WELCOME TO THE EP GRIDIRON FORUM                                                                                                            FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES: CLICK HERE

Index > EP GRIDIRON - News and Opinions > - VARSITY > Irvin Head Coaching Job
Forum: - VARSITY
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Irvin Head Coaching Job

Who got the HC

Re: Irvin Head Coaching Job

Torres got it!!!

is this fact or opinion

good old boy network strikes again, its Wells.

Why don't we wait for the official announcement cuz all of ya'll are starting to look stupid!!!

snoop dog is the new head coach. congrats

Wells would be a good pick for that spot. When are they going to announce the decision?

old school coach will not work at irvin

My biggest problem with Wells is that he is not there for the long haul. He's already retired before and Irvin needs a coach who will be there for more than 5 years. That's not fair to the entire Irvin program and community. As a former alumni, I want a former Rocket who is committed. Mark Torres is that man! He is very serious about winning and tradition. I, along with other ex-rocket football players who had success in the 90's, believe that Mark has what it takes to bring Irvin back to district titles as well as the playoffs. He better not get screwed or there will be a lot of upset alumni to deal with.

I dont think nobody cares about angree alumi I least I dont. The best man should get the job. Mark has not proven to be winner yet. wells has as a HC he can brinf stablity to a rocky program. Mark has a track record of not working well with his fellow coaches. Becare what you wish this could be bitting us in the A-- two to three years from now,

What school did you go to What's Best? Alumni do care! Especially from Irvin High School! Do you even know Mark? Everything negative said about him is false! He is a great coach and he really cares about the kids

I played with mark at Irvin, I just feel he needs to accomplish a year or two at least as a winner as a DC he has not and he needs to work better with the coaches around him. If the truth be told Wells would bring instant success based on his experience and all this program needs is a push start and wells can offer that right now. In your statement you made it sound like a threat, that if mark didnt get the job the alumi would be angry. I do know for a fact that mark and his brothers and half of the Ysleta staff get in site trying to covering up the issues that come up and that s not fair play I say let the true be known and may the best man win. If mark does get it, you guys are stuck in YISD episd district is in a hiring freeze. He would have to hire from within so you boys might have to wait a couple of years.

Quote: XMan
What school did you go to What's Best? Alumni do care! Especially from Irvin High School! Do you even know Mark? Everything negative said about him is false! He is a great coach and he really cares about the kids

Would you still be ****** if Coach Mac or Wells got the job and turned that program around, into a winning program again? Or would you and the rest of your alum buddies raise hell because Mark Torres didnt get the job??? I vote Coach Mac for the job! most winning experience at the H.S. level than either.. Even if not a coordinator at least an assistant who's gained all the knowledge to make a program successful and knows how to win..

Instant success? How do you know? I doubt you played with him. You wouldn't be such a hater! I doubt you even played! I actually live out of town and have a big interest in Irvin. I know wells from NMSU and know guys who played for him. He has a hard time relating to high school kids. As far as the guy from Franklin, don't know much about him. He probably doesn't have a chance.

Quote: XMan
Instant success? How do you know? I doubt you played with him. You wouldn't be such a hater! I doubt you even played! I actually live out of town and have a big interest in Irvin. I know wells from NMSU and know guys who played for him. He has a hard time relating to high school kids. As far as the guy from Franklin, don't know much about him. He probably doesn't have a chance.
Coach Mac should have a chance.!!!!.. He would keep a lot of players at irvin that would normally leave to other NE schools.

Mark was at Irvin for a couple of years and none of those were a success although he wasnt the HC head didnt make an impact. I tend to agree with Fan at least Wells and Mac have had success. Mark would have a hard time figuring out success never coach coaching in a successful team. Not hating but not blinded by the buddy system.

Wells and Owen are very good friends. Did you know that?

did not know that I just hope they hire whats best for the kids i just want to see they compete asap

That's fair enough, I will agree with you on that. I think truthfully, Urias should have at least been a finalist, and the next coach!

I fully agree Joe played Qb in colllege and has been in the Irvin teams at that were 11-1 seasons. Has been an OC in playoff teams actually played College football and has been an OC for more then 2 year he would of been great and he's an Irvin grad.

i hope they get the best person that has interviewed for the job not just a dude that went to Irvin.
I thought Coach Urias would of been great for the job n i still think he is. If you guys are correct about Coach Mac then get him in someone that has had sucess tho..Coach Mark will be prob bring hes brother along n sum of those guys from Ysleta and what have they done over there nothing so i dont want to see them at Irvin do nothing either!!

