EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
El Paso teams are a BYE WEEK in the playoffs

What I have yet to come across and discussed within this message board is how majority of out of town teams, their coaches and players think about the playoffs when going against a El Paso team compared to how El Paso teams, their coaches and players think about the playoffs going against a out of town team. How majority of out of town teams, their coaches and players possibly think El Paso teams in the playoffs literally as a BYE WEEK or as a practice game for them compared to the thought process of El Paso teams, their coaches, and players with the hope they can compete and possibly pull off the upset and survive to move on. Mindset I am sure is night and day between out of town teams and El Paso teams in the playoffs.

Re: El Paso teams are a BYE WEEK in the playoffs

Yall would have asked for football to be dropped if we had forums in the 80s and 90s.

From 1980-2000 only Andress advanced against an out of town school. We all know that they actually tied and were awarded the win on penetrations. Every other team from El paso lost. It was probably 40-50 losses.

Since 2001 El Paso teams have a number of wins but you want to be salty and negative. Whatever old guy.

OldTimer
What I have yet to come across and discussed within this message board is how majority of out of town teams, their coaches and players think about the playoffs when going against a El Paso team compared to how El Paso teams, their coaches and players think about the playoffs going against a out of town team. How majority of out of town teams, their coaches and players possibly think El Paso teams in the playoffs literally as a BYE WEEK or as a practice game for them compared to the thought process of El Paso teams, their coaches, and players with the hope they can compete and possibly pull off the upset and survive to move on. Mindset I am sure is night and day between out of town teams and El Paso teams in the playoffs.
There were stories once upon a time OldTimer.

Stories such as when Basin and Panhandle teams were scheduled to play an El Paso team in the city of El Paso that those out of town teams would first make a stop at Cattleman's to eat, drink and celebrate their win over the El Paso team long before the game had even taken place.

Just stories

Everyone talks about mindsets , coaches and quality of training . The bottom maybe those other places have better players, The logic is how can a 5 & 5 team beat our 9 2 teams . Everyone beats their brains out to try to figure it out and can accept maybe we don’t have as good of Fb players then the tease Texas , that’s all to it. And until one HS lucks out and has a concentrated number of good players on the Same team are we going to advance and win state

Maybe
Everyone talks about mindsets , coaches and quality of training . The bottom maybe those other places have better players, The logic is how can a 5 & 5 team beat our 9 2 teams . Everyone beats their brains out to try to figure it out and can accept maybe we don’t have as good of Fb players then the tease Texas , that’s all to it. And until one HS lucks out and has a concentrated number of good players on the Same team are we going to advance and win state
The coaching is different, in El Paso a District Championship is better than a State Championship because that is standard here in the city of El Paso, except for soccer, if football takes the soccer mind set then maybe teams can win once they get passed Van Horn, plus you had teams leaving at 5 AM the next morning to travel by bus to play at 1 coaches are not giving these children chances. I understand Thanksgiving is about family but after 5 PM, you've already said hi and by to everyone. But I'm just someone that's posting nothing can be done now lol.

You are right, our mentality sucks. But not about the state playoffs, everyone wants to win every game, it is the rest of the year that does not get the focus and attention it should. From players not eating enough and lifting to sport specialization, our kids are at a disadvantage as a whole because of weak skill sets.

We can talk about coaches all we want but the fact remains that it's the kids that have to play the game. Awesome Jimmy and Joes will make any coach look like a bad ass. Many play FB here for the first time in 7th grade or even as late as 9th grade. That has changed in the last 10-12 years and we are seeing it as the talent level in EP has improved, but too many kids do not commit to being athletes. Weights, food, and sleep are over looked.

What about specialization in sports? Tunnel vision!! We always here about good QBs that are accomplished pitchers in BB, awesome receivers that are really bad ass basketball players, what about those LB/DL that are bad ass wrestlers? Always here it about kids from small towns, but not too much in EP. FB coaches always encourage players to play other sports, but seems that it is not the same from other sports. I have seen some big strong wreslters, baseball/basketball players at our school that dont play FB, it's mind boggling. What about the fast soccer players that have good feet and toughness?

