EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: El Paso Athlete vs. East Texas Athlete

I believe you are missing a lot of other factors. East Texas has more football participation to begin with, so they can afford to have more stringent requirements for making the team. I remember when we played Aledo in 05, they had a relatively small school enrollment compared to us, yet still had enough players to have multiple lower level squads (I think they had 2 freshman teams & 2 other sub-varsity/JV teams), while we only had a 1 freshman & 1 JV squad at the time.

That also allows them to justify hiring more assistant coaches, which can provide more focused help to the varsity when they’re not dealing with the lower level squads. In addition, they have more money to hire higher quantity and quality of coaches. El Paso coaching salaries are some of the lowest in the state by far. & while some of that might be due to less emphasis being placed on football, some of it is just that the area has less money, though many are inclined to just ignore this uncomfortable truth and hand-wave it away. Aledo’s per-capita income is 150% of El Paso’s.

If nutrition is such an issue, why does El Paso compete alot better in other sports at the state level?

East Texas
El Paso,

Here is a sincere and constructive critical letter addressed to the El Paso student athlete, El Paso coaches and El Paso athletic directors. In fact, this letter is quite simple and to the point. So parents you are the backbone of your students success and consequently you have power to make your school competitive...you have been asking the Gold, 64k dollar question for years, decades. The question El Paso has been asking for years...without no solution or answer to its generational problem. Why? Why, can't El Paso teams compete against east Texas teams. So the answer is quite simple, the answer lies on the obvious. Nutrition and Strategic training. There! There lies your problems. Too many fast food joints being visited by your student athletes, the main focus for many El Paso athletes is food. Namely, fast food. Not sold on the answer? Take a look at the east Texas athlete and compare him to an El Paso high school athlete. Heck! Compare the cheerleaders, their waistline is always equipped with extra baggy obliques. Fast food! In east texas there are standards and accountability, you don't make the fat percentage and conditioning you don't represent Converse Judson football, Katy or Aledo! Period. so there you have it El Paso. Digest it, think about it and be true to the obvious and you may compete soon at the next level!

Go Eagles! Katy!
Just maybe if we would put 3 High Schools into 1 High School Like you guys in the East. You know exactly what I’m talking about.

I just love the Playoff season. Out of towners start making their way to this message board. I love it!!!

Juco
I just love the Playoff season. Out of towners start making their way to this message board. I love it!!!

And other times this year I got mocked for giving feedback concerning 2-6A teams during the pre-district matchups. I didn't comment a lot after district play started, but I did try to read the 1-6A threads. Perhaps if the members welcomed commentary from fans across the state, one could see more perspectives than just during playoff time. They could learn more about EPISD, SISD, YISD football, and vice versa.

East Texas,

As you can see from some of the comments, justified or not, some people here don't take criticism very well. But I find many of the opinions expressed on this topic very interesting to say the least. And I agree with the opinion that there are several reasons why we haven't seen an ELP team advance go past the 3rd or 4th round of the UIL playoffs.

But I don't agree with the idea that our top kids would be considered tier 2 and 3 level players compared to East Texas players. Players like QB Cedarious Barfield, WR Tyreese Andrus, QB AJ Briggs, RB Deion Hankins, WR Cameron Hill, WR Khatib Lyles, QB Andrew Fernandez, QB Anthony Baird, QB Justin White, WR Robert Minjariz, WR De'Quan Henderson, WR Christian McKeever, WR Ivan Avina, WR Rudy Quezada, WR Zacariouaous Presha, WR Nick Fraye, QB Raymond Montez, and RB Willie Perez to name a few athletes, I'm confident can compete with players throughout the state.

For example, early in the season QB Cedarious Barfield scored 4 TDs against Midland Lee and 7 TDs against Frenship, while Montwood WR Tyreese Andrus scored 5 TDs against Midland and 2 TDs against Frenship. But whenever a player from ELP out-performs other players in the state, the first thing that we hear from outsiders is that the opposing team isn't that good this year, instead of giving ELP players the credit that they are due.

I also agree with the argument that we have too many HS in El Paso and not enough talent to go around. All of the players mentioned above play for different high schools in El Paso.

Now here is my opinion on this topic that I believe many El Pasoans may not agree but the numbers don't lie. That said, El Paso is the largest metro area on the U.S./Mexican border and is located at the furthest western tip of Texas, where New Mexico and the Mexican state of Chihuahua meet with a population of 683,080 as of July 2016. According to the demographics, whites (524,764) and hispanics (523,721) make up 80% of the population. While blacks (22,006) make up only 3% of the population. So in a sport that is heavily dominated by white and black athletes, one can argue that there are simply not enough talented black athletes to go around in El Paso. And Montwood High School is a prime example considering the fact that they only have one black athlete on the varsity team.

This is not a criticism of the culture or the people here in El Paso. But an observation of what I've seen and the numbers don't lie. There are many professional sports where the demographics are more balanced such as baseball, soccer, and boxing. But football historical is not one of those sports as it pertains to Hispanic athletes at the college and professional levels. For example, with 1155 players, the black population of the NFL runs away with a 68% majority. In a distant second are the 470 white players who make up 28% of the league. The following three racial categories, Other, Asian/Pacific Islander and Hispanic, make up a combined 4.36% of the league.

Is East Texas the same guy as Karlos? East Texas is trying to sell a product? Sounds like it!!

Nutrition is alot heavier (protein) than in other sports anyone can tell you that.

915...wow..i guess you never played football..putting 3 school populations into one hs or even 10...will not yield an elite team. Foundation..core...coaching disciplines is paramount.

No..I just agreed with Karlos..thats all. Good excuse to dodge the truth...ANOTHER EXCUSE...EXCUSE..EXCUSE..EXCUSES...frustrating city mentality is like quicksand.

frustrating city mentality is like quicksand.....THEN LEAVE BEFORE YOU ARE SUCKED IN.....

