EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Montwood vs Arlington Hs @ Odessa

Who knows about Arlington? Do Rams move on?

Re: Montwood vs Arlington Hs @ Odessa

Eh....... Arlington matches up with them in the secondary and their defense I. Much better than mws. Mw would need to Olay much better on defense

Eh....... Arlington matches up with them in the secondary and their defense I. Much better than mws. Mw would need to Olay much better on defense
I seen film of Arlington and Montwood will have success on offense. And the defense will get key stops.

Arlington Colts wear same colors as Mobtwood green and white. This could be tricky on the eyes of the players. Hopefully Montwood wears all green tops and bottom or all white tops and bottom.

Colts wear same colors as Montwood green and white. This could be tricky on the eyes and minds of the players as it can be confusing when players are playing and running at 100mph. Hopefully Montwood wears all green tops and bottom or all white tops and bottom.

Arlington Colts wear same colors as Montwood green and white. This could be tricky on the eyes and minds of the players as it can be confusing when players are playing and running at 100mph. Hopefully Montwood wears all green tops and bottom or all white tops and bottom.

Arlington Colts wear same colors as Montwood green and white. This could be tricky on the eyes and minds of the players it can be confusing when players are playing and running at 100mph. Hopefully Montwood wears all green tops and bottom or all white tops and bottom.

RAM56
I seen film of Arlington and Montwood will have success on offense. And the defense will get key stops.
Is Montwood the Home Team? Due to their better record?

The rams could win this one they can score but can they stop the the colts by far the best offense they will face all year . If the Rams fall behind this will be tough for them . Hopefully the Dc is better prepared to call or has prepared the players better then he has all year . This colts are good

Sorry montwood fans. Colts with a blowout.

Fan
Sorry Colts fans, or fan or player of another team that is not in the playoffs, Montwood with the blowout.

Here we go again with the negative comments. You probably haven't seen one game Arlington has played and already have Montwood loosing. I strongly believe Montwoods taking this one. I have seen film on Arlington not just highlights.

Eastsider
Fan
Sorry Colts fans, or fan or player of another team that is not in the playoffs, Montwood with the blowout.
I'm a EPT fan and montwood will get blown out. District 1-6a was very weak this year and so was montwood schedule. Yes they played out of town teams in the beginning but combined those teams are 3 and 18. Their defense is full of holes and if you have a decent secondary you will get to the qb. Sorry but this is the final game of your season.

Fan
Eastsider
Fan
I'm a EPT fan and montwood will get blown out. District 1-6a was very weak this year and so was montwood schedule. Yes they played out of town teams in the beginning but combined those teams are 3 and 18. Their defense is full of holes and if you have a decent secondary you will get to the qb. Sorry but this is the final game of your season.
If you actually believe 1-6A was very weak this year then you must also think that Eastwood is really really really weak because they ended up at the bottom of the 1-6A barrel and you must also think that Del Valle is a very very very weak team because Del Valle lost to 1-6A Americas.

Eastsider
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
If you actually believe 1-6A was very weak this year then you must also think that Eastwood is really really really weak because they ended up at the bottom of the 1-6A barrel and you must also think that Del Valle is a very very very weak team because Del Valle lost to 1-6A Americas.
Yes I think 6a was very weak this year. Eastwood did beat montwood and I didn't see any 5a teams. For an ElDo team, that only had one player, to be co-champions that proves my point.

Fan
Eastsider
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
I\'m a EPT fan and montwood will get blown out. District 1-6a was very weak this year and so was montwood schedule. Yes they played out of town teams in the beginning but combined those teams are 3 and 18. Their defense is full of holes and if you have a decent secondary you will get to the qb. Sorry but this is the final game of your season.
Yes I think 6a was very weak this year. Eastwood did beat montwood and I didn't see any 5a teams. For an ElDo team, that only had one player, to be co-champions that proves my point.
So then you are saying that Eastwood is very very very weak since Eastwood lost to Pebble Hills, Franklin, Coronado, and El Dorado all 1-6A teams and you are also saying that Del Valle is very very very weak since 1-6A Americas beat Del Valle.

Thanks for clearing things up on your thoughts about 1-6A.

I wish people would stop using our loss to Americas as the measuring stick for our season....it's obvious that the team that played us was not the same team that finished the season.

Monty is playing well and probably better than any previous Montwood team of this decade. I don't count the last week of the regular season which was a toss away game for them. However, the Arlington Colts, despite being third in district, are playing excellent ball and being third is deceiving since the 1st and second place teams are respectively ranked 7th and 12th in the state. The Rams must execute a great game plan with the precision and effort I saw last year from my Abilene Eagles, also likely playing better than any previous Abilene High team this decade, when they came within a minute of upsetting the eventual state champs in round three.