Coach Mac Def. Deserves to be the next head guy over at Irvin.. I played for him, great coach, relates to the kids of NE having grew up and graduated from Andress, Coached at Terrace, and Chapin... NE kids love and respect him.. He'll run a tight ship at Irvin get those kids to follow and turn them into winners I can promise you that.. He's at Franklin one of the better 5A programs in the city, was at Chapin the best 4A consistently in the city, knows how to win, coached under Walker with the highest winning percentage amongst active coaches in the city with 11 years under his belt.. No doubt he deserves a shot..

Coach mac has no experience not even as a coordinator.Why would he be a great coach cuz he can relate well with the kids or because he coached with walker. He is probably a great coach no doubt but he has no idea what he is getting himself into. I think Wells would be a great pick because he has college experience and high school head coaching experience and he knows what has to be done. Mac and torres are not even wet behind the ears. If there smart they hire the best man that can turn Irvin around and that man is Coach Wells. He is a great coach you will see if they hire him.

I think Wells is a good coach, a lot of experience-too much expereience. He is an older man how will that help "rebuild" a program? It will not happen over night. There is a lot more wrong with Irvin than just its football team. I do not like the fact that people have openly stated with certainty that this is a good ole boy system and everyone knows that Coach Wells and Mr. Owen are best friends.Coach Mac. has been around a lot of success that is a fact. However, he has not been a coordinator and does not live in the northeast and will not have the same type of support or situation(s) he had at Chapin or Franklin. The fact that he has not coord. is not his fault and I believe he will have become a coord. soon as his name is now out there. Coach Torres is young and has been the asst. Head coach at Irvin and left to Austin to be the defensive coord.He has coached both sides of the ball and has been a head coach in the capacity of track. He has coached at Irvin while they were a playoff team and his first year at Austin they went to playoffs, although it was coming off there 2 year streak and padilla left. He is young and experienced enough to be a head coach and believe he would be at irvin for the next 20 years. Coach Urias should have been a finalist. He is a great coach and really cares about Irvin and the kids there as well as teachers. There is no doubt he is an asset to Irvin. Whether he is a head coach I am not sure...but I do feel that if Irvin does not select an "Irvin Guy" it going to turn some people off for sometime. I know Irvin can not afford to lose anymore support....and this process has taken way too long we are already heading into March. I feel really bad for the kids and Irvin community. I think that the Athletic Director, Principal, and all others involved have dragged this out for months. This is a huge decision and should have been a priority from the day they knew Cliff Olander was going to be "forced" to resign. Im an out of towner now but still keep in contact with a lot of former rockets who are still present in the NE community and abroad. I can not believe that E.P.I.S.D has let this happen. I wish could hear Tony Shaw's thoughts now. This is shameful. Go Rockets and I hope that in 5-10 years from now I can look back and say "He Made the RIGHT choice."

all i know is that they need to make a hire asap. Not to make all of us Irvin people happy but to get some of these 8th graders to go to Irvin, you got Canyon Hills a feeder school lots of talent going there n might have the best 8th grader in the city going to Irvin but they need to hurry up before all these other NE High schools go get these players to not go to Irvin! Come on now

As I've stated before in other posts, Coach Mac has had a lot of experience in regards to the offense at both Chapin and Franklin.. The spread type of offense that has been ran at both have come from him.. Basically he is the pass offense coordinator. The passing game has led to the success of both programs and has been the bread and butter especially at Chapin and it showed this year at Franklin with B. Layne and company.. He is a big part of game planning on weekends based off film of the opponent on what could be ran in concerns to the passing game. He is also very familiar with the run game as it correlates to opening up the passing game.. His responsibilities include being up in the box with a head set with direct communication to both Coach Brown, the OC, and Walker. He is their eyes, he gives his input on play calls, play possiblities, defensive coverages, player personnel, etc. He is also very familiar with the defense and schemes as he is a student of the game.. He has a great feel and read on defenses that have made his passing game successful.. He is also Coach Walkers right hand man in regards to budgeting, getting equipment ordered, stuff for the staff, etc. He helps Coach Walk out a ton and is very familiar with some of the duties of being a head coach.. He runs the 7 on 7, is in charge of strength and conditioning, and works closely with the skill positions including QB's... I feel that in NE, if given the opportunity his spread type offense would be a success with the athletes.. Lets not forget Canyons 8th grade won city this past year and Irvin will get a good feed of those kids.. Once Irvin is established as a winning program they wont have to be competing for kids with Andress and Chapin. He is still young so he would be in for the long hull not a guy looking to retire any soon.. More so a guy looking to be a part of and re-establishing a winning tradition and making a name for himself as a head coach.. Coach Mac too has been a head Track coach was the Coach of the year, something else to add to his resume.. On top of all that of course being a NE guy helps in regard to relating to those kids, understanding their backgrounds, helping them being successful after football.. He is a prime example of it.. Last but not least he knows how to win.. Apart of 4 District Championships at Chapin, 2 3rd round playoff appearances, success at Franklin, and having learned from the best under Coach Walker.. I really feel he is the best for the job along with how everyone else feels about their guy Coach Mac def. gets my vote...

