EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hanks is Open

So who gets this one?

Re: Hanks is Open

My guess is no one good. Hanks is like the UTEP of high schools. They can't get any good coaches and when Hanks does get a coach that can turn the program around, they leave.

Please lord, not another loser like Price or Cleveland. We need a real coach. Someone who cares about the Hanks community. Richard Thomas anybody?

Richard Thomas will never get Hanks

Why not? Ysleta hired and alum and Riverside just did too. The community wants someone who cares and has experience and he fits the bill. He can do a good job but at the same time the district has to give a head coach resources to be successful. I am not talking about money I am talking about being able to hire and put people around him to get the job done.

It’s gotta be Jason Blair’s . . He’s been the OC under Price who’s vested in the program and would continue the systems put in place to have the Knights run through the district next year. . No brainer!!

Current HS coach
Why not? Ysleta hired and alum and Riverside just did too. The community wants someone who cares and has experience and he fits the bill. He can do a good job but at the same time the district has to give a head coach resources to be successful. I am not talking about money I am talking about being able to hire and put people around him to get the job done.
Richard Thomas applied and didn’t get it when Jones got the job then applied again after jones was fired and again did not get the job price did so what makes you think he will get it this time when he was fired from bel air ....

He wasn't fired TC was fired.

Lol so was he if not he would still be there ... scoggins gave him the boot

TC and his coordinators were Fired!!!

Quick Wok
It’s gotta be Jason Blair’s . . He’s been the OC under Price who’s vested in the program and would continue the systems put in place to have the Knights run through the district next year. . No brainer!!
Blair offered at Socorro.....you know what that means

El chingon
Current HS coach
Richard Thomas applied and didn’t get it when Jones got the job then applied again after jones was fired and again did not get the job price did so what makes you think he will get it this time when he was fired from bel air ....
Man...jones and price.....that worked out well

Whoever becomes Hanks new head coach better do some solid recruiting of their own Hanks zone and not have all the good skilled players from that Hanks zone to be recruited to go to Eastwood.

El chingon
Lol so was he if not he would still be there ... scoggins gave him the boot
Yeah look at the clowns that Scoggins hired, I bet youre one of them...

No Mr Thomas I am not a coach at Bel Air ... but I see you’re not holding any grudges lol

I didn’t think Coach Price would be there more than three years. I believe his mission was to lay a foundation and groom Coach Blair to be the Head Coach for the future. There are many things that Price got going in the spring of 17 that were being neglected under Jones and the program bottomed out during his tenure. I agree they need someone who will commit long term and think either Blair or Thomas would be that guy. Yes, they need to try and keep the kids within the boundary but long term need a healthy dose of transfers like Eastwood. It wasn’t too long ago that Eastwood was a bottom dweller. Also, the demographic seems changed much from when I was there. Not saying it’s a good or bad thing, just an observation, and that is that it appears there are more native Spanish speakers than before, not exactly the type that prefers football but futbol instead. Again, it’s anecdotal and I’m Hispanic so there is no white privilege I need to check LOL.

This job was Blair's up until the last minute when Price was contacted and brought in. If he stays and does not go after the Socorro job, this should all be his. Knights have made strides the past two years but this is not the Hanks of yesteryear. As parent mentioned above, the demographics have changed and numbers are way down. With Eastwood opening back up next year, it will be a battle to keep/get kids to choose Hanks.

Things are not going to be easy at BA as well.

Whoever the next HC is, he is going to have his work cut out for him. Especially with the new Eastwood campus nearly complete and Montwood HS down the street. YISD needs to step in and help with Hanks enrollment #s by making some sort of cut off mark at Eastwood (2250-2500max) and by making the EHS feeder Boundaries smaller.

I was told that Desert View had a pretty good football team this past season (not sure if it were 7th or 8th grade) but that future Hanks HC will need to make his and his staff's presence known at Desert View and Indian Ridge with the athletes and coaches. Can't forget about the peewee football program the JR knights as many of the kids parents live in the Hanks feeder area or are Hanks alumni. If he can make the 79935/36 community proud and take pride of being a Knight, he can turn that program around.

