EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rangers vs Knights

Riverside or Hanks???. .who you got?. . Who gets to go to the Texas HS playoffs. . LETS GOOOO!!!

Re: Rangers vs Knights

So the loghts are out..people left and another losing Riverside football season. So anyone who was at the game last night overheard time and time people yelling ' change the play!' Stop running back to back plays. 3 rd down and 10 and you run the 25th qb draw play!!?? Are you kidding me? Unbelievable...this coach recoder is a lineman calling offensive plays that are non strategic or creative. He is very predictable, the kids were lead into holes time and time again..all season. His playbook has 20 qb draws...??

Is it too early to startooking for another coach @ Riverside? If not the next years will be painful. The only save is to move to 4A and play 8th grade football. Terrible leadership...and he still tweets grat season...c'mon man!! He isnt fooling anyone...

RiverSide Ftbl
So the loghts are out..people left and another losing Riverside football season. So anyone who was at the game last night overheard time and time people yelling ' change the play!' Stop running back to back plays. 3 rd down and 10 and you run the 25th qb draw play!!?? Are you kidding me? Unbelievable...this coach recoder is a lineman calling offensive plays that are non strategic or creative. He is very predictable, the kids were lead into holes time and time again..all season. His playbook has 20 qb draws...??

Is it too early to startooking for another coach @ Riverside? If not the next years will be painful. The only save is to move to 4A and play 8th grade football. Terrible leadership...and he still tweets grat season...c'mon man!! He isnt fooling anyone...
Riverside have some studs. But the problem is not the coaching, is the number of players on roster. Why don't you all cancel the JV team and move them up to varsity to get bigger number of players and maybe your coaches can actually coach to your guys expectations.

I disagree, Riverside was very successful running the ball. Hanks was not able to stop their counter plays off the different formations. If coach Recoder would of been more patient and kept running the Qb draws and running plays he might of pulled off the win. He did a lot with what he had (inherited). His qb was obviously very limited skill wise and arm wise. The kid was unable to get passes delivered and that lead to multiple turnovers which cost them the game. Exciting game tho. . Go Knights!!

Are you kidding me? Riverside has studs? Their tallest player tight end plays scared all the time. There are no true athletes, they did play with heart I give them that. So it turns out their coach did just what you mentioned...he tried to ca up everyone to play hanks..sophmores from jv..freshmans..if he could get adults to wear the uniform he would have..lol..it was an emergency to try to save his coaching season from what the word is...and yup. Its the coaching...hanks coaches were truly surprised how predictable his playcalling...some hanks players were saying their qb was upset at his coach for trying to run draw after draw...players need to spend more time at gym and perhaps work on their skilled positions. Or..get a new Coach.

I've been living in EP for 8 yrs now. Yes I agree coaching is poor but at the same time gets uplifting as long as they win a BI District championship. Next yr dont make the playoffs its fire the coach. Ok we haven't seen a decent coach since coach P DV and up coming Melton AHS. It takes coaches that's going to teach fundamentals and attitude since its being missed at city league. EP is not a Fbll focus city just look at homecomings and Sr nights. CRICKETS...but I can say that things are improving thanks to EP Gridiron and Ed Stansbury trying hard spark a fire. Their is talent in EP but it takes a fa real fa real coach & parent to tell that athlete" Hey U R EP good but you can be a whole lot better".

So here's is part of the problem...In the old days, players would have full weight training and conditioning. Today, from what some Riverside players say is that Coaches don't emphasize conditioning and much less weight training. The players are performing circuit training to fill in for actual weight training. It shows, the players are out of shape and not many players have the athletic body to action the playbook.

BallerUS
So here's is part of the problem...In the old days, players would have full weight training and conditioning. Today, from what some Riverside players say is that Coaches don't emphasize conditioning and much less weight training. The players are performing circuit training to fill in for actual weight training. It shows, the players are out of shape and not many players have the athletic body to action the playbook.
You are right, my kid goes to off season work outs but he always say the coaches are just there joking among themselves and playing music and some players are there goofing off and the ones that are trying to actually work out and improve the coaches do not help them or teach them to lift properly. Also they have the 7 on 7 flags for the skills players and no one coaches those players is the QB been the leader but when the QB sucks how is him or others improving there skills and also why would you allowed line man play on 7 on 7 the only lineman that should be playing is the center, our coaches allowed all lineman to play and they are running routes in slow motion lol....those are our coaches and football team! Cmon Man!

