​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UTEP 5th offer

I’m sorry, but in what world does it make sense that utep is not Tavorus joneses FIRST offer?!?! The kid is obviously a stud and is in their own back yard, now the states flagship program and the nations top program offer them and then utep swoops in!?!? What the heck!?!? Now they have absolutely no chance with him. We got lucky with Deion committing, but good lord, these coaches need to WAKE UP

Re: UTEP 5th offer

They probably offered both kids to save face. Like why have all these schools offered kids and we haven't type of save face. They know they have no shot with either.

They absolutely did, just saw that they also just now offered Dumas. The thing I’m mostly upset with is that utep should have been both of their first offers. If utep is going to ever become a winning program they cannot let the cities best talent leave. A few years ago Khatib Lyles should have been an absolute PRIORITY. Now he is in Denton. Just ridiculous that they cannot spot that kind of talent, or have the confidence to be the first offer. Hats off to both kids, any time kids from this city get looks from top level schools it is special, just wish our home town team had some common sense

I agree, not the best look from UTEP waiting till just recently to offer Dumas, who's been on the radar of other teams since after his sophomore year. Now with Jones getting a whole lot of attention they offer him. I believe that their opinion of El Paso HS Football must not be very high!

UTEP got lucky with Deion Hankins in that when he tried to take the offer from Arkansas, they had already reached their scholarship limit! I only hope that he has a productive career at UTEP. Must have been something that the staff saw in the other RB's and not him that kept him from the field last year.

UTEP not being able to hold the recruiting camps and get kids in front of their coaches hinders their ability to scout talent as well. A kid may look fast on film, but running in front of others and actually getting times really counts at the D1 level. Hopefully things start turning around for them and maybe one or two of the elite kid from El Paso really want to stay home over leaving to bigger programs.

what world would an AD hire a head coach with a 32-61 overall record? Dana Dimel is a joke just like majority of the football played in our area. :(

Eyes_From_The_Box
what world would an AD hire a head coach with a 32-61 overall record? Dana Dimel is a joke just like majority of the football played in our area. :(
you probably played football in our area so your the punchline of the joke.

Eyes_From_The_Box
Nah he did come to utep and say the first 2 even 3 years were gonna be bad lol. Give him a break the old coach left him a horrible team. This year is the first year where his recruits will come in

Ut
Eyes_From_The_Box
Nah he did come to utep and say the first 2 even 3 years were gonna be bad lol. Give him a break the old coach left him a horrible team. This year is the first year where his recruits will come in
Left him a horrible team and no full load of scholarships for a few years. But hey yall are the gurus

This whole thing ultimately comes down to how you recruit the area. Utep absolutely needs to get the best kids from El Paso, New Mexico and Odessa. These areas have solid recruits and could Absolutely help utep. The staff needs to absolutely realize that they are in play with good close to home talent.

Totally Disagree. UTEP has flooded their rosters in the past with local talent. Sure, try to get the top couple of players, but that's about it. This is not a hotbed or HS talent at the D-1 level.

FalconFeather
Totally Disagree. UTEP has flooded their rosters in the past with local talent. Sure, try to get the top couple of players, but that's about it. This is not a hotbed or HS talent at the D-1 level.
Deion Hankins is really the only local player that had several big time offers and stayed home and went to UTEP. We have yet to see what Deion does at UTEP. All other local players that went to UTEP had only 1 offer which was UTEP or were walkons. And don't bring up Josh Fields he only had 2 or 3 offers and they weren't big time offers.

Ut
Eyes_From_The_Box
Left him a horrible team and no full load of scholarships for a few years. But hey yall are the gurus
Yea lol i mean if we’re gonna judge him it should be this year. This will be the first years where his recruiting classes should be majority of the team. This is the year where he wont have any excuses

At the end of the day, there are always 2-3 studs in the area, utep should never let those studs leave town if they want to be legit

GoTbirds
At the end of the day, there are always 2-3 studs in the area, utep should never let those studs leave town if they want to be legit
My question is if those 2 to 3 local studs who receive more than six D1 offers decide to attend and play for UTEP would those UTEP coaches really get the best out of those studs? Or would those studs be better off at another program with way better coaching?

Very excellent point. It ultimately would come down to the right coach. A few years ago Tom herman was able to convince so many stud Houston players (including 5* Ed Oliver) to stay home. Dimes or whoever would obviously have to prove they know a thing or two. Obviously utep won’t land any 5* any time soon. The coach would have to ensure the kid that he could get quality coaching at home, and why leave? No kids going to want to go to a program that can’t prepare them for the nfl. I personally think some kids would relish the opportunity to try to turn utep around. One of the biggest stadiums in g5, and when they are winning, the sun bowl is PACKED. I truly believe that it will take an el Pasoan to be the head coach of the Miner’s to officially turn the program around. Someone from out of town cannot sell CHUCO TOWN like a local can. Getting back to the earlier point. The coach would absolutely need to prove that the kid can be developed at home, and doesn’t have to leave.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m