EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who will be the best runningback in upcoming 2018 season?

Americas high school is known for running backs, I believe they will have a sleeper this year, who know one has heard of and will be the newcomer that will take the high school 6A by storm.....

Re: Who will be the best runningback in upcoming 2018 season?

ALPHAWOLF
Americas high school is known for running backs, I believe they will have a sleeper this year, who know one has heard of and will be the newcomer that will take the high school 6A by storm.....
lol

Americas is not known for running backs. Americas is known for Jack and Josh Fields. That's it nothing more nothing less.

Tell me ALPHAWOLF which Americas running back is your sleeper?

I said a couple of years ago that once the Fields graduate Americas will spiral downhill from there and last year was proof of it.

Qbert
ALPHAWOLF
lol

Americas is not known for running backs. Americas is known for Jack and Josh Fields. That's it nothing more nothing less.

I said a couple of years ago that once the Fields graduate Americas will spiral downhill from there and last year was proof of it.
Those were running backs was they? That made it to the next level, but anyway if you must know the kid am talking about is #22 who will be a sophomore this season....

Gerber

Ever heard of Deion Hankins? No need for this thread to be honest lol

Nortside-fan

You ever heard of a weak District, not taken anything from that kid, he's good am just saying imagine if he was in lets say, I don't know the new 5A Division 1 which is consider the 4th toughest District in the state of Texas cause of the new UIL Alignment, my question to you is, would we be still having this same conversation...?lol

Deion Hankins from Parkland and Gerber from Pebble Hills

ALPHAWOLF
Nortside-fan

You ever heard of a weak District, not taken anything from that kid, he's good am just saying imagine if he was in lets say, I don't know the new 5A Division 1 which is consider the 4th toughest District in the state of Texas cause of the new UIL Alignment, my question to you is, would we be still having this same conversation...?lol
Weak district? Ummmm Deion has been kicking butt in varsity since he was a Sophomore and he has been kicking but against out of town teams in the Texas state playoffs.

Deion is legit!

Hankins and Gerber.

ALPHAWOLF
Nortside-fan

Who has stated this is the 4th toughest district in the State?

FalconFeather
ALPHAWOLF
Nortside-fan

You ever heard of a weak District, not taken anything from that kid, he\'s good am just saying imagine if he was in lets say, I don\'t know the new 5A Division 1 which is consider the 4th toughest District in the state of Texas cause of the new UIL Alignment, my question to you is, would we be still having this same conversation...?lol
Go on youtube and search, (New 5A alignment) Title will say, The five toughest districts in the New 5A alignment according to Dave Campbell

#22 is a beast yeeeep in el paso... I think you know dat Mr wolf. EL PASO, you will hear about this kid you can believe that. I do think, hell no, I know he is a better Back then Hankins but wont put up Hankins numbers because of the carrys. But hey man stop playing around and bring that young man to the Boot or back East so he can know what getting banged on is all about. Yeah I know he stay active but You seen what happened to them Fields boys, they had learn how to play football all over again when they met competition.

Nortside-fan
Yes we know that, How about the best running back in 6-A ? Does Pebble have a line to open holes for Gerber ? Montwood has a returning Soph C. Ramos. He will be a key factor for the Rams running game.

Alphawolf
FalconFeather
ALPHAWOLF
Nortside-fan

You ever heard of a weak District, not taken anything from that kid, he\\\'s good am just saying imagine if he was in lets say, I don\\\'t know the new 5A Division 1 which is consider the 4th toughest District in the state of Texas cause of the new UIL Alignment, my question to you is, would we be still having this same conversation...?lol
Go on youtube and search, (New 5A alignment) Title will say, The five toughest districts in the New 5A alignment according to Dave Campbell
You're welcome

****Correction**** Since he was a freshman, he ran for 100 plus yards in his first game as a freshman. On the weak district argument, didn't Deion run for 3k as a sophomore against a "weak district" that's what hes supposed to do right? not Deion's fault Hanks, and Horizon can't stop anyone. He also ran for 167 yards against a four-star led LB and very athletic defense this fall. There is no comparison, yes the Gerber kid is talented but isn't a complete package like Hankins, Deion is the best FBS prospect EP has seen in awhile and is in a league of his own in my opinion. Deion is what a true legit FBS talent looks like.

