EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
EP High

Any word on any possible candidates?

Re: EP High

Well all the el paso jobs go to franklin coaches. So I'm guessing torres or their dc

El Paso High seems like a prestigious job. The oldest high school in the city, that still attracts many student athletes from across the city. I believe they will take a good look within the program at the coordinators that Coach Morales had, and then possibly look outside. EPISD is known for promoting coordinators from within EPISD, so wouldn't surprise me if they made that same move again.

EPG
El Paso High seems like a prestigious job. The oldest high school in the city, that still attracts many student athletes from across the city. I believe they will take a good look within the program at the coordinators that Coach Morales had, and then possibly look outside. EPISD is known for promoting coordinators from within EPISD, so wouldn't surprise me if they made that same move again.
It is a prestigious job and school. You may have to get someone who has a connection with the school. Any former alumni that fit this criteria?

Am sure there some old alumns but am sure you are gonna get the same people that applied and failed to get the Chapin job apply at the High with no experience with that community

I worked and coached at EPHS way back in the mid 90's. I totally loved the school. EPHS is a very unique school with such storied history. And the Alumni Association is a major asset.

Let's face it. It is tough to win their year in and year out with enrollment and everything. HOWEVER, I believe that if you get the right person in there who truly loves to coach and teach kids, and truly pours his heart and soul into the community and students and alumni, you could really have something special. VB and Swimming are top notch programs. FB requires many more athletes and it is tough. But that does not mean that you can not walk into that situation and restore pride and create a school atmosphere where everyone is proud to say that they play for EPHS and attend EPHS.

We get so caught up in the District Championships and Play-Offs and all that. But sometimes we have to step back and realize that there is more to a high school experience. And along the way, a coach may be able to turn things around.

I would love too see some alum get that job I just hope whoever they get knows and has been apart of the HIGH but we will see I love what Chapin did bring back their own to lead that program

The finalists for the Chapin position were the two coordinators from Franklin (Warner & Martinez), the HC at San Eli (Aguilar), and the DC at Chapin (Chavez). All these guys were excellent candidates for Chapin but Warner was undoubtedly the best man for that job. With that said, EPISD had many quality candidates for that job besides the finalists and will have the same quality candidates for this one. A good alumni might be interested in returning to LA HIGH but if I were associated with the school I would want the best coach available. We shall see what happens. This is an exciting time for EP High!

SillyWabit
The finalists for the Chapin position were the two coordinators from Franklin (Warner & Martinez), the HC at San Eli (Aguilar), and the DC at Chapin (Chavez). All these guys were excellent candidates for Chapin but Warner was undoubtedly the best man for that job. With that said, EPISD had many quality candidates for that job besides the finalists and will have the same quality candidates for this one. A good alumni might be interested in returning to LA HIGH but if I were associated with the school I would want the best coach available. We shall see what happens. This is an exciting time for EP High!
Glad someone else said it. Its about time, how about we stop the good ole boy system and start hiring the best people.

Out of the Chapin favorites the coach from San Eli would be my pick. He actually won some games at a tough school

That makes me sad for San Eli, they get a decent coach and he jumps ship because they don't know how to take care of him.

Aguilar would be a nice fit at EP. Any word on if he is going to apply or stay at San Eli?

That’s always going to be the struggle at San Eli, keeping a bright young coach who’s invested in the program for the long haul. Aguilar is a West Side guy, might want to move closer to home. Either way, good things should be in store for El Paso High Football.

Aguilar did two years at San Eli... turned the program around and brought some excitement... could be time for him to move into a bigger high school and bigger district.

Any other coordinators our former head coaches out there that would be good for the job?

Tigerpride
I would love too see some alum get that job I just hope whoever they get knows and has been apart of the HIGH but we will see I love what Chapin did bring back their own to lead that program
My son is on the team so I got to see them scrimmage San Eli twice with the new coach. I was very impressed!! The team was very organized and their coaches ran up and down the field coaching the kids after every play. They are not the old school San Eli homecoming team we all used to know. I hope we’re able to get him. I would think we could offer him more money and as someone else said he would be closer to his home.

Does anyone know who has applied?

