EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Andress vs Monterey

How does this one go down for you guys? Monterey runs, runs, and runs some more. That’s Andress’ strength though, run defense.

I like for Andress to win a thriller, but who knows? Thoughts? Predictions?

Re: Andress vs Monterey

NeBattle
How does this one go down for you guys? Monterey runs, runs, and runs some more. That’s Andress’ strength though, run defense.

I like for Andress to win a thriller, but who knows? Thoughts? Predictions?
If Andress players keep their composure by not getting mad and not losing faith if they happen to be down 14 or 21 at the half and remain focused they have the talent to pull out the win.

Andress coaches and players did not get off the bus for this game.

Looks like the run defense is only good for district 1-5A.

BeastofNE
Andress coaches and players did not get off the bus for this game.
You’re right!

Almost 400 rushing yards against them. It’s obvious. The run defense isn’t their strong point :(

Defense couldn't stop anyone and the offense couldn't move the ball. Andress looks great in district 1-5A, but it's a different animal once they are confronted with a good team. They fell to Pebble Hills, Coronado, struggled against Bel Air, and now Lubbock Monterey. Both sides of the ball need a change, as well as the mentality. They have the talent to compete, but they need that leadership and direction and that starts at the top. It's hard to be successful when they are told they lost before the game even starts. Hopefully these changes are addressed in the off-season. Alowing 50+ points is not going to help you be successful. Defense needs to re-evaluate what they are doing.

When facing something greater than ur self you mind starts playing tricks on you. Now you all say defense got whooped with all this teams that lost. But did you look at that schemes. Were they sound? Yes Andress was sound but when tide 11 kids lined up against Monterey 11 they just couldn’t match up period. Andress coaches were yelling at their kids cuz they were in position to make the plays but didn’t. Well that’s because Andress kid that’s 5’8” tried to tackle the kid from Monterey that was 5’10” but was rocked up from head to toe and just could not get him on the ground. It wasn’t coaching it was just one kid being a tad better than the other kid. Teams from outside of the EPT are better than us not cuz of coaching talent nutrition or money but a combination of all of it. In the last 10-15 eloaso has made some strides of getting better. But everyone on this site that talks crap was the same dad’s that when they played didn’t stand a chance. Well now our kids stand a chance get behind them and wish for the best. But if you boy is out there please make sure he doesn’t miss a summer workout cuz y’all got to go to see grandma or something it all about work ethic which seems to be lacking in El Paso. Stop blaming people and start helping it to be better.

Curious
Defense couldn't stop anyone and the offense couldn't move the ball. Andress looks great in district 1-5A, but it's a different animal once they are confronted with a good team. They fell to Pebble Hills, Coronado, struggled against Bel Air, and now Lubbock Monterey. Both sides of the ball need a change, as well as the mentality. They have the talent to compete, but they need that leadership and direction and that starts at the top. It's hard to be successful when they are told they lost before the game even starts. Hopefully these changes are addressed in the off-season. Alowing 50+ points is not going to help you be successful. Defense needs to re-evaluate what they are doing.
Very well said and totally agree.

Come on man
When facing something greater than ur self you mind starts playing tricks on you. Now you all say defense got whooped with all this teams that lost. But did you look at that schemes. Were they sound? Yes Andress was sound but when tide 11 kids lined up against Monterey 11 they just couldn’t match up period. Andress coaches were yelling at their kids cuz they were in position to make the plays but didn’t. Well that’s because Andress kid that’s 5’8” tried to tackle the kid from Monterey that was 5’10” but was rocked up from head to toe and just could not get him on the ground. It wasn’t coaching it was just one kid being a tad better than the other kid. Teams from outside of the EPT are better than us not cuz of coaching talent nutrition or money but a combination of all of it. In the last 10-15 eloaso has made some strides of getting better. But everyone on this site that talks crap was the same dad’s that when they played didn’t stand a chance. Well now our kids stand a chance get behind them and wish for the best. But if you boy is out there please make sure he doesn’t miss a summer workout cuz y’all got to go to see grandma or something it all about work ethic which seems to be lacking in El Paso. Stop blaming people and start helping it to be better.
So what you are saying is that two inches made the difference in this game? If that is the cases, then it definitely is the coaches fault.

Coaches also help control the kids mindset, so if a kid feels like they are over matched, that is the Coaches fault.

Andress Coaching staff needs to reevaluate and self-reflect and start changing the mindset now.

