WELCOME TO THE EP GRIDIRON FORUM                                                                                                            FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES: CLICK HERE

Index > EP GRIDIRON - Forum > - VARSITY > Can we create an "EPAC?"
Forum: - VARSITY
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Can we create an "EPAC?"

After discussions with the Bond Committee over the 2007 EPISD Bond Issue this spring. One of the committee persons specifically told me that if I wanted to do something to get Chapin a football stadium I would have to come up with a separate bond proposal than the 2007 initiative.

The funny thing was, I did not ask for a Chapin HS Stadium. It was assumed by the committee that since I was a Chapin parent, that was what I wanted.

The actual question was: "Is a stadium complex included in the $48 Million proposed for the new NorthEast HS?" "Because Chapin only cost $27 Million seven years prior, giving about $7 million for inflation (25% more or less), that left around $14 Million in extra funds for the school." The first answer I got was, "I do not know the specifics of what accrutiments (gadgets and gizmos) that will come with the new high school." My response was, "You are requesting $48 Million for a new school but, you do not know what that $48 Million in MY tax dollars is going to buy? I find that hard to believe you were able to calculate $48 Million without knowing what was being constructed out there?"

That is when I got the "I know what this is leading to, you are wondering why Chapin doesn't have a stadium." Then he went into the political argument over acedemics versus athletics.

He did not answer my question, yet he spun it to a jealous Chapin parent issue. I told him I was not looking for a Chapin stadium, but an EPISD facility comparable to the SAC or Grande Communications Stadium in Midland. A community facility that is reserved for Friday Nights for El Paso football; not just Chapin. He stated write a proposal for grants and bonds.

I am starting the ball rolling. Anybody out there with me. Let's get started.

Re: Can we create an "EPAC?"

Way to go mpbonehead. If only more people in El Paso were like you. Keep up the great work.

mp, great initiative, where do we feel that epac could be built? i have been out of ep for a few years. is there still land out by the diablo's?

mpbonehead

that would be good for the schools in the el paso school district without a stadium.

very good idea!

well that sounds like a great idea, only were will we put it. & will schools be willing to put money into this stadium, as well as the city. plus one thing i would luv to know would it be grass or turf if we r able to build this. send something to all the schools in elpaso to get them interestd

That is a great Idea. I can't think of anywhere to put it though. What schools dont have a stadium but money? Franklin, Chapn, who else? Based on these two schools I would say the best bet would be to put the stadium either behind Franklin before Transmountain or on the other side on the N.E. That way it is relatively close to both schools.

There is alot of land there in Transmountain. Unfortunately it's Government owned land. You know the land right across from Cohen.

Great idea with one potnetial snag that I see. The SAC serves about 4 schools I think. While the proposed EPAC would have to serve quite a few more than that. Even the schools with stadiums would want to play games there I would think.

I think the schools that have stadiums would rather play at home if they had a choice. When they play the schools that don't have a stadium they can play away games at the EPAC. How many EPISD schoold dont have stadiums?

EPISD Superintendent Lorenzo Garcia has created a committee of parents and administrators to look into the issue of athletic facilities. Of course, any plan for a stadium would have to wait until further funding (i.e. another bond election) because this bond was very specific about where the money would be spent and no where in there did it say anything about stadiums.

Garcia has said that he believes multi-school facilities like the SAC would be the smart thing to do for EPISD, and having one for the NE and one for the West Side (especially if a third West Side school opens) would make sense.