Nortside-fan
****Correction**** Since he was a freshman, he ran for 100 plus yards in his first game as a freshman. On the weak district argument, didn't Deion run for 3k as a sophomore against a "weak district" that's what hes supposed to do right? not Deion's fault Hanks, and Horizon can't stop anyone. He also ran for 167 yards against a four-star led LB and very athletic defense this fall. There is no comparison, yes the Gerber kid is talented but isn't a complete package like Hankins, Deion is the best FBS prospect EP has seen in awhile and is in a league of his own in my opinion. Deion is what a true legit FBS talent looks like.
Sorry to butt into your conversation but yes I agree Deion is what a true legit FBS talent looks like and I hope he doesn't only look like it but plays like it this year and in his collegiate years.

I remember not to long ago a El Paso, Texas running back named Jack Fields Class of 2012 from Americas high school who also looked like a true FBS talent but he didn't go on to win the Heisman at the collegiate level nor did he go on to the NFL but he did help Boise State in many ways and also in helping them win a Bowl game. Most importantly Jack Fields did extremely well in the college classrooms at Boise St and in high school at Americas he was a beast and he tore it up.

Before going into his junior year at Americas Jack Fields already had these D1 offers.
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jack-Fields-75/RecruitInterests

Garrett Slaughter from Coronado will make some noise.

Danger
In my opinion Garrett Slaughter has some skillz but he is at the wrong school and team for his skillz.

Eastwood has a Stud Running Back who has been on Varsity since his Sophomore Year #21 Rios that kid is a Beast

Nortside-fan
Who's that

Meaning Coronado sucks?

In my opinion Caleb Gerber is the best running back next season!

It just depends on the offense this year. I think he has a lot of talent. It will be fun to watch.

Cats32
In my opinion Caleb Gerber is the best running back next season!
Pebble Hills coaches are going to ride Caleb full throttle. Interesting to see if Caleb will have any gas left going into the district games where it counts the most.

Don't forget about Nick Reyes from Socorro and Dorian Lewis from Andress. Reyes is listed as a FB and just recently got 2nd team All-state as such. Dorian is a heck of a runner also.

If were talking about the best RB in the city, then really only two names should be mentioned and that would be Hankins and Gerber. I have Hankins above Gerber but honestly I have it closer than most would I believe. Hankins has the size and that is important but Gerber has the Speed, quickness, balance and vision. I would not be surprised at all actually if Gerber rushed for more yards than Hankins next year.

EP football geek
If were talking about the best RB in the city, then really only two names should be mentioned and that would be Hankins and Gerber. I have Hankins above Gerber but honestly I have it closer than most would I believe. Hankins has the size and that is important but Gerber has the Speed, quickness, balance and vision. I would not be surprised at all actually if Gerber rushed for more yards than Hankins next year.
Don't think Gerber has a O-Line anymore.

Nick Reyes from Socorro is definetley something else

PH will have to replace 4 starters upfront. They do have Carmona returning and he a unanimous all district selection as a jr. They will rely on Fabio Novoa (6'5 240) and Sabian Sandoval (5'10 295) to hopefully give him some holes.

EP football geek
With the way the schedules look, Hankins should rush for some crazy yardage. Not a very strong non district schedule and the smaller 5-A district will allow him to put up some crazy numbers.

FalconFeather
EP football geek
With the way the schedules look, Hankins should rush for some crazy yardage. Not a very strong non district schedule and the smaller 5-A district will allow him to put up some crazy numbers.
This not so very strong non district and district schedule, will only benefit the head coach with the number of games he will win. It will not prepare this young man Hankins for the next level of tougher competition at the D1 level....

REAL TALK
This not so very strong non district and district schedule, will only benefit the head coach with the number of games he will win. It will not prepare this young man Hankins for the next level of tougher competition at the D1 level....
LOL...Aaron Jones who played at Burges high school and thousands of other players throughout the United States when they played their high school ball they played in not so tough districts and they managed just fine at the college level and many even went on to the NFL.