BallerUS
Old days new days there's been trash in both. If you have to wait on a coach to tell you to do weight training and wowww conditioning. You are probably not a competitive a0thlete. If it's not in your head to be stronger and faster than your opponent... you just might not be a competitive athlete. Like I said there's some talent out here, but no drive, no attitude to want to be better long as I'm EP Good. And not all kids but fa real fa real its dmn sure the vast majority.

Fa real fa real
BallerUS
So here\'s is part of the problem...In the old days, players would have full weight training and conditioning. Today, from what some Riverside players say is that Coaches don\'t emphasize conditioning and much less weight training. The players are performing circuit training to fill in for actual weight training. It shows, the players are out of shape and not many players have the athletic body to action the playbook.
Old days new days there's been trash in both. If you have to wait on a coach to tell you to do weight training and wowww conditioning. You are probably not a competitive a0thlete. If it's not in your head to be stronger and faster than your opponent... you just might not be a competitive athlete. Like I said there's some talent out here, but no drive, no attitude to want to be better long as I'm EP Good. And not all kids but fa real fa real its dmn sure the vast majority.
I agree, if your waiting for a coach to have you get stronger and faster then you are already behind. The most successful programs have a off season and summer weight training and conditioning. But they also have players that are about getting better on their own. If you talk to the top players in the country they will tell you that they are doing work on their own, going to developmental camps and working with trainers. That is what separates EP from other parts of Texas, the commitment to doing the outside of school work that elite athletes are doing elsewhere.

Ike
Fa real fa real
BallerUS
So here\\\'s is part of the problem...In the old days, players would have full weight training and conditioning. Today, from what some Riverside players say is that Coaches don\\\'t emphasize conditioning and much less weight training. The players are performing circuit training to fill in for actual weight training. It shows, the players are out of shape and not many players have the athletic body to action the playbook.
Old days new days there\'s been trash in both. If you have to wait on a coach to tell you to do weight training and wowww conditioning. You are probably not a competitive a0thlete. If it\'s not in your head to be stronger and faster than your opponent... you just might not be a competitive athlete. Like I said there\'s some talent out here, but no drive, no attitude to want to be better long as I\'m EP Good. And not all kids but fa real fa real its dmn sure the vast majority.
I agree, if your waiting for a coach to have you get stronger and faster then you are already behind. The most successful programs have a off season and summer weight training and conditioning. But they also have players that are about getting better on their own. If you talk to the top players in the country they will tell you that they are doing work on their own, going to developmental camps and working with trainers. That is what separates EP from other parts of Texas, the commitment to doing the outside of school work that elite athletes are doing elsewhere.
Preach 2'em Ike.

Fa real fa real
Ike
Fa real fa real
BallerUS
So here\\\\\\\'s is part of the problem...In the old days, players would have full weight training and conditioning. Today, from what some Riverside players say is that Coaches don\\\\\\\'t emphasize conditioning and much less weight training. The players are performing circuit training to fill in for actual weight training. It shows, the players are out of shape and not many players have the athletic body to action the playbook.
Old days new days there\\\'s been trash in both. If you have to wait on a coach to tell you to do weight training and wowww conditioning. You are probably not a competitive a0thlete. If it\\\'s not in your head to be stronger and faster than your opponent... you just might not be a competitive athlete. Like I said there\\\'s some talent out here, but no drive, no attitude to want to be better long as I\\\'m EP Good. And not all kids but fa real fa real its dmn sure the vast majority.
Preach 2'em Ike.
Ike- not that simple. Resouces. Resource thinking..if you follow me. The top players in the country have at times..at times analytics, foundations, proxies, mentors etc. To work with. The football players have a mentality to do the minimum. To add, Riverside has no booster club, no community involvments. The coach made a huge error at the beginning of his coaching tenure. HE NEGLECTED THE COMMUNITY AND ADVICE. HE THOUGHT HE NEW IT ALL. Yes Riverside has parent support, they have cheering and 'andale mijo!'but coaches know the parents and the players. Agree with parents on everything to collect your paycheck. Dont make my son run coach! Too much weights coach, he wont grow! Excuses...excuses. The Riverside coach came from a coronado program that parents were vocal! He put in more effort bcuz of that, he was held accountable... Now @riverside he knows he has to just do the minimum. Watch next year same talent level same outcome! Same big EGO at the coaching level.

