EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UTEP Offers

The new coaching staff at UTEP has no official commits from any of our local athletes. Have they retracted all scholarships offered by previous staff?

Re: UTEP Offers

epballer
The new coaching staff at UTEP has no official commits from any of our local athletes. Have they retracted all scholarships offered by previous staff?

That's whats I heard.

In my opinion there are no shortcuts in life and in business and the UTEP coaching staff is doing just that taking big shortcuts. The UTEP coaching staff are trying to build a winning program with pure juco players.

Try to build a house quickly and it will fall quickly for lack of a solid foundation.

Sure UTEP will win some games this coming season and the UTEP coaching staff will look like geniuses especially when UTEP went 0-12 last year but they will only look like geniuses for a short time. UTEP coaching staff are probably thinking """if we create a decent winning team maybe eventually 3 to 5 star players will choose to commit and sign with UTEP in the future wanting to be part of our program"""". I don't see that happening.

Sorry for being off topic but I just don't agree with what the current UTEP coaching staff is doing. What they are doing is only for short term success not for long term.

Mongo
In my opinion there are no shortcuts in life and in business and the UTEP coaching staff is doing just that taking big shortcuts. The UTEP coaching staff are trying to build a winning program with pure juco players.

Try to build a house quickly and it will fall quickly for lack of a solid foundation.

Sure UTEP will win some games this coming season and the UTEP coaching staff will look like geniuses especially when UTEP went 0-12 last year but they will only look like geniuses for a short time. UTEP coaching staff are probably thinking """if we create a decent winning team maybe eventually 3 to 5 star players will choose to commit and sign with UTEP in the future wanting to be part of our program"""". I don't see that happening.

Sorry for being off topic but I just don't agree with what the current UTEP coaching staff is doing. What they are doing is only for short term success not for long term.
They are NOT planning to stay, the writing is on the wall.

East
Mongo

Sure UTEP will win some games this coming season and the UTEP coaching staff will look like geniuses especially when UTEP went 0-12 last year but they will only look like geniuses for a short time. UTEP coaching staff are probably thinking \"\"\"if we create a decent winning team maybe eventually 3 to 5 star players will choose to commit and sign with UTEP in the future wanting to be part of our program\"\"\"\". I don\'t see that happening.

Sorry for being off topic but I just don\'t agree with what the current UTEP coaching staff is doing. What they are doing is only for short term success not for long term.
They are NOT planning to stay, the writing is on the wall.
I agree . I don't see them staying too long. They go .500 and look like heroes. What I don't get is them signing 5'11" Defensive Tackle. SMH

Sorry to say but EP does not have much D1 talent to recruit. I know this will upset some people, but that is just the case. Sure we had a aaron jones explode at utep and go on to the nfl. But that is not the norm. As far as UTEP recruiting, they only have 10 scholarships to offer. Why not throw in some JC proapects. Kugler had very few so it is not like the entire foundation is being built quickly with JC's.

FalconFeather
Sorry to say but EP does not have much D1 talent to recruit. I know this will upset some people, but that is just the case. Sure we had a aaron jones explode at utep and go on to the nfl. But that is not the norm. As far as UTEP recruiting, they only have 10 scholarships to offer. Why not throw in some JC proapects. Kugler had very few so it is not like the entire foundation is being built quickly with JC's.
FalconFeather who are you to say that EP or any other city in the country does not have much D1 talent to recruit? What makes you the top expert on recruiting?

What makes you the expert in knowing what a athlete can or can not become if he is offered or not offered deciding to walk on and work at making it onto a D1 roster?

There have been countless former EP high school football players who have gone on to the D1 level and have done great via a offer or as a walkon. There have also been countless former EP high school football players who have gone on to the D2 and D3 levels and have done great.

