Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EP FB Offers

They are great for education though. Some of the best

That depends:

Sul Ross State $6,500 tuition
Austin College (Private) $37,000 tuition

I think we would all agree that Austin College is a well known private college for an education.

This is my concern with our kids getting recruited and not being told the entire story of just what they are left with as far as their share of paying for an education.

That is stupidity on the part of parents then. A parent needs to make a decision and look at what's left over after the aide that is offered is exhausted. Parents and kids are chasing that "offer" as a status symbol. Kids will choose to go to a d2 school for a 1000 dollar scholarship where they end up paying 20k to go to school, and over look a small school where they would pay 12k overall. It's all so they can say mijo got a scholarship.

It's like me being excited that my son was awarded a $4,000 academic scholarship to UT!! Sounds great. But I am stuck paying the other $15,0000 - $20,000 a year after adding up the room and board and tuition not covered by the whopping $4,000 scholarship.

I am all for kids getting scholarships but I am hopeful that they truly get the info on all levels of colleges. AND most importantly, does the school you end p going to have the DEGREE FIELD that they want. After all, this it is a 99.5% chance that that will be the end of their FB career and you want a job doing something you really want to do.

FalconFeather
It's like me being excited that my son was awarded a $4,000 academic scholarship to UT!! Sounds great. But I am stuck paying the other $15,0000 - $20,000 a year after adding up the room and board and tuition not covered by the whopping $4,000 scholarship.

I am all for kids getting scholarships but I am hopeful that they truly get the info on all levels of colleges. AND most importantly, does the school you end p going to have the DEGREE FIELD that they want. After all, this it is a 99.5% chance that that will be the end of their FB career and you want a job doing something you really want to do.
That is exactly what I told my son and it is me being a realist, I told him when and if you get an offer insure that they have the field you want to study and career you want. Do not get all hyped up over college A giving you an offer with a good scholarship when they do not have the field of study over college B that has your field of study but offer less of a scholarship. It also helps that my son is in the top 15 of his class so he can go the academic scholarship route and try to walk on at a college that offers his field of study.

Excellent Parenting! So glad to hear it! Good luck with the young man!

Don't ever look past a private D3 school! Remember that D3 has zero athletic scholarship money, but most have great academic endowments. My oldest son played at Mount Union and won a national title there. The school was $42,000 per year. He received $35,000 in academic scholarships and then $5,000 per year in work study. His 2-4 years he earned a scholarship for having a 4.0 GPA. He graduated with zero student loan debt from an outstanding university. He now has the freedom to use student loans for his doctoral program instead of $100,000 debt for undergrad.

The key is to ask all the questions and wait to see what the financial out of pocket expense ends up. Many kids play D3 cheaper than just attending school at a state school. NAIA is a great option too as they have scholarship money and academic money with easier rules than NCAA. Evaluate based on the school, as mentioned above, for the academic fit first. Football ends for 99.9% of the kids not playing power 5. The education is why you are there.

Cougar Transplant
Don't ever look past a private D3 school! Remember that D3 has zero athletic scholarship money, but most have great academic endowments. My oldest son played at Mount Union and won a national title there. The school was $42,000 per year. He received $35,000 in academic scholarships and then $5,000 per year in work study. His 2-4 years he earned a scholarship for having a 4.0 GPA. He graduated with zero student loan debt from an outstanding university. He now has the freedom to use student loans for his doctoral program instead of $100,000 debt for undergrad.

The key is to ask all the questions and wait to see what the financial out of pocket expense ends up. Many kids play D3 cheaper than just attending school at a state school. NAIA is a great option too as they have scholarship money and academic money with easier rules than NCAA. Evaluate based on the school, as mentioned above, for the academic fit first. Football ends for 99.9% of the kids not playing power 5. The education is why you are there.
The key is getting and maintaining that 4.0 GPA which is not easy especially with hot girls around campus as a distraction and missing mommas homemade tortillas on top of getting discourage because little johnny boy is on the sidelines and not seeing any playing time.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m