​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top D1 Players from EP in last decade

As I get older, my memory fades. Name the top D1 players from EP from 2010 - 2019. List position, school and stats. Do not include UTEP players.
If the D1 school is an FCS school, state so.

This will be interesting. When I say top D1 players, I don't mean kids who excelled on the high school field. I want kids that PRODUCED at the D1 level.

Re: Top D1 Players from EP in last decade

So you want someone to do your research.

FalconFeather
As I get older, my memory fades. Name the top D1 players from EP from 2010 - 2019. List position, school and stats. Do not include UTEP players.
If the D1 school is an FCS school, state so.

This will be interesting. When I say top D1 players, I don't mean kids who excelled on the high school field. I want kids that PRODUCED at the D1 level.

Like the person said before me. Do your own research and then post it on here.

Eldo Cedarious barefield San Diego state
Eldo Tyquez Hampton Utah
Eldo Mj macfarland texas
Americas Jack fields noise state
Americaa Trevor hardee airforce
Americas Kolton lindeman incarnate word
Americas Q drennan new Mexico
Americas Markos lujan utep
Americas Eric foster utep
Montwood Joshua fields UTEP
Americas Dasen chisolm tarleton
Del valle Steven Montes colorado
Burges Aaron jones utep
Burges had a lineman go to airforce ???
Franklin Nick Bingham Bingham state
Franklin Baylor Romney byu
Franklin Devon Houx airforce
Franklin Derek elmendorf utep
Franklin stonewall lamar university
Franklin haack rice
Chapin went to Baylor
Andress Tristen cooper Arizona
Andress ryan Metz utep
Andress stills Minnesota
Parkland Deion hankins utep
Franklin Lyles north texas
Pebble hills Caleb Gerber airforce
Pebble hills Isaiah davis UTSA
Montwood Warren redix utep
Montwood Bobby deharo utep
MOntwood Joshua Ortega utep
Tyrese andris incarnate word
Coronado tightend San Diego state
Coronado Jake cox Idaho
Coronado Davis burns utep
Coronado cole freytag utep
Eastwood Rich rodriguez UTEP
EAstwood Mark Torres utep
Eastwood Greg long utep
Eastlake barnwell utep
Canutillo josh delarosa utep
El paso high trey wolf
Hanks patrick Pettis ole miss

Best list incouldncome up with but I'm an old man lol

Adam Roberts tight end from coronado to San Diego state

Burges quarterback John Skelton surpassed and succeeded tons of records in college at Fordham University. He also played in the NFL. He even was on ESPN sports shows like this one

Didn't list him because the original poster said since 2010

Ok, Like the poster of this thread said, list players who have actually PRODUCED and did something at the D1 level.

Don't look at their HS trophy case.

Many on the list just signed and have yet to play. SCRATCH THEM

He wants FCS schools out. I would leave them in. They are D1 after all.

Not sure why he wants UTEP out. I would assume since the local school will always try to take EP top talent when other may not.

Some names are great, but have not PRODUCED much or never really did.

Players such as Fields and Hankins have yet to show anything. Promising means nothing.

Ty Hampton was a HS trophy case. Went to Utah did not play. transferred to CC and did not do much. Went to Tulsa. Nada. No Production.

McFarland was a HS trophy case. Went to UT in the Spring and busted. Got in trouble. Came to UTEP and got in trouble. No Major Production.

Stills was huge and left Minnesota.

Rich Rodriguez from EW at UTEP??? He's the king of intramural vb. Has yet to see the field.

Q Drennan caught 15 passes in three years at UNM. A whopping 4 for 48 yards last yr.

Jack Fields played on a successful BSU team. But did not exactly turn heads. Rushed for 336 yds total in 4 yrs. and had 14 yards receiving in four years.

I guess the point I am getting is EP really has not had much in the way of outstanding D1 talent.

Jones and Montes and the kid at U of A (Cooper) had great careers. But many of you thing this is a hotbed. Nothing here to prove it. On the other thread about players to watch in 2020 they are stoked the kids from Burges got an offer from UT. All excited that it will bring recruiters here to see out talent that does not get seen. Look at the list over the last ten years. Not much to see.

Not sure if that as Falcons reasoning. But that is what I got out of this list. Let us all be realist.

Franklin Cougars quarterback Alex Torres walkedon to Texas Tech University and beat out top 5 star players for Michael Crabtree's position. Alex had a hell of a career at Texas Tech. Oklahoma Sooners know who Alex Torres is unlike most El Pasoans.

Walkon >>> https://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/4521/walk-on-torres-blossoms-as-another-key-tech-receiver

Again they said after 2010 but we should showcase walkpns too

It should be the last two decades because alot of athletes do not start as true freshman in college, some walk on and others transfer or go the junior college route. Two decades makes more sense. Two decades is basically like 1 decade when in comes to college sports.

Forgot some from this year

Andress Gustavo Gallardo west point
Burges jaime escobar utep
Andress kante liggins utep

Forgot some from this year

Andress Gustavo Gallardo west point
Burges jaime escobar utep
Andress kante liggins utep
Those guys haven't played a down in college

El Paso, TX Del Valle quarterback Steven Montez ofcourse especially when in his junior year at the University of Colorado he led the Buffaloes past the Oregon Ducks, Nebraska, and other teams.