UTEP for many many many many many many years has been recruiting mostly players from outside of El Paso and where has it got them or what has it gotten them? It's not like UTEP has been winning their Conference and going to Bowl Games on a consistent basis with high school athletes from outside of El Paso in the past 30 to 40 years. Sure former UTEP head coach Kugler recruited a some former EP high school athletes a couple of times and those players did not really excel on the field at UTEP but I'm some of those players can defend themselves as to why they didn't.

I know this will upset you FalconFeather but just because Eastlake hardly has any of their football athletes receive official D1 offers or walkon to a D1 program and become a starter does not mean there is no D1 talent to recruit in EP or any other city in the country.

AHS_Eagles
FalconFeather
FalconFeather who are you to say that EP or any other city in the country does not have much D1 talent to recruit? What makes you the top expert on recruiting?

What makes you the expert in knowing what a athlete can or can not become if he is offered or not offered deciding to walk on and work at making it onto a D1 roster?

There have been countless former EP high school football players who have gone on to the D1 level and have done great via a offer or as a walkon. There have also been countless former EP high school football players who have gone on to the D2 and D3 levels and have done great.

UTEP for many many many many many many years has been recruiting mostly players from outside of El Paso and where has it got them or what has it gotten them? It's not like UTEP has been winning their Conference and going to Bowl Games on a consistent basis with high school athletes from outside of El Paso in the past 30 to 40 years. Sure former UTEP head coach Kugler recruited a some former EP high school athletes a couple of times and those players did not really excel on the field at UTEP but I'm some of those players can defend themselves as to why they didn't.

I know this will upset you FalconFeather but just because Eastlake hardly has any of their football athletes receive official D1 offers or walkon to a D1 program and become a starter does not mean there is no D1 talent to recruit in EP or any other city in the country.
I never mentioned D2 or D3. I never mentioned walk-ons. But if we want to throw walk-ons in the equation I am fine with that. Aside from UTEP, name walk-ons from El Paso that have gone on to D1 schools in FB and have earned a scholarship and produced?

As far as the lack of D1 talent I was going by the amount of kids recruited and being offered D1 scholarships. That is black and white. It does not take into account what we think who is good and not. I am not rating the talent myself. I am not a recruiting analyst.

Bottom Line? El Paso has 22 high schools and a population of 750,000.
El Paso has how many kids offered a D1 scholarship this year? lets answer how many actually sign before the signing period ends.

It is not rocket science to say that EP lacks D1 talent based upon the number of scholarships offered.

Yes we have had Billy Davis, Stansbury, Mickens, Skelton, Tony White and some others. But look at the span of years that this covers.
And yes some kids have probably walked on and made a difference at D1 school. How many earned a scholarship doing this? Take away UTEP and tell me how many walk-ons have succeeded? But once again, look at the number of walk-ons that may have accomplished this over how many years.

Numbers do not lie. I am sorry.

You are right numbers do not lie.

How many Conference Championships and Bowl Games has UTEP won with all their D1 talent recruited from outside of El Paso over the past 30 to 40 years? Please enlighten us with those numbers.

Former EP athletes who walked on to D1 programs? There have been several over the years do your own research and learn something.

ESPN/////Walk-on Torres blossoms as key Tech receiver/////ESPN
http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2037/walk-on-torres-blossoms-as-key-tech-receiver

Look my belief and argument here is that there are 4 to 6 legit local EP high school football players every year that ought to be offered and signing with a D1 program and another 3 to 5 local EP high school football players every year that if they walked on to a D1 program would make the roster, eventually earn a scholarship and contribute to the D1 program.

I will say this, if El Paso were located in the Central Texas Region or DFW MetroPlex region we would probably land a few more kids as a D1 prospect or preferred walk-on status. I do agree that our location kills our kids in getting recognized in all sports. I think we can agree on that. But I will still say that we would still be at the bottom of the barrel with the number of D1 prospects going up against those communities just as we do now. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I have nothing against the EP kid at all. It is just that in my mind we don't exhibit that type of talent (in abundance) like other areas of Texas. It's like the play-offs every year.

