EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CBS4: The Secret To Getting An Athletic Scholarship

The secret to getting an athletic scholarship according to CBS4 and their research.

http://cbs4local.com/sports/scoring-with-scouts

Re: CBS4: The Secret To Getting An Athletic Scholarship

I disagree practically with most of it.

I do agree though that there are other things that go into this recruiting stuff but I don't know if I would call it a secret but something along those lines will do just fine.

Those who think all you have to do is work hard day in and day out and play lights out on the football field and do well in class and a scholarship will manifest out of thin air is only fooling himself. There are thousands upon thousands of athletes that work hard and have the grades but do not receive Division 1 offers or if they did they received offers from a Division 2 or Division 3 program with financial paperwork filled out and most all the monies coming from the gov. not the college and other monies coming out of their own parents pockets.

Sad but true many a times hard work does not pay off for countless athletes. I know of many athletes who were great football players and they had the attributes and the grades but never received offers and some that received offers but were from Division 2 and Division 3 programs where they still had to shell out some of their own cash or got it from loans or government assistance.

Game or highlight film footage where ever you upload it on hudl, youtube, or wherever usually does not do the trick. Right now you can go to hudl, youtube or wherever and look up athletes throughout the country and see all the great athletes out there and you will see that many did not receive a single offer and many others that do not have offers from anyone. Many great athletes today with the grades will graduate without a single offer and those that do receive an offer was an offer to a lower tier college program where some athletes obviously just doesn't belong per their skills but these athletes had no choice but to accept the offer as it was the only one on the table and usually with these athletes they will hope to someday be noticed at this lower tier program by a division 1 program and transfer in the future.

Look there is more to this recruiting stuff or as some like to call it the "recruiting game".

Before CBS4 ran this stuff on recruiting they should have asked these important questions first. Noone likes to talk about these questions but it must be talked about before getting into the simple basics of the recruiting stuff.

1. How many high school football athletes have fathers, uncles or brothers, or friends of the family who are college coaches? Certainly these high school football athletes have an advantage over other high school football athletes somewhat, right?

2. How many high school football athletes have coaches at their high school who happens to know some coaches at a college football program? Certainly these athletes have an advantage over other high school football athletes somewhat, right?

3. How many high school football athletes have a parent that is a celebrity? Certainly high school football athletes with a parent who is a celebrity has an advantage over other high school football athletes somewhat, right?

4. How many high school football athletes have a parent or parents with the means or finances to send them to reputable camps and combines throughout the country in attempt to get noticed? These athletes certainly have an advantage over other high school football athletes somewhat, right?

5. How many high school football athletes have a parent or parents who supports them at home with the recruiting process? Such as those parents that have extra money laying around and able to afford and paying into recruiting sites like NCSA for the athlete. These recruiting sites aren't guarantees that the athlete will be looked at and offered but do these athletes on these pay service recruiting sites have an advantage over other high school football athletes not able to afford such a service somewhat, right? Then there might be high school football athletes who have relatives or are friends of the family who work at NCSA or other recruiting services sites certainly these athletes would have an advantage over other high school football athletes somewhat, right? And then there are parents who don't know about all this recruiting stuff at all and not every family can afford internet service or a computer. These athletes certainly are at a disadvantage to other high school football athletes somewhat, right?

6. How many high school football athletes have coaches at their high school who are willing to help them with the recruiting process or atleast give them some advice? And if the coaches are not sure they should not pretend as if they know about the recruiting process and direct the athlete to those who do know something about it. Certainly high school coaches who put in effort to help their athletes in the recruiting process these athletes are at an advantage over those athletes who have high school coaches who do nothing somewhat, right?

7. How many high school football athletes have coaches at their high school who do not get along with the athlete's parent or parents and this is important because if ever a college coach is interested in a athlete it's highly likely that the college coach will want to speak to the high school football coach about the athlete and the big question here is will the high school football coach be truthful or will he get back at the parent or parents through the athlete and hurting the athlete's future?

8. How many high school football athletes live in a big city, metroplex type of a city, where college recruiters go to often in search of prospects? Certainly these athletes have an advantage over other athletes who live in smaller cities where college coaches rarely like to search for prospects somewhat, right? This question here is a big one to ponder for El Paso athletes.