Do your research and see the countless players who played in not so tough high school districts and went on to do well at the collegiate level. Also do your research and see the countless players who played in not so tough college conferences and went on to do well in the NFL.

Elite high school football players playing in not so tough districts does not have any affect on them whatsoever. Elite players will do just fine but a team as a whole playing in a not so tough district does have an effect in the high school football playoffs against tougher competition out of town that is all.

College teams that have offered Deion Hankins
OKLAHOMA STATE coaches are not idiots they know football and they know if a player has what it takes for the next level.
UTAH coaches are not idiots they know football and they know if a player has what it takes for the next level.
TEXAS TECH coaches are not idiots they know football and they know if a player has what it takes for the next level.
SAN DIEGO STATE coaches are not idiots they know football and they know if a player has what it takes for the next level.
SMU coaches are not idiots they know football and they know if a player has what it takes for the next level.

Sleepers for 6A will be Taj Crenshaw & Tate Jernigan from Franklin

pops
Montwood C. Ramos will put up some impressive rushing stats. O-Line is strong and quick.

City
pops
Montwood C. Ramos will put up some impressive rushing stats. O-Line is strong and quick.
Another great running back the Rams have that will probably see some Varsity playing time next year is sophomore Ian Oaxaca. He was very productive at the JV level as a freshman and if Montwood can figure out how to utilize him and Ramos correctly, that could be a dangerous combination.

Cats32
City
pops
Another great running back the Rams have that will probably see some Varsity playing time next year is sophomore Ian Oaxaca. He was very productive at the JV level as a freshman and if Montwood can figure out how to utilize him and Ramos correctly, that could be a dangerous combination.
They are carrying on the tradition (not Rams lol)

Qbert
ALPHAWOLF
lol

In the time between the Fields kids, they had Isaac Washington and the Hinijos kid who was pretty good.

FCGriffins
Qbert
ALPHAWOLF
lol

Americas is not known for running backs. Americas is known for Jack and Josh Fields. That\'s it nothing more nothing less.

In the time between the Fields kids, they had Isaac Washington and the Hinijos kid who was pretty good.
Most every high school football team in previous years have had good to great running backs to remember. If you're only focused in your team, that your son plays for or played for, or focused in your little circle, or as some call it tunnel vision, well that is all you will see in that circle or your bias line of sight.

What I'm saying is that yes Americas is known for running backs but so to also Andress Eagles, Anthony Wildcats, Austin Panthers, Bel Air Highlanders, Burges Mustangs, Bowie Bears, Canutillo Eagles, Cathedral Fighting Irish, Chapin Huskies, Clint Lions, Coronado Thunderbirds, Del Valle Conquistadores, Eastlake Falcons, Eastwood Troopers, El Dorado Aztecs, El Paso High Tigers, Fabens Wildcats, Franklin Cougars, Hanks Knights, Horizon Scorpions, Irvin Rockets, Jefferson Silver foxes, Montwood Rams, Mountian View Lobos, Parkland Matadors, Pebble Hills Spartans, Riverside Rangers, San Elizario Eagles, Socorro Bulldogs, and Ysleta Indians.

If older people frequent this forum more like people who remember El Paso, TX HS football in the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's you will see them mentioning many good to great running backs from the school they graduated from and other running backs from the El Paso area that they remember or read on the paper.

What everyone should remember is that internet message boards, blogs, youtube, twitter, facebook, hudl, rivals, max preps, etc... was not around in the 1970's, 1980's and early 1990's so good to great running backs were known by only a few. Today you can post highlights or pictures of a running back in a forum, blog, youtube, twitter, facebook, hudl rivals, max preps, etc... and get to know his name by access his profile and highlights so easily. It's a different world today but this new world by far does not necessarily mean that El Paso running backs these last 7 to 10 years are way better or have been better than El Paso running backs from the the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's.

Athletes, parents, coaches, teams, schools, districts, sport fanatics are fortunate to have the resources they have today.

Edgar
Danger
In my opinion Garrett Slaughter has some skillz but he is at the wrong school and team for his skillz.
Explain yourself.

