EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: El Paso Athlete vs. East Texas Athlete

With the mentality that ELP has, they might get pass Area but will never pass regional!

Good luck to all TEXAS HS teams, Play hard and play safe!

EP Truth
Crazy how defensive people get when we have defecits but unwilling to acknowledge and do something about it. This argument spills over to teaching generations..participate and you will get a participation trophy...mijo! You are a winner!! Ahhh c'mon...we are just a soft city - Karlos, East Texas...Expectations are low..so success is low. I played football in 1985 for Bel Air during the times when playoffs were held at the Sun Bowl! Some older folks may remember... 30k people attended...maddness!!..could possibly be the best era for El Paso HS football...AND EVEN THOSE TIMES WE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH TO BEAT MOJO..SA CENTRAL...HOBBS NM...we just didnt have a sound foundation then and we are worst now...now with the excuses and softness.
Population...ahhh man..c'mon...

Bet you're the kind of guy that also complains about millennials eating avocado toast. I'm kidding, you bring up a fair point. However I'm not quite sure expectations are as low as you'd say. More and more I see teams stacking their pre-district schedules with likely 1st or 2nd round opponents. Now on the nutrition, yeah it's an absolutely true point that tuning up our nutrition would yield dividends. However, I don't believe that to be the end all be all. If you're the average Hispanic kid out of El Paso, your parents were probably somewhere around 5'7", that spells bad news for you. So yeah brother, no amount of salmon steaks is going to turn our mijos into six footers.

james
With the mentality that ELP has, they might get pass Area but will never pass regional!

Good luck to all TEXAS HS teams, Play hard and play safe!

So I'm guessing Canutillo's 2014 Semi Final run never happened? I guess part of the ELP mentality is short term memory loss....

Boaz
East Texas,

As you can see from some of the comments, justified or not, some people here don't take criticism very well. But I find many of the opinions expressed on this topic very interesting to say the least. And I agree with the opinion that there are several reasons why we haven't seen an ELP team advance go past the 3rd or 4th round of the UIL playoffs.

But I don't agree with the idea that our top kids would be considered tier 2 and 3 level players compared to East Texas players. Players like QB Cedarious Barfield, WR Tyreese Andrus, QB AJ Briggs, RB Deion Hankins, WR Cameron Hill, WR Khatib Lyles, QB Andrew Fernandez, QB Anthony Baird, QB Justin White, WR Robert Minjariz, WR De'Quan Henderson, WR Christian McKeever, WR Ivan Avina, WR Rudy Quezada, WR Zacariouaous Presha, WR Nick Fraye, QB Raymond Montez, and RB Willie Perez to name a few athletes, I'm confident can compete with players throughout the state.

For example, early in the season QB Cedarious Barfield scored 4 TDs against Midland Lee and 7 TDs against Frenship, while Montwood WR Tyreese Andrus scored 5 TDs against Midland and 2 TDs against Frenship. But whenever a player from ELP out-performs other players in the state, the first thing that we hear from outsiders is that the opposing team isn't that good this year, instead of giving ELP players the credit that they are due.

I also agree with the argument that we have too many HS in El Paso and not enough talent to go around. All of the players mentioned above play for different high schools in El Paso.

Now here is my opinion on this topic that I believe many El Pasoans may not agree but the numbers don't lie. That said, El Paso is the largest metro area on the U.S./Mexican border and is located at the furthest western tip of Texas, where New Mexico and the Mexican state of Chihuahua meet with a population of 683,080 as of July 2016. According to the demographics, whites (524,764) and hispanics (523,721) make up 80% of the population. While blacks (22,006) make up only 3% of the population. So in a sport that is heavily dominated by white and black athletes, one can argue that there are simply not enough talented black athletes to go around in El Paso. And Montwood High School is a prime example considering the fact that they only have one black athlete on the varsity team.

This is not a criticism of the culture or the people here in El Paso. But an observation of what I've seen and the numbers don't lie. There are many professional sports where the demographics are more balanced such as baseball, soccer, and boxing. But football historical is not one of those sports as it pertains to Hispanic athletes at the college and professional levels. For example, with 1155 players, the black population of the NFL runs away with a 68% majority. In a distant second are the 470 white players who make up 28% of the league. The following three racial categories, Other, Asian/Pacific Islander and Hispanic, make up a combined 4.36% of the league.

Good points

East Texas, ill race you.... guarantee ill smoke you all day long and probably teach you a little about nutrition as well. Ha ha !!!

Oh Bat..you are a kidder...lol..cute..i remember also when i had my first beer..cute..lol..you will smoke me! Hmm..nutrition..now thats probably unlikely. I will be at the montwood game this thursday assisting the coaches from keller and arlington. Maybe we can race to the fast food stand ? Just kidding..lol

East Texas
Oh Bat..you are a kidder...lol..cute..i remember also when i had my first beer..cute..lol..you will smoke me! Hmm..nutrition..now thats probably unlikely. I will be at the montwood game this thursday assisting the coaches from keller and arlington. Maybe we can race to the fast food stand ? Just kidding..lol

Yah wherever you want,... trust me you don't impress me much. I've been around some pretty elite competitors that aren't high school kids. you get on here thinking you're something special with your talk about nutrition and all this other garbage as if it's a huge revelation...i agree yes nutrition is important everyone knows that, but to say that that is the solution to ep football is outrageous.