9. How many high school football quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers are of latino, hispanic, descent? Many! How many of latino, hispanic, quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers are there at the division 1 level? Not many! Certainly latino, hispanic, quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers in high school are at a disadvantage when it comes to receiving a division 1 offer or offers somewhat, right? This question here is a bigger one to ponder for El Paso athletes.

There is so much to all this recruiting stuff or recruiting game but those who wish to talk about the recruiting process should start with those questions I mentioned above. First see what an athlete is up against. Then after all that begin the simple basic talk of the recruiting process like creating highlights and uploading them to hudl along with full game footage and creating other profiles on twitter or other places. You know all the easy stuff.

I used NCSA for my son a couple of years ago which to this day I regret. He did not receive not one offer. From our own effort we made it all happen. My son received a total of five D2 offers and he and myself were able to choose the best fit for him of the five. I don't think NCSA is worth paying for. Think about it. College recruiters in search of players can easily access necessary stats on the free profiles on so many sites along with other information and college recruiters can access hudl where the players film is at. Filling out those recruit questionnaires on college team websites is free to do and emailing college coaches is free to do and college coaches can now be found easily on twitter. All this does not cost any money. It only cost Effort!!! Persistence!!! Make your LUCK!!! Don't get me wrong NCSA I'm sure works for some but for me and my son it did not. I personally see NCSA like a lottery scratchoff you pay, scratch and you either win or lose which losing on the scratchoffs is what happens most of the time.

Westsider
I used NCSA for my son a couple of years ago which to this day I regret. He did not receive not one offer. From our own effort we made it all happen. My son received a total of five D2 offers and he and myself were able to choose the best fit for him of the five. I don't think NCSA is worth paying for. Think about it. College recruiters in search of players can easily access necessary stats on the free profiles on so many sites along with other information and college recruiters can access hudl where the players film is at. Filling out those recruit questionnaires on college team websites is free to do and emailing college coaches is free to do and college coaches can now be found easily on twitter. All this does not cost any money. It only cost Effort!!! Persistence!!! Make your LUCK!!! Don't get me wrong NCSA I'm sure works for some but for me and my son it did not. I personally see NCSA like a lottery scratchoff you pay, scratch and you either win or lose which losing on the scratchoffs is what happens most of the time.
I also utilized NCSA and was not impressed. My son got more offers to play in college after the all star combine and game. What they send out is already on HUDL or parents can send (email) themselves.

Williams
The secret to getting an athletic scholarship according to CBS4 and their research.

http://cbs4local.com/sports/scoring-with-scouts

So I watched the full CBS4 piece on this and I to disagree with most of it. Don't get me wrong there is a bit of good information but there is so much more to all this. There is no real system in place or rather I say there is not a single person who can say they know the recruiting process because there is none.

Every college recruiter or college scout searches for players that they believe will be best suited for the program. For example some recruiters or scouts will see a high school quarterback's highlights and wants to offer him as a quarterback. Meanwhile other recruiters or scouts will see this same high school quarterback's highlights and wants to offer him but as a wide receiver or defensive back. This example right here is but a small tip of the iceberg so to speak of how complicating all this is and how no one can actually put a solid handle to a so called recruiting process. Noone knows how college recruiters or scouts will think or see a player or what each college coach needs for their program or what schemes they run. There is no sure grasp of it!

There are many from recruiting services, to college and high school coaches, to parents, to media pundits, to people in general who insist they know what this recruiting process is or what to do to obtain a scholarship. This CBS4 piece gives proof to what I'm saying. In the CBS4 video you have a El Paso, TX high school coach on one hand saying "I'm not in the business to make college players" then on the other hand you have another El Paso, TX high school coach saying "It should be every high school coaches job to try to get the kids as much exposure as possible". This here says it all! Noone, not recruiting services, not college and high school coaches, not parents, not media pundits, not people in general know the best or right path to get recruited by colleges and obtain college offers and that scholarship.

