​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who will be the best player in 2020

A c/o 22’ kid for burges just got an offer from the university of texas. Kid will be a national recruit. Tavorus jones.

Rgv
A c/o 22’ kid for burges just got an offer from the university of texas. Kid will be a national recruit. Tavorus jones.
This is great for our city

Rgv
This is great for our city
Really is. Having a player like that in the area helps other athletes. Here in the rgv the oast 2-3 years have been good having 3-4 fbs recruits in the area per year which makes it an easier choice for coaches and scouts to visit instead of years when maybe 1 player is fbs caliber. Having a p5 player in the area really gonna help ep

That's the way I see it. When there are multiple d1 kids here either kids get looked at. I think it's what hurt aaron jones. He came put on a year when there weren't many d1 kids. It seems like it comes in spurts

I'm so happy for that young man and it will most definitely be a benifit for the area. I foresee a few more P5 offers incthis area.

That's the way I see it. When there are multiple d1 kids here either kids get looked at. I think it's what hurt aaron jones. He came put on a year when there weren't many d1 kids. It seems like it comes in spurts
Yup those borderline d1 kids who are litterally a look or two away from an offer or more benefit from coaches coming to town and seeing them in person. Look at the year deion hankins was here. That was a high number of kids who had d1 offers

Lets discuss a Reality Check for El Paso kids. If your lucky enough to reach the height of 6'-2" with some talent you have a chance to be considered for a D1 offer. Unless your RB under 6'-2".

You do not have to be 6'2" or taller to get a D1 scholarship. It all depends on the position you play. Slot receivers, running backs, corner backs, safeties, kick and punt returners, kickers, punters even in the NFL range from 509 to 6 foot with some exceptions. Speed, strength, skill and vision are the things that will make you successful. Height is only part of the equation. I laugh when I see all of these highlighted players on this site that are hyped up because they are over six feet tall. If you ask kids that have played against these kids they all say that they are overrated. The only players worthy of D1 talk are the ones who show their skill on the field. Talk is just talk. People in El Paso try to fit a mold of what they think college athletes look like. I have seen plenty of kids who were can't miss players for the next level but they lack the heart and skills needed to be successful. Look at the Jones brothers. They are great athletes but are not huge kids. They worked their asses off and earned everything they have received. Its nice to hype up kids but the reality is you have kids that play 5A and lower that don't play the top level of competition in the city. Although this is not their fault, its something that should not be over looked. These kids play primarily on the east side. Not sure why there is so much bias towards the east side of the city but just because they look the part doesn't mean they can play. Franklin, and Coronado get snubbed all the time by the media. There is D1 talent in this city but the kids are not evaluated fairly. Coaches should have a way to talk about their legitimate college recruits on their own team, that college recruiters can access. Instead of mommy and daddy forcing their kids down everyone's throat. That being said Dumas from Americas is the real deal. There are many players that have the talent and skill. The ones who play the game know who they are. Players speak up. Its ok to give props to those players who deserve it. Under the radar types that are actually better than those receiving the attention.

I agree with you. But behind the scenes, three questions a recruiter will ask. How Tall, How Fast, Can he Hit.

East
I agree with you. But behind the scenes, three questions a recruiter will ask. How Tall, How Fast, Can he Hit.
To add to your "recruiter questions"; GRADES / TEST SCORES!

If he has height, speed and can hit. He will magically pass his courses.

Saw on twitter aaron dumas got an arizona state offer.

East
Nah in areas like ep, west tx, rgv and cc if you want to get noticed forsure you need to have good grades plus being a forsure d1 athlete to get noticed. Look at most of the top players in those areas. Usually academically gifted and athletic. That mught be the case in the bigger metros though

Rgv
East
Nah in areas like ep, west tx, rgv and cc if you want to get noticed forsure you need to have good grades plus being a forsure d1 athlete to get noticed. Look at most of the top players in those areas. Usually academically gifted and athletic. That mught be the case in the bigger metros though
IDK about this statement, I know there are schools where kids grades get fixed so they can stay eligible. But as for grade fixing so kids can be recruited I would say you were right

Rgv
East
IDK about this statement, I know there are schools where kids grades get fixed so they can stay eligible. But as for grade fixing so kids can be recruited I would say you were right
Theres a big difference between literally fixing the grades and the coaches going to talk to the teachers so they can give a little packet or something easy to chance the grade of a failing student which ive seen even for backups but i wouldnt call that magically passing. Also big difference in getting recruited or not. The really gifted kids who are going d1 in the less recruited areas usually have good grades.

Rgv
If there is a season I believe Tavorus Jones will be the best player in 2020.

Franklin has a couple of under the radar kids that are getting a lot of Division II attention. Noel Moreno 6'2" 200 lbs plays TE and Wideout, Devyn Clark 5'11" 175 plays the slot and out wide, returns kicks and punts, and will see some time at the wildcat, runs in the 4.4 range. Devyn has received some interest from D1 Columbia according to his twitter. Devyn was hitting his stride last year when he returned a punt and kickoff for touchdowns against Chapin only to tear his meniscus on the last play of the game. From what I hear he is all the way back and I saw him and Noel working out on former Miner and NFL player Paul Smith's Instagram account with his son who will be a stud at the QB position as a freshman at Franklin next year. He is 6'2" already and has a rocket arm. Probably already better than the any other QB Franklin has ahead of him. The Dave Campbell's ranking in 6A has Franklin in 6th place in District which I'm sure has ****** off the whole team and coaches. I'm sure they are focused on proving everyone wrong.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m