Fan
Eastsider
Fan
I\'m a EPT fan and montwood will get blown out. District 1-6a was very weak this year and so was montwood schedule. Yes they played out of town teams in the beginning but combined those teams are 3 and 18. Their defense is full of holes and if you have a decent secondary you will get to the qb. Sorry but this is the final game of your season.
I
I believe
I believe that
I believe that we will win

Keeping the faith in our kids. MONTWOOD will win! Keep your negativity to yourself. We want El Paso teams to go far. Unless you have seen Arlington play, you cannot say they are the better team. Go Rams!

Ram qb will be tough to control but colts win a close one

Eastsider
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
I\\'m a EPT fan and montwood will get blown out. District 1-6a was very weak this year and so was montwood schedule. Yes they played out of town teams in the beginning but combined those teams are 3 and 18. Their defense is full of holes and if you have a decent secondary you will get to the qb. Sorry but this is the final game of your season.
So then you are saying that Eastwood is very very very weak since Eastwood lost to Pebble Hills, Franklin, Coronado, and El Dorado all 1-6A teams and you are also saying that Del Valle is very very very weak since 1-6A Americas beat Del Valle.

I wish I could type slower so toot can understand. I never brought up Eastwood or Del Valid, you did. What I am saying is that montwood will lose to Arlington.

Fan
Eastsider
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
I\\\\\'m a EPT fan and montwood will get blown out. District 1-6a was very weak this year and so was montwood schedule. Yes they played out of town teams in the beginning but combined those teams are 3 and 18. Their defense is full of holes and if you have a decent secondary you will get to the qb. Sorry but this is the final game of your season.
Yes I think 6a was very weak this year. Eastwood did beat montwood and I didn\'t see any 5a teams. For an ElDo team, that only had one player, to be co-champions that proves my point.

I wish I could type slower so toot can understand. I never brought up Eastwood or Del Valid, you did. What I am saying is that montwood will lose to Arlington.
Montwood wins this game with they're offense and key stops by the defense. Arlington not a scoring machine like Montwood. 42-28

The colts just beat a 10-0 fossil ridge that had avg about 40 ppg
They have only given up over 30 one time I believe and that was to Mansfield
Don’t see any way Montwood is scoring 48
And not sure montwood has seen the speed of the rb that Arlington has but that is a long bus ride so who knows

Metro
And not sure montwood has seen the speed of the rb that Arlington has but that is a long bus ride so who knows
I've seen 5 game films of Arlington. They beat running teams but lost games to dual threat QB. We will find out next Saturday. I see the Rams winning this one.

Good luck but I think the d line of the colts gets to ur qb

RAM56
Metro
I've seen 5 game films of Arlington. They beat running teams but lost games to dual threat QB. We will find out next Saturday. I see the Rams winning this one.
I agree. We watched some film also and they have size on the line but majority are slow. They stand on the line because they are too big and slow to get up. They leave big gaps on O-line which will be to our advantage. We were worried about their 60+ point game until we seen it was against an 0-10 team. Actually, there are several teams with bad records that they beat this season. Arlington is good but not great. We absolutely have a great shot at this game. Don't count Montwood out! Go Rams

Metro
And Eastwood beat a Very good 9-0 Montwood, don't mean anything. And your point is ?

Metro
El Paso teams can compete with East Texas teams. It's only a handful of teams that win state yearly with the hand picked players, money and coaches. Everything is possible....Go Rams!!

The most important match-up may be Montwood's rush defense versus Arlington's rush offense.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football/game/2017/85933

Here's the Colts last week against the Panthers who were an undefeated District Champ and scoring 38.7 points per game while holding opponents to 19.5 points per game. Arlington will pound the rock and pass when necessary to keep the defense honest.

My prediction is that mw loses but I feel loan of all the teams they might have the best chance. But they have to start quick and jump out early.

Pretty sure I'm the only person in the media who has seen both teams in person....Arlington's strength is their defense they really have a fast and disciplined group...they contained the Fossil Ridge WR's 2 of which are D1 kids the twins at LB do a great job...

I do think Montwood can move the ball on them but Fernandez will need to take what the defense gives him and not get greedy with too much deep stuff...I also think Fernandez will need to be a running threat....Arlington isn't super dynamic on offense but they've got a few playmakers and I worry about the Montwood D

MattStepp
Pretty sure I'm the only person in the media who has seen both teams in person....Arlington's strength is their defense they really have a fast and disciplined group...they contained the Fossil Ridge WR's 2 of which are D1 kids the twins at LB do a great job...

