EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
So how does Franklin get back to its old days?

From 1997-2006, Franklin never had a losing season. Their worst record was 5-5 in Tony Grijalva's last season.

After Walker took over in 2007, it's been a roller coaster, including some DCs (or one..I forget) in the early 2010s. I've been pretty supportive of Walker, but since 2015, Franklin has not been the same. Something is alarming when the Freshman and JV teams are amazing, but when they get to Varsity, it's a totally different story. You have Lincoln, Brown and Hornedo feeding into Franklin...what else is missing? I understand some schools go through 'rebuilding' years, but this is more than one year of 'rebuilding.'

I've been posting on here since 2004 and never did I think I would be starting a thread named 'So how does Franklin get back to its old days?'

I love Franklin, but it feels weird when the norm is to have a mediocre/losing season. Back then, Franklin losing one game to El Paso schools was very rare.

Re: So how does Franklin get back to its old days?

Brother I've been mulling this over in my head pretty heavily as of late as well. It's a tough one, especially since the Glory days were like night and day. Shut out wins were the norm, all of the Franklin paraphernalia had that classic Black Swarm embossed proudly. Hell even the training regimen was different, the weight room and rotation were proven. Then again those teams also had pro-style offenses and a 4-3 defense....with today's spread offenses...is it even worth going back to those systems?

Never will Franklin get back to its old days for why would they want to get back to its old days?

It's not like Franklin was getting past the second and third rounds of the playoffs on a consistent basis. In fact Franklin in all their years of its school's existence has only got past the second round of the playoffs only ONCE.

You heard that right only ONCE. So it's not like Franklin was some State powerhouse in its past.

There are some of you Franklin people from way back then that for some reason you believe Franklin was indeed a State powerhouse. Get over it and wake the hell up. Franklin was El Paso good and that was all.

But one thing Franklin does have to do is get rid of the head coach and his assistants. Clean house.

UpperValley
Never will Franklin get back to its old days for why would they want to get back to its old days?

It's not like Franklin was getting past the second and third rounds of the playoffs on a consistent basis. In fact Franklin in all their years of its school's existence has only got past the second round of the playoffs only ONCE.

You heard that right only ONCE. So it's not like Franklin was some State powerhouse in its past.

There are some of you Franklin people from way back then that for some reason you believe Franklin was indeed a State powerhouse. Get over it and wake the hell up. Franklin was El Paso good and that was all.

But one thing Franklin does have to do is get rid of the head coach and his assistants. Clean house.

Okay, that's a fair point, although it sounds like there might be a rock in your shoe. The one aspect of the old days that I will defend tooth and nail however, is the focus on defense. These basketball scores are not good for competing in the playoffs. And you're right, Franklin only had one run into the Elite Eight back in 2005. However, in those years Franklin was handily securing playoff berths. So pardon me if a return to playoff security is desired.

PedroPicapedra
Okay, that's a fair point, although it sounds like there might be a rock in your shoe. The one aspect of the old days that I will defend tooth and nail however, is the focus on defense. These basketball scores are not good for competing in the playoffs. And you're right, Franklin only had one run into the Elite Eight back in 2005. However, in those years Franklin was handily securing playoff berths. So pardon me if a return to playoff security is desired.

Nope no rock in my shoe just checked.

Focus on defense? Pedro you are talking about years ago. Yes Franklin had a good defense against El Paso teams but those days will never return as the game has changed. It's not old school nonsense anymore. The game today is not for old schoolers I was going to say old farts but I know how El Pasoans are so easily offended. Anyways the game today is s not for old schoolers with out of date schemes, though processes and old philosophies. The game is different today. But I understand if you are a old schooler you think music, tv shows, football, were better in your time. Everyone always thinks their era during their youth, teen years, early 20's were the best. Think whatever you like as I say whatever makes you feel good.

Franklin handily securing playoff berths? Ofcourse Franklin was handily securing playoff berths they did not have any real competition. It was automatic before the season even started that Franklin and Montwood were going to be the 2 teams playing for the district title and both were going to the playoffs.

Times have changed. The game has not weakened but it has strengthened. Lots more talent with lots of speed is present now in EL Paso and throughout than ever before. The influx FTBliss is not that big but it has happened and the talent is spread out throughout especially in east El Paso. It's one of the reasons that Franklin and even Coronado struggles now against esat El Paso teams.

Franklin hasn't really gotten worse but east El Paso teams have gotten better hence why in the all star game the east team always wins.

You're correct, the game today is about speed and spreading it out, even run schemes are more zone based. However, I don't mean to bash on the spread, or the defenses aimed at defending it altogether. What I mean to say is maybe a bit more aimed at people who saw the culture at Franklin pre-Walker, it was a different feel altogether. Now Franklin and Coronado have always had to compete against East side schools. Now don't go bashing on the other east side schools. The Big Red, Hanks, and Eastwood, fielded solid teams back when they were all 5A. Yeah population growth in different areas can change things some, but it hasn't always been the Franklin and SISD show. And yes, they were good for El Paso teams. However, what do you propose that Franklin might do, to turn things around from its current woes? Apart from a coaching overhaul?

Subvarsity records don't mean anything.

How did I know this was going to turn into replace walker thread. U oh guys are too much maybe the kids just aren't that good.

Lot of players living in Santa Teresa and Sunland Park that were attending Franklin are going back to Santa Teresa. That's how bad its at Franklin.

Since Yesterday
Lot of players living in Santa Teresa and Sunland Park that were attending Franklin are going back to Santa Teresa. That's how bad its at Franklin.

You wish Santa Teresa coach. Desperate for playas. Playas would rather head east of El Paso than Santa Teresa.

How did I know this was going to turn into replace walker thread. U oh guys are too much maybe the kids just aren't that good.
It all starts in City League play, then Middle School. If a certain group of kids win in Middle school then they will have a good sound core of student athletes in high school. If not, sorry there Franklin Dad but the kids are not talented enough to win. All high schools go through it at some point. Plain and simple, Athletic gifted Student athletes make High School Coaches look good.

Rudy
Since Yesterday

You wish Santa Teresa coach. Desperate for playas. Playas would rather head east of El Paso than Santa Teresa.
gotta love a guy that types ethnically to try and cover his identity.

The only players from franklin that went to Santa Teresa were bench warmers and couldent get playing time. One was like 500lbs.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m