Quick Wok
I, as many, believe the next candidate who should replace Price and be Hanks next HC is currently on staff. However, Blair is not the man for this job....

JJ Calderon...Hanks alum...might as well, Eastlake can't compete in that district anyways, he can bring his mijo OC with him

My son will be a senior next year and I was really looking forward to him expanding on the success of the past two years. It really angers me that instead of him and the team flourishing they will regress and now need learn a new system of play calling or even a new offense. Coach Garcia would be my pick but I'd settle for Blair . . .Really hope they choose from within

Blair would be a great choice for this job. He has invested his time in this program. He has a vested interest in the kids and community. He learned from a great coach in Price and he will get the job done. Whoever gets the job will have to count on losing kids to Eastwood that's a given but Blair deserves his shot. I hope he gets it. I know my son would be in good hands if he does.

Senior Parent
My son will be a senior next year and I was really looking forward to him expanding on the success of the past two years. It really angers me that instead of him and the team flourishing they will regress and now need learn a new system of play calling or even a new offense. Coach Garcia would be my pick but I'd settle for Blair . . .Really hope they choose from within
I agree with you but we are going to have the same people as usual apply cause these coaches apply for everything .l hope I’m on the hiring committee to represent parents...
If we don’t hire from within I would like to see Torres get it however here are the list to pick from

Usuals
Scott Veliz
Thomas
Ruiz
Elliot
Oc americas

Others I heard about
Oc Franklin
Oc eastwood
Rangel from dv not even a coordinator lol

Torres-DWI
Garcia- DWI

Surprised anyone is even considering these guys. That's not what I want for my son as a leader. We can do better people.

Senior Parent
I hope so too, however we will have the same coaches that apply for everything.... as parents we will have a say this time around..

Usual coaches that put in for everything
Scott Veliz
Thomas
Elliot
Ruiz
Molina
Oc americas
Graham
Stevenson

New ones
Oc Franklin
Oc eastwood
Some guy Rangel from dv not a coordinator

I hope Torres applies !!!

Seems like the Usuals have all been fired for has beens or are too dam old ( andres coach lol) and the new ones are inexperienced... dam lol

Gordo
JJ Calderon...Hanks alum...might as well, Eastlake can't compete in that district anyways, he can bring his mijo OC with him
Record speaks for itself. Eastlake has been prominent in FB since day one when it opened and JJ was the coach. Believe it or not, schools do have ups and downs. I know that this is unreal for some to believe in today's society. They will get back on top sooner than later.

Usual Blair
He applies for everything
Socorro, Hanks, Parkland, Austin, etc... all of which were a no hire. He’s not the answer for Hanks

So X you're saying Blair has applied for everything? Hmmm don't think he applied for Bel Air or Riverside or El Dorado or Jefferson to name a few Some people apply and don't get the job for various reasons. I am a parent who has delt with him and I have to attest to this. He does a lot for the kids at Hanks and is a positive role model. He has been successful everywhere he has been. He has the knowledge and leadership skills for our kids. It's not like we have the ultimate choice who we hire but you shouldn't bash or disqualify someone for applying for a job. We don't know why certain people get hired or not. Let's talk facts here. Proven track record, experienced and knowledgeable. Sounds like he's qualified to me.

Good luck to whomever gets this job. Recruiting and reaching out to your own kids so they do not leave is a must. But, if they do not allow the new HC to bring in his own staff then it will fail. That is the biggest problem with most El Paso schools, most school do not allow new Head Coaches to bring in the staff that they want. They should be allowed first and foremost to bring in for sure their OC and DC, and allow them to interview the current staff to see if there is anyone that they would like to retain. If they are not going to retain them then pieces should be moved. If they coach multiple sports I understand they still have that job and they need their teaching job, but the Principals and District need to be open minded and make things happen so that new coaches can get the people they need in order for them to be successful. If this is done correctly like it is in most parts of the state then will be able to hold Head Coaches truly accountable for the results on the field, but when a new coach has to keep 80 or 90% of the staff, then I'm sorry I cannot blame that head coach for wins and losses. Again, good luck to the applicants and good luck to Hanks moving forward.

