Re: Top High School Coaches

FalconFeather
Allan Sepkowitz
Bob Savage
Jesse Perales
Jack Quarles
Don Brooks
Todd Ware
Neither of those coaches have or had coached a El Paso high school football team past two out of town opponents in the state playoffs.

The only El Paso high school football coaches to have done that are Scott Brooks in Canutillo and Tony Grijalva when he was at Franklin. I don't care how long a high school coach has been a coach or how many district titles he has coached a team to or bi district titles against weak El Paso teams in the first round what matters to me is how many out of town opponents they have beaten in the state playoffs in a single season and Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva have been the only El Paso high school football coaches to haven beaten two out of town opponents in the state playoffs in a single season.

So with that said here is my list of true Top El Paso high school football coaches

Scott Brooks coached Canutillo past 3 out of town opponents in the 2014 state playoffs
Tony Grijalva coached Franklin past 2 out of town opponents in the 2005 state playoffs

There have been no other El Paso high school football coaches in history besides Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva to coach a team past 2 or more out of town opponents in the state playoffs and that is the truth.

If you want to give respect to El Paso high school football coaches then do so a long list of coaches deserve to be given respect but don't label them as Top High School Coaches. Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva are the only El Paso high school football coaches who really deserve that label as Top High School Coaches.

What I love about Scott Brooks is that Canutillo was a horrible program before he got there. People forget that because he has been there so long. But there was a time when both Parkland and Canutillo had to go independent because they couldn't compete.

In one of the greatest upsets in El Paso High School History was when Parkland beat Riverside in the late 80's. Parkland only had 21 kids in their program and beat a highly touted Riverside team.

Canutillo couldn't beat anyone and lost every week by 50. The loser mentality was seemingly impossible to overcome. Brooks went in there and it probably took him 10 years to change the attitude in that community.

FalconFeather
Allan Sepkowitz
Bob Savage
Jesse Perales
Jack Quarles
Don Brooks
Todd Ware
I mean he won some games but how Jesse perales make this list over chuck veliz
Coach Chuck Veliz, former Del Valle and Montwood.

East
FalconFeather
Allan Sepkowitz
Bob Savage
Jesse Perales
Jack Quarles
Don Brooks
Todd Ware
I mean he won some games but how Jesse perales make this list over chuck veliz
Coach Chuck Veliz, former Del Valle and Montwood.
Yes thats the one I'm talking about

I just threw this out there as this forum has been pretty quiet. Everybody has their own opinions and that is great. Instead of questioning, list your top 6 or 7. Everyone has their own reasons. That is what makes forums like this go forward.

There have been many top High School coaches to come out of El Paso. Sure, we don't have an extensive list of coaches that have gone on and won DEEP in the Texas State Playoffs, but nonetheless, there have been good ones to come out of the city. Here's a few in no order:

Legends:
Don Brooks: Coronado
Allan Sepkowitz: Andress
Bob Savage: Bel Air
Tom Work: Riverside

Turn of the Century:
Chuck Veliz: Del Valle, Montwood
Tony Grijalva: Franklin

Modern Day Staples:
Daren Walker: Chapin, Franklin
Scott Brooks: Canutillo
Jesse Perales: Del Valle, Garland Naaman Forest

Next Up:
Patrick Melton: Americas
Mark Torres: Pebble Hills

LOCO
There have been many top High School coaches to come out of El Paso. Sure, we don't have an extensive list of coaches that have gone on and won DEEP in the Texas State Playoffs, but nonetheless, there have been good ones to come out of the city. Here's a few in no order:

Legends:
Don Brooks: Coronado
Allan Sepkowitz: Andress
Bob Savage: Bel Air
Tom Work: Riverside

Turn of the Century:
Chuck Veliz: Del Valle, Montwood
Tony Grijalva: Franklin

Modern Day Staples:
Daren Walker: Chapin, Franklin
Scott Brooks: Canutillo
Jesse Perales: Del Valle, Garland Naaman Forest

Next Up:
Patrick Melton: Americas
Mark Torres: Pebble Hills

I doubt Pebble Hills Torres will be one. He could not beat Montwood when he had a stacked Senior year season in 2018. He still needs to win an out right District Championship.

TheTruth
FalconFeather
Allan Sepkowitz
Bob Savage
Jesse Perales
Jack Quarles
Don Brooks
Todd Ware
Neither of those coaches have or had coached a El Paso high school football team past two out of town opponents in the state playoffs.

