EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Playoffs

Can you someone breakdown how teams get into the playoffs and how that all works.

Re: Playoffs

justinterested
Can you someone breakdown how teams get into the playoffs and how that all works.
Top four teams per district get in.

The only teams that will play each other are the Andress and Parkland districts. The rest will play against Lubbock/Odessa/Midland schools.

Too early on a Saturday to look at possible matchups. I’ll just wait until next Friday to see where everyone ends up.

Next Friday at the SAC will determine the last 3 teams to get into the 6A playoffs. Franklin is already in and congratulations to them. The winner of the 4pm game (PHHS vs CHS) and 730pm game (AHS vs MHS) are locks to get in. The 4th spot will be determined by head to head, from my understanding, with the two losing teams.
Coronado must be commended for stepping up to the plate and meeting the challenge to play their way into the playoff picture by beating Americas Friday night.

Quaker86
Next Friday at the SAC will determine the last 3 teams to get into the 6A playoffs. Franklin is already in and congratulations to them. The winner of the 4pm game (PHHS vs CHS) and 730pm game (AHS vs MHS) are locks to get in. The 4th spot will be determined by head to head, from my understanding, with the two losing teams.
Coronado must be commended for stepping up to the plate and meeting the challenge to play their way into the playoff picture by beating Americas Friday night.
sorry what does head to head mean?

boonbltz
Quaker86
sorry what does head to head mean?
Head to Head is who won the game when they played.
IE: If CHS and AHS lost the winner of the game they played against each other would get the 4th playoff spot. That would be CHS.

it's my understanding that 4 teams from each district still qualify, and the 2 with the largest enrollment go to the "big school" bracket (division 1) and the other 2 go to the "small school" bracket (division 2)

6a Division
I think 2-6a is mostly settled as far as seeding goes, assuming Tascosa beats Frenship.

Franklin will likely play the winner of next week's Odessa/Midland game
everything is up in the air in 1-6a after that, due to Coronado's win vs. Americas.

the possibilities are:
Montwood/Coronado vs. Odessa Permian (big)
Montwood/Pebble Hills/Americas vs. Midland Lee (small)
Montwood/Pebble Hills/Americas vs. Amarillo Tascosa (small)
------------

5a-Division 1
(assuming ElDo & Bel Air lose):
Eastwood vs. Amarillo (big)
Eastlake vs. Lubbock Coronado (big)
Del Valle/Chapin vs. Abilene Cooper/Amarillo Caprock (small)
Del Valle/Chapin vs. Abilene Cooper/Amarillo Caprock (small)

if Eastlake somehow misses playoffs, Del Valle would bump up to the big division and face L.Coronado. Then Chapin would face the S2 from district 2. ElDo/Bel Air would then face the S1 from district 2. Cooper is S1 and Caprock is S2 unless Cooper loses to Amarillo and Caprock upsets L.Coronado.
-----------------------------
5a-Division 2
District 2 (EPISD schools) is settled for seeding (Andress=B1, Burges=B2, Austin=S1, Irvin=S2)

District 1 (YISD) is all over the place due to the Ysleta loss vs. Hanks. This district uses point differential for 3-way ties, so that makes forecasting easier. Further confusion results from the fact that Parkland and Horizon are both listed as 1548 enrollment, so I don't know how they would decide the big/small split if Hanks makes it in.

Parkland: clinched playoffs, but seeding can change. Parkland is B1 (which faces Burges), unless Hanks makes it and bumps them to S1.
Canutillo: clinched playoffs (wins tiebreakers via H2H and net points), but seeding can change. S2 seed (which faces Austin) w/ loss to Parkland . S1 or B2 seed w/ win over Parkland.
Horizon/Ysleta: winner gets in. loser depends on a couple other outcomes listed below to make playoffs. Horizon is usually the B2 school, which faces Andress. Ysleta is usually the S1 school, which faces Irvin.

Hanks: need to win & have Ysleta and Canutillo lose. This is the only scenario where Ysleta misses playoffs.
Riverside: need to win and have Horizon and Parkland lose. This is the only scenario where Horizon misses playoffs.

Only 6a has the big/small school divisions. 5a has already been divided into big and small schools. 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. Parkland will play Irvin as it seems to be the only set marchup in 5a D2.

