EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
El Paso Coaching Changes

Any word on potential coaching changes for the 2018-2019 school year? Rumors?

Re: El Paso Coaching Changes

No idea but if I had to guess id say socorro might be looking for a new coach, maybe even riverside, and believe it or not DV could even be in the mix not because Coach P isnt good for other reasons. Idk of any other ?

Hearing Socorros decision is looming within the next month

Instead of focusing on the negative side of coaching I'm going to turn this thread around and discuss the positive coaching that I saw this year in our District.

Chapin- good team and well coached. looked like the coaches coached to the players strength. Not try an be something they are not.

Eastwood- I respect Coach Lopez and even though he's lost talent he still puts a good team out there. I know people will disagree with me but I know his job isn't easy without talent.

Canuts- Brooks always has a disciplined team. tough and hard nose. Lost lots of kids but he's building them back up. No doubt all those young kids he played will come back with a vengance next year. He'll reap what he sowed this year. You can't always have great talent.

Parkland- to me jury is still out whether its The new Coach or the program he inherited. I'll have to wait til next year but I wasn't overly impressed. I think this program is on the decline. I just pray to God the idiot coaches don't wear out Hankins. He might be better off sitting a few games next year.

Riverside- no talent and still competes. I know people dog this coach but he does a great job with what he has to work with. Disciplined. Unfortunately, I dont know if there is potential talent at that school.

Eastlake- no comments needed, loaded with talent, will be interesting to see how they compete when they move up to where they should be. I think they will become average.

Hanks- this game was tougher than I expected score does not justify the game . Hanks will be a tough out in the next few years. Very good coaching. I don't know how long Price will be around but the difference from one year to another in effort was noticeable. Watch out...

Del Valle- No comment needed Coach P inherited and built on a strong program.

Horizon- Another team on the rise baby, they were tougher than in past years. I was surprised in the size, speed and football knowledge. much improved. I expect these guys to shock some teams next year. They gave us a small scare. The coaching staff looked very engaged and had the kids playing above their heads. that says alot about them. They will also be a tough out next year.

Ysleta- very disappointed, if I was expecting one team to be better it was the indians. I don't know if it was the coaching or the lack of talent. sad to see so few players on their sideline. Numbers aren't on their side. I wish they had more of a pool.

BA- We still have work to do but I am very pleased with the results our kids have put forth. They work hard and have very good football knowledge. Our season still has alot left in it. I know we will keep competing. I am grateful to have Coach C and his staff. They work hard with our boys and have them prepared week in and week out. Keep up the great work coach! We have a great class coming up and size to boot. Excited about the BA future!!!

Would love to hear others opinions about the coaching in the area, with more of a focus on the positive than bashing the negative.

No negativity intended. Unfortunately it comes with the profession. The coaching carousel will happen... I just wanted to get the discussion started.

Big Red
Instead of focusing on the negative side of coaching I'm going to turn this thread around and discuss the positive coaching that I saw this year in our District.

Chapin- good team and well coached. looked like the coaches coached to the players strength. Not try an be something they are not.

Eastwood- I respect Coach Lopez and even though he's lost talent he still puts a good team out there. I know people will disagree with me but I know his job isn't easy without talent.

Canuts- Brooks always has a disciplined team. tough and hard nose. Lost lots of kids but he's building them back up. No doubt all those young kids he played will come back with a vengance next year. He'll reap what he sowed this year. You can't always have great talent.

Parkland- to me jury is still out whether its The new Coach or the program he inherited. I'll have to wait til next year but I wasn't overly impressed. I think this program is on the decline. I just pray to God the idiot coaches don't wear out Hankins. He might be better off sitting a few games next year.

Riverside- no talent and still competes. I know people dog this coach but he does a great job with what he has to work with. Disciplined. Unfortunately, I dont know if there is potential talent at that school.

Eastlake- no comments needed, loaded with talent, will be interesting to see how they compete when they move up to where they should be. I think they will become average.

Hanks- this game was tougher than I expected score does not justify the game . Hanks will be a tough out in the next few years. Very good coaching. I don't know how long Price will be around but the difference from one year to another in effort was noticeable. Watch out...

Del Valle- No comment needed Coach P inherited and built on a strong program.

Horizon- Another team on the rise baby, they were tougher than in past years. I was surprised in the size, speed and football knowledge. much improved. I expect these guys to shock some teams next year. They gave us a small scare. The coaching staff looked very engaged and had the kids playing above their heads. that says alot about them. They will also be a tough out next year.

Ysleta- very disappointed, if I was expecting one team to be better it was the indians. I don't know if it was the coaching or the lack of talent. sad to see so few players on their sideline. Numbers aren't on their side. I wish they had more of a pool.

