecits but unwilling to acknowledge and do something about it. This argument spills over to teaching generations..participate and you will get a participation trophy...mijo! You are a winner!! Ahhh c'mon...we are just a soft city - Karlos, East Texas...Expectations are low..so success is low. I played football in 1985 for Bel Air during the times when playoffs were held at the Sun Bowl! Some older folks may remember... 30k people attended...maddness!!..could possibly be the best era for El Paso HS football...AND EVEN THOSE TIMES WE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH TO BEAT MOJO..SA CENTRAL...HOBBS NM...we just didnt have a sound foundation then and we are worst now...now with the excuses and softness.
Population...ahhh man..c'mon...

Bet you're the kind of guy that also complains about millennials eating avocado toast. I'm kidding, you bring up a fair point. However I'm not quite sure expectations are as low as you'd say. More and more I see teams stacking their pre-district schedules with likely 1st or 2nd round opponents. Now on the nutrition, yeah it's an absolutely true point that tuning up our nutrition would yield dividends. However, I don't believe that to be the end all be all. If you're the average Hispanic kid out of El Paso, your parents were probably somewhere around 5'7", that spells bad news for you. So yeah brother, no amount of salmon steaks is going to turn our mijos into six footers.

james
With the mentality that ELP has, they might get pass Area but will never pass regional!

Good luck to all TEXAS HS teams, Play hard and play safe!

So I'm guessing Canutillo's 2014 Semi Final run never happened? I guess part of the ELP mentality is short term memory loss....

Boaz
East Texas,

As you can see from some of the comments, justified or not, some people here don't take criticism very well. But I find many of the opinions expressed on this topic very interesting to say the least. And I agree with the opinion that there are several reasons why we haven't seen an ELP team advance go past the 3rd or 4th round of the UIL playoffs.

But I don't agree with the idea that our top kids would be considered tier 2 and 3 level players compared to East Texas players. Players like QB Cedarious Barfield, WR Tyreese Andrus, QB AJ Briggs, RB Deion Hankins, WR Cameron Hill, WR Khatib Lyles, QB Andrew Fernandez, QB Anthony Baird, QB Justin White, WR Robert Minjariz, WR De'Quan Henderson, WR Christian McKeever, WR Ivan Avina, WR Rudy Quezada, WR Zacariouaous Presha, WR Nick Fraye, QB Raymond Montez, and RB Willie Perez to name a few athletes, I'm confident can compete with players throughout the state.

For example, early in the season QB Cedarious Barfield scored 4 TDs against Midland Lee and 7 TDs against Frenship, while Montwood WR Tyreese Andrus scored 5 TDs against Midland and 2 TDs against Frenship. But whenever a player from ELP out-performs other players in the state, the first thing that we hear from outsiders is that the opposing team isn't that good this year, instead of giving ELP players the credit that they are due.

I also agree with the argument that we have too many HS in El Paso and not enough talent to go around. All of the players mentioned above play for different high schools in El Paso.

Now here is my opinion on this topic that I believe many El Pasoans may not agree but the numbers don't lie. That said, El Paso is the largest metro area on the U.S./Mexican border and is located at the furthest western tip of Texas, where New Mexico and the Mexican state of Chihuahua meet with a population of 683,080 as of July 2016. According to the demographics, whites (524,764) and hispanics (523,721) make up 80% of the population. While blacks (22,006) make up only 3% of the population. So in a sport that is heavily dominated by white and black athletes, one can argue that there are simply not enough talented black athletes to go around in El Paso. And Montwood High School is a prime example considering the fact that they only have one black athlete on the varsity team.

This is not a criticism of the culture or the people here in El Paso. But an observation of what I've seen and the numbers don't lie. There are many professional sports where the demographics are more balanced such as baseball, soccer, and boxing. But football historical is not one of those sports as it pertains to Hispanic athletes at the college and professional levels. For example, with 1155 players, the black population of the NFL runs away with a 68% majority. In a distant second are the 470 white players who make up 28% of the league. The following three racial categories, Other, Asian/Pacific Islander and Hispanic, make up a combined 4.36% of the league.

Good points

East Texas, ill race you.... guarantee ill smoke you all day long and probably teach you a little about nutrition as well. Ha ha !!!

Oh Bat..you are a kidder...lol..cute..i remember also when i had my first beer..cute..lol..you will smoke me! Hmm..nutrition..now thats probably unlikely. I will be at the montwood game this thursday assisting the coaches from keller and arlington. Maybe we can race to the fast food stand ? Just kidding..lol

East Texas
Oh Bat..you are a kidder...lol..cute..i remember also when i had my first beer..cute..lol..you will smoke me! Hmm..nutrition..now thats probably unlikely. I will be at the montwood game this thursday assisting the coaches from keller and arlington. Maybe we can race to the fast food stand ? Just kidding..lol

Yah wherever you want,... trust me you don't impress me much. I've been around some pretty elite competitors that aren't high school kids. you get on here thinking you're something special with your talk about nutrition and all this other garbage as if it's a huge revelation...i agree yes nutrition is important everyone knows that, but to say that that is the solution to ep football is outrageous.