I HEARD BOTH OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS FROM BURGESS AND JEFF ARE GOING TO APPLY BOTH ARE YOUNG AND HAVE TIES TO LA HIGH FROM WHAT I KNOW THEY BOTH WORK HARD FOR THIER KIDS AND WILL BRING ALOT TO TIGER LAND COACH AT SAN ELI IS A GOOD COACH BUT IF I WAS HIM I WOULD WAIT FOR THE ANDRESS JOB TO OPEN UP NEXT YEAR JUST MY OPINION

The O.C at Burges has done a nice job under Coach Rutledge and that team is going to be tough to beat. I would wait for something better to come along but if he does apply that would definitely be a good hire for El Paso High. Is Andress going to open up?

Is it possible El Paso is really going in looking for the best candidate?? As an exTiger I am excited. For the last 3 or 4 years, everytime a job opened up we all knew who the next guy was going to be. Some as we know are promised a year in advance. It seems El Paso is doing it right so far. Anyone hear any real news??

No it's not. It's a done deal lol

how do you figure that would be a shame if thats the case

So San Eli has one good season, his first. If he is so good what happened during the second one? Jeff has never won, why should we go after one of those guys? Burgess plays in and did well in our district (where there is no competition). I say go out of district for this one. Good ok boy in full effect if it goes to Any of the guys that have been mentioned.

LaHogh
So San Eli has one good season, his first. If he is so good what happened during the second one? Jeff has never won, why should we go after one of those guys? Burgess plays in and did well in our district (where there is no competition). I say go out of district for this one. Good ok boy in full effect if it goes to Any of the guys that have been mentioned.
What the heck does good ok boy mean? Your La Hogh education is showing...

TIGERNATION
how do you figure that would be a shame if thats the case
Well in episd the trend is that it's done deals. Check the track record

GReat
LaHogh
What the heck does good ok boy mean? Your La Hogh education is showing...
I'm sure it should have been good ole boy but he has autocorrect

This is an excellent thread. I have been looking on MaxPreps for some history of the coaches mentioned here...

Coach Molina from Burges has been a finalist a few times before for other jobs. Coach Rutledge has done well at Burges and Molina has been his OC since 2016. His offense has scored many points but they also have a lot of talent in comparison to Jeff and El Paso.

Coach Aguilar from San Eli as someone pointed out won 6 in year one and 3 in year two. The decline in wins is questionable??? But still pretty good at San Eli the graveyard (next to Socorro) for coaches. 20.8 PPG

Coach Harris from Jefferson is in his first season as the OC. His offense averaged 17.9 PPG this year. Not much I could find online for him.

Luis Martinez hasn’t been mentioned but has been the OC at El Paso High the last couple of years. His offense has averaged 16.9 PPG. He is already at El Paso so it could be an easy hire if they liked what the previous coach did with the program.

Luis Martinez would be the man to go to if the administration and people around the program see the things that we always don't on the outside. To my understanding he's been the OC and even the DC at El Paso High in the last few years, showing that he's knowledgeable on both sides of the ball. EPISD does have a very strong tendency to promote good coordinators from within the district already. Martinez looks to fit that bill. Also, I believe his brother is the current HFC / AC at Jefferson HS.

Loco
Luis Martinez would be the man to go to if the administration and people around the program see the things that we always don't on the outside. To my understanding he's been the OC and even the DC at El Paso High in the last few years, showing that he's knowledgeable on both sides of the ball. EPISD does have a very strong tendency to promote good coordinators from within the district already. Martinez looks to fit that bill. Also, I believe his brother is the current HFC / AC at Jefferson HS.
Luis Martinez might have the inside track but I'm not sure this is the best option. Results show that the current staff at EPHS wasnt very productive. Hiring from within won't change things. I dont know if it was Escobedo leaving for Eastlake or the addition of Martinez, but since that change EPHS has been on a downward spiral.

El Paso has the potential to be successful. Its in the right part of town with a lot of history and alumni, and a dedicated fan base. Maybe that will attract some quality people to apply. Some of the guys mentioned here might be worthy, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully they make a splash by bringing in someone from outside the program.

Any word yet?

Job closed yesterday. Any word on who applied? Any coaches from 6A?