Lots of luck to whomever gets this head coaching job

The list are usuals most are looking for a shot.

None of them have HC Experience except :

Veliz one year at Onate and removed

Grahm success at Burges and jumped at Socorro, Bad Move, nobody wins there, he would still be winning at Burges. Would win at Hanks

OC Franklin heard a good guy, been on a winner is he ready

OC Eastwood, Lopez calls the plays

Torres DWI should get another chance one day.

Find it hilarious how the DWI continues to be raised on that coach. If you all were to dig deep into every high school coach you will bring things to light. No one is perfect. Dig!!!

No one is more qualified for this job than Thomas. Being an Alumni and his offensive success the past couple years at Bel Air. Thomas should get the job.

Word around SISD is that Blair pulled his name last minute from Socorro job. . Seems he’s got the inside on landing Hanks job. . Don’t blame him for it. . . He’s got a decent staff that has produced Ws last two years and got a ton of talent coming back. . Hope he gets his shot he’s a great coach, teacher, and family man with tons of roots in the Hanks community

BigMo
Word around SISD is that Blair pulled his name last minute from Socorro job. . Seems he’s got the inside on landing Hanks job. . Don’t blame him for it. . . He’s got a decent staff that has produced Ws last two years and got a ton of talent coming back. . Hope he gets his shot he’s a great coach, teacher, and family man with tons of roots in the Hanks community
Blair is a solid choice. Is he the best HC candidate out there. Probably not. But he's a great teacher, respected by kids. Hanks isn't the Mecca of football. Not even close. It'll be tough district but remember they don't play Eastwood, eldorado, Eastlake, etc.. for district. Price found out it wasn't what he thought. HC in highschool is a different game. Alot of it comes down to staff. If kids would not go there for freaking Arron Price the QB whisperer. You think they'll go there for a lesser name? Kids don't know Thomas, veliz, etc from the neighbor down the street. Blair and Hanks is a good fit. Most any other coach would be using the job as a stepping stone. Ala Price... Blair has roots there...

Dante
No one is more qualified for this job than Thomas. Being an Alumni and his offensive success the past couple years at Bel Air. Thomas should get the job.
The problem with Thomas isn’t his coaching abilities or that he is a hanks alum ... but it’s about what you have done lately and they all just got fired for not winning so everybody knows that... he needs to go somewhere and win and win a lot ... that’s what scoggins did coming from Parkland ... same with other coaches ... graham won at burges... Martinez got ysleta when bel air was winning ... recorder is coming off Coronado having a decent year... I think OC from Eastwood is an awesome dude I know him but he isn’t ready plus you are right Lopez calls all the plays...Hanks needs a young energic person that is a part of a winning program ... and I think Hanks admin knows that and they know who they want.... I also don’t think they will hire a person out of district ... teachers are being moved due to attendance so how can they justify bringing in a guy from out of district when they are moving quite a few teachers there at hanks ... just my opinion ... could be wrong

And if they do hire a person out of district I promise he will not be able to bring in any coordinators with him... and does the new HC want that ... something to consider

