EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
Will El Paso, Texas ever have a high school football team advance to a UIL State Championship Game?

I personally don't think so. The only way I see it happening or atleast for El Paso, TX HS football teams to have a fighting chance of getting to State Championship Games on a frequent basis is if high schools in the El Paso area are combined.

My personal El Paso, Texas high schools combined with total enrollment estimates:

Coronado (2,816)
Franklin (2,809)
Total Enrollment Estimate (5,625)
---------------
Eastwood (2,160)
Bel Air (1,987)
Burges (1,537)
Total Enrollment Estimate (5,384)
---------------
Americas (2,502)
Del Valle (2,060)
Total Enrollment Estimate (4,562)
---------------
Pebble Hills (2,468)
El Dorado (2,013)
Total Enrollment Estimate (4,481)
---------------
Montwood (2,649)
Hanks (1,761)
Total Enrollment Estimate (4,410)
---------------
Eastlake (2,155)
Horizon (1,548)
Total Enrollment Estimate (3,703)
---------------
Socorro (2,442)
San Elizario (1,035)
Total Enrollment Estimate (3,477)
---------------
Chapin (1,864)
Irvin (1,409)
Total Enrollment Estimate (3,273)
---------------
Jefferson (1,783)
Bowie (1,394)
Total Enrollment Estimate (3,177)
---------------
Andress (1,572)
Parkland (1,548)
Total Enrollment Estimate (3,120)
---------------
El Paso High (1,442)
Austin (1,392)
Total Enrollment Estimate (2,834)
---------------
Ysleta (1,396)
Riverside (1,158)
Total Enrollment Estimate (2,554)
---------------
Mountain View (799)
Fabens (757)
Clint (667)
Total Enrollment Estimate (2,223)
---------------
Canutillo (1,529)
Anthony (239)
Total Enrollment Estimate (1,768)

Yes I know this topic has been discussed before within this forum over the years but I think it's important to resurrect this old topic as a refresher especially since players graduate every year and a new batch of varsity players, their parents and others become highly interested in El Paso, TX HS football. Yes I also know that Cathedral has won State but Cathedral is a private school not part of any District in El Paso and not knocking on Cathedral but Cathedral only has to win like 1 playoff game to get to a State Championship Game. What I'm wanting to discuss here are teams from the school Districts in the El Paso area.

Re: Will El Paso, Texas ever have a high school football team advance to a UIL State Championship Ga

Awesome post Juco and I agree with you in the combining of El Paso high schools. Granted Canutillo just a couple of years ago, the 2014 season I believe, was only 1 game shy of advancing to the State Title game but how many years in Canutillo high school's existence did it take to get that close? 50 years? And how many years will it take for Canutillo to repeat and get to that point and have that 1 game shy of the State Title game opportunity again? Another 50 years? Combining of the many high school in the city of El Paso is indeed the only way to get El Paso teams to compete at a higher level in the post season and advancing deep in the playoffs every single year.

Re: Will El Paso, Texas ever have a high school football team advance to a UIL State Championship Ga

Juco
I personally don't think so. The only way I see it happening or atleast for El Paso, TX HS football teams to have a fighting chance of getting to State Championship Games on a frequent basis is if high schools in the El Paso area are combined.

My personal El Paso, Texas high schools combined with total enrollment estimates:

Coronado (2,816)
Franklin (2,809)
---------------
Eastwood (2,160)
Bel Air (1,987)
Burges (1,537)
---------------
Americas (2,502)
Del Valle (2,060)
---------------
Pebble Hills (2,468)
El Dorado (2,013)
---------------
Montwood (2,649)
Hanks (1,761)
---------------
Eastlake (2,155)
Horizon (1,548)
---------------
Socorro (2,442)
San Elizario (1,035)
---------------
Chapin (1,864)
Irvin (1,409)
---------------
Jefferson (1,783)
Bowie (1,394)
---------------
Andress (1,572)
Parkland (1,548)
---------------
El Paso High (1,442)
Austin (1,392)
---------------
Ysleta (1,396)
Riverside (1,158)
---------------
Mountain View (799)
Fabens (757)
Clint (667)
---------------
Canutillo (1,529)
Anthony (239)

Yes I know this topic has been discussed before within this forum over the years but I think it's important to resurrect this old topic as a refresher especially since players graduate every year and a new batch of varsity players, their parents and others become highly interested in El Paso, TX HS football. Yes I also know that Cathedral has won State but Cathedral is a private school not part of any District in El Paso and not knocking on Cathedral but Cathedral only has to win like 1 playoff game to get to a State Championship Game. What I'm wanting to discuss here are teams from the school Districts in the El Paso area.
Great post, totally agree. El Paso stands no chance unless this miraculously happens, need to stop building schools.

OMG Juco the consolidation of El Paso, Texas high schools would be so amazing but sadly it won't happen.