BA- We still have work to do but I am very pleased with the results our kids have put forth. They work hard and have very good football knowledge. Our season still has alot left in it. I know we will keep competing. I am grateful to have Coach C and his staff. They work hard with our boys and have them prepared week in and week out. Keep up the great work coach! We have a great class coming up and size to boot. Excited about the BA future!!!

Would love to hear others opinions about the coaching in the area, with more of a focus on the positive than bashing the negative.

Eastwood is loaded with talent. No excuses. He's a good position coach. I don't have faith in him as a head coach. He was outcoached to many games.

At which position. He claimed to have best qb in the state and only 4 wins. When he said that there is no way he could have believed tha. heck that kid might have been #5 here in town

BIG RED,

So much for your positive feedback...Sounds like you were a little bitter towards Parkland? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t Parkland have a better regular season record this year than last? And, aren’t they same Coaches from last year except for Kirkland? And if their coaches are such idiots why did they beat Bel Air?

Here are my non-biased positive observations:

2-5A: Regular Season Observations

1.) Del Valle - I agree Del Valle continues to have one of the BEST programs in El Paso. Coach Perales and his staff do a great job. This year I think Del Valle’s Defense was outstanding! While the Offense was Good Enough. Next year DV will still be one of the best teams in the city.

2.) Eastlake - I agree Eastlake has proven to be a good Program year in and year out. Coach Calderon’s Offense once again carried the team, while the Defense played just good enough to secure wins. Next year the Eagles will find a way to make the playoffs in 6A.

3.) Parkland - I don’t agree with you about Parkland. I think they are a much better team than they were last year. Offensively they spread the ball around more this year and Defensively they have some guys that can hit. Coach Frontz will Make the Matadors even better next year.

4.) Bel Air - Bel Air was the best 3 loss team in the city. They were tough, strong, and scrappy against everyone they played. Offensively they were explosive and at times there Defense was very good. I think Coach Cervantes did a good job and will have success next year.

5.) Canutillo - The Eagles faced a lot of Key injuries early in the season. There Offense was limited by the QB they had. While their Defense played young kids. Look for Coach Brooks to have the Eagles back on track next year.

6.) Hanks - I agree the knights were better this year and if they didn’t lose their QB they might have made things very interesting. Coach Price did bring some optimism to the program but Hanks still lacks numbers in the football program. Next year will be another tough one for the Knights.

7.) Horizon - I agree they were much improved from last year and became a better team week after week. Congratulations to Coach Melendez for showing the Scorpions how to fight. Next year look for the Scorpions to improve some more.

8.) Riverside - I agree that their problem is not Coaching. No matter who the Coach is at Riverside they will continue to struggle in 5A. If they drop down they might be able to compete at the 4A level. Scrappy team but offensive scheme did not help against the bigger schools in 2-5A. Tough times still ahead for Riverside.

9.) Ysleta - The Indians are just not the same anymore. Coach Martinez has his work cut out for him. They still have some athletes but continue to loose many of them to Del Valle every year, making it harder to compete. Next year will be just as tough for the Indians.

Feel Free to disagree!

EP FOOTBALL FAN
BIG RED,

So much for your positive feedback...Sounds like you were a little bitter towards Parkland? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t Parkland have a better regular season record this year than last? And, aren’t they same Coaches from last year except for Kirkland? And if their coaches are such idiots why did they beat Bel Air?

1.) Del Valle - I agree Del Valle continues to have one of the BEST programs in El Paso. Coach Perales and his staff do a great job. This year I think Del Valle’s Defense was outstanding! While the Offense was Good Enough. Next year DV will still be one of the best teams in the city.

2.) Eastlake - I agree Eastlake has proven to be a good Program year in and year out. Coach Calderon’s Offense once again carried the team, while the Defense played just good enough to secure wins. Next year the Eagles will find a way to make the playoffs in 6A.

3.) Parkland - I don’t agree with you about Parkland. I think they are a much better team than they were last year. Offensively they spread the ball around more this year and Defensively they have some guys that can hit. Coach Frontz will Make the Matadors even better next year.

4.) Bel Air - Bel Air was the best 3 loss team in the city. They were tough, strong, and scrappy against everyone they played. Offensively they were explosive and at times there Defense was very good. I think Coach Cervantes did a good job and will have success next year.

5.) Canutillo - The Eagles faced a lot of Key injuries early in the season. There Offense was limited by the QB they had. While their Defense played young kids. Look for Coach Brooks to have the Eagles back on track next year.

