​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
should EPCC start a football program?

Watching the Netflix show lately “Last Chance U” I was just wondering how everyone thinks El Paso has talent but is spread out throughout the city what if EPCC started a football program where maybe some of El Paso’s talent can come together and develop a little more then maybe more kids can get those D1 offers IDK thoughts???

Re: should EPCC start a football program?

I know expanding into Basketball has been the duscussion for EPCC for years and that hasn't started. I would love to see it someday but it could take forever. I think tons of local kids would play.

HotRodJim
Watching the Netflix show lately “Last Chance U” I was just wondering how everyone thinks El Paso has talent but is spread out throughout the city what if EPCC started a football program where maybe some of El Paso’s talent can come together and develop a little more then maybe more kids can get those D1 offers IDK thoughts???
I am surprised that EPCC doesn't already have all sports. Having UTEP and NMSU they could be feeding athletes there. I dont know how many would go to D1 schools, but it would open up more opportunities to local athletes. It is a financial commitment they are not wanting to make.

I agree Ike.Its just incredible to me how are these small little CCs and JuCos in the middle of nowhere are becoming powerhouses with really low enrollment compared to EPCC. Maybe with sponsorships or with a slight tuition increase it could be possible; I mean if a high school can have multiple uniform and helmet combinations and state of the art facilities why can’t a CC start a football program? Shoot they could even take over one of the many high schools loosing enrollment like Riverside (don’t get butthurt it’s just an example) or they can be renovated to be used as the sport complex or dorms or whatever. I’m sure it could be done. Maybe that would be a better investment in El Paso than that stupid pit that was the downtown arena.

EPCC Enrollment: 28,308 students
In-state tuition: $2,094
Out-state tuition: $3,654

Schools from show:
EMCC( Mississippi) enrollment: 4,127 students
In-state tuition: $2,600
Out-state tuition: $4,80
+ room and board

IndyCC(Kansas)enrollment: 945 students
In-state tuition: $3,376
Out-state tuition: $4,656
+ room and board

Laney college(Oakland CA)enrollment:10,548 students
In-state tuition: $1,144
Out-state tuition: $6,256
+ room and board

Top 3 2020 ranked schools
#1 Mississippi Gulf Coast CC: 9,799 students
In-state tuition: $2,732
Out-state tuition: $4,578
#2 Lackawanna (Pa):1,490 students
Private-state tuition: $13,690
#3 HutchinsonCC(Kansas):5,718 students
In-state tuition: $3,040
Out-state tuition: $4,032

*Per communitycollegereview.com
It really could be done if EPCC wanted to in my opinion.

EPCC was never intended to have athletics. It was started as an EDUCATIONAL alternative for local Hispanics who could not afford or get into regular 4 year colleges. It was intended to provide technical and vocational opportunities. Starting the baseball program was off the intended mission, getting further involved in athletics is a betrayal of the original mission and certainly of the taxpayers who fund this pricey social experiment. Haven't we suffered enough with the Miners?

Not a Good Idea. What about title 9? EPCC would have to add at least 6 women sports for this to happen. If they were to add sports they would have to add sports that both men and women could participate in.

EPCC can't even really fund and support baseball. Too much travel to find a conference. Probably have to go to Arizona, where I thought I read recently that some CC's were giving up FB. Only 5 JC fb teams in Texas, all in East Texas. NMMI is only one in NM.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m