Chingon
Dante
The problem with Thomas isn’t his coaching abilities or that he is a hanks alum ... but it’s about what you have done lately and they all just got fired for not winning so everybody knows that... he needs to go somewhere and win and win a lot ... that’s what scoggins did coming from Parkland ... same with other coaches ... graham won at burges... Martinez got ysleta when bel air was winning ... recorder is coming off Coronado having a decent year... I think OC from Eastwood is an awesome dude I know him but he isn’t ready plus you are right Lopez calls all the plays...Hanks needs a young energic person that is a part of a winning program ... and I think Hanks admin knows that and they know who they want.... I also don’t think they will hire a person out of district ... teachers are being moved due to attendance so how can they justify bringing in a guy from out of district when they are moving quite a few teachers there at hanks ... just my opinion ... could be wrong
“Chingon “ why so much hate against Thomas??. . You’re exhausting so much time and energy bashing this guy it’s incredible. . Really feel for you bro. . Let go of the hate brother, we get it you don’t like him. . Good luck on your bid for this job hopefully you are highly qualified to lead the Knights. . Good luck coach Thomas you are obviously a great candidate if they take all the time to try to crush you

X1234
Chingon
Dante
“Chingon “ why so much hate against Thomas??. . You’re exhausting so much time and energy bashing this guy it’s incredible. . Really feel for you bro. . Let go of the hate brother, we get it you don’t like him. . Good luck on your bid for this job hopefully you are highly qualified to lead the Knights. . Good luck coach Thomas you are obviously a great candidate if they take all the time to try to crush you
Not bashing him just realist

I’ll be back in a couple of weeks to remind you again why he didn’t get it ..lol

random question, does anyone know if YISD plans to consolidate Desert View and Indian Ridge like they did to Valley View/Camino Real & Hillcrest/Ranchland? If Yes, what site will they be using?

That would really help Hanks as the the future Knights would be playing and learning from each other since 7th grade instead of freshman year.

Don't see this happening in near future as the current new combined MS were part of this past bond. No mention of these campuses were part of the bond.

NO because the people in the area voted against it. . Hanks Middle would of been built were Desert View is and Indian Ridge would of become an aquatic center/rec center for the community. . The community voted it down because it would not be fair for the kids that live around Indian ridge to have to commute and it would cut down on the opportunities for them to play sport for one school instead of two. . Typical EP mentality afraid of growth smh

Weird how how the position is still open but Interviews went on all day today here at central. . Interesting. . Thoughts??

Turning the program around and creating a winning culture is top priority for Hanks but whoever gets the HC position needs to bring back the Ron Durkes era Home Uniforms: Red Jerseys, Black Pants and blacl Helmet.. just saying!

I haven't heard anyone mention the fact that Hanks returns the number one QB in the district who is a sophomore and the number one receiver in the city, I believe he's top 5 in the state. they'll have some fire power next year. It's an offense coordinators dream. Given the district they are playing in they should be looking strong if they can put a few pieces together. Price could never keep other teams from scoring but he did put up a lot of points. Should be a fun team to watch with these two kids. Hope they get a Coach who gets the best out of them.

News flash Coach Blair finally got a HC position.... He had been telling everyone that the job was his and it was a done deal. Probably explains why a lot of coaches didn’t apply, that’s too bad ... Here’s the kicker hiring panel was composed of Blair supporters, his daughters played for one of the coaches on the panel and he was an assistant for her, he was also an assistant for another coach on that panel, and all teachers on the panel knew him and wanted him, also found out that a person on the panel is a coaches wife ... what a committee... way to go Hanks... when they want someone they make it happen.

Senior Parent
Coach Garcia the baseball coach? I don't think he'll be applying for that position.

Wrestlers make the best football players
Senior Parent
My son will be a senior next year and I was really looking forward to him expanding on the success of the past two years. It really angers me that instead of him and the team flourishing they will regress and now need learn a new system of play calling or even a new offense. Coach Garcia would be my pick but I\'d settle for Blair . . .Really hope they choose from within
Coach Garcia the baseball coach? I don't think he'll be applying for that position.
Dude keep up!! . . Read the post above it’s Blair job now who cares if that guy applied or not. The obvious winner is the new HC

Senior Parent
Coach Garcia, as in Omar Garcia? Yeah right. He's not a football coach. That man is a baseball coach that takes on football for the extra stipend.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m