Now, a word on school pricing. It was stated that the price for Chapin was considerably less than the proposed new NE high school. Please bear in mind that the price for Chapin was construction price ALONE. The land in which Chapin stands belongs to the U.S. Army, and the district didn't have to pay for it. I believe it is leased for like $1 a year. When the district builds the new high school in the far NE, they will have to pay for land this time around.

try to encorage the other schools to get in on this, even though they have stadiums, we can always play the out of town or playoff teams. if u can get support from other school u could get some money. but also try the city itself. instead of building another high school we could use the money for this.

good points and accurate GRA, with the inbound units to bliss and the need for at least 1 new n.e. school, it only makes sense to have an "EPAC" as it is more cost effective to schedule home-away for several schools than to allocate stadium funding for the same. ican see it now, turf that they can paint e-zone the colors of teams weekly and large replica helmets of the teams that call it "home" around the outer rim, sort of like what QUALCOM does in San Diego with all the team flags? this would be so freakin' cool. COME ON EPISD, GET ON BOARD WITH THIS, LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE, LONG TERM.

I'm not sure if support from other schools would mean anything here. Remember: this is the district we're talking about. The budgets for every school come from the same place.

And I have heard people bring up support from the city twice now. Please remember that the Cit of El Paso has NOTHING to do with schools and their budgets. The reason districts in Texas are called "independent school districts" is because they have an autonomous school board that doesn't need to ask the city or the mayor for anything.

So the city has nothing to do with whether a new stadium is built in EPISD or not.

Interesting. How easy would it be for me to begin my own private school?

Dude, if you can get EPISD to build a Student Athletic Complex for the EPISD, that would totally benifit those schools without their own fields. Especially for Chapin since they don't always play at the same field for home either. And like someone said earlier, it can be used for playoff games for all of the schools in the district, instead of paying for the Sun Bowl every year.

I highly suggest turf be installed, but if you do that, you can't weekly paint anything onto it like someone suggested, otherwise it'll be permanent.

Chapin already has a football field all they need is are bleachers and lights.

water based dye, you most certainly can "paint the endzones weekly.

rudy, all schools have a football field. adding bleachers & lights is not as easy or inexpensive as it sounds & it would only benefit chapin. I would prefer 1 new really nice stadium for the district instead of a bunch of small fields w/ bleachers & a couple lights

husky field a bit close to 54, safety issue.

originally the eastwood stadium was built by ft bliss for the rotc program in the stadium there is a rifle range maybe ft bliss can help

There's no way the military'll give 30ish million dollars to a school district to build a Football Stadium in the middle of a war.

It might've happened for Eastwood, but think about the time that was in. The 50's, right after we had won WWII, so there was PLENTY of money for that, but anymore.

Sorry, to be so harsh.

add in not in

..., but not anymore.

Franklin has been one of the best representing teams in El Paso and they have no stadium?

I hate that argument. Why should a school get a stadium just because their team is good? Do schools with bad teams deserve less facilities? It's a stupid argument.

The bottom line is that Franklin deserves a stadium because other schools have them, too. Not because they're a good team.

And the reason they won't get one any time soon is basic: there's no money.

GRA the money is there.

1whoknows:

Where is that money? People keep saying that, but there is not a single school finance expert on this forum. There. Is. No. Money.

If the district has to go out for a bond election to build a new school, they sure don't have any hidden money to be building stadiums.

I've seen the budgets for EPISD. It's my job to look at them. The district has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find pay raises for teachers.

That is a load of "Male Bovine Fecal Material"

The school district is getting Bond money for matching funds to get more money. As I indicated earlier. I am looking at applying for grants and corporate sponsorship.

That is where the dag-gone money is.

Exactly like GRA said there is no money within the school district. All the bond money is for fixing old problems... barely. The district is still in need of several hundred million dollars(like $500 million short of what is actually needed)to bring schools up to where they should be. The current bond election money is merely for patch work on existing schools and some new schools.

The money would have to come from somewhere else.

I believe you are just rephrasing what GRA said.

I thougth that the reason Franklin didn't have a stadium is because of the surrounding residents voting against it because they didnt want to deel with teh lights and the crowds and cars.

Another Witness that sounds to me like the Districts screwed up several times in the past in order for them to be going through that.

Only EPISD. As far as I know Ysleta ISD and Socorro ISD are not facing the same issues.

Most of their schools have been maintained well and not left to decay. If issues came about, they were fixed at that time, not later when repairs are more expensive and other problems have come about.