The only El Paso high school football coaches to have done that are Scott Brooks in Canutillo and Tony Grijalva when he was at Franklin. I don't care how long a high school coach has been a coach or how many district titles he has coached a team to or bi district titles against weak El Paso teams in the first round what matters to me is how many out of town opponents they have beaten in the state playoffs in a single season and Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva have been the only El Paso high school football coaches to haven beaten two out of town opponents in the state playoffs in a single season.

So with that said here is my list of true Top El Paso high school football coaches

Scott Brooks coached Canutillo past 3 out of town opponents in the 2014 state playoffs
Tony Grijalva coached Franklin past 2 out of town opponents in the 2005 state playoffs

There have been no other El Paso high school football coaches in history besides Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva to coach a team past 2 or more out of town opponents in the state playoffs and that is the truth.

If you want to give respect to El Paso high school football coaches then do so a long list of coaches deserve to be given respect but don't label them as Top High School Coaches. Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva are the only El Paso high school football coaches who really deserve that label as Top High School Coaches.
If you're using that logic then you're missing a coach from Burges and Parkland. Let's add Cathedral while you're at it. Let's be serious, no one has a state championship along with hundreds of other coaches from other places. We're legitly looking at winning percentages, and yes whatever level of championship trophies there are which is ridiculous in itself. The list should be a bit more extensive, but here's some dudes not in any particularorder:
1. Brooks connection (father & son)
2. Sep
3. Work
Then ruffling some feathers.
1. Walker (Vhapin & Franklin)
2. Chuck Veliz (Montwood)
3. Melton (brought Americas up from th abyss)
4. Perales (OFOD)

1 percent,dig in.

FCGriffins
TheTruth
FalconFeather
Allan Sepkowitz
Bob Savage
Jesse Perales
Jack Quarles
Don Brooks
Todd Ware

The only El Paso high school football coaches to have done that are Scott Brooks in Canutillo and Tony Grijalva when he was at Franklin. I don\'t care how long a high school coach has been a coach or how many district titles he has coached a team to or bi district titles against weak El Paso teams in the first round what matters to me is how many out of town opponents they have beaten in the state playoffs in a single season and Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva have been the only El Paso high school football coaches to haven beaten two out of town opponents in the state playoffs in a single season.

If you want to give respect to El Paso high school football coaches then do so a long list of coaches deserve to be given respect but don\'t label them as Top High School Coaches. Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva are the only El Paso high school football coaches who really deserve that label as Top High School Coaches.
If you're using that logic then you're missing a coach from Burges and Parkland. Let's add Cathedral while you're at it. Let's be serious, no one has a state championship along with hundreds of other coaches from other places. We're legitly looking at winning percentages, and yes whatever level of championship trophies there are which is ridiculous in itself. The list should be a bit more extensive, but here's some dudes not in any particularorder:
2. Sep
3. Work
4. Perales (OFOD)
Once again these coaches you mention never beat two or more out of town teams in the state playoffs in a single season. One would think they have after coaching for so many countless years.

Don Brooks
Sep
Work
Walker
Chuck Veliz
Melton
Perales

You titled this thread Top high school coaches. You should have titled it El Paso coaches with high winning percentages against El Paso teams. And no Cathedral should not be included.

FCGriffins
TheTruth
FalconFeather
Allan Sepkowitz
Bob Savage
Jesse Perales
Jack Quarles
Don Brooks
Todd Ware

The only El Paso high school football coaches to have done that are Scott Brooks in Canutillo and Tony Grijalva when he was at Franklin. I don\'t care how long a high school coach has been a coach or how many district titles he has coached a team to or bi district titles against weak El Paso teams in the first round what matters to me is how many out of town opponents they have beaten in the state playoffs in a single season and Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva have been the only El Paso high school football coaches to haven beaten two out of town opponents in the state playoffs in a single season.

If you want to give respect to El Paso high school football coaches then do so a long list of coaches deserve to be given respect but don\'t label them as Top High School Coaches. Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva are the only El Paso high school football coaches who really deserve that label as Top High School Coaches.
2. Sep
3. Work
4. Perales (OFOD)
The Truth - One Hit Wonders don't count for Top Coaches.

