​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Would El Paso teams be more competitive if we played in New Mexico?

I am very curious to see what people think about this, I personally think that El Paso would run the table for state championships in New Mexico. Given my T-Birds beat Carlsbad last year, who was a top ten team in the state, and we weren’t the best team in the city last year. I absolutely believe El Paso would dominate New Mexico high school football, would there be a way where El Paso could compete in New Mexico?

Re: Would El Paso teams be more competitive if we played in New Mexico?

I think an El Paso team can certainly compete for a title in New Mexico but I dont think it would be as easy as you think. Coronado did beat Carlsbad 10-9, but Carlsbad only won 4 games and didnt even make the playoffs.

Franklin played the number 2 team in Rio Rancho Cleveland and lost 35-21.

But I do think would win NM state titles but it wouldn't be an annual thing. Plus, if El Paso became part of New Mexico they would lose funding big time which will complicate things. New Mexico Head Coaching stipends are in the 7000 dollar range and their budgets are in the 6-8000 thousand range.

Being from NM I think EP could definitely compete in NM state playoffs, but winning a state title would not be easy. All 6A and 5A schools in EP would play in the 6A level in NM, as most of the 5A schools in EP have a higher enrollment than Cruces High. Combining EP in the playoffs would make games more competitive with depth. As of lately the state title has been won by the schools up north.

Why would any team from Texas want to play competitively in New Mexico, or any other neighboring state? It is a good question for discussion and I think top El Paso teams would fair greatly in the state of New Mexico and would compete annually for state titles, but we live and play in the greatest state in the country and for me to even think about playing football in another state is mind blowing. It is a funny topic and I am curious to see how many people think this is actually a good idea, because this is a TERRIBLE IDEA!!!!

Look don’t get me wrong I love Texas as much as the next guy. But to be completely real I have no idea the next time we are going to gave a canutillo type season. Players east of El Paso are on a much higher level than us and that is FACT. It’s why I’m 6A no one hardly ever makes it out of Odessa. If we were to compete in New Mexico, we would have a MUCH better shot of winning a state championship. Don’t get me wrong, I love TXHSFB, but considering it takes us 8 hours to drive to the likes of Austin and DFW, it just makes so much more sense to play in New Mexico.

El Paso's district champs would compete for state titles in NM

Everyone is correct

the DFW is a large hurdle to overcome.

A good preview on how El Paso teams would stack up in NM is happening this Friday in El Paso. As one of EP’s best teams (Franklin) is playing one of NM’s best team (Cleveland) It should be a good game and Franklin will have home field advantage but I’ll take Cleveland with a convincing win.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m