If as you say we have 4-6 legit D1 kids a year who should be offered, why are they not? I mentioned our isolation as one factor. Should our coaches be doing more to expose them? Does the kid need to get on with recruiting services to promote themselves? What can be done to highlight these individuals? Can we send combine results to all schools? Send video as well of drills? Just ideas.

Q. Why are 4 to 6 local EP athletes not being offered by Division 1 programs every year?
A. In my opinion EP is somewhat tarnished or rather looked down upon when it comes to high school football and its athletes by most D1 recruiters. What I mean by that is that when you have its local University in UTEP not doing so well year after year for many years and that University hardly not offering high school football players from its own backyard it sends a negative message to D1 programs throughout the country. Also when local El Paso, Texas head coaches for countless years hardly put any effort into getting a couple of their players noticed by sending out stuff to D1 programs hurts as well. Some local El Paso, Texas head coaches are doing it today but that's because twitter and hudl exist and it makes it easier for them to put some effort unlike in years past pre-twitter and pre-hudl when they only have VCR's where they put not much effort at all in sending stuff to D1 programs. Another issue is that local El Paso, Texas high school football athletes with D1 caliber skills do not have parents who have the financial means to take their kids to reputable and key camps and combines outside of El Paso. A lot plays into it in my opinion but I think UTEP and their lack of support towards the local EP kids over the past 30 to 40 years has played a big part in this negative view on EP of not having much D1 caliber athletes.

Q. Should El Paso, Texas coaches be doing more to expose their athletes?
A. Absolutely BUT it's not in their job description to do so. If coaches do expose 1 to 3 of their players and if other players and their parents find out then the coaches will have a problem on their hands with parents as to why they are not exposing their kids and others on the team. It's a catch 22.

Q. Does the kid need to get on recruiting services to promote themselves?
A. Honestly I don't think it's necessary with the existence of twitter, hudl, and youtube. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a athlete having his face and highlights, statistics, other information, etc.. plastered on lots of recruiting webpages but in my opinion the athlete and his parents still have to do work in getting recruiters to view their profile page and if a recruiter happens to find an athlete on these recruiting sites more than likely they will be contacting his high school head coach and here is where the athlete and his parent or parents will have to cross their fingers and hope his head coach puts in a great word for him by positively talking him up. Not every high school football head coach gets along with all parents just saying.

Q. What can be done to highlight these individuals?
A. I already mentioned it. Athletes have twitter, hudl and youtube at their fingertips. They have email boxes to communicate with. If athletes have parents with lots of money to burn they can attend reputable and key camps and combines outside of El Paso and they can also hire recruiting services again that is if they have money to burn because these camps, combines and recruiting services are not a guarantee to get the athlete noticed and offered.

Q. Send combine results to colleges?
A. Why would any athlete want to do that? In my opinion first things first which is to get the attention of the college recruiter with some highlights and if the college recruiter is interested he will eventually ask for more stuff like combine results, sat or act results, more top highlights and full game footage.

Q. Send video of drills?
A. Once again what is the point of that? In my opinion first things first in getting the attention of the college recruiter with some of the athletes top best highlights and if recruiters are interested they will ask for stuff later.

FalconFeather that's my take on this. I tried to make it short as not to bore you. I have lots of opinions on all this as I'm sure you do as well as some parents and some coaches.

Opinions are a dime a dozen.