Nutrition is paramount Bat. Even if its outrageous to you..I find it funny you don't agree..seems to me that maybe YOU should be on the list of targets for bad eating habits. Lol...sooo defensive.

East Texas- I agree on your positions even if it hurts to agree. There are just so many quick tempered people that dont understand the recipe to be an elite athlete. My own stomach is one...lol

Go Montwood!!!
Midland 27 Montwood 34

Alright...Bat. You win...lol..you are right to be an elite athlete you just need to ignore nutrition...be confrontational, talk smack...no poise..ok..you are right then. Have all upcoming generations get mentored on your perspective. Smile..😃

East Texas
Alright...Bat. You win...lol..you are right to be an elite athlete you just need to ignore nutrition...be confrontational, talk smack...no poise..ok..you are right then. Have all upcoming generations get mentored on your perspective. Smile..😃
You're a tool bag, read the post! Never did I say it wasn't important. What I did say is that the solution to ep athletes/football isn't just nutrition as you say it is. Get out of here already, I hope one of our malnourished teams take it to your east Texas teams!

It’s not necessarily the athlete, it’s the entire culture. Football is flat out more important. You have powerlifting, Head Coaches and coordinators rarely have regular classes or none at all. Family insists that there son goes to workouts. Majority of schools in East TX charge there players to attend summer workouts. I personally do not think El Paso kids and parents wouldn’t attend if they had to pay. FEAR a lot not all coaches and players fear or assume they will lose when they go play out of town.

Bat
East Texas
You're a tool bag, read the post! Never did I say it wasn't important. What I did say is that the solution to ep athletes/football isn't just nutrition as you say it is. Get out of here already, I hope one of our malnourished teams take it to your east Texas teams!
Bat...you arent the brightest tool in the shed..are you? Dang..you still come here and talk smack after El Paso teams get blasted? C'mon man...dont be a hater..East Texas takes care of business..we simply dont..dont act like a fool and continue to act like an El Paso fool and show down our city. What a tool you are. El Dorado? Zero points? And you still blabber?..

°§μ©Ωθฯ
Bat
East Texas
You\'re a tool bag, read the post! Never did I say it wasn\'t important. What I did say is that the solution to ep athletes/football isn\'t just nutrition as you say it is. Get out of here already, I hope one of our malnourished teams take it to your east Texas teams!
Bat...you arent the brightest tool in the shed..are you? Dang..you still come here and talk smack after El Paso teams get blasted? C'mon man...dont be a hater..East Texas takes care of business..we simply dont..dont act like a fool and continue to act like an El Paso fool and show down our city. What a tool you are. El Dorado? Zero points? And you still blabber?..
Easy for out of towers or haters of El Paso HS football to use any teams East of El Paso to fit their narrative, arguements, and opinions.

They should post the team that they played for or the team their son plays for and use that team to make their narrative, arguement, and opinions by comparing it to El Paso HS football instead of using a team East of Texas or all the teams East of Texas.

Stop hiding behind a army of East Texas teams from multiple Texas cities to put down one city El Paso.

They should stop being wussies.

Blame others..excuses..fingerpointing...you must of b
Never played or understand team sports. Its all about accountability..do your job Juco. Not say the others have the problems..not us...:wink:

°§μ©Ωθฯ
Blame others..excuses..fingerpointing...you must of b
Never played or understand team sports. Its all about accountability..do your job Juco. Not say the others have the problems..not us...:wink:
You got it expert :+1:

Juco agrees. Well at least there some juco (almost D1 capability) people are some slwith some sense out there. Lol

Just a thought guys:

Money in athletics. The east pays their coaches. They put money into facilities. Everyone in Dallas has an indoor facility and nice weight rooms.

Living in Houston but from El Paso and watching my son play I see that elite El Paso players could play in east Texas. Problem is that there are more of them especially in the Houston and Dallas metro area.

Coaching: quality of coaching in El Paso has improved so has competition. But the successful people on the east are head and shoulders above your guys coaching. They have access to colleges and they constantly try to improve their trade. But they also lose their jobs if they lose. Case and point: the offensive teams are scoring lots of points out there. Maybe it’s the quality of defense being played? They score a bunch of points against each other, but they play an out of town team and it’s not the same.

Administration: The way they run their programs is critical. They have more coaches paid, most programs have 14-17 coaches on staff. The head football coach is the campus coordinator if not the ad. All coaches are on campus, they coach other sports allowing football kids to participate in other sports and improving athleticism. They have huge track programs. Many control the middle school coaches and what they do.

All your districts ought to do a study of athletic programs in big districts like El Paso and find out how they do things. Then try and implement.

1 2 3
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m