Juco

Coronado (2,816)
Franklin (2,809)
---------------
Eastwood (2,160)
Bel Air (1,987)
Burges (1,537)
---------------
Americas (2,502)
Del Valle (2,060)
---------------
Pebble Hills (2,468)
El Dorado (2,013)
---------------
Montwood (2,649)
Hanks (1,761)
---------------
Eastlake (2,155)
Horizon (1,548)
---------------
Socorro (2,442)
San Elizario (1,035)
---------------
Chapin (1,864)
Irvin (1,409)
---------------
Jefferson (1,783)
Bowie (1,394)
---------------
Andress (1,572)
Parkland (1,548)
---------------
El Paso High (1,442)
Austin (1,392)
---------------
Ysleta (1,396)
Riverside (1,158)
---------------
Mountain View (799)
Fabens (757)
Clint (667)
---------------
Canutillo (1,529)
Anthony (239)

Hey Juco the Franklin Thunderbirds would not only easily get to State but they would win State consistently LOL

EP native, current coach at a 6a central tx perrenial state contender. It's sad to never see EP represented. I think the school combos would help getting passed the second round but it takes community support and coaching to get to state. Seen film of EP schools, schematics are unimpressive.

It's obvious when you have high schools throughout the state of Texas reporting these kinds enrollment numbers El Paso doesn't stand a chance of making it to State.

Allen High School has a enrollment of 6644
Plano West High School has a enrollment of 5654
Plano East High School has a enrollment of 5343
Plano High School has a enrollment of 5198
Galena Park North Shore High School has an enrollment of 4754
Dallas Skyline High School has a enrollment of 4568
Lewisville High School has a enrollment of 4564
Duncanville High School has a enrollment of 4451
Conroe The Woodlands High School has a enrollment of 4435
Laredo United High School has a enrollment of 4422
Alief Elsik High School has a enrollment of 4283
Pasadena Dobie High School has a enrollment of 4277
Deer Park High School has a enrollment of 4083
Pearland High School has a enrollment of 4027
Houston MacArthur High School has a enrollment 4010
Conroe High School has a enrollment of 3998
Alief Hastings High School has a enrollment of 3993
Odessa High School has a enrollment of 3992
Klein Oak High School has a enrollment of 3955
Odessa Permian High School has a enrollment of 3920
and 17 other Texas High Schools with enrollments above 3500 and lots above 3000.

This is not the answer. We've talked about it before. Not even combined schools would be able to compete with Allen, DeSoto, Trinity or Southlake Carroll.

If enrollment was the key, Why hasn't Laredo United won state titles or beat a team like Lake Travis/Westlake in the playoffs? Show me how many titles Plano West, East or High have won recently...

KarlosY
This is not the answer. We've talked about it before. Not even combined schools would be able to compete with Allen, DeSoto, Trinity or Southlake Carroll.

If enrollment was the key, Why hasn't Laredo United won state titles or beat a team like Lake Travis/Westlake in the playoffs? Show me how many titles Plano West, East or High have won recently...
KarlosY the combining of high schools may not guarantee that El Paso teams will make it to the big dance but let's atleast make it fair with the rest of the State. Atleast Laredo United has that fighting chance where as not 1 single 6A El Paso team has that fighting chance.

6A Laredo United 4,422

6A Coronado 2,816
6A Franklin 2,809
6A Montwood 2,649
6A Americas 2,502
6A Pebble Hills 2,468
6A Socorro 2,442

As I stated; atleast Laredo United has a fighting chance.

This is a great idea make only a three Unified districts. But the only problem l foresee is the past Alumni of schools that the still live in the past.

Juco
KarlosY

KarlosY the combining of high schools may not guarantee that El Paso teams will make it to the big dance but let's atleast make it fair with the rest of the State. Atleast Laredo United has that fighting chance where as not 1 single 6A El Paso team has that fighting chance.

6A Laredo United 4,422

6A Coronado 2,816
6A Franklin 2,809
6A Montwood 2,649
6A Americas 2,502
6A Pebble Hills 2,468
6A Socorro 2,442

When the 6A Texas State Playoffs come around out of town media pundits and out of town 6A teams know 6A teams out of El Paso do not stand a chance in the 6A Texas State Playoffs. They easily predict El Paso losses in the early rounds of the Texas State Playoffs without any hesitation. This clearly says there is a unfairness or unbalance in the 6A Texas high school football universe. Heck right this second I predict that this coming season not one 6A El Paso team will get past the 1st round of the Texas State Playoffs.

Juco
KarlosY

6A Laredo United 4,422

6A Coronado 2,816
6A Franklin 2,809
6A Montwood 2,649
6A Americas 2,502
6A Pebble Hills 2,468
6A Socorro 2,442

If you have ever lived in Laredo you will see that United controls all enrollment for students in North Laredo their old campus was converted into the 9th grade center, they are the only school in Laredo that has that and the topic was brought up many times about opening another high school in the northern part of Laredo but they will not budge.

EP to Brownsville
If you have ever lived in Laredo you will see that United controls all enrollment for students in North Laredo their old campus was converted into the 9th grade center, they are the only school in Laredo that has that and the topic was brought up many times about opening another high school in the northern part of Laredo but they will not budge.