AHS_Eagles
Q. Why are 4 to 6 local EP athletes not being offered by Division 1 programs every year?
A. In my opinion EP is somewhat tarnished or rather looked down upon when it comes to high school football and its athletes by most D1 recruiters. What I mean by that is that when you have its local University in UTEP not doing so well year after year for many years and that University hardly not offering high school football players from its own backyard it sends a negative message to D1 programs throughout the country. Also when local El Paso, Texas head coaches for countless years hardly put any effort into getting a couple of their players noticed by sending out stuff to D1 programs hurts as well. Some local El Paso, Texas head coaches are doing it today but that's because twitter and hudl exist and it makes it easier for them to put some effort unlike in years past pre-twitter and pre-hudl when they only have VCR's where they put not much effort at all in sending stuff to D1 programs. Another issue is that local El Paso, Texas high school football athletes with D1 caliber skills do not have parents who have the financial means to take their kids to reputable and key camps and combines outside of El Paso. A lot plays into it in my opinion but I think UTEP and their lack of support towards the local EP kids over the past 30 to 40 years has played a big part in this negative view on EP of not having much D1 caliber athletes.

Q. Should El Paso, Texas coaches be doing more to expose their athletes?
A. Absolutely BUT it's not in their job description to do so. If coaches do expose 1 to 3 of their players and if other players and their parents find out then the coaches will have a problem on their hands with parents as to why they are not exposing their kids and others on the team. It's a catch 22.

Q. Does the kid need to get on recruiting services to promote themselves?
A. Honestly I don't think it's necessary with the existence of twitter, hudl, and youtube. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a athlete having his face and highlights, statistics, other information, etc.. plastered on lots of recruiting webpages but in my opinion the athlete and his parents still have to do work in getting recruiters to view their profile page and if a recruiter happens to find an athlete on these recruiting sites more than likely they will be contacting his high school head coach and here is where the athlete and his parent or parents will have to cross their fingers and hope his head coach puts in a great word for him by positively talking him up. Not every high school football head coach gets along with all parents just saying.

A. I already mentioned it. Athletes have twitter, hudl and youtube at their fingertips. They have email boxes to communicate with. If athletes have parents with lots of money to burn they can attend reputable and key camps and combines outside of El Paso and they can also hire recruiting services again that is if they have money to burn because these camps, combines and recruiting services are not a guarantee to get the athlete noticed and offered.

Q. Send combine results to colleges?
A. Why would any athlete want to do that? In my opinion first things first which is to get the attention of the college recruiter with some highlights and if the college recruiter is interested he will eventually ask for more stuff like combine results, sat or act results, more top highlights and full game footage.

Q. Send video of drills?
A. Once again what is the point of that? In my opinion first things first in getting the attention of the college recruiter with some of the athletes top best highlights and if recruiters are interested they will ask for stuff later.

FalconFeather that's my take on this. I tried to make it short as not to bore you. I have lots of opinions on all this as I'm sure you do as well as some parents and some coaches.

Opinions are a dime a dozen.

I grabbed this and will respond to this specifically, you saying having ,money to burn? Unless you're a million then I do not think anyone has money to burn, parents have to make that effort if they want to put there child on blast and on the radar like I've always said and been repeated to me many times "you have to spend money to make money". I for one do no have money to burn but guess what I live in the RGV where it is similar to EL Paso in regards to not being visited as much by recruiters and talent, but guess what I have my son on NCSA, he will be attending FBU camps, and I will be taking him to camps in the next month to San Antonio, Houston, Austin, and Dallas. We as parents have to put in as much if not more work than anyone to get our kids noticed, this is still a learning process for me I have 3 more boys that I will be doing this for.

Moral of the story is if you want your child to get on the radar of ANY college recruiter and you feel he has the talent then INVEST the money in his future, INSURE HIS GRADES are up to NCAA standard; believe me we all have the money there for that it is just about using it wisely and not on those tortas...

I also threw in here the grades and I will give an example:
San Benito High School had a great RB this past season numbers you only see north of San Antonio why was he not offered anything even when Rice at the minimum came to visit? He had a 2.0 GPA and needed and 1020 on his SAT all he could get was 800. I am not saying that is the problem in El Paso but parents forget that they're a student first and although you may be loaded with talent academics will get your foot in the door first.