Leave where? The truth will make you better. Just trying to help El Paso football....El Paso drags the city down as a whole...East texas for yrs. have tried helping and mentoring El Paso coaches with no luck.

East Tex....you have it bad. If you have tried to mentor the heathen el paso coaches with no luck just go back to East Texas where I am sure they drool for your sage advice.

Go back to East Texas??? What?? We are in East Texas why would we go back to where??...wow...things are confusing over in El Paso.

East Tex you stated.....So I have family in El Paso..here to visit. So are you here or not? Man get your message straight so I won't be confused....must be all the fast food we eat around here....wait another excuse...we are so full of excuses around here.

Brother you need to work on your sales technique. You can't expect to get willing clients if you go around saying we have a certain mentality, our Tier 2-3 athletes can't compete at your East Texas level, oh and best one yet.....

Heck! Compare the cheerleaders, their waistline is always equipped with extra baggy obliques.

All these messages don't motivate, they antagonize. But it's okay I suppose that was your intent all along. So, if you are here visiting family enjoy our lovely city. However don't use disparaging words to shame us in buying your product.

And if you are in East Texas, do come visit us. We will treat you to some nice fattening Mexican food.

Man...you all here in our city harp on this East Texas guy for speaking truths. Crazy...why can't we just face it and say ...Yes...truth, we are subpar...for years..we need help. The guy hasn't sold anything, not a word about any product and you all still insist and ignore the truth. Man up 'confused' and help the cause instead of de-bridge our city, we are in this situation of being subpar to the rest of the state because we are defensive, we defend and argue something we have no clue on how to solve. Thats why we always get our butts served ! yet we have all the answers...another year of generational failure. Lets just drop the playoffs and hold playoffs within ourselves if we can't get better to take on the competition.

EP Truth
Man...you all here in our city harp on this East Texas guy for speaking truths. Crazy...why can't we just face it and say ...Yes...truth, we are subpar...for years..we need help. The guy hasn't sold anything, not a word about any product and you all still insist and ignore the truth. Man up 'confused' and help the cause instead of de-bridge our city, we are in this situation of being subpar to the rest of the state because we are defensive, we defend and argue something we have no clue on how to solve. Thats why we always get our butts served ! yet we have all the answers...another year of generational failure. Lets just drop the playoffs and hold playoffs within ourselves if we can't get better to take on the competition.

What truths? I agree we are a level below the rest of Texas, as far as football goes, but the reasons he mentioned as to why we can’t compete with teams like Allen and Katy and all the other powerhouses are just not correct. East Texas mentioned that the kids here don’t work hard enough or aren’t focused enough on their craft but i think that’s just a bunch of bs. I know plenty of kids aroud EP that work hard and take care of their bodies and just try and better themselves each and every day. So where the f*ck did he even get that bs from? Man the problem isn’t the kids work ethic or lack there of it’s that our talent is too spread out. For a population of 600k here in EP there are 25 schools along with other little insignificant schools that are either private or early college programs. The city of Allen had a population of just under 100k in 2016. The student population for Allen high school was roughly 6.5K for the 2016-2017 school year. Literally everyone in the town of Allen goes to Allen high school. Schools like that tend to usually be more successful year after year because they have more kids that attend their schools meaning more opportunities for bigger and better teams. One of the largest schools here just so happens to be Montwood with a population of just under 2.5K and they just so happen to be the best team in the city. Schools with bigger student populations TEND to be better here in Texas. All there is to it

Ok. Its the population...lets just blame it on the pool of kids. We will ride that excuse for the next 30 yrs and see where that takes us. Others cities that have similar demographic lines to EP how do they do it? They output quality 🏈...there is nothing wrong with changing what isnt working. Why such stubborness and denial? Whew...!!#?

East Texas
Ok. Its the population...lets just blame it on the pool of kids. We will ride that excuse for the next 30 yrs and see where that takes us. Others cities that have similar demographic lines to EP how do they do it? They output quality 🏈...there is nothing wrong with changing what isnt working. Why such stubborness and denial? Whew...!!#?

Right?!

So where are all the titles Laredo United or La Joya have won? For a few years, about 12-15 years ago La Joya had 5000-6000 kids enrolled in their only HS. They could never beat Westlake or Judson either. Show me how many titles Plano, Plano West and Plano East have won in football!

People complain about too many High schools but areas like DFW and Houston Have over 100 each at the 4a/5a levels! Again, people all over the state all love to beat the Allen horse to death, but they dismiss schools like Katy and SL Carroll (with pops of 2500-3000) because they dont fit narrative. How about Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lake Travis, Steele? How many students so you think they have? Not 4000-5000 like some of yall would seem to think.

Crazy how defensive people get when we have defecits but unwilling to acknowledge and do something about it. This argument spills over to teaching generations..participate and you will get a participation trophy...mijo! You are a winner!! Ahhh c'mon...we are just a soft city - Karlos, East Texas...Expectations are low..so success is low. I played football in 1985 for Bel Air during the times when playoffs were held at the Sun Bowl! Some older folks may remember... 30k people attended...maddness!!..could possibly be the best era for El Paso HS football...AND EVEN THOSE TIMES WE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH TO BEAT MOJO..SA CENTRAL...HOBBS NM...we just didnt have a sound foundation then and we are worst now...now with the excuses and softness.
Population...ahhh man..c'mon...

Thank you for a good dialogue..in agreement or not...there is always value that comes out with a good topic to discuss. The cards are on the table...the opinions are out there...there are things to get fixed. Hopefully people will step up soon in El Paso. Thank you all !!

1 2 3
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m