Nutrition is paramount Bat. Even if its outrageous to you..I find it funny you don't agree..seems to me that maybe YOU should be on the list of targets for bad eating habits. Lol...sooo defensive.

East Texas- I agree on your positions even if it hurts to agree. There are just so many quick tempered people that dont understand the recipe to be an elite athlete. My own stomach is one...lol

Go Montwood!!!
Midland 27 Montwood 34

Alright...Bat. You win...lol..you are right to be an elite athlete you just need to ignore nutrition...be confrontational, talk smack...no poise..ok..you are right then. Have all upcoming generations get mentored on your perspective. Smile..😃

East Texas
Alright...Bat. You win...lol..you are right to be an elite athlete you just need to ignore nutrition...be confrontational, talk smack...no poise..ok..you are right then. Have all upcoming generations get mentored on your perspective. Smile..😃
You're a tool bag, read the post! Never did I say it wasn't important. What I did say is that the solution to ep athletes/football isn't just nutrition as you say it is. Get out of here already, I hope one of our malnourished teams take it to your east Texas teams!

It’s not necessarily the athlete, it’s the entire culture. Football is flat out more important. You have powerlifting, Head Coaches and coordinators rarely have regular classes or none at all. Family insists that there son goes to workouts. Majority of schools in East TX charge there players to attend summer workouts. I personally do not think El Paso kids and parents wouldn’t attend if they had to pay. FEAR a lot not all coaches and players fear or assume they will lose when they go play out of town.

Bat
East Texas
You're a tool bag, read the post! Never did I say it wasn't important. What I did say is that the solution to ep athletes/football isn't just nutrition as you say it is. Get out of here already, I hope one of our malnourished teams take it to your east Texas teams!
Bat...you arent the brightest tool in the shed..are you? Dang..you still come here and talk smack after El Paso teams get blasted? C'mon man...dont be a hater..East Texas takes care of business..we simply dont..dont act like a fool and continue to act like an El Paso fool and show down our city. What a tool you are. El Dorado? Zero points? And you still blabber?..

°§μ©Ωθฯ
Bat
East Texas
You\'re a tool bag, read the post! Never did I say it wasn\'t important. What I did say is that the solution to ep athletes/football isn\'t just nutrition as you say it is. Get out of here already, I hope one of our malnourished teams take it to your east Texas teams!
Bat...you arent the brightest tool in the shed..are you? Dang..you still come here and talk smack after El Paso teams get blasted? C'mon man...dont be a hater..East Texas takes care of business..we simply dont..dont act like a fool and continue to act like an El Paso fool and show down our city. What a tool you are. El Dorado? Zero points? And you still blabber?..
Easy for out of towers or haters of El Paso HS football to use any teams East of El Paso to fit their narrative, arguements, and opinions.

They should post the team that they played for or the team their son plays for and use that team to make their narrative, arguement, and opinions by comparing it to El Paso HS football instead of using a team East of Texas or all the teams East of Texas.

Stop hiding behind a army of East Texas teams from multiple Texas cities to put down one city El Paso.

They should stop being wussies.

Blame others..excuses..fingerpointing...you must of b
Never played or understand team sports. Its all about accountability..do your job Juco. Not say the others have the problems..not us...:wink:

°§μ©Ωθฯ
Blame others..excuses..fingerpointing...you must of b
Never played or understand team sports. Its all about accountability..do your job Juco. Not say the others have the problems..not us...:wink:
You got it expert :+1:

Juco agrees. Well at least there some juco (almost D1 capability) people are some slwith some sense out there. Lol

Just a thought guys:

Money in athletics. The east pays their coaches. They put money into facilities. Everyone in Dallas has an indoor facility and nice weight rooms.

Living in Houston but from El Paso and watching my son play I see that elite El Paso players could play in east Texas. Problem is that there are more of them especially in the Houston and Dallas metro area.

Coaching: quality of coaching in El Paso has improved so has competition. But the successful people on the east are head and shoulders above your guys coaching. They have access to colleges and they constantly try to improve their trade. But they also lose their jobs if they lose. Case and point: the offensive teams are scoring lots of points out there. Maybe it’s the quality of defense being played? They score a bunch of points against each other, but they play an out of town team and it’s not the same.

Administration: The way they run their programs is critical. They have more coaches paid, most programs have 14-17 coaches on staff. The head football coach is the campus coordinator if not the ad. All coaches are on campus, they coach other sports allowing football kids to participate in other sports and improving athleticism. They have huge track programs. Many control the middle school coaches and what they do.

All your districts ought to do a study of athletic programs in big districts like El Paso and find out how they do things. Then try and implement.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m