Some great points being made here. Good job fellas

You know it's sad that there remains some high school coaches who believe that all a player has to do is keep his grades up, workout daily, eat right, remain focused, stay out of trouble, practice hard and kick butt on the football field against opponents during games and college recruiters will find them. This is false. It has a bit of truth to it but only for the 1% of players who are lucky to be noticed and offered by a Division 1 recruiter and later put on rivals.com or 247.com which will have other college recruiters find them through rivals.com and 247sports.com. Even more fortunate if that player was noticed and offered during his sophomore or junior year. These players are the exception to the rule, the 1%, the ones who were struck by lightning and hit the lottery so to speak. Aaron Jones did everything in high school that needed to be done and was he noticed and offered by several Division 1 recruiters? No he was not!!! UTEP was the only one who offered Aaron and he did well and is in the NFL. Aaron Jones was not a 1%er lucky fellow. Another is John Skelton. He did everything in high school that needed to be done and also was not noticed and offered by Division 1 recruiters. He made his own path with the help of relatives and he eventually ended up at Fordham where he shattered many records and ended up in the NFL. Skelton was not a 1%er lucky fellow. My point here is that yes majority of players must work hard in class, practice, do well at games against opponents but they must sell or expose themselves through whatever means necessary through free services like hudl, youtube, twitter, recruiting sites like NCSA and many others or paying a business to try to get him noticed, and also traveling and attending camps and also combines. It takes time and energy in addition if you want to take it further in trying to get him noticed it will take money. As with anything in life. People go to college to get a degree with hopes that degree, that piece of paper, will land them a job or career to get them paid and many of these college graduates obtain degrees but later are unable to find jobs or use that piece of paper to get them a career but if they work hard at it by willing to travel to move to another city to find a job or make a career improves their chances. Some 1%ers who obtain a college degree already have jobs and careers lined up by a family member or friend at a company they are the exception to the rule the 1%ers. All others have to put in work in making that college degree, that piece of paper, worth something after they graduate. And so to a high school football player's skills and academics he can't expect his skills and academics to only speak for him he must sell and expose himself in hopes to get noticed and offered.

Not sure if this was said or not, but if a student athlete wants to go to a D1 or D2 school he/she has to start that mindset sooner than their senior year. That is something you start working towards when you are in 7th or 8th grade. College athletics is a life style. Those coaches treat it as a business because that is what the next level is after college. I have to disagree that you have to take your child to a bunch of camps all over the state. There are D1 athletes that couldn't afford those camps when they were in high school. What gets them noticed is their play on the field their sophomore and junior season. Coaches want to see how they compare against good competition. College coaches will travel to see them play if they are interested. Anyone can run combine drills and look great, but combine drills do not always translate to the field. I will agree with the person who said grades are the most important part of recruiting. It does no good to be the #1 quarterback or linebacker in the state but you can't pass your English class. GPA's and SAT/ACT scores are what determines a scholarship or not. It determines a D1 school or Juco. Good luck to all of the players going to the next level.

Curious
Not sure if this was said or not, but if a student athlete wants to go to a D1 or D2 school he/she has to start that mindset sooner than their senior year. That is something you start working towards when you are in 7th or 8th grade. College athletics is a life style. Those coaches treat it as a business because that is what the next level is after college. I have to disagree that you have to take your child to a bunch of camps all over the state. There are D1 athletes that couldn't afford those camps when they were in high school. What gets them noticed is their play on the field their sophomore and junior season. Coaches want to see how they compare against good competition. College coaches will travel to see them play if they are interested. Anyone can run combine drills and look great, but combine drills do not always translate to the field. I will agree with the person who said grades are the most important part of recruiting. It does no good to be the #1 quarterback or linebacker in the state but you can't pass your English class. GPA's and SAT/ACT scores are what determines a scholarship or not. It determines a D1 school or Juco. Good luck to all of the players going to the next level.
And I totally agree on the GPA and SAT scores, you have to also take classes in high school that is preparing you for college.... Like you have to take AP Courses in high school, these advance classes prepare you for the SAT Test. College Coaches are looking for kids that excel on and off the field.... You have to realize these D1 or D2 colleges are investing thousands of dollars in you when they offer you, so what am saying they are very precise on how they recruit, its a business.