@ former rocket

what have they done at ysleta? they have put more kids in college to play ball then irvin, andress, and even parkland in the last few years. sure they haven't gone to the playoffs or won a DC, but their kids move on and keep playing...this year they had the second leading rusher in the city...before playoff numbers. i think they have done all that they can. are all of them great coaches? of course not, but they are better than most other coaches around the city who win on talent only and not coaching ability.

Canyon Hills feeds into Chapin. Magoffin goes to Irvin.

stop all your wishing, it's Wells that's going to get the job. Everyone knows he is one of Kenny Owens boys. He will get it for sure, it happened at Mt view, happened at el paso high and will happen at Irvin that's guaranteed.

Those Coaches at Ysleta get out coached and out recruited in an open enrollment system where they can recruit on the same level as DV and Riverside. Now thats all up to the coaches at Ysleta to ge out of their lazy a__es and get the kids to win. and thats bull they dont have more kids in college verify it so we can actually look it up in the net. DV is the one of the ones that sends more players of to college Hey Ysleta its gonna be another year those coaches will fail in making the playoffs.

Yup.. Official.. Wells got the job... Both Coach Mac and Torres were passed up..

Congrats to coach wells the right man for the job. Irvin we should be grateful we hired this man now we will know what being ready for a game is all about. Coach Wells will bring good coaching back to irvin.Good luck Coach looking forward to a great year.

big mistake. I have nothing bad to say about coach Wells, he is a good coach, but Coach Mac should have got the job. He would have done wonders with those kids. Torres should have got the job before Wells. Wells is a journey men that is close to retirement. He better surround himself with some great assistant coaches if he wants to succeed there. Great news is that Coach Mac will be part of the Franklin program at least for a while longer, the program would not be the same without him.No matter what people think about EPISD athletics one thing is true, Kenny Owens played a huge part in Wells getting the job-lots of politics in that one. Good luck coach wells and Irvin High

Quote: Irvin Parent
Congrats to coach wells the right man for the job. Irvin we should be grateful we hired this man now we will know what being ready for a game is all about. Coach Wells will bring good coaching back to irvin.Good luck Coach looking forward to a great year.
No way. You passed up to people that would have had their hearts in the job.Way to go principal at IHS and Owens. Owens hired a friend and a guy that left El paso for another job, got fired for infractions on his staff, and came back cuz owens promised him a job. Good old boys strike again.

Quote: Crown 7
big mistake. I have nothing bad to say about coach Wells, he is a good coach, but Coach Mac should have got the job. He would have done wonders with those kids. Torres should have got the job before Wells. Wells is a journey men that is close to retirement. He better surround himself with some great assistant coaches if he wants to succeed there. Great news is that Coach Mac will be part of the Franklin program at least for a while longer, the program would not be the same without him.No matter what people think about EPISD athletics one thing is true, Kenny Owens played a huge part in Wells getting the job-lots of politics in that one. Good luck coach wells and Irvin High

Could not agree with you more Crown..

I agree! Look up Codey Ledbetter! Wells was all in on covering up his boy!

And I quote, "Howard Well was the offensive coordinator of NMSU during those years. Wells became head coach of Mountain View and brought Ledbetter with him to be offensive coordinator. Boy was there some shady things going on. After the Principal, Rick Hernandez, was in trouble, Wells left. Wells got the job at El Paso High, took Ledbetter and Burge with him. They stayed only for one or two years, I can't remember. Wells left for Alvarado High School and everything hit the fan there. Ledbetter and Burge had followed. Well got canned because of all the trouble and is back teacher, not coaching, at Franklin as his wife wanted him to settle down. Ledbetter was a pain."

And he will be quoted tomorrow in the paper saying, "Irvin has always been the school I have wanted to coach"... a la Ronnie Hernandez.