The recruiting process is a hit and miss sort of thing. Like inserting coins in a slot machine. Some will hit and a multitude will miss. There is no sure way or guaranteed process at winning at the slot machines but there are many who think they know how to win on the slot machines and many will insist they know and have a guaranteed secret winning system. Some will even try to place coins in many different slots machines as to increase their odds of hitting the jackpot well so to are parents in taking their kids to a lot of camps and combines and opening lots of profiles on different websites with hopes to get noticed by college recruiters. Will this improve their chances? Well lets just say that lightning has to strike somewhere meaning it will work for some athletes and it will not work for a multitude of athletes.

That kid in the CBS4 video who said paid $3,000 and it worked out for him as he received a couple of offers well there are a multitude of other kids I'm absolutely positive that also paid $3,000 and possibly more and did not receive not one single offer. Most that did not receive offers after having paid $3,000 or more would have had possibly a better chance at taking those $3,000 and played them on a slot machine with hopes to hit the jackpot or atleast enough to pay for 4 years of college tuition, board, meals, etc... and walked onto the team in attempt to make the roster.

As Juco said it's a recruiting game. If you play this game you may win or you may lose. There are some that spend lots of money and time and they win and there are others that don't win after having spent lots of money and time. Then there are others that don't spend hardly any money at all and win like the elite prospects who are ranked by stars on rivals and 247sports. These athletes are the lucky ones the exception to the rule or as some within this forum have said the 1% the ones like those people who never have played a slot machine in their lives and in one moment happen to walk by a slot machine at an airport insert a coin for the very first time in their lives and hit the jackpot. The 1%.

The recruiting process if there is actually any is all a game so how will you play this game?

Good luck!

Wowzers!!! Great insight and information my friends!!! :+1:

HOUNDS 93
Westsider
I used NCSA for my son a couple of years ago which to this day I regret. He did not receive not one offer. From our own effort we made it all happen. My son received a total of five D2 offers and he and myself were able to choose the best fit for him of the five. I don\'t think NCSA is worth paying for. Think about it. College recruiters in search of players can easily access necessary stats on the free profiles on so many sites along with other information and college recruiters can access hudl where the players film is at. Filling out those recruit questionnaires on college team websites is free to do and emailing college coaches is free to do and college coaches can now be found easily on twitter. All this does not cost any money. It only cost Effort!!! Persistence!!! Make your LUCK!!! Don\'t get me wrong NCSA I\'m sure works for some but for me and my son it did not. I personally see NCSA like a lottery scratchoff you pay, scratch and you either win or lose which losing on the scratchoffs is what happens most of the time.
I also utilized NCSA and was not impressed. My son got more offers to play in college after the all star combine and game. What they send out is already on HUDL or parents can send (email) themselves.
Welp I wish I would've known this Coach S. I signed up my son for NCSA beginning of this past season, unlike El Paso we do not have a combine at the end of the season or year down here in the RGV. Also as in EP down here in the valley recruiters do not come often unless there is a few athletes of interest they much rather wait until playoff time in which the valley hits that wall so it is hard to get noticed. Hopefully it pays off in the end for our son and this will be a lesson learned as I have 3 more boys following him so I will know what to do and not do.

EP to Brownsville
HOUNDS 93
Westsider
I used NCSA for my son a couple of years ago which to this day I regret. He did not receive not one offer. From our own effort we made it all happen. My son received a total of five D2 offers and he and myself were able to choose the best fit for him of the five. I don\\\'t think NCSA is worth paying for. Think about it. College recruiters in search of players can easily access necessary stats on the free profiles on so many sites along with other information and college recruiters can access hudl where the players film is at. Filling out those recruit questionnaires on college team websites is free to do and emailing college coaches is free to do and college coaches can now be found easily on twitter. All this does not cost any money. It only cost Effort!!! Persistence!!! Make your LUCK!!! Don\\\'t get me wrong NCSA I\\\'m sure works for some but for me and my son it did not. I personally see NCSA like a lottery scratchoff you pay, scratch and you either win or lose which losing on the scratchoffs is what happens most of the time.
Welp I wish I would've known this Coach S. I signed up my son for NCSA beginning of this past season, unlike El Paso we do not have a combine at the end of the season or year down here in the RGV. Also as in EP down here in the valley recruiters do not come often unless there is a few athletes of interest they much rather wait until playoff time in which the valley hits that wall so it is hard to get noticed. Hopefully it pays off in the end for our son and this will be a lesson learned as I have 3 more boys following him so I will know what to do and not do.

