EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Non-District opponents

Who would you like your team to face in the new non-district schedules

Re: New Non-District opponents

I believe that every EP team should at least face one power house in pre district. Whether that be a NM power house or Tx it doesn’t matter. I would love for Chapin, Eastlake, Pebble Hills, Andress, Montwood all the top teams to play a team such as Abilene cooper, palo duro, everman a team that is know for winning and has had playoff success.

Footbaaaaalll
I believe that every EP team should at least face one power house in pre district. Whether that be a NM power house or Tx it doesn’t matter. I would love for Chapin, Eastlake, Pebble Hills, Andress, Montwood all the top teams to play a team such as Abilene cooper, palo duro, everman a team that is know for winning and has had playoff success.
But how would a powerhouse playing a weaker team benefit them? One must look at it both ways.

The Abilene Coopers, Palo Duros, Evermans, and other programs also would prefer playing tougher teams than them.

Heard Eastwood has Plano scheduled. That's a big time program! Wonder if they might keep Midland Christian and/or Permian.

DesertGator91
Heard Eastwood has Plano scheduled. That's a big time program! Wonder if they might keep Midland Christian and/or Permian.
Eastwood needs to figure out how to win district and get into the playoffs because they can't seem to achieve either one. Speaking of Eastwood are they getting a whole new coaching staff?

Not from what I hear at the moment

DesertGator91
Plano hasn't bed a top notch program in 20 years. Don't try and hype eastwood up.

Most of the 6a schools all play out of town opponents. I'm sure this trend will continue.

Wouldn't it be great if some how we could have a yearly triple or double header at the Sunbowl or SAC between RGV and El PASO schools for pre district? They could name it "The Rio Grande Classic".

Koolarrow
Wouldn't it be great if some how we could have a yearly triple or double header at the Sunbowl or SAC between RGV and El PASO schools for pre district? They could name it "The Rio Grande Classic".
Districts need to set up some non district games against some Top Rated Arizona & New Mexico teams. Tucson is the same driving distance as Midland. Would be nice to face different teams.

DesertGator91
Heard Eastwood has Plano scheduled. That\'s a big time program! Wonder if they might keep Midland Christian and/or Permian.
Plano hasn't bed a top notch program in 20 years. Don't try and hype eastwood up.
Just like Pebble hyping up against Irvin.

Tru
Koolarrow
Wouldn\'t it be great if some how we could have a yearly triple or double header at the Sunbowl or SAC between RGV and El PASO schools for pre district? They could name it \"The Rio Grande Classic\".
Districts need to set up some non district games against some Top Rated Arizona & New Mexico teams. Tucson is the same driving distance as Midland. Would be nice to face different teams.
From what ive heard, coach P at Del Valle has tried to set up games with Tucson teams but hasnt had luck. Im not sure on the accuracy of that though.

I'm sure the biggest problem with all of this is the almighty dollar. I'm sure out districts don't want to pay.

DesertGator91
Heard Eastwood has Plano scheduled. That\'s a big time program! Wonder if they might keep Midland Christian and/or Permian.
Plano took Euless Trinity to overtime in this years playoffs..

Top 5A teams should try to schedule 6a teams (except Socorro). Since there will be a Division I and II split in 5a, maybe Andress can play Chapin, Eastlake or Del Valle. Andress will need tough non-district teams because their district will be even weaker if Chapin goes Div. I. Frenship had an a bad team this year so I'm not sure EP teams should schedule them again until their program improves again.

Franklin playing Copperas Cove was good, would like to see them try for San Angelo again.

6a teams to schedule should be Midland Lee and Permian. The Rio Rancho NM teams are very good too.

Our 6as already play those teams along with frenship Midland high Midland Christian

Our 6as already play those teams along with frenship Midland high Midland Christian
They have played them in the past and they should continue playing them. Let's see who they schedule in the future.

What would be nice is for two areas that get destroyed in playoffs to play against each other El Paso vs Rio Grande Valley teams. Although this is a logistical nightmare it can be done and would be nice to see.