I do think Montwood can move the ball on them but Fernandez will need to take what the defense gives him and not get greedy with too much deep stuff...I also think Fernandez will need to be a running threat....Arlington isn't super dynamic on offense but they've got a few playmakers and I worry about the Montwood D
If Montwood’s Coaches don’t put in the entire second unit. We will be alright.

Huh
MattStepp
Pretty sure I\'m the only person in the media who has seen both teams in person....Arlington\'s strength is their defense they really have a fast and disciplined group...they contained the Fossil Ridge WR\'s 2 of which are D1 kids the twins at LB do a great job...

I do think Montwood can move the ball on them but Fernandez will need to take what the defense gives him and not get greedy with too much deep stuff...I also think Fernandez will need to be a running threat....Arlington isn\'t super dynamic on offense but they\'ve got a few playmakers and I worry about the Montwood D
If Montwood’s Coaches don’t put in the entire second unit. We will be alright.
MattStepp usually comes to town during the regular season or during 7 on 7 eats our food then ditches El Paso teams during the playoffs !!!!!! :joy: :joy: :joy: But I'm sure the guy knows his football and has seen more than a game or two in his lifetime so his input is pretty legit ..... Hell he picked his own Everman team to lose this week !!!!!! with that being said I'm sure he's talking about the concern he has over Montwoods first string defense !!! Not their backups !!!!!! Never the less !!!!!! Go Montwood !!!!! And no more El Paso food recommendations for Stepp !!!!!! lol !!!!!!!!!

Hey I picked Montwood to win last week!! lol I just call em like I see em....if I think you are gonna lose I'm not gonna sugarcoat it...am I wrong sometimes?? Yes but its not that often either..

MattStepp
Hey I picked Montwood to win last week!! lol I just call em like I see em....if I think you are gonna lose I'm not gonna sugarcoat it...am I wrong sometimes?? Yes but its not that often either..
You guys want our young Defense to shut out every opponent, not going to happen with any team . We are 10-1 for a reason our Defense puts the Offense back on the field. We win as a Team. It’s impossible for any Team to have a Dominant Offense and a Dominant Defense. One side will be stronger than the other.

MattStepp

Well that just blew away my thoughts of this match-up that were based on stats,
but you've seen them both play and I've seen neither.

Prediction

Montwood 42 Arlington 38

I do believe the Rams win I believe if the LInebackers are well coached for once and read well they should stop the colts fairly easy . The key to victory is the linebackers . Rams 24 colts 17

Uncle Rico
I do believe the Rams win I believe if the LInebackers are well coached for once and read well they should stop the colts fairly easy . The key to victory is the linebackers . Rams 24 colts 17
They will, Montwood has a core of solid junior Linebacker s , #35 Ramirez leads the Rams with 120 Tackles 2nd in 1-6A. Followed by safety Hernadez with 104 Tackles 4th in 1-6A.

mike03car
MattStepp

but you've seen them both play and I've seen neither.
MaxS, you guys have saying that all season long. And the Rams have been victorious. Keep at it Rams . Do what you do, WIN.

RamsFam
mike03car
MattStepp
Pretty sure I\'m the only person in the media who has seen both teams in person....Arlington\'s strength is their defense they really have a fast and disciplined group...they contained the Fossil Ridge WR\'s 2 of which are D1 kids the twins at LB do a great job...

I do think Montwood can move the ball on them but Fernandez will need to take what the defense gives him and not get greedy with too much deep stuff...I also think Fernandez will need to be a running threat....Arlington isn\'t super dynamic on offense but they\'ve got a few playmakers and I worry about the Montwood D
but you\'ve seen them both play and I\'ve seen neither.
MaxS, you guys have saying that all season long. And the Rams have been victorious. Keep at it Rams . Do what you do, WIN.
What did Matt say that raised your ire? Me, he changed my mind on where the important matchup lies. Don't think either of us posts more than occasion here, vice all season long. We do so for the most part (at least me) because some folks in Texas like keeping in touch with all of TXHSFB, vice one's own area.

Besides the NFHS video feed, does anyone know of a internet radio feed for this game?

Koolarrow
Besides the NFHS video feed, does anyone know of a internet radio feed for this game?
I checked but even on Arlington's website they are advertising the NFHS site.

game about to start !!!!!!! Montwood will recieve ...

No Play by Play or a feed. Just can hear the band, crowd, and whistles. This sucks

Early jitters from montwood reicevers alot of dropped passes !!!! montwood punts the ball!!!