Just saying
Maybe
The coaching is different, in El Paso a District Championship is better than a State Championship because that is standard here in the city of El Paso, except for soccer, if football takes the soccer mind set then maybe teams can win once they get passed Van Horn, plus you had teams leaving at 5 AM the next morning to travel by bus to play at 1 coaches are not giving these children chances. I understand Thanksgiving is about family but after 5 PM, you've already said hi and by to everyone. But I'm just someone that's posting nothing can be done now lol.
Many teams across the state show up the day of the game after traveling 5-7 hours. Hotel stays are a huge distraction. Last year Midland Lee showed up to the SAC and whooped on El Dorado 1st round. I believe the same thing happened to Coronado at the start of the season. Didn't the teams that visited this year do the same??

What do varsity squads from El Paso do during halftime? Do their coaches and players take catnaps?

Score at the Half Parkland 14 Canyon Randall 7
Final Canyon Randall 38 Parkland 28

Score at the Half Wichita Falls Rider 14 Andress 7
Final Wichita Falls Rider 41 Andress 10

Score at the Half Denton Ryan 28 Del Valle 14
Final Denton Ryan 42 Del Valle 14

OutofTowner
What do varsity squads from El Paso do during halftime? Do their coaches and players take catnaps?

Yup something is definitely wrong with that but being El Paso football it won't be addressed.

Spitfire
OutofTowner

Yup something is definitely wrong with that but being El Paso football it won't be addressed.
Thats how it used to be here in the rgv. Coaching has improbed alot and now you have competive games in the 3rd rd unlike 15 years ago they couldnt even make it past the second. This year the rgv has 6 teams still standing which of those 6 ,3 have a decent chance to win and go to the 4th rd. Talent level in the rgv is lesser to that of el paso. And no dont bring up los fresnos vs montwood lol bcs los fresnos didnt even make the playoffs and was horrible this year. El paso has tons of talent and size. I think its the coaching and the players mentality. Thats how it is here for rgv teams in the 3rd round once they go vs austin or north san antonio teams but the past years valley teams scheduled some of those teams in the pre district games. And it has helped a bit.

There’s 4 Laredo+ RGV districts. Has been like that for a few years so 4 teams from The Valley have a great chance to go to the 3rd round annually. Vela and Hanna are good, I’ll give you that. They’d beat Franklin with ease in my opinion. Not familiar with the rest of the 6A schools. In 5A they do play coastal bend or SAn Antonio area schools 2nd round.

The original poster probably had been saving that take for months until the last team was out. Fact is, it is the hardest state to win a football title because there are so many good teams, great players, and big budget programs. I guarantee the 5'9 165 and local LB is coached just as well as and works just as hard at the kid who is 6'1 225 and heading to the next level. Talent, size, and speed of the athlete is the game changer. Having 5 or 6 prospects on the field is a massive advantage over a program with 1 or 2,

OutofTowner

That score was 14-10 @1/2 time

OutofTowner

El Paso coaches are out coached plain and simple

BillyBob
OutofTowner

El Paso coaches are out coached plain and simple
I don’t know how a coach can teach their players to prevent 90 yard kickoff returns and 40 yard interception returns. Those are instinct and talent plays. You have them or you don’t!

People tend to overreact when it comes to the value of coaching. It's all about talent, the team with the most talent will win majority of matchups. El Paso has great coaches. We have several programs such as Hanks and Andress that have former Division 1 coaches and many programs with former D1 players. The coaches in El Paso are good coaches.

Talent plays a bigger role than parents realize. Its the reason colleges recruit. How do you explain a coach who has little success at Riverside then goes undefeated at Parkland? Talent.

Our coaches are good. However, Texas is a state that is loaded with athletes. And talent wins.

HSFootballCoach
People tend to overreact when it comes to the value of coaching. It's all about talent, the team with the most talent will win majority of matchups. El Paso has great coaches. We have several programs such as Hanks and Andress that have former Division 1 coaches and many programs with former D1 players. The coaches in El Paso are good coaches.

Talent plays a bigger role than parents realize. Its the reason colleges recruit. How do you explain a coach who has little success at Riverside then goes undefeated at Parkland? Talent.