If this goes through "Big statement being Made by Del Valle " Playing Aledo is one big bold move that's needed and worth watching !!!! Way to step up OFOD !!!!!

Del Valle tenatively slated to play Las Cruces Mayfield, Canutillo, Aledo, Americas in non-district football games next season.

The powers above have granted my wish and we will get Montwood traveling down to South Texas to play back to back area champs 32-6A Los Fresnos to kick off the season! This will pit two great programs who always get eliminated by the powerhouses in the later rounds in the playoffs. For those that do no recall Los Fresno's Coach Brown has ties to El Paso having coached Andress after Coach S and he also was an assistant at Franklin and Chapin.

We'll be moving to the Corpus Christi from EP, what high schools are solid educational/athletic schools?

Napo
We'll be moving to the Corpus Christi from EP, what high schools are solid educational/athletic schools?
It depends what side of town or zip code you'll be moving to.

Calallen and CC Veterans Memorial

Hard for me to support all this out of town travel when talking with a basketball coach whose teamed advanced to the play-offs and went out of town and the district would not even fund the coaches meals. If things are going to be like this, no teams should be going out of town in any sport. Why should FB always get preference?

In which district did this allegedly happen?

logicfan
Hard for me to support all this out of town travel when talking with a basketball coach whose teamed advanced to the play-offs and went out of town and the district would not even fund the coaches meals. If things are going to be like this, no teams should be going out of town in any sport. Why should FB always get preference?
Well there you have it. Call the superintendents and give them a piece of your mind

logicfan
FB gets the preference because their income is greater than basketball. Basically it makes more money.

Basketball has no pull, just the way it is. Too bad.

I know plenty of basktball teams as well as other teams that teavelnout of town multiple times a year for tournaments so I think this is a lie.....oh and those travels are funded by football revenue

logicfan
Regarding Montwood traveling to Los Fresnos; Los Fresnos is covering hotel stay for two nights at the island with all meals payed.

I know plenty of basktball teams as well as other teams that teavelnout of town multiple times a year for tournaments so I think this is a lie.....oh and those travels are funded by football revenue
I agree, they all have so many allotted out of town tourneys and get meal money as do all sports. However, it is true that this one district did not allow money for the assistants and the head coach paid himself during a play-off run. I have no reason to make this up. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Now does football generate more money that other sports, of course, but it also generates the most expenses. So lets not get too carried away on some of the other responses that fb pays the way for others. THIS is not the NCAA guys. Sure we get the usual big crowds during the year. But on way way to many occasions of a Friday night, many stadiums do not draw that many fans. By the time you throw all the money in the bucket on a Friday night for each district to count up, one could not say that it "carries the load for all other sports". District security, District police, EPPD, transportation, game workers, electricity, referees, are all considered on game night.

So a good showing by Franklin vs Coronado is great on that Friday, but lets host a game at Jeff, Irvin, Austin, Burges, and EPHS on that Friday and I can guarantee you that the bottom line on the Friday for EPISD after all costs will not be carrying other sports.

Pebble Hills official football twitter page reached out to Frenship today in a tweet requesting to play at Lubbock of week 2 next year. Word is they have San Angelo scheduled also. Now will the criticism of them not playing out of town teams finally stop?

SPARTA
Pebble Hills official football twitter page reached out to Frenship today in a tweet requesting to play at Lubbock of week 2 next year. Word is they have San Angelo scheduled also. Now will the criticism of them not playing out of town teams finally stop?
You lost all your Senior stack glory. You could not beat Montwood and El Dorado. Good luck trying to rebuild.

East
SPARTA
You lost all your Senior stack glory. You could not beat Montwood and El Dorado. Good luck trying to rebuild.
I'm sorry we smashed your team this past year. And i'll apologize in advance for smashing them again next year.