Not saying size made the difference. I'm saying that my son said he played his best as he did the previous games but Friday he just didn't make some plays he had been. The difference to him was that Monterey was just something he hadn't played against before. But he now feels like if he gets stronger things will be different. That same size kid in elpaso was a lot easier to tackle. But it was an eye opener for him which already has him thinking above it working out and gettting stronger to him that will be the difference if they can make it that far next. That's all I was saying.

Come on man
Not saying size made the difference. I'm saying that my son said he played his best as he did the previous games but Friday he just didn't make some plays he had been. The difference to him was that Monterey was just something he hadn't played against before. But he now feels like if he gets stronger things will be different. That same size kid in elpaso was a lot easier to tackle. But it was an eye opener for him which already has him thinking above it working out and gettting stronger to him that will be the difference if they can make it that far next. That's all I was saying.
Your Son had a great way to look at it. I’m certain he will be successful.

He should maybe start helping the other kids to start thinking like him. If they all did, they would be able to compete with out of town teams.

Great job raising a Son who looks at this as a learning experience.

Please tell him to keep pushing himself and others to do better. All it takes is for one person to lead the team, and it doesn’t have to be the Coaches. He can do it!

Come on man
Well said

The district Andress played in 1-5A was weak weak weak. Andress was 9-2 and they lost badly to a 7-4 out of town Lubbock Monterey team.

Weak districts are also a problem with El Paso football teams in the playoffs losing early to out of town teams with not so good records.

Coming out of the regular season Andress just was not prepared and ready for the playoffs. For crying out loud they almost lost to Bel Air a mid to bottom of the barrel team in 2-5a.

The Lubbock/Abilene district is very good. They swept all their bid-district games last year and this year too.

Montery may have 4 losses but they were to Lubbock Coronado, the district champ and a couple to 6a schools (Odessa, Midland Lee). They also lost to 4a power Abilene Wylie.

Bel Air was not bottom of the barrel in 2-5a. They were clearly the 4th best team in that district and would have been top 2-3 in 1-5a.

KarlosY
The Lubbock/Abilene district is very good. They swept all their bid-district games last year and this year too.

Montery may have 4 losses but they were to Lubbock Coronado, the district champ and a couple to 6a schools (Odessa, Midland Lee). They also lost to 4a power Abilene Wylie.

Bel Air was not bottom of the barrel in 2-5a. They were clearly the 4th best team in that district and would have been top 2-3 in 1-5a.
Traditionally, Abilene Wylie is a 4A D1 power, but this year they got knocked out in the first round by Decatur, who also won their second round match and will face Wichita Falls Hirschi this weekend. I saw WFH Huskies against Lubbock Estecado (sp) on Friday. Very sound and versatile, getting better on offense and defense as the game progressed. I like their chances against Decatur.

The remaining 5A teams from Lubbock and Abilene whom will play a DFW team in round three are all going into it as big underdogs. The final EP 5A team still standing is also facing a DFW team whom will be favorited but not as much so.

Come on man
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you on the whole size comment. It's been shown at different levels that just because someone is taller or bigger, does not mean they are better. You said that the Monterey players were just a tad better, but the score indicated that they were much better. Which I don't believe. They may have been in better shape, had better fundamentals, and been in better schemes, but they were not so much more talented than Andress. I do agree that the mind will mess with a kid if they believe they are out matched. That goes hand in hand with what I said about them being beat before kickoff. And that has to do with leadership. And as far as the dad comment, I am not a father of any high school players. When I played it was the same story as today, but I see how far El Paso has come. I see how talented these kids are compared to when I played and that is why I would like to see them succeed. I feel it is their fault just as it is the coaches. I feel it is our fault as a community. Kids need to be willing to work if they want to succeed. Coaches need to be attending clinics to broaden their knowledge and skill. Communities need to be supporting teams every chance we get. But there needs to come a time when the coaches re-evaluate what they are doing. No team in El Paso has had success with the 3-4 defense. It does not stop the run and it is not that much better than a 4-3, 4-2-5, or 4-4 when it comes to the pass rush. In the NFL yes it is better for a pass rush, but you need to look at the type of players that are running it. Also, it's not just the defense. The offense had their share of problems too, but I am a defensive guy so I always expect more out of the defense. The players, coaches, and communities need to change this off-season, but just looking at this last game, I think it's safe to say the schemes on both sides of the ball need to be looked at again. So what I propose is starting now we as a community encourage our players, congratulate our coaches for the success they did have, and support our team when the opportunity presents itself. If the players have a fundraiser we should be there. Kids that are not in another sport should be in the weight room and on the track today. Coaches should be looking at upcoming clinics and looking to see which holes need to be filled for next year. Hopefully this all leads to success next season.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m