KarlosY
Only 6a has the big/small school divisions. 5a has already been divided into big and small schools. 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. Parkland will play Irvin as it seems to be the only set marchup in 5a D2.
ok, that would make more sense. guess that takes the interesting Burges/Parkland rematch off the table. In that case, based off the 8 possible W/L combinations district 1 is:

Parkland: #1
Horizon: #2 in 4 scenarios, #3 in 2 scenarios, #4 in 1 scenario, miss playoffs in 1 scenario
Ysleta: #2 in 4 scenarios, #3 in 1 scenario, #4 in 2 scenarios, miss playoffs in 1 scenario
Canutillo:---------------, #3 in 5 scenarios, #4 in 3 scenarios,

Hanks:---------------------,-------------------, #4 in 1 scenario, miss playoffs in 7 scenarios
Riverside:----------------,--------------------, #4 in 1 scenario, miss playoffs in 7 scenarios

district 2
Andress: #1
Burges: #2 with W, #3 with L
Austin: #2 with W, #3 with L
Irvin: #4

-----------------------
Division 1

District 1
(assuming Eldo/Bel Air losses)
Eastwood: #1
Del Valle: #2 with W, #3 with L
Chapin: #2 with W, #3 with L
Eastlake: #4

District 2
Lubbock Coronado: #1 in 3 scenarios, #2 in 1 scenario
Abilene Cooper:------------------------, #2 in 3 secnarios, ---------------------, #4 in 1 scenario
Amarillo Caprock: #1 in 1 scenario, ----------------------, #3 in 2 scenarios, #4 in 1 scenario
Amarillo:-----------------------------,-------------------------, #3 in 2 scenarios, #4 in 2 scenarios

(in the past, Amarillo ISD has used a points tiebreaker. above assumes no more wins by 15+ points)

mausDE
KarlosY
ok, that would make more sense. guess that takes the interesting Burges/Parkland rematch off the table. In that case, based off the 8 possible W/L combinations district 1 is:

Parkland: #1
Horizon: #2 in 4 scenarios, #3 in 2 scenarios, #4 in 1 scenario, miss playoffs in 1 scenario
Ysleta: #2 in 4 scenarios, #3 in 1 scenario, #4 in 2 scenarios, miss playoffs in 1 scenario
Canutillo:---------------, #3 in 5 scenarios, #4 in 3 scenarios,

Hanks:---------------------,-------------------, #4 in 1 scenario, miss playoffs in 7 scenarios
Riverside:----------------,--------------------, #4 in 1 scenario, miss playoffs in 7 scenarios

district 2
Andress: #1
Burges: #2 with W, #3 with L
Austin: #2 with W, #3 with L
Irvin: #4

-----------------------
Division 1

District 1
(assuming Eldo/Bel Air losses)
Eastwood: #1
Del Valle: #2 with W, #3 with L
Chapin: #2 with W, #3 with L
Eastlake: #4

District 2
Lubbock Coronado: #1 in 3 scenarios, #2 in 1 scenario
Abilene Cooper:------------------------, #2 in 3 secnarios, ---------------------, #4 in 1 scenario
Amarillo Caprock: #1 in 1 scenario, ----------------------, #3 in 2 scenarios, #4 in 1 scenario
Amarillo:-----------------------------,-------------------------, #3 in 2 scenarios, #4 in 2 scenarios

(in the past, Amarillo ISD has used a points tiebreaker. above assumes no more wins by 15+ points)
Nice breakdown of the playoff possibilities

It’s confirmed parkland will be hosting Irvin in the playoffs

Prediction:

Franklin Set
Montwood
Pebble
Coronado Tie Breaker over Americas

Americas Out.

Lol I like your prediction but Americas a little to strong for Montwood so Americas will be in the playoffs and so will Pebble Hills just my playoff prediction

Please correct me if I am wrong but:
If Coronado beats Pebble Hills then Americas is a playoff lock since they hold the tie breaker over PHHS
If PHHS wins then Montwood is a lock since they hold the tiebreaker over Coronado.

Yes, Out of the two losers, Who ever beat who during regular season is in (Locked In).

Quaker86
Please correct me if I am wrong but:
If Coronado beats Pebble Hills then Americas is a playoff lock since they hold the tie breaker over PHHS
If PHHS wins then Montwood is a lock since they hold the tiebreaker over Coronado.
The only way Coronado gets into the playoffs is if they EITHER beat Pebble Hills OR if they lose to Pebble Hills they need help from Montwood to beat Americas and Coronado still gets in despite losing to Pebble Hills.

The only way Montwood gets into the playoffs is if they EITHER beat Americas OR if they lose to Americas they need help from Pebble Hills to beat Coronado and Montwood still gets in despite losing to Americas.

Its really simple : The two losing teams: Then the Team who won the head to head game between each other is in the playoffs.

A 1-9 Bel Air or 2-8 El Dorado could still make the playoffs...that is crazy.

Big
A 1-9 Bel Air or 2-8 El Dorado could still make the playoffs...that is crazy.
Eastlake made it in, right?

We should start getting idea of final matchups for bi-district by the end of the night! I’m mostly interested in seeing which out of town teams each school will play.

Someone please explain how ysleta is out of the playoffs.

Ysleta is not out yet they are in a three way tie with hanks and canutillo for the last 2 playoff spots so one of them will be out. Not sure how ties are handled.

This is my opinion .I think that Ysleta should be given the opportunity to represent in fourth place .I don't think the Eagles or Hanks has the talent to really do anything in the playoffs, the Indians are more balanced and they are more of a threat. Hank's and the Eagles will be an embarrassment like they were all year.

1 2
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m