You all need to stop with all the wins and losses argument. We need to start judging these coaches based on weather or not the job is better after they showed up. Does the team look organized, disciplined, are the coaches doing their job preparing the kids for the game, or does it all just look like complete crap? I'm sorry but Bill Belichick will not go undefeated at San Eli or Jefferson. San Eli may have only won 3 games this year, but how did the team look? Were they competitive? Did the coaches put the players in position to be successful and it just didn't happen? That what needs to be looked at when you are looking for a Head Coach. Or you can look for coaches that come from schools that have the best players that always win thinking that somehow your school magically will start to win. I hope EP High finds a good one who truly cares about the kids and the community. If you do that everything else will fall into place, but make sure you give the coach a legitimate chance to be successful.

Well put

Well said. Real question, is there any coaches that are EP alumni? Or even from that area?

You all need to stop with all the wins and losses argument. We need to start judging these coaches based on weather or not the job is better after they showed up. Does the team look organized, disciplined, are the coaches doing their job preparing the kids for the game, or does it all just look like complete crap? I\'m sorry but Bill Belichick will not go undefeated at San Eli or Jefferson. San Eli may have only won 3 games this year, but how did the team look? Were they competitive? Did the coaches put the players in position to be successful and it just didn\'t happen? That what needs to be looked at when you are looking for a Head Coach. Or you can look for coaches that come from schools that have the best players that always win thinking that somehow your school magically will start to win. I hope EP High finds a good one who truly cares about the kids and the community. If you do that everything else will fall into place, but make sure you give the coach a legitimate chance to be successful.
This is the best thing that has been said here. We just want the guy that is best for the job.

The only ones that i know are coach molina that spend some time there and coach Harris that graduated from here and frontz but am sure he aint leaving parkland lol

Agilar from San Eli gonna be public on March 19

Interesting that they would announce during Spring Break 🤔. Makes me wonder if you're wrong...yep...you're probably wrong.

aguiar that guy wants out of san eli to move west he already applied at chapin why is that ok for him to keep applying at jobs just to make his gas milage less expensive till him gas is 1.90 now lol

I'm hearing there was some major unethical issues involved during the hiring process. Don't be surprised if they re-open this job again. EPISD at it's finest...

You didn't hear anything like that.

I think Aguilar would be a great choice, I love what he has done with San Elizario, he had a great first season still was able to muster off some wins in his 2nd season. The great thing though is he has been able to get a program that had little to no interest in football, too really buy into the program. He has helped increase the program's numbers made them more competitive and Id love to see what he can do with a school like EP High, he will have more athletes, bigger boosters, and a chance to implement his program with a different demographic of players. I think it would be a great opportunity for both him and the the EPHS football program.

I heard all the interviews were able to be seen by all the candidates before the committee viewed them and there were applicants left out of the process. The principal there has no clue and is picking his buddy, wait and see...

Aguilar come on the buddy system at its finish so he has the Aguilar name now he is the next big thing. Lol give me a break You got good coordinations at episd that are capable Episd has no clue you need some one that knows the community not just a name

Finest

EP Manager
I heard all the interviews were able to be seen by all the candidates before the committee viewed them and there were applicants left out of the process. The principal there has no clue and is picking his buddy, wait and see...
"Interviews were able to be seen before"? Did he meet with them before they meet with the committee??

I heard they had to make some kind of video with some questions and submit them too a file where everyone had access to them? Lmao like amature hr am sure committee had a great time lmao

???
Excuse the ignorance, but is that a new trend with interviews? Seems a little strange

I never heard of it but that’s the word what a joke! Am glad my kid don’t go their they need to take this serious get someone that knows the kids they have talent they just need a new voice.

Wow! Whose idea was this? EPISD? This whole thing smells fishy, have they announced the finalist?

Yes but word is it’s gonna reopen lol

Re-open? All this because of Admins fault or whoever was in charge of the hiring process. Now the kids have to wait longer to get a coach in place, that's not right. There was some good candidates that didn't even get a chance to interview so what makes one think that things will be different the second time around!? I heard none of the finalist had ties to the school, community, or were even part of EPISD. What a shame! Get it together EPHS!

I heard the same thing you got good coaches here but they have no clue thats why no one trust episd. so sad for coaches that applied and kids at ephs we want someone that knows the community and has ties to the school whats so hard about that.

1 2
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m