6.) Hanks - I agree the knights were better this year and if they didn’t lose their QB they might have made things very interesting. Coach Price did bring some optimism to the program but Hanks still lacks numbers in the football program. Next year will be another tough one for the Knights.

7.) Horizon - I agree they were much improved from last year and became a better team week after week. Congratulations to Coach Melendez for showing the Scorpions how to fight. Next year look for the Scorpions to improve some more.

8.) Riverside - I agree that their problem is not Coaching. No matter who the Coach is at Riverside they will continue to struggle in 5A. If they drop down they might be able to compete at the 4A level. Scrappy team but offensive scheme did not help against the bigger schools in 2-5A. Tough times still ahead for Riverside.

9.) Ysleta - The Indians are just not the same anymore. Coach Martinez has his work cut out for him. They still have some athletes but continue to loose many of them to Del Valle every year, making it harder to compete. Next year will be just as tough for the Indians.

Feel Free to disagree!

BTW Eastlake's the Falcons not the Eagles. Just thought you should know

EP FOOTBALL FAN
BIG RED,

Feel Free to disagree!

Touche, somehow my thoughts weren't appropriately expressed in writing. No hate what so ever towards Parkland Coaches. Like I said, the jury is still out with me. having Frontz who failed miserably at Riverside and Jones who did the same at Hanks there now I am holding off judgement for another year. My comment on coaches being idiots was in reference toward post wearing Hankins out. If they do, then they are idiots... But I agree with you. more balanced attack.

Thanks for the good analysis. Only things I would like to point out are your #2 team, Eastlake. They are the Falcons and not the Eagles and they most likely will go 5A Division I and not 6A. But I am sure we all know that

BIG RED,

Loud and clear! I understand what you mean. And I’m sorry Eastlake fans, I meant to write Falcons not Eagles.

Eastlake Eagles,

Sorry didn’t mean to put Eagles. Your right they are the Falcons. And we will see where they will be next year, 6A or 5A.

I hope Eastlake moves up to 6A. Praying to all my chuco saints!

How many games do you think Hankins should have set out? They didn't play him much in last month to recuperate. He sat out two games and only played one half vs. Riverside.

exranger43
believe it or not DV could even be in the mix not because Coach P isnt good for other reasons. Idk of any other ?

I haven't heard this rumor.. care to explain?

Coach Poblano deserves to be Headcoach somewhere in El Paso. No way Chapin will give him the opportunity now, even though he deserves it now. Good luck Coach Poblano!

FALCONFAN
I seriously doubt coach Cal wants that, that would mean he'd have to really coach instead of riding his athletes coat tails. Supposedly Eastlake went back and adjusted their enrollment from 2195 to 2155, just under the 6A borderline.

RamNation
FALCONFAN
I seriously doubt coach Cal wants that, that would mean he'd have to really coach instead of riding his athletes coat tails. Supposedly Eastlake went back and adjusted their enrollment from 2195 to 2155, just under the 6A borderline.

He's scared of the big boys, just wants that easy competition. Doesn't surprise me, they've been doing that for a while. And still can't win district...

Chuco Town
RamNation
FALCONFAN

He's scared of the big boys, just wants that easy competition. Doesn't surprise me, they've been doing that for a while. And still can't win district...

Calderon is an opportunist. Just like he left Riverside when the future looked bleek there, he will do the same at Eastlake and guess what the immediate future looks bleek at Eastlake. My opinion he leaves Eastlake real soon. Short on talent for the next few years.....

Chuco Town
RamNation
FALCONFAN

Havnt they won district several times

No they have not. It's either del valle, or canutillo.

I made a mistake. Hankins didn't play for 3 games, and they usually pulled him out by the 4th quarter.

Eastlake was District co-champs in 2013 and outright District champs in 2014 and 2015. Last year they finished third and this year second.

Eastlake will certainly lose A LOT of talent this year. However they are returning a decent QB that is currently their backup plus a very promising RB that is only a freshmen this year. With their 6'2" junior wideout they should be okay on offense. The defense will be okay and with their JV doing okay.....Eastlake should be OKAY next year and most likely will compete with Eldo and Bel Air for the fourth playoff spot after Eastwood, DV, and Chapin in their new district. But watch out after that....their freshmen team was very good and their feeder schools competed for conference championships....so the future is still bright in Falcon Land. Whether Coach Cal sticks around for this....who knows.

Eastlake Future
Eastlake will certainly lose A LOT of talent this year. However they are returning a decent QB that is currently their backup plus a very promising RB that is only a freshmen this year. With their 6'2" junior wideout they should be okay on offense. The defense will be okay and with their JV doing okay.....Eastlake should be OKAY next year and most likely will compete with Eldo and Bel Air for the fourth playoff spot after Eastwood, DV, and Chapin in their new district. But watch out after that....their freshmen team was very good and their feeder schools competed for conference championships....so the future is still bright in Falcon Land. Whether Coach Cal sticks around for this....who knows.

