EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parkland Strength Schedule

With Parkland losing 35-14 to a terrible Wichita Falls team (finished 3-7); makes me wonder as a fan when they will schedule teams that actually challenge them in their pre-district games. Coaching and not preparing their athletes for better competition is what doomed them in this round

Re: Parkland Strength Schedule

SOS
With Parkland losing 35-14 to a terrible Wichita Falls team (finished 3-7); makes me wonder as a fan when they will schedule teams that actually challenge them in their pre-district games. Coaching and not preparing their athletes for better competition is what doomed them in this round
I watched the Hanks and Parkland games and one thing that struck me was the overall size difference of the players. Both Wichita Falls teams were much bigger overall than the El Paso teams.......

If you added up the heights of all the starters and compared them.

We have so many teams waste money traveling out of town to play stronger teams. Sorry, it has not worked. When you get of EP the athlete is much different in football. Not putting down our kids, but it is a totally different kid of game and it is made up of bigger, faster, stronger kids. It’s not gonna change.

FalconFeather
We have so many teams waste money traveling out of town to play stronger teams. Sorry, it has not worked. When you get of EP the athlete is much different in football. Not putting down our kids, but it is a totally different kid of game and it is made up of bigger, faster, stronger kids. It’s not gonna change.
What do you think helped Canutillo in their 2014 run? Or Del Valle? Let me list the teams Canutillo played in the years before and during their run:

2011 - Coronado
2012 - Eastwood, Montwood
2013 - Frenship, Montwood
2014 - Franklin, Eastwood

Only one of those was a team outside of El Paso. The rest were teams in a higher classification and schools about twice the size of Canutillo. Those were usually playoff teams in 6A.

Teams from 5A should try and play top 6A teams from the city!

NewYear
FalconFeather
What do you think helped Canutillo in their 2014 run? Or Del Valle? Let me list the teams Canutillo played in the years before and during their run:

2011 - Coronado

Only one of those was a team outside of El Paso. The rest were teams in a higher classification and schools about twice the size of Canutillo. Those were usually playoff teams in 6A.

I agree

NewYear
FalconFeather

2011 - Coronado

I agree
I definitely agree. Hey Dude, I also agree with you as well. Off season, off season, during season, drills, drills, drills, and motivation but most importantly how all of that applys to the field. Yes the majority of the time we dont match up with size, strength, or speed but I see our kids giving thier all in or out of town tyrna win. F it I'm gonna cut all this short and just say that coaching here is a joke. No adjustments and I talking about simple ***** Shots out to coach Melton "Americas" I think you are heading in the right direction. Aim high and Keep building. Bump a dmn Bi district

Like I said earlier in the year Parkland is El Paso most overrated team!!!!Hats off to the kids that busted there tails but if the would have been challenged earlier in the season things could have been different.

It is not just about size like they've said here before it is what is done before and after the season, if you are trying to prepare for a run during the season it is too late you are already behind the rest of the state!

I’m all for playing tougher teams. There is no doubt that makes you a better team. 5-As like Parkland with talent should be playing 6-A kids. But even so, what hurts a team like Parkland is you go into District play and spend a month and a half playing weaker teams. That does not help. Maybe if schedule could be set up where you could play say a couple of non district games against tougher comp. towards end of district play. I’m just not a big fan of teams traveling 12 plus hours in September to play someone when they could easily play someone of same caliber in Odessa basin area. Then they come back and play a week district schedule. Really don’t think that helps.

FalconFeather
I’m all for playing tougher teams. There is no doubt that makes you a better team. 5-As like Parkland with talent should be playing 6-A kids. But even so, what hurts a team like Parkland is you go into District play and spend a month and a half playing weaker teams. That does not help. Maybe if schedule could be set up where you could play say a couple of non district games against tougher comp. towards end of district play. I’m just not a big fan of teams traveling 12 plus hours in September to play someone when they could easily play someone of same caliber in Odessa basin area. Then they come back and play a week district schedule. Really don’t think that helps.
Only teams I can remember doing that were Del Valle and Montwood. Eastwood. I believe Franklin played Copperas Cove but don’t know if they traveled all way to their place.

I see no issue if it is once a year. You also have to realize that some schools just don’t want to schedule some of the lower competition in the county. I agree that perhaps they could find better competition that is closer, Permian Basin or at worst the Panhandle. That is still closer than Austin or Dallas.