Head coach stipend will boost his pay by a bunch. 5 years to a better retirement baby! Then, once the program is completely bottomed out, give the job to Mac or Torres.

Heard He was keeping some of the Irvin staff for one year then slowly one by one he get his people?
Howard my not be the youngest but he was the most qualified. Mac is all world according to jim Iam sure he is the one posting, well let him get out of his confort zone and become a OC or DC and take it from there. And Mark well win some games or at least put a sound defensive game plan and adjustments together Good luck Coach wells and if Keeny owens is infact suggesting on the hiring for future successor do the right thing remenber Owens was an AP when that tek scandal happend and resign with rick .

I hate to say it Mark Torres is the best man for the job. I do not necessarily like him personally but he is a great coach. He left Irvin to become a coordinator to be able to later apply for the head coaching job at irvin. He gave up many things for the Irvin program and still does even if he is not physically there. He always did everything he did for the kids. The day he left those boys lost hope and any type of motivation. This is coming from someone who saw everything happen. Leave your personal opinions and see who is the best man for the job. He breaths football.

Oh good goosh "Real" is ethier one of the Toores brothers or Mark himself. Well was the best choice and mark needs to do a better job with that Austin defense.

According to another football web site, Howard Wells was named Irvin's new head football coach. No information other than that was given. Anyone know anything about him?

The word is Wells is the new Head Coach! And it has been confirmed! Who will wells hire as OC? Heard he might get someone who is already a coordinator at another school? Any info anybody?

Michealbust from la jeff,

Michael Bust?

Quote: foxy
Michealbust from la jeff,
wow. another good old boy, great success at jeff. Should have hired Torres or Mac

There is a reason Wells has been at 50 different places. Once they figure out he is all talk, they get rid of him. Bad hire. Not saying Torres should have got it, but I am shocked that another incompetent coach gets recycled.

Source: I worked for Wells at EPHS

He's Bring back Leo Hand from retirement to be his DC. It all fall back to Kenny "G" Owens

incredible. I never took much interest in Irvin, but give me a break. Michaelbust and Hand. Guys know their Xs and Os but they are gonna have such a hard time relating to those kids. Also those coaches have not had success in a very long time anywhere. Kenny Owens should take a slap in the face for this one down the road. I cant believe that Irvin parents agreed to this stuff with the hiring committee

Opinion from just up the road at the arch rival school, this is going to be the movie Space Cowboys carried out in high school football only in this movie the rocket crashes and burns.

Everyone who has ever been around Wells knows this is going to end bad. Sometimes in coaching and academia, a person comes along who is so bad that they can only hold down a job for a year or two. So they bounce around High Schools and JC's getting fired everywhere they go. However, they may happen upon a winning season or work for a solid coach along the way. Before you know it, they have a solid resume. That is coach Wells in a nutshell.

Wells keeps getting promoted and respected because of the places that have won despite him. One thing I will say, he has a knack for hiring good assistants. This is just ridiculous.

What about that guy think his name was Damin why didnt he get the job.Any body accept Wells!

Quote: Dabomb
What about that guy think his name was Damin why didnt he get the job.Any body accept Wells!

Well as i look at all ur guys replys and i shake my head yall wonder y el paso teams suck yall rather choose the less intelligent friend or alum instead a well trained coach who just might bring ur pathetic dump of a school back to a decent level comin from an Andress Eagle who was part of this years team (which killed irvin 48-0) i will stand behind Wells he is intelligent and like i said maybe he can bring irvin up to competition levels but the willingness comes from irvin kids that have few talents so you guys can keep talking but i personally have witnessed how good of a coach he is test him out before you hit the internet.- We out!

Quote: 77. B

Well as i look at all ur guys replys and i shake my head yall wonder y el paso teams suck yall rather choose the less intelligent friend or alum instead a well trained coach who just might bring ur pathetic dump of a school back to a decent level comin from an Andress Eagle who was part of this years team (which killed irvin 48-0) i will stand behind Wells he is intelligent and like i said maybe he can bring irvin up to competition levels but the willingness comes from irvin kids that have few talents so you guys can keep talking but i personally have witnessed how good of a coach he is test him out before you hit the internet.- We out!

good reply!!
hes already working hard with them in the weight room Irvin kids have to be sold not everyone that is on here!! Irvin will be back n there getting some good coaches over there from what i hear!!GO ROCKETS

Yeah look at his resume tho put his against Damin's, Damin's will win. Every where Wells went he got fired.He got fired out of El Paso High that's pretty bad. Same with the other schools he was at, the only reason he got in at Andress is because he is good friend's with Kenny Owens. Damin is fine coach go to schools he has coached in. Ask the kids what he has done for them and when you here their response then you will know where I am coming from.

who is Damin?