EP to Brownsville just an idea maybe instead of paying into NCSA $1,000 or upwards to $3,000 you could have used that money to travel to El Paso for the combine but I'm not sure if it's open just to anyone or simply El Paso area athletes. Maybe you should find out. I believe athletes from Las Cruces have participated in it.

Edgar
EP to Brownsville
HOUNDS 93
Westsider
I used NCSA for my son a couple of years ago which to this day I regret. He did not receive not one offer. From our own effort we made it all happen. My son received a total of five D2 offers and he and myself were able to choose the best fit for him of the five. I don\\\\\\'t think NCSA is worth paying for. Think about it. College recruiters in search of players can easily access necessary stats on the free profiles on so many sites along with other information and college recruiters can access hudl where the players film is at. Filling out those recruit questionnaires on college team websites is free to do and emailing college coaches is free to do and college coaches can now be found easily on twitter. All this does not cost any money. It only cost Effort!!! Persistence!!! Make your LUCK!!! Don\\\\\\'t get me wrong NCSA I\\\\\\'m sure works for some but for me and my son it did not. I personally see NCSA like a lottery scratchoff you pay, scratch and you either win or lose which losing on the scratchoffs is what happens most of the time.

EP to Brownsville just an idea maybe instead of paying into NCSA $1,000 or upwards to $3,000 you could have used that money to travel to El Paso for the combine but I'm not sure if it's open just to anyone or simply El Paso area athletes. Maybe you should find out. I believe athletes from Las Cruces have participated in it.
That is a good idea I will ask Ed or Rick my son is going to be a sophomore next year by then I will have paid it off so it wont hurt to have that either, but who knows where my job will take me next he sure does miss El Paso he would have been at Eastlake.

Just wanted to offer some insight to the great discussion going here on the board.
These are simply my opinions and experiences, as a parent of student athletes who are playing at the next level.

The first step is to be realistic with your child’s level of ability. Get some field level Utep football tix, sit court side for a miner b-ball game, or check out combine stats, check out YouTube videos of the particular sport and division level, and really visualize / analyze the difference in D1talent, versus d2, d3,and naia levels, where there are opportunities for partial scholarships.
The partial scholarship then really brings home how important grades and SAT scores are, as this is where you can combine athletic and academic money to come as close as possible to finishing school as debt free as possible.

1. In my opinion, the biggest help we can offer our kids, is to help them research what schools are a good fit academically and socially.
Look at 4 year graduation rates. this was the most shocking statistic==many schools have criminal grad rates==. Remember our kids are trying to get degrees==that’s the #1goal!!!!!
Talk about location(travel is a big financial part of the equation), is the ethnicity breakdown important to your kid, is social/political vibe important? To me , these were the most important aspects of making a list of schools that were a good fit= academically and socially, then adding in their respective sports.

2. NCSA account is a solid tool, it provides college coaches a one stop shop for viewing your HUDL video, you can enter your mission statement, stats , and accomplishments.
It is FREE to establish the account, what they try to sell you on, is they will make your video, and they will put you in contact with college programs.
Don’t ever buy this!!!
You can make your own video—HUDL has an editing tool(my kids did their own),
And since you should already have a list of realistic schools , each athletics page has the prospective athlete questionnaire and all the coaches email.

3. It’s NOT the coaches responsibility to help your kid find a school and help them get a scholarship. If they offer help, great, but it’s no ones responsibility but the parents and student athlete.
My kids experience:: made hudl video, establish NCSA account, emailed coaches. The ones that are interested, called , text, and emailed, within 1week.
Coaches mostly requested transcripts and test scores, then requested to see the kid in person, at a camp, or for individual visit.
The ones that were interested made offers, and gave help with admissions and work study at athletic facilities.

These were not D1 scenarios, but a combination of D2, D3,and NAIA.

My families bottom line= find the best school, best fit, THEN add in athletics. We are trying to help our kids get degrees, not pro contracts.

