EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7 vs 7

"Many are worried that high school football is developing an AAU-type basketball culture, with private coaches potentially influencing players to transfer. About 75 high school coaches have signed a letter expressing those concerns to athletic directors and principals.

There are some programs out there that are investing a lot of time in the 7-on-7 outside of the football season, and school year, under the guise of trying to develop players and private coaching"

Was reading an article on high school football, and this is happening in Cali and Oregon. My questions, Is this happening in El Paso and Texas? Can we do anything about it or is it just the norm?

Just trying to get a debate going not accusing anyone....lol

Re: 7 vs 7

What I have noticed about 7 on 7 is that teams are much more inclined and coaches prefer to get together with a group of schools or another school and throw the ball around. Once, it was a highly competitive environment is now becoming more of a practice environment. Sure the State qualifiers are still happening. But fewer El Paso teams are trying to win 7 on 7 games.

A few years back, people would brag about 7 on 7 accomplishments. Now if you go to a 7 on 7 get together you'll see lots of players getting in and running. It really is developing players.

I think the rest of the country outside of Texas hasn't been involved in 7 on 7 as long and are turning it into a profit making tournament sport. I think its being done right in this area.

7on7 is evolving in the metro areas to more select teams...they are everywhere in Dallas and Houston....the school based teams are still popular...Lake Travis won the Division I 7on7 State Title last year and they are playing for a state title this week...Graham won the Division II state title and they lost in the semifinals last week

MattStepp
7on7 is evolving in the metro areas to more select teams...they are everywhere in Dallas and Houston....the school based teams are still popular...Lake Travis won the Division I 7on7 State Title last year and they are playing for a state title this week...Graham won the Division II state title and they lost in the semifinals last week
MStepp Lake Travis and Graham 7on7 activities has absolutely nothing to do with their success during the actual regular season and playoff season with pads on.

Lightning has to strike somewhere so when thousands of high school football teams partake in 7on7 ofcourse 1 to 3 teams out of the thousands will go deep in the playoffs.

MStepp if you're going to defend 7on7 go right ahead but also mention the many thousands of high school football teams that partake in 7on7 events and do not even make it into the playoffs. Mention all those teams.

What drives me nuts is the attention that the local media pays to 7-7. It is great to get extra work in, no doubt. But in the end the game is 11-11. You can not predict success simply by doing well in 7-7. In EP I don't see an AAU type atmosphere created by this nor transferring.

There is a proven correlation between success in 7on7 and success in the fall over many years now.....Edgar you are assuming causation, I am only pointing out there is a correlation.

MattStepp
There is a proven correlation between success in 7on7 and success in the fall over many years now.....Edgar you are assuming causation, I am only pointing out there is a correlation.
There is more failure than success.

All you focus on are the teams that do well in the Texas State Playoffs then connect to how they did in 7on7.

Why don't you mention the many teams that participated in 7on7 and either A. did not make it to the Texas State Playoffs or B. did not do well in the Texas State Playoffs.

The list of all 7on7 teams that made it to College Station last summer. Please provide information on all 7on7 teams that did not make it into the Texas State Playoffs and those teams that were eliminated immediately in the Texas State Playoffs that same year.