:point_right: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401012729

But we can't fail to mention what El Paso, TX Franklin quarterback Baylor Romney did this past season as a freshman at Brigham Young University when he led the BYU Cougars past Boise State and other teams. If you're talking about Top Division 1 players from the city of El Paso, TX in the last 10 years then Baylor Romney is the #1 choice because in my humble opinion he did it as a freshman on the college arena. Ask yourselves when was the last time a quarterback from a high school in the city of El Paso, TX led a NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision team to wins as a freshman?

:point_right: https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/27883366

To be fair it isn't like he's an 18 year old freshman

Age does not matter in college football. Classification. Look at South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs Bobby Boucher who was over 30 years of age and what he did as a freshman. Bourbon Bowl!!! Give credit where credit is due. Freshman is a freshman.

:point_right: https://www.deseret.com/2019/11/9/20956781/byu-freshman-baylor-romney-rises-to-the-call-again-against-liberty

:point_right: https://www.deseret.com/2019/11/7/20953408/baylor-romney-byu-newest-starting-qb-unflappable

Steven Montez signed a 3 year contract deal with the Washington Redskins worth close to $3 million dollars and with a $10,000 signing bonus plus $35,000 guaranteed just because. This year Montez will earn about $600,000 with a signing bonus of $10,000. I could be wrong about these numbers might be a bit more or a bit less.

:point_right: https://www.si.com/college/colorado/football/montez-signs-with-washington-redskins

:point_right: https://www.si.com/college/colorado/football/steven-montez-has-chance-to-make-washington-redskins

IGWT
Age does not matter in college football. Classification. Look at South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs Bobby Boucher who was over 30 years of age and what he did as a freshman. Bourbon Bowl!!! Give credit where credit is due. Freshman is a freshman.

:point_right: https://www.deseret.com/2019/11/9/20956781/byu-freshman-baylor-romney-rises-to-the-call-again-against-liberty

:point_right: https://www.deseret.com/2019/11/7/20953408/baylor-romney-byu-newest-starting-qb-unflappable

I was literally the first one on this thread to list Romney. But guy is like 21 years old. Yeah that does matter maturity is huge

Realist
Ok, Like the poster of this thread said, list players who have actually PRODUCED and did something at the D1 level.

Don't look at their HS trophy case.

Not sure why he wants UTEP out. I would assume since the local school will always try to take EP top talent when other may not.

Players such as Fields and Hankins have yet to show anything. Promising means nothing.

Ty Hampton was a HS trophy case. Went to Utah did not play. transferred to CC and did not do much. Went to Tulsa. Nada. No Production.

McFarland was a HS trophy case. Went to UT in the Spring and busted. Got in trouble. Came to UTEP and got in trouble. No Major Production.

Rich Rodriguez from EW at UTEP??? He's the king of intramural vb. Has yet to see the field.

Q Drennan caught 15 passes in three years at UNM. A whopping 4 for 48 yards last yr.

Jack Fields played on a successful BSU team. But did not exactly turn heads. Rushed for 336 yds total in 4 yrs. and had 14 yards receiving in four years.

I guess the point I am getting is EP really has not had much in the way of outstanding D1 talent.

Jones and Montes and the kid at U of A (Cooper) had great careers. But many of you thing this is a hotbed. Nothing here to prove it. On the other thread about players to watch in 2020 they are stoked the kids from Burges got an offer from UT. All excited that it will bring recruiters here to see out talent that does not get seen. Look at the list over the last ten years. Not much to see.

Not sure if that as Falcons reasoning. But that is what I got out of this list. Let us all be realist.

Great post, and proves to those say EP is overlooked, no we are not....

Just because you can rush for 1,000 yards against Jeff, Bowie and Horizon, doesn't mean you can ball at the FBS level, totally different level, and our athletes are way behind, even our best....

Eyes_From_The_Box
Realist

Don\'t look at their HS trophy case.

Rich Rodriguez from EW at UTEP??? He\'s the king of intramural vb. Has yet to see the field.

Great post, and proves to those say EP is overlooked, no we are not....

Just because you can rush for 1,000 yards against Jeff, Bowie and Horizon, doesn't mean you can ball at the FBS level, totally different level, and our athletes are way behind, even our best....
My take on that

I simply cannot believe that 100%. Maybe 55%. College players should not receive all the blame of not producing. College coaches should also be at blame of not getting players to produce.

Would toss in there Connor Potts, Franklin lineman to Harvard.

What happened to stills in Minnesota? Where is he now, he sas good there the one year he aas there? Anyone know what happened and also will williams last year ended up being rated a 4star recruit

Ccc
What happened to stills in Minnesota? Where is he now, he sas good there the one year he aas there? Anyone know what happened and also will williams last year ended up being rated a 4star recruit
Will williams Out of chapun is at baylor and is projected to play as a sophomore with a decent role. 4star recruit. Karch gardiner walked on at Arkansas and might actually play, hes making plays in camp

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m