Native son
Just wanted to offer some insight to the great discussion going here on the board.
These are simply my opinions and experiences, as a parent of student athletes who are playing at the next level.

The first step is to be realistic with your child’s level of ability. Get some field level Utep football tix, sit court side for a miner b-ball game, or check out combine stats, check out YouTube videos of the particular sport and division level, and really visualize / analyze the difference in D1talent, versus d2, d3,and naia levels, where there are opportunities for partial scholarships.
The partial scholarship then really brings home how important grades and SAT scores are, as this is where you can combine athletic and academic money to come as close as possible to finishing school as debt free as possible.

1. In my opinion, the biggest help we can offer our kids, is to help them research what schools are a good fit academically and socially.
Look at 4 year graduation rates. this was the most shocking statistic==many schools have criminal grad rates==. Remember our kids are trying to get degrees==that’s the #1goal!!!!!
Talk about location(travel is a big financial part of the equation), is the ethnicity breakdown important to your kid, is social/political vibe important? To me , these were the most important aspects of making a list of schools that were a good fit= academically and socially, then adding in their respective sports.

2. NCSA account is a solid tool, it provides college coaches a one stop shop for viewing your HUDL video, you can enter your mission statement, stats , and accomplishments.
It is FREE to establish the account, what they try to sell you on, is they will make your video, and they will put you in contact with college programs.
Don’t ever buy this!!!
You can make your own video—HUDL has an editing tool(my kids did their own),
And since you should already have a list of realistic schools , each athletics page has the prospective athlete questionnaire and all the coaches email.

3. It’s NOT the coaches responsibility to help your kid find a school and help them get a scholarship. If they offer help, great, but it’s no ones responsibility but the parents and student athlete.
My kids experience:: made hudl video, establish NCSA account, emailed coaches. The ones that are interested, called , text, and emailed, within 1week.
Coaches mostly requested transcripts and test scores, then requested to see the kid in person, at a camp, or for individual visit.
The ones that were interested made offers, and gave help with admissions and work study at athletic facilities.

These were not D1 scenarios, but a combination of D2, D3,and NAIA.

My families bottom line= find the best school, best fit, THEN add in athletics. We are trying to help our kids get degrees, not pro contracts.
Great points and unfortunately I ended up signing up for the payed version of NCSA, its a lesson learned now I am glad I found this early in his high school years as some parents wait till the end. I will also be sending him to a personal trainer for sports specific drills and conditioning.

I hope it is fruitful for you and your son. Maybe it was just him and not the NCSA lol. Or just move back to El Paso lol.

HOUNDS 93
I hope it is fruitful for you and your son. Maybe it was just him and not the NCSA lol. Or just move back to El Paso lol.
Oh we miss El Paso but I go where work sends me

There is no secret and there is no recruiting process. You either get lucky or you don't. I say this because there are millions of high school athletes with lots of talent from all over the United States that grind, bust their asses, hit the books, with high GPA's and wonderful characters, and fantastic attitudes and they still go unnoticed and not offered. People can pretend and act as if there is a secret and recruiting process as to how to go about getting noticed and increase chances of getting noticed and offered scholarships but it's all bullsshhit because even if you go to camps and combines it does not guarantee chet and even if you practice and play hard and excel on the field and in the classroom it also does not guarantee chet. Either you get luck or you don't.

Sam
There is no secret and there is no recruiting process. You either get lucky or you don't. I say this because there are millions of high school athletes with lots of talent from all over the United States that grind, bust their asses, hit the books, with high GPA's and wonderful characters, and fantastic attitudes and they still go unnoticed and not offered. People can pretend and act as if there is a secret and recruiting process as to how to go about getting noticed and increase chances of getting noticed and offered scholarships but it's all bullsshhit because even if you go to camps and combines it does not guarantee chet and even if you practice and play hard and excel on the field and in the classroom it also does not guarantee chet. Either you get luck or you don't.
Its politics, its who you know in the College Coaching staff. Some and I say Some, very FEW Head Coaches have contacts with Universities and that actually find time to promote their players. That Simple.

Are you serious on learning all about the recruiting process? Watch this movie and you will become an expert on the subject.

J.Walker that's exactly where I got all my knowledge on the entire recruiting process LOL!!!

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m