Just take a look at Ysleta and Socorro schools, even the really old schools are in great condition. Some of EPISD's schools look like they should be condemned.

bonehead:

You clearly have no concept of how bond money works. The district took it to the voters, and the voters approved a list of projects. Now the district may use the money only for those projects the voters approved. The district can't say: "oh never mind that elementary school we promised. Let's build Franklin a stadium instead." If they were to do that, they'd face a big ol' lawsuit for mishandling public funds.

So maybe your grant writing approach is the way to get the money. But I'll tell you one thing: the money is not in the district. At least not right now.

GRA, I may have been born at night, but not last night.

I need help. What does the term, "District Specified Requirements." mean.

How about the terms, "ADA deficiencies from Aug 1999 Transition Plan." and "ADA deficiencies from 2003 Transition Plan."

Because over $3,083,000 from the 2007 bond is going there, and it wasn't specified on the bond. This includes:

$300,000 for a parking/drop off area at Bond Elem.
$175,000 for a drop off area at Lincoln Middle.
$50,000 for a "pathway" from drop off area at Putnam Elem. (Roof Replaced only $33,000)

Just to name a few.

Also, someone criticized my numbers earlier about "Chapin had land leased by the Army" and that is why it was sooo much cheaper than the new proposed high school.

According to the 2007 bond: "$3,504,153 - Site Aquisitions (4 Northeast Sites). Add that to the total allowing over 25% for inflation and this price. We are still hovering at around $10,000,000 of funds not accounted for.

Grants specifically state what the intended use is for; Bonds allow for deviation.

Not saying that protects EPISD from lawsuits for mis-spending, but it sure gives some room for flexibility on the use of the bonds.

I know more than you give me credit. That is why bonds and private funding are more prudent for an "EPAC." I want to even say...Leave EPISD out of the funding entirely, and make the facility available to them as a donation or low cost lease basis.

You just proved my point.

If you go to the EPISD bond web page at www.episd.org, you will see the original bond project list. You will also see there that the list DOES include the projects you listed.

By the way, "district specified requirements" means that the project will be built at the quality level that the district experts have said is adequate for safety. And ADA is the American With Disabilities Act, which forces public buildings to have access and facilities accommodating to the handicap. When the notation mentions deficiencies from 1999 and 2003, it means that the district has identified schools that violate the ADA laws from its facility studies in 1999 and 2003.

But, yes, the dropoff zones and roof replacements you listed ARE in the original bond list. Those $3 million were allotted from the beginning.

So, no, the money is not there in the bond.

And, I guess, you're right. Perhaps the best way to fund any new stadium would be through grants and public funding. Although I do have to say there would have to be a lot of grants and plenty of public funding for a single stadium.

Now we are tracking like a choo-choo

However, The District Specified Requirements in the 2007 Bond do not list the actual job order, jut the funding required.

My interpretation was job orders that were wanted by the district, but not disclosed. Which leads to the potential for corruption, since there is no previous disclosure. (See County of El Paso, County Commissioner's Office)

Jefferson
Franklin
Chapin

Demolish Cohen Stadium and forget the Diablos. People go to the diablos like once or twice a season anyways. I myself haven't been to a Diablos game in like 3 years. EPAC should be build there. If the Diablos want to continue their baseball they can rebuilt the old Duddley field stadium. That's the best solution. It's the best location for Jefferson, Chapin, Franklin and the new Northeast High school.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old Dudley Field is now part of the El Paso Zoo.

WHAT? Well I guess the Diablos will be left out on the street without a stadium like Jefferson, Chapin and Franklin have been doing for years.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That Cohen are would be perfect. I don't think the Diablos would move, but hey, people say money talks.

Show them the money.

Sounds good to me.

If the High School would put Field Turf in like UTEP. I could be paid for by the water refund from the water company and the money the school spends on watering the field. Plus the money you save from the upkeep on a grass field. As for EPAC they need it because and could be paid for just look at Midland and other area that have a AC. It paid for it's self in 5 to 7 years. EPISD and YISD just need to do it?