Oh-Des-Sa!
Fa real fa real
Ike
Fa real fa real
BallerUS
So here\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s is part of the problem...In the old days, players would have full weight training and conditioning. Today, from what some Riverside players say is that Coaches don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t emphasize conditioning and much less weight training. The players are performing circuit training to fill in for actual weight training. It shows, the players are out of shape and not many players have the athletic body to action the playbook.
Old days new days there\\\\\\\'s been trash in both. If you have to wait on a coach to tell you to do weight training and wowww conditioning. You are probably not a competitive a0thlete. If it\\\\\\\'s not in your head to be stronger and faster than your opponent... you just might not be a competitive athlete. Like I said there\\\\\\\'s some talent out here, but no drive, no attitude to want to be better long as I\\\\\\\'m EP Good. And not all kids but fa real fa real its dmn sure the vast majority.
Preach 2\'em Ike.
Ike- not that simple. Resouces. Resource thinking..if you follow me. The top players in the country have at times..at times analytics, foundations, proxies, mentors etc. To work with. The football players have a mentality to do the minimum. To add, Riverside has no booster club, no community involvments. The coach made a huge error at the beginning of his coaching tenure. HE NEGLECTED THE COMMUNITY AND ADVICE. HE THOUGHT HE NEW IT ALL. Yes Riverside has parent support, they have cheering and 'andale mijo!'but coaches know the parents and the players. Agree with parents on everything to collect your paycheck. Dont make my son run coach! Too much weights coach, he wont grow! Excuses...excuses. The Riverside coach came from a coronado program that parents were vocal! He put in more effort bcuz of that, he was held accountable... Now @riverside he knows he has to just do the minimum. Watch next year same talent level same outcome! Same big EGO at the coaching level.
Elite schools like IMG and Bosco's...those are the type.of schools that have a system of checks and balances. Leadership is accountable and look to improve at any expense..even if the coach has to admit errors. Most coaches refuse to admit their errors. This is where iylt starts. From the top. El Paso will never get to a state football championship until a school or team comes around and looks to fix the mentality to do the minimum. Work out players at skilled positions and start early a feeder programs and city leagues. City and school coaches need to talk to each other. Until then Bel Air ..Eastwood ..Riverside...those glory days are lost.

Exactly what I'm talking bout. With out a State championship what glory days are you talking about and you didn't even mention Canutilo's run. I'll say it again just being EP good is not good enough. Not yet anyways. Stop lying to these kids. Bump that I'll say it. Kids please listen!!!!. If your school isn't blowing out teams in your district by 40 50 points, get a state championship out of your head. Parents please listen, stop telling your kids about your so call glory days.

Fa Real...is not the brightest tool in the shed is he? Not sure you comprehend what is meant by ' glory days' its not about a punching a ticket to state...lol...but good try though. I give you credit for partially understanding things. But you do have a grasp about what is meant about work in the trenches and a solid foundation in order to compete outside of the 915 area code.

AmerikasB
Fa Real...is not the brightest tool in the shed is he? Not sure you comprehend what is meant by ' glory days' its not about a punching a ticket to state...lol...but good try though. I give you credit for partially understanding things. But you do have a grasp about what is meant about work in the trenches and a solid foundation in order to compete outside of the 915 area code.
Sometimes the simplest tool in the shed is used to fix the brightest tool in the shed. It sounded like you were hyping up those schools mention in your last sentence for something they might have achieved in the past. If not I do apologize for misunderstanding your quote.