....As in the playcalling or offense did not suit his running style maybe?

Very interesting that El Paso Times just announced their All-city teams and Caleb Gerber & Dorian Lewis got first team RB while Hankins and Zubiate got 2nd team.

Eastside
Very interesting that El Paso Times just announced their All-city teams and Caleb Gerber & Dorian Lewis got first team RB while Hankins and Zubiate got 2nd team.
Eastside do you think for one second that all city naming stuff by the local newspaper matters to elite DI and DII players like Hankins and Zubiate?

Hankins has DI offers for crying out loud he is way above that high school all city naming stuff by the local newspaper. And Zubiate already signed with the University of Texas of the Permian Basin you think he is looking back rather than forward? I'm pretty sure Zubiate doesn't care about the local newspaper naming of high school players. Zubiate like Hankins is above all that stuff at this point.

Juco
Eastside
Eastside do you think for one second that all city naming stuff by the local newspaper matters to elite DI and DII players like Hankins and Zubiate?

Hankins has DI offers for crying out loud he is way above that high school all city naming stuff by the local newspaper. And Zubiate already signed with the University of Texas of the Permian Basin you think he is looking back rather than forward? I'm pretty sure Zubiate doesn't care about the local newspaper naming of high school players. Zubiate like Hankins is above all that stuff at this point.
I personally do not see anything wrong with these selections when it comes to all-city. These choices were made on your play on the field and D1 offers or commitments have nothing to do with selection obviously. Not that head to head match-ups determine choice either but I am sure it can definitely influence voters. Gerber had a great game as Pebble handled Chapin. How can we forget the highlight of Lewis running over the Chapin defender in the Andress vs Chapin game. Hankins unfortunately missed some games due to injury so I would think this in some way affected voters as well.

Juco
Eastside

Hankins has DI offers for crying out loud he is way above that high school all city naming stuff by the local newspaper. And Zubiate already signed with the University of Texas of the Permian Basin you think he is looking back rather than forward? I\'m pretty sure Zubiate doesn\'t care about the local newspaper naming of high school players. Zubiate like Hankins is above all that stuff at this point.
I said that it was interesting Juco...that's it. I cannot speak intelligently on how much it matters to these kids and honestly don't really care. I just find it interesting that the "best RB in the city" did not make 1st team all-city honors. I'm thinking Curious is correct in that maybe him missing some games played into it. Thought it was worth a conversation....

Eastside
Juco
Eastside

Hankins has DI offers for crying out loud he is way above that high school all city naming stuff by the local newspaper. And Zubiate already signed with the University of Texas of the Permian Basin you think he is looking back rather than forward? I\\\'m pretty sure Zubiate doesn\\\'t care about the local newspaper naming of high school players. Zubiate like Hankins is above all that stuff at this point.
I said that it was interesting Juco...that's it. I cannot speak intelligently on how much it matters to these kids and honestly don't really care. I just find it interesting that the "best RB in the city" did not make 1st team all-city honors. I'm thinking Curious is correct in that maybe him missing some games played into it. Thought it was worth a conversation....
This overall question leaves out many variables. OL, QB, receiving core, defense, and of course play calling. Also one back may better suit a system better than they would a different system. That does not make them a better back than others. For example a power downhill back may not flourish as much in a spread offense with more RPO type plays. D1 offers does not mean one back is better than the others just that his numbers caught the attention of scouts and coaches. That's not taking away from what they see on film as well. No doubt having a playmaker and game breaker does make the rest of the team look good. Most of the backs named I'd take in a heartbeat to feature and build a system around for while they were playing in school.

Eastside
Juco
Eastside

Hankins has DI offers for crying out loud he is way above that high school all city naming stuff by the local newspaper. And Zubiate already signed with the University of Texas of the Permian Basin you think he is looking back rather than forward? I\\\'m pretty sure Zubiate doesn\\\'t care about the local newspaper naming of high school players. Zubiate like Hankins is above all that stuff at this point.
It's all in the Politics of High School Football. The All City Teams selections, All Districts selections are selected by favoritism.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m