East
FCGriffins
TheTruth
FalconFeather
Allan Sepkowitz
Bob Savage
Jesse Perales
Jack Quarles
Don Brooks
Todd Ware

The only El Paso high school football coaches to have done that are Scott Brooks in Canutillo and Tony Grijalva when he was at Franklin. I don\\\'t care how long a high school coach has been a coach or how many district titles he has coached a team to or bi district titles against weak El Paso teams in the first round what matters to me is how many out of town opponents they have beaten in the state playoffs in a single season and Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva have been the only El Paso high school football coaches to haven beaten two out of town opponents in the state playoffs in a single season.

If you want to give respect to El Paso high school football coaches then do so a long list of coaches deserve to be given respect but don\\\'t label them as Top High School Coaches. Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva are the only El Paso high school football coaches who really deserve that label as Top High School Coaches.
If you\'re using that logic then you\'re missing a coach from Burges and Parkland. Let\'s add Cathedral while you\'re at it. Let\'s be serious, no one has a state championship along with hundreds of other coaches from other places. We\'re legitly looking at winning percentages, and yes whatever level of championship trophies there are which is ridiculous in itself. The list should be a bit more extensive, but here\'s some dudes not in any particularorder:
2. Sep
3. Work
4. Perales (OFOD)
If you see it that way then beating Bowie, Jefferson, El Paso high, and Austin in district does not count nor does beating Bowie, Jefferson, El Paso high, Austin, Ysleta, Bel Air, Irvin or Horizon in the first round of the playoffs does not count either.

TheTruth
East
FCGriffins
TheTruth
FalconFeather
Allan Sepkowitz
Bob Savage
Jesse Perales
Jack Quarles
Don Brooks
Todd Ware

The only El Paso high school football coaches to have done that are Scott Brooks in Canutillo and Tony Grijalva when he was at Franklin. I don\\\\\\'t care how long a high school coach has been a coach or how many district titles he has coached a team to or bi district titles against weak El Paso teams in the first round what matters to me is how many out of town opponents they have beaten in the state playoffs in a single season and Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva have been the only El Paso high school football coaches to haven beaten two out of town opponents in the state playoffs in a single season.

If you want to give respect to El Paso high school football coaches then do so a long list of coaches deserve to be given respect but don\\\\\\'t label them as Top High School Coaches. Scott Brooks and Tony Grijalva are the only El Paso high school football coaches who really deserve that label as Top High School Coaches.
If you\\'re using that logic then you\\'re missing a coach from Burges and Parkland. Let\\'s add Cathedral while you\\'re at it. Let\\'s be serious, no one has a state championship along with hundreds of other coaches from other places. We\\'re legitly looking at winning percentages, and yes whatever level of championship trophies there are which is ridiculous in itself. The list should be a bit more extensive, but here\\'s some dudes not in any particularorder:
2. Sep
3. Work
4. Perales (OFOD)
If you see it that way then beating Bowie, Jefferson, El Paso high, and Austin in district does not count nor does beating Bowie, Jefferson, El Paso high, Austin, Ysleta, Bel Air, Irvin or Horizon in the first round of the playoffs does not count either.
The Truth, nobody remembers one hit wonders.

East
If that is what you believe then you also believe that nobody remembers district titles in the city of El Paso and bidistrict title wins between an El Paso teams against El Paso teams. By your belief then those district and bidistrict trophies are worthless and should be tossed in the garbage.

TheTruth
East
If that is what you believe then you also believe that nobody remembers district titles in the city of El Paso and bidistrict title wins between an El Paso teams against El Paso teams. By your belief then those district and bidistrict trophies are worthless and should be tossed in the garbage.
TheTruth you speak truth but easy there calm down. You know how majority of El Pasoans are.

TheTruth
East
To be considered as Great Coaches with consistency in winning seasons. Chill there The Truth. You cant handle the Truth.

The year before Brooks got to Canutillo, They won a district championship under Mike Craig. Brooks has done a great job and has brought consistency to the program with great out of town success. I just wanted to let you know about the 1998 district championship team they did have.

Tom Work beat a lot of out of town football teams. Went to the state quarterfinals two years in a row with a trip to Texas stadium. He belongs up there.

915HSNostradamus
Tom Work beat a lot of out of town football teams. Went to the state quarterfinals two years in a row with a trip to Texas stadium. He belongs up there.
I'm a Riverside alum and sorry to say 915HSNostradamus but you are wrong. Tom Work did not beat a lot of out of town teams. The only out of town teams that he beat in the playoffs as our Rangers head coach was in 2003 when they beat Amarillo Palo Duro and in 2004 when they beat Canyon Randall.

Tom Work in his entire head coaching career at Riverside only beat 2 out of town teams in the playoffs.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m