7-0 Colts

Arlington decides to go for it on 4th down from Montwoods 45 yard line and scores on 30 yard pass !!!! 7-0 arlington..

Arlington moving the ball with ease !!! up ... 14-0 1st qtr.

14-0 Colts

arlington scores again on a 80 yard run up the middle !!!! 21-0 arlington still 1st qtr.

21-0 Colts. Man terrible so far. Kids look shell shocked and unprepared.

Terrible interception inside the 5. A great drive wasted. Picking up big chunks on the ground then started passing.

Wow

80 yard drive by montwood and drives comes to an end with QB throwing interception at the 3 yard line .... arlington taking over from thier 3 or 4.

Wow !!!!!! arlington's QB runs up the middle untouched !!!! arlington 28-0 end of 1st qtr.

Come on Montwood...

Whats sad is mw was out best and Arlington who will lose by a lot in the next round making us look like we are ok ofn out league

fumble by the colts at the montwood 25 yard line montwood takes over and is driving the ball... touchdown montwood !!!!!!!!!! score now 28-7 around 7 minutes left in the second qtr.... Montwood's defense needs to start waking up !!!!!!!

Close the gap give out city hope

another score for the colts !!!!!! montwood's defense unable to contain QB !!!! score now 35-7 arlington moving the ball with too much ease...Montwood has not being able to stop the colts offense yet.. they have scored on every possesion ...with exception of the fumble by the colts.

Montwood Defense holds and arlington punts for the first time in the game and goes into halftime leading 35-7 ...

Montwood 7
Arlington 35

Halftime.

this one might just start getting ugly !!!!!!!!! arlington scores on the first play of the second half .... 50 yard run to the outside .... score now 42-7

What is going on? Is the gap in talent still that far apart. Is our coaching that bad? Why can EP teams compete better.

Arlington fumbles at their own 15 yard montwood recovers !!!!!!! Touchdown montwood !!!! score now 42-14

Arlington goes for it on 4th and 4 and scores !!!!!! from montwoods 40 yard line score now 49-14

talent gap is significant

wow!!!!! time to put a fork in it !!!!!!!! Montwood goes for it on 4th and 1 from there own 40 and pass is incomplete !!!!! arlington scores on next play with pass to wide open reciever.... score now 56-14 3rd qtr.

Kind of hoping for Arlington to start resting some starters. This is getting bad really quick.

Touchdown montwood start of the 4th looks like arlington already started to sub some players defensivley.... Score now 56-21

Touch Down Rams !!!!!! the subs are definitely in defensively for arlington .... score now 56-28

Hey Matt, you said the Colts were not dynamic in offense. Imagine if they were....wow.

Touch Down colts score now 63-28

Touch Down Rams !!! score now 63-34

after having two other touchdowns called back on penalities the colts score again !!!!!! 70-34 and that's the game folks !!!!!

My bad!!!!! Rams score again had game time wrong !!!!!!! 70-42 less than a minute left in game...

70 spot in the playoffs huh smh

Wow colts score again !!!!!! score now 77-42 and that's a wrap !!!!!!

77 points, MattStepp. Dynamic offense or Montwood defense had a really bad day.

That's kind of classless. Makes you wonder if mw did something to **** off the colts.

I think they're sending a message, for whatever reason.

What message is that. Unless the game came out jawing what message could they be sending

The only message they are sending is that there is still a lot of work to do in EP when it comes to football. Montwood, congrats on your season and lets keep supporting Parkland.

What message is that. Unless the game came out jawing what message could they be sending
Probably that they aren't as good as them

Proud of our Rams! Had an off game and hate that it ended this way. Thanks to our seniors for great memories and our juniors and rising sophmores will have some big shoes to fill. I am confident we will be back here in the playoffs next season. Go Rams! Have a safe trip home!

Beast
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
Eastsider
Fan
I\\\\\\\\\\\'m a EPT fan and montwood will get blown out. District 1-6a was very weak this year and so was montwood schedule. Yes they played out of town teams in the beginning but combined those teams are 3 and 18. Their defense is full of holes and if you have a decent secondary you will get to the qb. Sorry but this is the final game of your season.
Yes I think 6a was very weak this year. Eastwood did beat montwood and I didn\\\'t see any 5a teams. For an ElDo team, that only had one player, to be co-champions that proves my point.

Montwood wins this game with they're offense and key stops by the defense. Arlington not a scoring machine like Montwood. 42-28
Like I said beast.

Running up the score much! Classless act by Arlington!! And I'm not even from EP.