Our coaches are good. However, Texas is a state that is loaded with athletes. And talent wins.
You're partially right but mostly you're wrong

You said """""How do you explain a coach who has little success at Riverside then goes undefeated at Parkland? Talent."""""

I know how to ask questions as well.

How do you explain a coach at Parkland who has talent but struggles to beat out of town teams case in point this season which the Parkland coach had division 1 talent and lost to a 5-6 out of town team?

Just saying
Maybe
This is perfect my son's team played on Friday in San Antonio at 3 pm, although SA is only 4 hours away they left Thursday at 3pm Thanksgiving Day. Guess what they will be leaving this Friday morning for a game on Saturday at noon in SA.

LeftEP4RGV
Just saying
Maybe
The coaching is different, in El Paso a District Championship is better than a State Championship because that is standard here in the city of El Paso, except for soccer, if football takes the soccer mind set then maybe teams can win once they get passed Van Horn, plus you had teams leaving at 5 AM the next morning to travel by bus to play at 1 coaches are not giving these children chances. I understand Thanksgiving is about family but after 5 PM, you\'ve already said hi and by to everyone. But I\'m just someone that\'s posting nothing can be done now lol.
This is perfect my son's team played on Friday in San Antonio at 3 pm, although SA is only 4 hours away they left Thursday at 3pm Thanksgiving Day. Guess what they will be leaving this Friday morning for a game on Saturday at noon in SA.
Lots of luck to your son and his team LeftEP4RGV!!!

1. To Travel Day before or Not?
Could go both ways. Well disciplined kids that are well rested should be more ready to play. Or, kids could play around and not take advantage of situation. As noted by "headhunter" above, teams have traveled to EP on day of game and wiped us out.
ADVANTAGE - Toss - up

2. "Headhunter" talks of sports specialization being a drawback. Where are the great athletes from other sports? As someone who has been around FB coaches in 29 years of coaching and working in schools and having kids in schools, the problem is FB coaches are the worst at wanting to "share" athletes. Seen it. Heard it. They are more than happy to have them run track (they are getting workouts to aid in FB, normally still partake in spring workouts as well). But heaven forbid they let a kids go to a team sport for a few months.

3. RGV talks about how the lower valley has shown accomplishments and progress. Keep it up. Not familiar with the path taken in your region. I am not sure that the coaching and talent gap and mentality gap is as generous as you may believe.

4. FROM "HSFOOTBALLCOACH" The original poster probably had been saving that take for months until the last team was out. Fact is, it is the hardest state to win a football title because there are so many good teams, great players, and big budget programs. I guarantee the 5'9 165 and local LB is coached just as well as and works just as hard at the kid who is 6'1 225 and heading to the next level. Talent, size, and speed of the athlete is the game changer. Having 5 or 6 prospects on the field is a massive advantage over a program with 1 or 2,

Need not say more. So right on the button. We can specialize each kid and train 365 with top notch equipment and give top notch nutrition and bring in Bill Belichick. But you can only do so much when outmatched from other areas in the state in size and speed. We can get the 5'9" lineman to be a power lifting champ, but going up against more size and similar strength is difficult. Throw in sports psychologists for right mental state, it still won't happen.

5. From Maybe "And until one HS lucks out and has a concentrated number of good players on the Same team are we going to advance and win state"..
Agreed. THE PERFECT STORM. A few D1 prospects can't carry a FB team far in the state play-offs.
Baseball can ride two awesome pitchers. Softball can ride one hell of pitcher. FB is 11 players on each side. You need help.

6. Forget the talk about consolidation. Will never ever happen except in La La Land. Public school have enough financial problems than having to worry about and placing state championships as their reason for being. And anyways, let's go to La La Land for a bit. Lets put the Westside together and become dominate. Guess what, 2 can p;ay that game. Let's consolidate Midland and Lee. Let's consolidate Odessa and Permian. Get the idea.

7. Have we gained ground on the Permian Basis? Yes. Kind of like UTEP. We both had some hellish times in the 70's and 80's. We can compete now. But then again, it ain't exactly Friday Night Lights Permian Basis FB like it was.

BOTTOM LINE - we can all argue til we are blue. Let's support what we have.

This is true especially at Eastwood where there is no defense played. Can’t stop the run or stick to the run

1 2
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m