Why would YISD have to do it? All of YISD's high schools have their own stadiums. They made a commitment to that a long time ago.

Because YISD need to fixs all the high school fields i.e. Eastwood, Bel Air, Hsnks. Because they play on them all year around

So why can't they just fix what needs to be fixed? Fix it and everyone still has their home field.

YISD has always been good about fixing problems when the problem arises. They never really let things get the point that problems are too expensive to fix as EPISD has always done.

I guess I missed it all. But, Franklin nor any other EPISD school (without a stadium) will be getting one any time soon. There is no money for them and they were not put into the bond projects because they knew it meant more people would vote against. Tax payers in this city are fed up with sky high taxes and won't pay more for anything that's not essential.

I agree, Franklin needs a stadium of their own, but $$$$ is the problem.

I agree, but people who think the answer is having FHS parents fork out the cash is not the answer. The truth is that most parents that send their children to FHS live a modest life and don't have the money everybody thinks they do. Sure there are a few well-to-do families on the westside but not as many as assumed.

I agree, of course. They are paying high property taxes just like everyone else. Who implied parents should pay? That's never going to happen.

And all those sky high taxes are going toward improving and expanding the eastside. What about improving the neglected schools that need it? No stadium anytime soon for anyone is right. Thats how its been for a long time and thats how it will stay.

Check post from above. Plus it's a well known assumption many people in town have. They think that there is so much money on the westside. Truth is, we are no better off than anyone in all of El Paso.

FHS Alum

Why do you keep thinking EVERYONE is against you.

I WROTE THIS POST. AND I DO NOT WANT A CHAPIN STADIUM.

I feel that every school should have their own HOME. It should have been done when the school was built.

Never was it assumed that the financial status of a particular school had anything to do with anything.

If you actually read what I I I I I ME ME ME ME wrote, I do not want the school districts or any form of taxpayer funding for the "EPAC"

There are corporations and private businesses out there who can provide enough funds. It is just up to us to get the funds.

Enjoy your guaranteed Coronado/Sun Bowl games this season. When Chapin and Austin don't even know where they will play more than a week from now.

We are looking forward to the trip to Clint for the Austin HOME game vs. Cathedral

Who said I I I I ME ME ME ME, was against you? My comments are for those that are always ******** about FHS. For those who think that those students deserve less than what they actually need and deserve. Of course corprate sponsorship for such facilities would be great. Yes financial situation has always been assumed. How long have you lived in El Paso? Where the hell have you been? I will enjoy the Battle of the Westside, a long standing tradition by two schools who make sure they have a place to play every year. Not my fault Chapin and Austin can't arrange a place to play. EPAC is a nice idea, but in reality, most schools have their own field to play on and only a few are with out. Is an EPAC really necessary? NO.

FHSAlum an EPAC is necessary and dude relax man you're going to pop a nerve there.

Due to work being done at two EPISD school stadiums. Two High School football games were played last night at the Sun Bowl. All went well. Two for the price of one. In the past I have seen a dicline attendance for high school foot ball games especially in the North
East. New stadiums are not needed.

Decline of attendance for NE games????

When was the last time you attended a Chapin, Parkland or Andress Game???

You probably couldn't see the NE fans who went to San Angelo, Midland or Odessa playoff games because all the buses and cars were in the way.

There is currently FOUR of TEN schools who cannot play on a HOME field. And one more school who still has some work be done. Where do they go???

Tell you what...You arrange for Franklin to go to Clint and Austin can play at Coronado this week.

Do you realize how much the district pays to utilize out of district fields?

Do you have a ticket count for NE schools???

Fact: Chapin HS alone has brought in over $150.000 in revenue from ticket sales to EPISD over the past two years.

Maybe it is just a simple misunderstanding.

I grew up in a school district of over 35 schools. I realize the difference in sharing district funds vs. small districts that have less distributing to do.