Whats sad is mw was out best and Arlington who will lose by a lot in the next round making us look like we are ok ofn out league
Good comment. Yes, this is the worst part. No offense to Arlington, but they arent a state title contender. Imagine a game vs the Allen, DeSoto type teams. Permian lost by 30 and look what they did to Coronado!

kd15
Probably that they aren\\\'t as good as them
It’s not that complicated, it has nothing to do with class. Their 2nd string wanted to score. Kudos to Montwood for staying in the game till the end. El Paso is proud of what they accomplished this season.

KarlosY
Good comment. Yes, this is the worst part. No offense to Arlington, but they arent a state title contender. Imagine a game vs the Allen, DeSoto type teams. Permian lost by 30 and look what they did to Coronado!
No one has said the colts would win a state title
Not sure why the butt hurt
As was said mostly twos were in and y’all onside kicked every time giving a short field
The qb and #4 were really good players tonite
Good luck next year

Arlington isn't a dynamic offensive team....as I said going Montwood's D was a concern....Arlington wasn't running it up..Montwood couldn't stop simple runs..

Wow...this is a big concern. In my opinion, Montwood was the best coming out of EP this year. If the best team gets shredded this bad, (77 points) the talent gap is significant like you said and EP needs to do something, but what????

Stop making so many high schools the talent is to spread out in El Paso, until then this will be the same story every year.....

Not going to happen. I graduated 20 years ago. In those 20 years, 6 new high schools have been build. An average of 1 high school every 3.3 years. The way the eastside and horizon are growing dont be surprise for another high school to be build in both the eastside and in horizon sooner than later.....

Metro
KarlosY
As was said mostly twos were in and y’all onside kicked every time giving a short field
Good luck next year
Dude Montwood defense couldn’t do anything to stop the Colts. I think Colts punted only once. If your defense cannot stop them at all, you HAVE to onside kick it. It didn’t matter where on the field Arlington was, they always broke off a 40+ yard run. The only chance they had to win with that defense was to onside kick it every time

Shut up.........

I don’t know what the coach was thinking when they onside kicked every time. Especially coming out of the 2nd half. And why go for it on every fourth down. Punt the ball. That’s what ticked off Arlington.

See that’s what I thought about many on this board
Never want to really converse with any non ep people
I never have said anything bad about ep football and yet u get an attitude
Must suck to be u I guess but good luck to the rams next season

Curious
I don’t know what the coach was thinking when they onside kicked every time. Especially coming out of the 2nd half. And why go for it on every fourth down. Punt the ball. That’s what ticked off Arlington.
Don’t think AHS coaches were ****** and trying to run up the score
We were much like y’all this season where we put in our backups and the game got much closer than it should have
Every time we thought we were putting y’all away you would come back and score
Last td mostly were backups I believe

How about running the ball? That’s one way a team scores 70 points. Montwood didn’t get going on offense until the subs rolled in. Defense needs more speed

Not going to happen. I graduated 20 years ago. In those 20 years, 6 new high schools have been build. An average of 1 high school every 3.3 years. The way the eastside and horizon are growing dont be surprise for another high school to be build in both the eastside and in horizon sooner than later.....
You graduated? With grammar like yours, you should take a remedial class. :joy:

El Paso Education System.....:joy:

They never put in they're subs you must of not been at the game. But they did put up way to many points. The game was out of reach when our offense finally got going. This team is JR heavy so we'll see how they do next year.

Defense was awful saw the game through internet and defense never made an adjustment that helped out. They blitz’s them selfs out of position without reason. They say defense wins championships it is true ,they need to change scheme not relay on talent and a crappy scheme.

Uncle Rico
Defense was awful saw the game through internet and defense never made an adjustment that helped out. They blitz’s them selfs out of position without reason. They say defense wins championships it is true ,they need to change scheme not relay on talent and a crappy scheme.
No excuses here...Arlington played very well. That defense was stingy and was not giving up anything. Montwood had an awesome year and I tip my hat off to you all.

*****Instead of bashing and pointing fingers at who's to blame for our local team's losses, we should be supporting and encourage our remaining teams. *****

Let's go Parkland!!!get you some. :facepunch:

Great season Rams! Keep your heads up. Be proud.

Bi District Champions!!!!

Pick 6
kd15
Probably that they aren\\\\\\\'t as good as them
It’s not that complicated, it has nothing to do with class. Their 2nd string wanted to score. Kudos to Montwood for staying in the game till the end. El Paso is proud of what they accomplished this season.
Ironic, since Arlington now moves on to face SouthLake Carrol whom must beat DeSoto in round 2.

Metro
KarlosY
Good luck next year
Correct. Can't expect backups to not play hard when they have a chance to play.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m