​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who will be the First team to win a state championship in El Paso?

Personally, I think it would be nearly impossible for an El Paso team to win a state championship, ONLY because our talent is scattered across the city. Also I got to visit several elite programs over the spring, and boy oh boy are we underserving our kiddos. In areas like Austin and Dallas per se, they are training their kids much harder than anything I’ve seen in El Paso, and personally after seeing how big the gap is between central Texas and El Paso, I’m not sure if I’d want to send my kid to an El Paso school over central Texas. I am and always have been loyal to El Paso. But until we start better preparing our kids, and once the talent isn’t split up, then that team can win a state championship. We are a long ways away though...

Re: Who will be the First team to win a state championship in El Paso?

Be careful.....Westsider, Edgar, and Coach had their feelings hurt when I posted about the talent gap between our kids and others in Texas. I do not see a State title in the near future at all. Way to much talent across Texas. Also, I get tired hearing we have too many schools and talent is spread out. That may by us a trip to maybe the fourth round, but that is it. With the exception of those few kids, we don't have the huge, quick, agile kids. Sorry.

Now, if Fort Bliss were to gain 35,000 troops and all those kids went to one school, we may have a chance.

How about when many of our coaches quit worrying about how good their team looks. 3-4 different colored helmets along with 4 different jerseys and 4 different pairs of pants for 10 games is pretty much stupid. Use that money on training equipment.

Very very true

Maybe Riverside can win it all once they drop to 4a, and if they can get their act together.

One of you is saying we don't have the talent in El Paso and the other is saying the coaches here don't train the kids hard enough. My opinion is you can't train a 5'11" 240lbs OL enough to make him 6'5" 300lbs. You can't train a 5'9" 175Lbs RB hard enough to make him 6'1" 220lbs. You can train a kid hard to take him from running a 4.8 40 yd to running a 4.6/4.65, but you won't make that kid run a 4.4.

Also, I don't buy that excuse of the talent is too spread out. Other cities have more than one school too. People move to Allen to have their kids go there, for several sports. Is there a donor I am not aware of in El Paso that will pay for the facilities like Allen? Then will El Paso create ghost teaching jobs and assistant AD jobs so that coaches will be able to spend their time prepping for their sport? There are schools all over the country that do stuff like that. Massillon Ohio used to get dads jobs in steel mills to entice their kids to come to their school in the 60's and 70's.

I can only speak to my experience in El Paso with a few programs, but from what I have seen, only the coaches care about putting a program together to compete at a state level, definitely not administration. I have been a part of programs either with my kids, as a fan or coaching in seven states. El Paso has the least amount of media coverage, administrative support of anywhere I have lived.

I agree with you Cougar+Transplant. I never have bought into the "too many schools" etc.... There are certain schools in Texas that are guaranteed to be good, whether it be tradition or money or whatever. Allen, Austin Lake Travis, Southlake Carroll, etc... Those 3 in particular have MONEY that flows into the football from boosters. You do actually have parents who have top level athletes who do move to those areas to play ball. This is not EP football nor will it ever be.

Numbers do not guarantee success for those that argue our kids are spread out due to too many schools. For Example: Plano - 5,197, Plano East - 5,342, Plano West - 5,654 Neither has been a contender in FB. SChools of 2200, 2800, 2900, and 2900 in that District fare better off than them.

Money flowing to booster and studs as starters not just 1 or 2 of the skill players but throughout the oline and dline.

And then the cherry on top
DEPTH with studs

A El Paso team has never had that fortunate combination and never will. NEVER!!!!!

Canutillo a few years ago was a fluke. A glitch in the matrix.

A valley team will make a state final before an el paso team makes to the 4th rd. Thats how far fetched i see a state title coming to el paso

Tx
A valley team will make a state final before an el paso team makes to the 4th rd. Thats how far fetched i see a state title coming to el paso
Either you don't know anything about football or you're a comedian and want someone to say Canutillo.

Canutillo in 2014 made it to the fourth round of the playoffs.

Tx
A valley team? Please!! I'll put our kids against the Valley anytime. And this comes from a guy who is critical at times of our talent when compared to the rest of Texas. But, A Valley Team??????????

The valley only makes it far because their path to the playoffs is through the valley, not Odessa or other teams in the Permian basin or panhandle. We have a much much harder path out than the valley

so the fact that this is a conversation is appalling. It does not matter how much money, time, effort, or training you pump into the city's athletic programs. The mijos aren't going to be talented enough to win state. Accept your genetics. The schools that win state have double digit kids that are division 1 kids, the entire city of el paso has a few. That math doesn't add up.

"The mijos aren't going to be talented enough to win state. Accept your genetics." That is what is appalling.

There are countless examples of the most talented team not winning at all levels of football. It will take a special group to overcome some disadvantages, but not impossible.

Lol put the best valley team vs the best el paso team. Id assure you the valley team will win 10/10. Brownsville hanna handled tascosa and tascosa didnt have problems with any ep team. They werent even the best valley team. The best valley team was vela who ended up losing to westlake 21-0 when they had to play their 3rd string qb. El pasos individual talent is way above the rgv but id still take an rgv team. Its the truth i love el paso football but dont be offended. The rgvs path is similar in difficulty to el pasos. San Antonio and austin schools after the second rd. In 5a they go straight to the coastal bend and San Antonio area in round 1. Stop the excuses. Id put the rgv under west texas/panhandle football in overrall football and on top of ep/ laredo/ coastal bend football

Rudy
Tx
Either you don't know anything about football or you're a comedian and want someone to say Canutillo.

Canutillo in 2014 made it to the fourth round of the playoffs.
Were talking future.... if you want to talk past we can talk about a 1961 state title thats in the rgv... ridiculous aint it, i dont ever consider that title a thing bcs it wont happen anytime soon south of san antonio atleast at the 6a level

Just going to leave this right here

The 2019 NFL Draft Size Averages:

6’0|197 - CB
6’0|202 - SAF
6’3|307 - DL
6’4|263 - DE
6’1|237 - ILB
6’3|250 - OLB
6’4|312 - C/G
6’5|314 - OT
6’4|251 - TE
5’10|211 - RB
6’2|219 - QB
6’1|203 - WR

Not really following what you mean by this please elaborate

in 6A The Valley has to go through another Valley team in Rd 1 and 2....then they get Austin or San Antonio Rd 3 & 4 then Houston in Rd 5
El Paso has to play West Texas in Rd 1 and then DFW in Rd 2,3 and 4...then if they get to Rd 5 its another DFW team, Austin, North Houston or East Texas...which route would you pick?

The best teams in the Valley are typically on par w/the best teams in El Paso, I think last year with Hanna and Vela was an unusually strong Valley year in 6A

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m