I have family throughout El Paso (Uncle graduated Bowie in 50's who lives above Whirlway on the westside) and two cousins who live within blocks of Americas and Del Valle.

I am not new to El Paso.

I think it would be a huge disservice to the parents on the West Side to have them pay for their own Franklin stadium. The district didn't ask parents at Bowie, Austin, Irvin or any other school to pay for those stadiums. Why would the district treat the Franklin parents differently?

Having said that, it's only sensible to say that the financial situation of the district is dire, and taking money out of a tight budget to build a stadium would be irresponsible. Especially when classroom space is needed at many schools in the district.

Oh, and $150,000 in "revenue" from Chapin High is not a lot of money when you compare it with:

A. The amount of money it takes to have a football program at a high school (coach's stipends, equipment, utilities, bus drivers, gas for buses, etc); and

B. The budget for the entire school district is over $500 million, and $150,000 is basically lose change.

GRA,

I believe the term is called "budget dust"

I was just making the point to the individual who stated that there was a decline in attendance at NE games over the past few seasons, when the exact opposite is true.

Athletic programs in the NE are actually generating funds to help offset district spending. Not quite to the point where they are paying for themselves, but where they are better off than they were in years past.

Did you see the game of the week? How where the stands, What were the comments? Thats right. The
stands were PELOS. The truth is if you have a winning team you will have followers, but if not, No loyalty.
Increase in troops. Yeah, How many of them will have High School Kids? How many will have elementry Kids? Where are the priorities? Yeah when our teams play out of town, of course we want to support them. Yeah,
Chapin has a good following, mark my words, not if they keep losing. Ray comes in to town for a week holds programs for the kids, did you see the turn out, Shameful. There was a time when Coronado and Bel Air used The Sun Bowl as home field, both sides open, stadium was pretty full, both sides. This week two games, only one side open, you are talking 4 good schools, good games. What was the attendence? Do you need more? I see your intent, it is good but there are other views, as well.

yes i think an epac would be great for episd and i think it's a great idea to get ft. bliss involved for some bank after all our gov't is the one re-locating thousands of troops. i think the school that really gets left out and has been left out the longest is austin. those guys don't even have a home baseball field. they have to borrow one from the city of el paso (whatever is available) and make the best of it.

Exactly my point puzzled. It is shameful that a high school has to go to a middle school, elementary school, or even a public park to play UIL sanctioned games.

Today's paper has an application for a $15,000 grant. Application going in from me. Not a lot for what is needed, but it is a start.

BUILD A DARN EPAC ALREADY

The season is almost over, anybody know anything about the stadium issues in EPISD? They should do Something, because I am pretty sure that the district should be embarrassed of being the worst in the state stadium wise.

They don't care. Their only excuse is that education comes first. They know that athletics and education goes hand in hand but they will keep emphasizing that education is more important so to keep the focus away from athletics. Politics for dummies is their nature.

About how much would the construction of a stadium cost? Something like the SAC.

Stadium cost?
Land cost?
Approximations please.

Someone needs to call Paul Foster. He has the juice to get it done. He can have his people call some EPISD people and get the ball rolling.

y not cut the cost of what tax payers and school districts would pay by finding sponsers like the grande communications stadium in midland. Im sure some el paso based businesses would get in on this.

There's no money

Just make the Franklin High parents pay for it.

Quote: Troll
Just make the Franklin High parents pay for it.
Who pays for the Sun Bowl every year for the Annual Franklin vs Coronado game? Taxpayers?
Why can't Bowie vs Jefferson play there or any other EPISD rival game. Maybe them playing at the Sun Bowl would attrack more fans.

It is because other less expensive facilities will fit the amount of fans that will go to those games. Franklin vs Coronado is played at the Sun Bowl because it is on the westside and it can handle the amount of people that will go to that game.

is this true, about franklin not having a usable stadium because of voters?

Also I have played just games for fun on Coronado's stadium its pretty nice.

Copyright © 2004-2014 EP GRIDIRON. All Rights Reserved.