Fa real fa real
NewYear
FalconFeather

2011 - Coronado

I agree
I definitely agree. Hey Dude, I also agree with you as well. Off season, off season, during season, drills, drills, drills, and motivation but most importantly how all of that applys to the field. Yes the majority of the time we dont match up with size, strength, or speed but I see our kids giving thier all in or out of town tyrna win. F it I'm gonna cut all this short and just say that coaching here is a joke. No adjustments and I talking about simple ***** Shots out to coach Melton "Americas" I think you are heading in the right direction. Aim high and Keep building. Bump a dmn Bi district
Coaching is huge but that is only one of the reasons. Canutillo went to semifinals in 2014 then went 5-5 the vey next year with the same coaches but different players. I agree that coaching is big but historically EP players are smaller (you decide why that is). We don’t know if lb per lb EP kids are weaker. In 2014, Canutillo had talent and coaching. Sometimes the stars line up in just the right way and you get a good playoff draw. One more thing, there are some teams that EP teams can not match up with physically (speed, strength and sz). This is where coaching comes in to play and EP does have to get better. There is something no one ever wants to talk about.... demographics. Too sketchy to discuss? I’ll let you guys add your ¢2.

I give canutillo all the credit for a great season that yr. However, the stars lined up that yr as it is well documented that many of those kids had played together since they were little. Let’s remember, that the Permians and Lees of the olden days bred those kids to play football together since they were little, and middle schools ran the same plays, etc.... still do. There’s a gap in our coaches abilities to employee their personnel in our middle schools

EPOldSchool
Fa real fa real
NewYear
FalconFeather

2011 - Coronado

I agree
I definitely agree. Hey Dude, I also agree with you as well. Off season, off season, during season, drills, drills, drills, and motivation but most importantly how all of that applys to the field. Yes the majority of the time we dont match up with size, strength, or speed but I see our kids giving thier all in or out of town tyrna win. F it I\'m gonna cut all this short and just say that coaching here is a joke. No adjustments and I talking about simple ***** Shots out to coach Melton \"Americas\" I think you are heading in the right direction. Aim high and Keep building. Bump a dmn Bi district
Coaching is huge but that is only one of the reasons. Canutillo went to semifinals in 2014 then went 5-5 the vey next year with the same coaches but different players. I agree that coaching is big but historically EP players are smaller (you decide why that is). We don’t know if lb per lb EP kids are weaker. In 2014, Canutillo had talent and coaching. Sometimes the stars line up in just the right way and you get a good playoff draw. One more thing, there are some teams that EP teams can not match up with physically (speed, strength and sz). This is where coaching comes in to play and EP does have to get better. There is something no one ever wants to talk about.... demographics. Too sketchy to discuss? I’ll let you guys add your ¢2.
I just noticed from watching the video streams. In both games, it looked like JV lining up against Varsity size-wise. Normally, I attend every possible/affordable out of town game in the playoffs. In the past, I hadn't noticed the size difference as much in person. On a computer screen, really noticeable.

I’ve only seen a few playoff games in person. El Paso vs Permian or Panhandle teams.

It always came down to the same ole things. Penalties, muffed punt returns. Bad turnovers. Dropped passes at the worst times. It wasn’t always just a speed or size difference that caused the losses. Heck, who knows how Del Valle does bobs Cooper if they aren’t picked off like 6 times. At least 3 of those were returned for TDs. That’s just not acceptable.ya

I've been to near a hundred out of town El Paso games over the years. El Paso teams have gotten better, but other teams have improved too. I watch HS football all over Texas as a hobby and a trend I have noticed is the size, agility, and athleticism of all players is increasing to a level un-thinkable 20 years ago. When I was in high school, the biggest player on our team was 6'2, 235. The next was 225 and about 6 feet. All the rest were about 170-180. This year I saw a team with 3 offensive lineman over 400 lbs. The o'line averaged about 340. El Paso teams can compete, but need to develop game plans and techniques to get around the size difference they will face out of town. I believe playing only El Paso schools will hurt come play-off time. The El Paso teams generally don't have a lot of size and the tactics that work against each other ain't gonna cut it when play-off time arrives. Playing out of town teams early will give them exposure to what comes ahead in the play-offs. Maybe develop a game plan to get around the size difference.

Job security. 11-1 is all that matters. How can you be #1 and not play any 6A or big 5 A teams every year? Hope it changes but I have a feeling we will be here again talking about a weak schedule

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m