Milo is a Senior . He's gone after this year.

He's not talking about milo !!!!! He's talking about Adrian Donacio...

Eastlake Future
Come on now, height doesn’t neccessarily translate to success. The freshman rb will be great “eventually.” Every Eastlake post mentions this poor WR kid in some way and up to now has not produced much if anything at all, it’s hard for me to see it any different next year. Now the rb’s success this year in part was due to that weak strength of schedule. Not one meaningful carry vs the top notch squads. When Eastlake plays Ysleta and Riverside, the Ensor 8th grade rb would of had just as much success. Once this year’s 9th grade squad are seniors Eastlake will be 6A and they will compete, but they aren’t neccessarily going to dominate. Watch out though, it’s strange how you submit enrollment numbers then they speak on predictions so now all of a sudden you are under the 6A cut off again, makes you wonder. Although Eastlake did beat

Why such hatred towards Eastlake?

Last year was only the fourth graduating class for Eastlake. Up through last year Eastlake has accomplished to following:
2013 - District Championship
2014 - District, Bi-District and Area Championship
2015 - District, Bi-District and Area Championship
2016 - Bi-District Champioship
2017 - To Be Decided

That is pretty **** impressive. I am not here to brag. But give credit where credit is due. Sorry we play 5-A. Sorry we drew teams that we did in the play-offs. Some things schools can't control so don't hate.

As far as the numbers reported etc... and those of you that claim fix etc.... That is something schools don't play around with. Those numbers are turned into the state and state and federal funds go to schools dependent on the PEIMS data turned in. You don't mess with that crap. I have been involved with this at a school I once worked with and so much more goes into that than who enrolled. Yo have to track drop-outs, transfers, etc... Thus sometimes the fluctuation in numbers.

As for the one guy calling JJ an opportunist for leaving Riverside for Eastlake.......Hell, anyone in their right mind would make that move.

So in five years of graduating classes and making the play-offs in those five years, that is something to hang your hat on.

As far as what the future holds, who knows. You can't predict based upon previous successes at other levels or the size of a player or the numbers on a team. But one thing you can count on, when a school has a successful program in place, you will probably see continued success. MAybe not in the form of District Championships every year, but teams that will compete, finish above 500, and be in the play-offs every year.

Not to many schools in this town can currently say that.

Go Purple and Orange.

FalconFeather
Why such hatred towards Eastlake?

Last year was only the fourth graduating class for Eastlake. Up through last year Eastlake has accomplished to following:
2013 - District Championship
2014 - District, Bi-District and Area Championship
2015 - District, Bi-District and Area Championship
2016 - Bi-District Champioship
2017 - To Be Decided

That is pretty **** impressive. I am not here to brag. But give credit where credit is due. Sorry we play 5-A. Sorry we drew teams that we did in the play-offs. Some things schools can't control so don't hate.

As far as the numbers reported etc... and those of you that claim fix etc.... That is something schools don't play around with. Those numbers are turned into the state and state and federal funds go to schools dependent on the PEIMS data turned in. You don't mess with that crap. I have been involved with this at a school I once worked with and so much more goes into that than who enrolled. Yo have to track drop-outs, transfers, etc... Thus sometimes the fluctuation in numbers.

As for the one guy calling JJ an opportunist for leaving Riverside for Eastlake.......Hell, anyone in their right mind would make that move.

So in five years of graduating classes and making the play-offs in those five years, that is something to hang your hat on.

As far as what the future holds, who knows. You can't predict based upon previous successes at other levels or the size of a player or the numbers on a team. But one thing you can count on, when a school has a successful program in place, you will probably see continued success. MAybe not in the form of District Championships every year, but teams that will compete, finish above 500, and be in the play-offs every year.

Not to many schools in this town can currently say that.

Go Purple and Orange.

You really want to give Calderon credit for those District Titles???? Man with all the talent he has had he had better win .... Opportunist Yes! He drove the Ranger program to the ground and then bailed just like he will do here at Eastlake. After this season hell be looking.

Eastlake
Eastwood
Del Valle
El Do
Bel Air
Chapin

Eastlake will definitely have their work cut out for them, as will all teams in this district. El Do (after losing Barfield), Bel Air and Chapin will fight for the last playoff spot. While Eastlake, Eastwood and DV fight for district. If Eastlake is the real deal then they'll be able to easily compete. Unfortunately, there's no more playing Bowie for Bi-District though.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m