As much as I would love to see teams out of El Paso do insanely well in the state playoffs and make state championship appearances and winning them ofcourse I just don't see it occurring with the way "things" are today

Individual teams in Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio and further East Texas have a larger quantity of bigger, faster, and skilled players on their teams than El Paso teams. Individual teams in El Paso have an extreme shortage of bigger, faster, and skilled players.

The lack of bigger, faster, and skilled players on each El Paso team is the issue here. Combining El Paso high schools would help immensely in this area and El Paso will have that fighting chance.

I am spoiled to watch DFW area HS football, NEVER.—- “too many schools” is a weak statement. The kids out here are huge (length and muscle wise), faster, and more talented as a whole team. Not saying EP doesn’t have a few talented individuals, but the level of competition outside of round two in the playoffs consists of teams with several D1 and D2 players.

Juco

Coronado (2,816)
Franklin (2,809)
---------------
Eastwood (2,160)
Bel Air (1,987)
Burges (1,537)
---------------
Americas (2,502)
Del Valle (2,060)
---------------
Pebble Hills (2,468)
El Dorado (2,013)
---------------
Montwood (2,649)
Hanks (1,761)
---------------
Eastlake (2,155)
Horizon (1,548)
---------------
Socorro (2,442)
San Elizario (1,035)
---------------
Chapin (1,864)
Irvin (1,409)
---------------
Jefferson (1,783)
Bowie (1,394)
---------------
Andress (1,572)
Parkland (1,548)
---------------
El Paso High (1,442)
Austin (1,392)
---------------
Ysleta (1,396)
Riverside (1,158)
---------------
Mountain View (799)
Fabens (757)
Clint (667)
---------------
Canutillo (1,529)
Anthony (239)

If Franklin and Coronado were to be consolidated into one varsity high school football program and the money was there to pay a great coach and coaching staff I would lay $3.5 million that this team would advance all the way to State and Win it all. This team would be a State Title contender every season. Many businesses in El Paso would be supportive of this team.

How many players from those two schools have signed with D1 schools?

DNR
How many players from those two schools have signed with D1 schools?
DNR there have been quite a few athletes in the last 35 years combining both Franklin and Coronado teams. Coronado has been around since early 1970s. Franklin since mid 1990s. DNR do your research and see.

And if combining El Paso high schools were to occurr there would be lots of players signing with D1 programs throughout El Paso every year because now it would be beneficial for college scouts to recruit El Paso with lots of great teams loaded with talent and teams receiving lots of publicity from doing well in the playoffs. The entire culture in El Paso would change instantaneously.

The trenches is where the problem lies. Height, weight, strength, and stamina from end to end on the Oline and Dline is huge factor. Combining high schools would help alot with this problem. Coaches will have more chess pieces to select from and to work with to put massive Oline and Dline together.

FanInTheStands
I am spoiled to watch DFW area HS football, NEVER.—- “too many schools” is a weak statement. The kids out here are huge (length and muscle wise), faster, and more talented as a whole team. Not saying EP doesn’t have a few talented individuals, but the level of competition outside of round two in the playoffs consists of teams with several D1 and D2 players.
Totally agree. Too many people on this board are under the belief that we have all this D1 or D2 talent. We do not. We need to get over this and let the kids play ball and stop labeling them as what "we think" they should be (D1 or D2 etc....) I mean crap, we already have a post of who has or will have or whatever a D1 offer for next year!!! Heck one kid is 5' 10" and had stats this year that were worse than some others at his position by quite a bit and the kids this yr received no offers. Lets relax and let this kids enjoy the game and whatever happens, happens!

I don't think we can argue against the idea that more numbers gives you an advantage. You create depth, competition within positions and on the practice field, etc.... But go back to what the author of the quote above said about playing against teams with more D1 and D2 talent on their rosters as you advance further in the play-offs. Players will get better with competition, but not to the point where we suddenly have a plethora of D! and D2 athletes.

If 5 teams in El Paso fielded a Steven Montez at QB you would have him being recruited at all 5 schools. Do not agree with Westsider that combining schools would give recruiters a reason to come and that all of a sudden we would have all this D1 talent. If a kid is truly a D1 talent, they will be here. It is not going to take larger schools to do that.

Also Westsider, instead of asking DNR to do his research on D1 kids from Coronado and Franklin, since you said it was quite a few, than you know, so let us know. Coronado has been around almost 50 yrs. With you saying "quite a few", the list should be worthwhile. Do the same for Franklin that has been around for around 25 years. We are talking D1 signees, not walk-on's here. I can remember Lance Taylor from I think 1978 who was a stud from Coronado and went to Texas.

Austin Westlake and Lake Travis is 6-A are perennial powerhouses in 6-A and have enrollments around 2500. Then again, Westlake produced a Drew Brees and a Nick Foles!

It is a no brainer that having more studs on a team will cause each stud to push and make each stud more studdier resulting in a hell of a studalicious team capable of studish success in the Playoffs. College recruiters will want a six pack of this team's studs to take back home.

1 2 3 4 5
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m