SPARTA
East
SPARTA
I'm sorry we smashed your team this past year. And i'll apologize in advance for smashing them again next year.
After Montwood smashed you and El Do gave you a reality check, you didn't even win anymore.

schedules twitted by matt stepp

El Paso Del Valle
tentative non-district schedule Week 1 Las Cruces, NM Mayfield, Week 2 Tucson, AZ Sal Pointe, Week 3 Aledo, Week 4 Canutillo, Week 5 El Paso Hanks

El Paso Eastlake
tentative non-district schedule Week 1 Canutillo, Week 2 El Paso Montwood, Week 3 El Paso Burges, Week 4 El Paso Coronado, Week 5 El Paso Pebble Hills

El Paso Parkland
tentative non-district schedule Week 1 El Paso Burges, Week 2 El Paso Austin, Week 3 El Paso Jefferson, Week 4 El Paso Chapin, Week 5 El Paso Socorro

El Paso Eastwood
tentative non-district schedule Week 1 El Paso Americas, Week 2 Plano, Week 3 Clint Horizon, Week 4 Midland Lee, Week 5 El Paso Montwood

El Paso Americas
tentative non-district schedule Week 1 El Paso Eastwood, Week 2 Midland Christian, Week 3 Onate, NM, Week 4 Amarillo Tascosa Week 5 El Paso El Dorado

That's a tough slate for DV

EP Fan 11
That's a tough slate for DV
I like some of the games Eastwood has lined up!

Would really like to see who the west side teams are looking to play. Franklin has played some interesting teams the last few years. Would also like to know if Canutillo scheduled either Franklin or Coronado.

KarlosY
EP Fan 11
That\'s a tough slate for DV

Would really like to see who the west side teams are looking to play. Franklin has played some interesting teams the last few years. Would also like to know if Canutillo scheduled either Franklin or Coronado.
El Paso Franklin’s
tentative schedule - week 1 Rio Rancho (NM) Cleveland, week 2 Odessa Permian, week 3 Midland, week 4 EP El Dorado, week 5 EP Chapin

Thanks! Looks like a good slate.

yes, canutillo is playing coronado.

Spartan non-district matchups:
San Angelo
Midland High
El Dorado
Chapin
Eastlake

We are gonna play Coronado again for the 3rd year straight we haven’t lost to them and we always scrimmage franklin every year

Ysleta's non district schedule is weak. They should be undefeated heading into their district games.

Spartandad
San Angelo
Midland High
El Dorado
Chapin
Eastlake
You wont be undefeated going into District play this year.

Huh
Spartandad
San Angelo
Midland High
El Dorado
Chapin
Eastlake
I'd predict 3-2 for the Spartans going into district. Losses from S.A. Central and either Eastlake or Midland, but not both.

Kingsrealm
KarlosY
EP Fan 11
That\\\'s a tough slate for DV

El Paso Franklin’s
tentative schedule - week 1 Rio Rancho (NM) Cleveland, week 2 Odessa Permian, week 3 Midland, week 4 EP El Dorado, week 5 EP Chapin
I'll predict Franklin going into district 4-1 with their loss coming at the hands of Permian. The Cleveland game depends on who the home team is. If Cleveland, then 3-2.

DesertGator91
Plano is an over rated opponent here. They play in a district with an elite team that spanks them regularly. I would not be suprised if Eastwood wins this game.

I see Plano winning by at least 3 td s.

FCGriffins
Huh
Spartandad
San Angelo
Midland High
El Dorado
Chapin
Eastlake
I'd predict 3-2 for the Spartans going into district. Losses from S.A. Central and either Eastlake or Midland, but not both.
It was a one year wonder for PHHS. They lost all the talent but one. But they still have the media.

They had a very successful freshman and JV campaign. Kids moving up to compete at the varsity level and the main part a firm foundation. I used to hear the same thing about Montwood, El Dorado, Franklin etc when a group of seniors departed. Again there is a solid foundation that has been established and a plethora of kids hungry to keep getting better. Don't sleep on these kids.

I was about to say essentially the same thing. I believe that they are doing a good job developing that talent over there. A solid group of youngsters will keep them in playoff contention ging into this season.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m