AHS_Eagles
UTEP for many many many many many many years has been recruiting mostly players from outside of El Paso and where has it got them or what has it gotten them? It's not like UTEP has been winning their Conference and going to Bowl Games on a consistent basis with high school athletes from outside of El Paso in the past 30 to 40 years.

I agree with this. All one has to do is also look at UTEP's basketball program such as last nights game against Western Kentucky. Karma! Karma! Karma! For more than 40 years UTEP with their out of town basketball so called Division 1 recruits has been unable to get to the National Championship or atleast remain a TOP 50 basketball team. All UTEP does is keep pounding away to everyone year after year about their 1966 championship team. For me it's what has UTEP done in the last 40 years with their practically 100% out of town recruits in both basketball and in football. I'm not saying El Paso, Texas has a abundance of Division 1 prospects what I'm saying is that don't knock on El Paso as if it does not have any Division 1 prospects at all when the fact of the matter is UTEP basketball and football has not really and truly given high school athletes from El Paso to prove it in over 40 years. 1 or 2 years under Coach Kugler who recruited El Paso athletes is not a good measuring stick to use to see if in fact there are Division 1 prospects in El Paso. El Paso, Texas high school athletes have not been given a fair shot by the UTEP athletic programs offering scholarships in over 40 years. UTEP's basketball and football programs are cursed. These programs are not able to find success long term on the basketball court and football field. The ball seems to always bounce the other way at crucial moments of the game. Funny how UTEP's basketball and football teams can go into halftime with a comfortable lead and some how find a way to lose the game in the second half. All I'm saying here is I find it sad that UTEP can't even offer 1 or 2 local athletes from their own backyard per year each in basketball and football and so I believe karma will play a role in all this. Take care of your children first and foremost as there is where success will be found on the basketball court, on the football field and with fans at the ticket window and gates.

KARMA is the universal law of CAUSE & EFFECT You reap what you sow

epballer

They have one now

TRISTIN TUIALUULUU
EL PASO, TEXAS DEL VALLE HIGH SCHOOL
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4256567/tristin-tuialuuluu
https://twitter.com/tristintuia/status/960017382025695232

OFFER
University of Texas at El Paso ****COMMITTED****

OTHER OFFERS
University of Incarnate Word
UTPB University of Texas Permian Basin
Eastern New Mexico University
New Mexico Highlands University
Cisco Junior College
La Verne University
Midwestern State University

It's not really on the coach. The biggest thing that these athletes can do to gain exposure is attend camps. Especially those satellite camps out there.

FCGriffins
It's not really on the coach. The biggest thing that these athletes can do to gain exposure is attend camps. Especially those satellite camps out there.
Way too many camps out there are scams or rather I say scamps. Parents really need to do their research before forking out the cash flo. Way too many scamps promise things to athletes such as that there will be division 1 college recruiters in attendance evaluating the scamp participants.

Good conversation on this topic.

UTEP passed on All-State Honorable Mention 5'11 WR Tyreese Andrus who finished the season ranked 19th in the Nation, 6th in Texas, and #1 in District 6A from the Class of 2018 in Receiving Yards. In favor of 6'3 WR Andrew Nwachukwu who is ranked 29th in District 6A. UTEP also offered a JUCO WR as well, probably for his size and experience. But needless to say, UTEP also passed on several good WRs from ELP High Schools including:

Cameron Hill - El Dorado
Tury Cepeda - Montwood
Ivan Avina - Eastlake (Offered by New Mexico State)
De'quan Henderson - Parkland
Zacariaous Presha - Parkland
Robert Minjarez - Eastwood
Jose Herrera - Coronado

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m