DIVISION 1

Pool A

Clear Brook

Coppell

Lake Travis

McAllen Rowe

Pool B

Katy Cinco Ranch

Haslet Eaton

Georgetown

Lufkin

Pool C

Fort Worth All Saints

Round Rock Cedar Ridge

Corsicana

Cypress Ranch

Pool D

Del Valle

Mercedes

Montgomery

Mansfield Timberview

Pool E

Hutto

Arlington Lamar

Manvel

San Antonio O’Connor

Pool F

El Paso Eastlake

Katy

Plano

Mesquite Poteet

Pool G

Abilene Cooper

Plano Prestonwood

Houston St Pius

Beaumont West Brook

Pool H

San Angelo Central

Houston Lamar

Marshall

Dallas Wilson

Pool I

Lubbock Coronado

DeSoto

Longview

Pearland

Pool J

Abilene

Dickinson

Mission Pioneer

The Colony

Pool K

Georgetown East View

Lewisville Hebron

Klein

West Mesquite

Pool L

El Paso Coronado

Richmond Foster

Laredo United

Frisco Wakeland

Pool M

College Station

Cypress Fairbanks

Waxahachie

Weslaco

Pool N

Birdville

Cedar Park

Cypress Creek

Jacksonville

Pool O

Arlington

The Woodlands

Round Rock Westwood

Whitehouse

Pool P

College Station A&M Consolidated

Fort Bend Bush

Edinburg North

Lovejoy

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

DIVISION 2

Pool A

Alpine

Anna

Fairfield

Pleasanton

Pool B

El Campo

Hidalgo

Pecos

Texarkana Pleasant Grove

Pool C

Midlothian Heritage

Somerset

Springtown

Wimberley

Pool D

Boerne

Bonham

Shepherd

Wellington

Pool E

Freeport Brazosport

Carthage

Gatesville

Levelland

Pool F

Dublin

Liberty

Rockdale

San Augustine

Pool G

China Spring

Gilmer

Hardin-Jefferson

Sonora

Pool H

Argyle

Hitchcock

Sweetwater

West

Pool I

Bay City

Deweyville

Lubbock Estacado

Giddings

Pool J

Brock

Graham

Mexia

Sweeny

Pool K

Cameron Yoe

Celina

Needville

Abilene Wylie

Pool L

Kaufman

Mineral Wells

Rio Hondo

Stafford

Pool M

Canton

Cuero

Glen Rose

Lexington

Pool N

Brownwood

Goliad

Lorena

Palestine

Pool O

Andrews

Crandall

East Bernard

Salado

Pool P

Falls City

Melissa

Navasota

Stephenville

Here are the facts:
In all levels of Texas High School Football about 55% of the teams who play make the playoffs in UIL, TAPPS, SPC etc
53 of the 64 teams who made the Div. I State 7on7 Tournament qualified for the playoffs; roughly 83%
Approx. 27.5% of all the teams who play TXHSFB win a playoff game
36 of the 64 teams who made the Div. I State 7on7 Tournament won a playoff game 56.2%
20 of the 64 teams who made the Div. I State 7on7 Tournament won two playoff games 31.2%

Here is your Division I breakdown...facts speak for themselves...there is a correlation

Teams who missed the playoffs: 11
Teams Who Lost in the First Round: 17
Teams Who Lost in the Second Round: 13
Teams Who Lost In the Third Round: 7
Teams Who Lost in The Fourth Round: 3
Teams Who Lost in the State Semi-Finals: 4
Teams Who Lost in the State Championship Game: 3
Teams Who Won In the State Championship Game: 3

56 of the 64 teams who made the Div. II State 7on7 Tournament qualified for the playoffs; 87.5%
42 of the 64 teams who made the Div. II State 7on7 Tournament won a playoff game 65.6%
26 of the 64 teams who made the Div. II State 7on7 Tournament won two playoff games 40.6%

Here is your Division II Breakdown

Teams Who Missed the Playoffs: 8
Teams Who Lost in 1st Round: 14
Teams Who Lost in 2nd Round: 16
Teams Who Lost in 3rd Round: 10
Teams Who Lost in 4th Round: 7
Teams Who Lost in State Semi-Finals: 5
Teams Who Lost In State Championship Game: 1
Teams Who Won a State Title: 3

More facts to chew on,

Success at the State 7on7; not just making it at the Texas 7on7 State Tournament is also a strong indicator of success in the fall..

In the fast five years there have been 80 teams who have made it at least the quarter-finals...here's how they did in the fall:

Teams Who Missed the Playoffs: 4
Teams Who Lost In the First Round: 18
Teams Who Lost In the 2nd Round: 9
Teams Who Lost In the 3rd Round: 15
Teams Who Lost In the 4th Round: 9
Teams Who Lost In the State Semi-Finals: 9
Teams Who Lost in State Championship Game: 7
Teams Who State Championships: 9

So making the quarter-finals at State 7on7 and look at how much higher rate of success are:

over 11% of the teams who make the quarter-finals win a state title in the fall..that's insane
20% of the teams who make the quarter-finals play for a state title....
over 61% of the quarter-finalists in 7on7 win at least 2 playoff games in the fall...
Only 4 of the teams who have made the quarter-finals the past five years have failed to make the playoffs...

Correlation?? I think so..

Appreciate the reasearch and numbers.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m