Gary is doing a good job over at riverside... he has brought back pride to the school and community his players play hard for him and his staff... when Tom work first got the job at riverside they went 500 ... it takes time to build culture especially at riverside where they haven’t won in years ... cut him some slack he is doing his best with what he has to work with...

Well this is an amusing thread to read before work! I have worked in the RHS area in the schools for the past 19 years. The community is diminishing in school aged population. This is tough when building a program. Let’s realize also that at the last realignment RHS just missed being 4-A by a few kids. So you basically had a 4-A team competing in a 5-A conference the past two years. The Past is the past. And this goes for all schools!! Give them a chance the next two years in 4-A.

Falconfeather..19 years in the RHS area? I beat you by 6 years...i am deeply involved the community-based programs, I know many of the kids...i think you are not seeing things clearly..you can have 20 kids...and form a football team...the attendance numbers are just excuses not to instill discipline and good conditioning programs. If you go to 4A it just means I'd rather not expect the best out my players...rather take an easier route. 4A football low attendance and little interest. The process starts with the mindset first...players before coaches. Right now its the comfort and the ways of the coaches. Players come second.

Lower the Valley is right. I agree with you man. The problem is that the truth is hard to swallow. Most people can't handle the truth. Most kids don't work out anymore. Snack food love handles, weightlifting and conditioning has been replaced by P.E.type workouts..circuit training. Accepting what is broken is the first step towards greatness.

Don’t get me wrong, if you want any type of successful team you have to have “a program”. From the development of the players in the system from middle school, to weights, discipline, community buy in, etc...... we can go on and on and we would agree.
But as an educator and a coach since 1990, society has changed from how we raise kids, to how kids act, to discipline, to the amount of dedication that kids want to put into something, and even the amount of kids involved in high school athletics due to more numerous things for them to do today.
The Tom Work era was years ago. I am sorry, but those days ARE gone. It is a different type of student and attitude now days. Yes, you can take 20 and develop a great team. But that 20 to form a great team from what you have walking around the halls is different from going out and finding 20 great kids who are already developed for success.
I am sorry but numbers do play a role. A smaller enrollment means a decrease in talent pool. Especially in FB. More kids have to play both ways, etc.... it’s everything. The band is smaller , hardly any flag girls, etc.... Why do you think we have an enrollment classification system in the first place?
If your such a supporter than you guys are already throwing the kids under the bus by comparing 4-A ball to junior high ball and less interest. That’s bull! Embrace the move and start building on it! Coaches don’t turn stuff around overnight. I see nothing but excitement at all levels when they win and succeed.
I’m not here saying what the coaches are doing is right or wrong, as I do not know. But I do know that numbers and changes over the years do make a difference.

FalconFeather
Well this is an amusing thread to read before work! I have worked in the RHS area in the schools for the past 19 years. The community is diminishing in school aged population. This is tough when building a program. Let’s realize also that at the last realignment RHS just missed being 4-A by a few kids. So you basically had a 4-A team competing in a 5-A conference the past two years. The Past is the past. And this goes for all schools!! Give them a chance the next two years in 4-A.
Enrollment and participation makes a huge difference. They were competing with teams with 200-250 more males. Who knows how many less players in their program. Even in 4A they will have to compete with Clint and Mountain View. Those teams are tough and wont go down easy.

Years and years ago I went to a school with low participation in the FB program. Enrollment was about same as Riverside now. JV had 15 or so kids. Varsity maybe 30 some. It took a coaching change and 4-5 years of program building to get those numbers up and playoff runs later. It takes time. It takes the right coach too!

Exactly! I was listening to Les Miles the coach at Kansas now and he said it’s just not getting the players, but it is having to change and create an entire new culture. And that does not happen overnight.

Are you kidding me and the rest of this smart forum..." Clint, Mountainview are tough teams and won't go down easy.." WOW...now I've heard it all...is this a 4-6 coach writing this? Lol...Amusing.. its like educating a rock.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m