EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winners and Losers of the Realignment

Realignment day is finally here! For the next two years, some teams will be in a completely different world and some will continue as regular business. Here are some of the Winner/Losers of the new districts. Again this is all my opinion.

LOSERS:

Chapin Huskies- Up until recently, Chapin was a solid favorite to win district. Now they find themselves in a situation where they're one hiccup away from possibly not even making playoffs. While they're one of the top 5A teams, now they'll have to deal with Del Valle, Eastlake, and the two former 6A's in El Dorado and Eastwood. Chapin will continue to be successful but a year where Chapin does not make the playoffs is a possibility.

Socorro Bulldogs- Not much can be said here. Unless something miraculous happens with the talent pool or with enrollment then Socorro will continue to struggle for wins.

Riverside Rangers- Similar to Socorro, while everyone else in their district will be fighting for wins and trophies, Riverside will be scraping for district wins.

Parkland Matadors- Before everyone starts the riots, hear me out! With the new 1-5A district Parkland is a strong candidate to take the trophy. Unfortunately, after Canutillo there isn't too much more talent that will push Parkland to the edge. This could play a impact when Parkland is trying to make another playoff push. According to rumors, their non-district schedule isn't much better than their district.

WINNERS:

District 1-5A D1- 6 team district with 4 playoff spots! There's never been a better time to make the playoffs. It'll be a fight to not be one of last two in that district.

Horizon, Hanks, and Ysleta- These programs are beginning to find a roll with their new Head Coaches. Now they'll have an opportunity to establish a winning tradition with this new district. While they will be competitive, I don't see any of these three schools beating Parkland or Canutillo, leaving them to fight it out for two playoff spots. Will definitely be fun!

District 2-5A- The removal of Chapin in the district has established Andress and Burges as the new top dogs, but it's also opened the door for El Paso, Austin, Jefferson, Bowie, and Irvin to fight each year for a playoff spot.

THE FANS: Overall, this realignment has made things interesting for this upcoming football season and no one benefits more than all the wonderful fan. Time for some Texas high school football.

EP Football Insider

Re: Winners and Losers of the Realignment

Looking beyond the local districts there are some other changes to consider. 4 teams out of 6 in 5A D1 will make the playoffs, but... They will have to face the tough teams from District 2, 5A-D1 for bi-district. That includes teams such as Abilene Cooper and Lubbock Coronado.

On the other hand, Region 1 for 5A D2 looks to be fairly wide open. Parkland or Canutillo could be looking at a deep playoff run. Lubbock Cooper, Abilene Wylie and Wichita Falls Rider look to be the toughest possible opponents on the road to the state semifinals!

KarlosY
Looking beyond the local districts there are some other changes to consider. 4 teams out of 6 in 5A D1 will make the playoffs, but... They will have to face the tough teams from District 2, 5A-D1 for bi-district. That includes teams such as Abilene Cooper and Lubbock Coronado.

On the other hand, Region 1 for 5A D2 looks to be fairly wide open. Parkland or Canutillo could be looking at a deep playoff run. Lubbock Cooper, Abilene Wylie and Wichita Falls Rider look to be the toughest possible opponents on the road to the state semifinals!
Agreed. Canutillo and Parkland are set up nicely to make a deep playoff push. Now that Parkland has added Lyles (from Franklin) I thought they'd shoot for a tough non-district to get their players ready for deep playoff opponents. Don't think they went that route. They're rooting for an undefeated district championship, which is very possible. But I just hope it doesn't jeopardize them pushing as far as possible in the playoffs.

EP Football Insider

San Eli.

Steve Wonders
San Eli.
First time they make the playoffs in what, 20 years!?

will never happen

This whole realignment has made changes all over Texas we now have RGV schools scheduling teams for non district they never had before like all the Permian Basin teams, they'll (32-6A) be playing both Odessa's, Midland Lee and Amarillo on week 5 so we have Montwood making a trip to Los Fresnos and then Los Fresnos will make the trip out to Permian Basin. My son's school will be playing Amarillo Tascosa at San Angelo.

EP to Brownsville
This whole realignment has made changes all over Texas we now have RGV schools scheduling teams for non district they never had before like all the Permian Basin teams, they\'ll (32-6A) be playing both Odessa\'s, Midland Lee and Amarillo on week 5 so we have Montwood making a trip to Los Fresnos and then Los Fresnos will make the trip out to Permian Basin. My son\'s school will be playing Amarillo Tascosa at San Angelo.
The Montwood game vs Los Fresnos was announced before realignment though. I saw that they had said Montwood was going down to the RGV but yesterday someone Mentioned it was going to be in San Antonio. Also, Tascosa to Brownsville, it isn't midpoint at San Angelo. It is somewhere near Junction. Texas. San Antonio is much closer to Brownsville while San Angelo is much closer to Amarillo.

Canutillo Eagles are definately winners!! The road to state has never been easier.

I agree on everything except for the Montwood game it'll be in Los Fresnos they're staying at the Island at the Pearl Hotel and Resort.

EP to Brownsville
I agree on everything except for the Montwood game it'll be in Los Fresnos they're staying at the Island at the Pearl Hotel and Resort.
Why u hating !

EP to Brownsville
If you say so.

Ram
EP to Brownsville
I agree on everything except for the Montwood game it\'ll be in Los Fresnos they\'re staying at the Island at the Pearl Hotel and Resort.
Why u hating !
I ain't hating for one bit I actually support that I live down here in the valley and was pushing with the coaches and boosters for them to schedule a team from EP heck I even brought it up to Coach P from DV. It'll be a blast watching old friends from EP come down here to the valley and enjoy some time at the island so again no hate here.

KarlosY
EP to Brownsville
I agree on everything except for the Montwood game it\'ll be in Los Fresnos they\'re staying at the Island at the Pearl Hotel and Resort.
If you say so.
Again I say so because I am down here in the Valley and just for your sake here is Los Fresnos Schedule and you can also confirm on the schools facebook page where the game will be.

2018-2020 Falcon Football Schedule
Week 1 VS El Paso Montwood at Los Fresnos
Week 2 VS Austin LBJ at Austin
Week 3 VS Edcouch Elsa at Edcouch
Week 4 VS Edinburg Vela at Los Fresnos
Week 5 VS Odessa Permian at Odessa
Week 6 BYE
Week 7 VS Harlingen South at Harlingen
Week 8 VS Brownsville Rivera at Los Fresnos
Week 9 VS Harlingen at Harlingen
Week 10 VS Brownsville Hanna at Los Fresnos
Week 11 VS San Benito at San Benito

I am excited for the season to begin and glad Coach Brown got some good teams scheduled especially with Odessa Permian

Canutillo will have one of the most hardest non district scheduled they have Eastlake, Del Valle, Coronado, Chapin, and Bel Air

Del valle might change tho

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m