John Damin class of 89' Andress High School coached Paul Smith and Bryan Young. He has coached at Andress, Bel Air, Jefferson, Austin. He is currently at Charles Middle in the Northeast. For this man helps kids like you wouldn't believe for he cares about them not just now but in the future as well. He wants to know what college there going too. And what they are doing to acomplish these goals. He truely is an awesome man.

Sounds like a quality guy. Did he apply?

ya he did and didnt get an interview. owen doesnt like him cuz when he was the dc at jeff he didnt accpet an on campus position. he has a special needs son and couldnt move at the time in dealing with his care. so kenny black balled him and hasnt allowed him to coach at the high school level since. so its not suprising to see that he didnt get an interview.

John Damin has got to be blogging about himself. Since being in el paso have heard many Damin stories and none of them were positive. He messed up at Andress, Austin and Jefferson

This is one of the players' he coached and if u knew anything about wut happen at jeferson or any of those other place .he left there because of his son.His son is handicap and the people higher above didnt like that so the fired him. So dont shoot off your mouth about stuff you dont know about.

This guy is the most dislike coach in el paso He cheat the distict by lieing about his schedule filed a grivance at Riverside, andress, Austin and Jefferson.
At austin he was assigned to flim practice when he he was a actual coach, then he was assigned the weight room where claimed to have suffered a heat stroke and filed another grivance. and know he is a middle school coach trying to get back into HS I dont see that occuring. He thinks he knows more the he actually does. If you do want find fact ask Jeff coaches Andress and Austin and Riverside theres alot sources there for you guys dont take my word ask around.

Exactly correct "Fact..." these are the same things I have heard about damin for years. No coach would promote this guy except himself. He has not done one thing good at high school level. Been demoted at every h.s. he worked at. And now promoting himself here, what a joke.

Unfortunatley there were some idoit middle school coaches who bought into this guys crap and ruin their careers, Hopefully it serves as a lesson for young coaches aviod people like this if you want a future in coaching.

IRIVN SHOULD BE ALIGHT IN 2011

Quote: ROCKET
IRIVN SHOULD BE ALIGHT IN 2011

As long as it is not a spelling contest!!!!!! Hilarious. Huukt on fonix wurkd 4 mee.......

John Damin class of 89' Andress High School coached Paul Smith and Bryan Young. He has coached at Andress, Bel Air, Jefferson, Austin. He is currently at Charles Middle in the Northeast. For this man helps kids like you wouldn't believe for he cares about them not just now but in the future as well. He wants to know what college there going too. And what they are doing to acomplish these goals. He truely is an awesome man.

Ok i played for both damin and wells ya damin is a good coach but so is wells. Wells knows his football he coached college ball as well as high school damin is still coaching middle school ball he is fitted for that i honestly dont think he would make it far in high school he can prove me wrong but thats my opinion

Crown7 has Torres done anything other then a backstabber. He was a "Co-offensive coord" at Irvin hmmm.I would of hate to be Coach Urias looking behind my back.Torres knew what was going down at Irvin with resigning of the old head coach.Now lets talk Crown7 did Torres played college ball the only thing he did was college track.He had talent in his track team at Irvin like Edwards and other. But my question is why did Torres leave Irvin and answer for coord job he was a co-offensive coord,did you smell it or see it.

Quote: Golden Paw
Crown7 has Torres done anything other then a backstabber. He was a "Co-offensive coord" at Irvin hmmm.I would of hate to be Coach Urias looking behind my back.Torres knew what was going down at Irvin with resigning of the old head coach.Now lets talk Crown7 did Torres played college ball the only thing he did was college track.He had talent in his track team at Irvin like Edwards and other. But my question is why did Torres leave Irvin and answer for coord job he was a co-offensive coord,did you smell it or see it.
I made the statement a long time ago. I was basically stating that Torres being a former Rocket might be a good fit for him and school, as far as his character I cant reply because I do not know him. I really wanted Coach Mac from Franklin get the job.As far as having a head coach that played college ball-who cares-I know some guys that played a few years in the pros and that does not make them great coaches automatically. I am not sticking up for torres.Coach Mac- He would have done some great things out there. Oh well, good luck coach wells.

Mr.Crown 7 you are a gentleman I understand where you are coming from but your views are respected.

Copyright © 2004-2014 EP GRIDIRON. All Rights Reserved.