WELCOME TO THE EP GRIDIRON FORUM                                                                                  FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES: CLICK HERE
EPGRIDIRONFORUM
Index > EL PASO, TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL, MIDDLE SCHOOL AND YOUTH FOOTBALL > - VARSITY > One thing in common with all our most recent winners at 7on7
Forum: - VARSITY
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
One thing in common with all our most recent winners at 7on7

One thing in common with the tree schools that have won 7on7 tourneys this summer so far is that all three schools (Riverside, Franklin, Del Valle) all have a strong showing in the city's flag football scene. I know for sure that these three schools feild several flag teams year round. I am a strong believer in that flag football develops great QB to WR's timing and the skill position quemistry come together very well in the flag game. In my opinion, I think more high schools should look into fielding flag football teams in the city leagues to make El Paso high school football more competitive with the rest of the state.

Re: One thing in common with all our most recent winners at 7on7

Some of those El Paso teams that play in those city leagues also lose in those 7on7 tourneys and do not make it to college station for the state 7on7 championship. So those that lose and win in 7on7 city league flag football games have that in common too. Don't only look at it only at your angle that satisfies your agenda or purpose.

Alot of teams participate in 7on7 flag football. Take Andress for example. Andress plays lots of flag football and they have not been to college station for the state 7on7 tournament. Andress even struggles to get pass the 1st round of the playoffs and that's against a El Paso team in the first round.

Don't be hyping up city league flag football as if it's the answer to all.

All players just have to sacrifice more and work their tails off harder and take the offseason alot more serious. Get healthy like eating right. Getting faster, stronger, bigger with real muscle mass not fat muscle mass. Leave the girlies alone and stop the drinking. Coaches also have to get smarter and learn the game inside and out instead of running the darn same plays over and over again and again.

Pokerface i can tell u, u dont know what ur talking about at all. Where does Andres play their flag football? Tell me where specifically? Opie their QB has played in the past and as a youth almost all the time, but as a HS player he has not. Andres doesnt put an enphasis on flag or 7 on 7 and believe in pounding the ball, which never works outside of el paso.

Ask Nick Wade, Angel Garcia, Garret Clark, Brian Hinojo, Tim Rocha, Michael Courtney, chriatian haack, domingo torres, the skilled players out of del valle, the skilled players out of riverside, the skill out of franklin, el dorado, montwood, eastwood, canutillo and horizon play spring flag football from april threw may and tell me it doesnt work! Hell go as far as middle school ball and u see themmout their developing in the spring as well!

This old mentality of starting of the kids young in tackle is an outdated mentality already! Yeah lets put our good players in tackle at age 5,6 or 7 so by the time their in middle school which is 12 years old they have a jump start on everyone else with 6+ years of damage on their bodies, with another 6 years of damage left with middle school and high school! You see it all the time! Great youn players that go no where because they are injury pron because of so many injuries at a young age and youth tackle coahes that could care less about them because winning is all that matters to them.

Flag football/7 on 7 teaches All Players, how to run routes, catch the ball and throw the ball. It shows defenders how to properly cover on defense and understand what is heppening in front of them. What does tackle football show the kids? How to take a HIT? How to be Pigeon holed into a position the rest of ur player carreer?

I coach both, but find the development of flag football more rewarding and beneficial. Tackle of course is where all of our kids are headed. Its just some will headed out their with more developed skill than others based on the journey they take getting their and it is showing now with kids taking their skill development more serious in the spring with Flag Football and 7 on 7.

In the spring u can see a change in some youth tackle coaches mentality as well now. Players from the raiders, tbirds, razorbacks, panthers, wranglers, w.s. Long horns, rampage, seahawks, e.p. cowboys, clint lions, renegades and tribe have players playing spring flag. The Long Horns took a championship this spring in the 10u age group, along with the ex-sea hawks players that are now freshman and 8th graders, they took the 14u championship. Del Valle took the HS championship again this year and the kids from franklin had a shot but had to drop because of the 7 on 7 qualifier and look at them headed to state now!

Quote: Flag Football
Pokerface i can tell u, u dont know what ur talking about at all. Where does Andres play their flag football? Tell me where specifically? Opie their QB has played in the past and as a youth almost all the time, but as a HS player he has not. Andres doesnt put an enphasis on flag or 7 on 7 and believe in pounding the ball, which never works outside of el paso.

Ask Nick Wade, Angel Garcia, Garret Clark, Brian Hinojo, Tim Rocha, Michael Courtney, chriatian haack, domingo torres, the skilled players out of del valle, the skilled players out of riverside, the skill out of franklin, el dorado, montwood, eastwood, canutillo and horizon play spring flag football from april threw may and tell me it doesnt work! Hell go as far as middle school ball and u see themmout their developing in the spring as well!

This old mentality of starting of the kids young in tackle is an outdated mentality already! Yeah lets put our good players in tackle at age 5,6 or 7 so by the time their in middle school which is 12 years old they have a jump start on everyone else with 6+ years of damage on their bodies, with another 6 years of damage left with middle school and high school! You see it all the time! Great youn players that go no where because they are injury pron because of so many injuries at a young age and youth tackle coahes that could care less about them because winning is all that matters to them.

Flag football/7 on 7 teaches All Players, how to run routes, catch the ball and throw the ball. It shows defenders how to properly cover on defense and understand what is heppening in front of them. What does tackle football show the kids? How to take a HIT? How to be Pigeon holed into a position the rest of ur player carreer?

I coach both, but find the development of flag football more rewarding and beneficial. Tackle of course is where all of our kids are headed. Its just some will headed out their with more developed skill than others based on the journey they take getting their and it is showing now with kids taking their skill development more serious in the spring with Flag Football and 7 on 7.

In the spring u can see a change in some youth tackle coaches mentality as well now. Players from the raiders, tbirds, razorbacks, panthers, wranglers, w.s. Long horns, rampage, seahawks, e.p. cowboys, clint lions, renegades and tribe have players playing spring flag. The Long Horns took a championship this spring in the 10u age group, along with the ex-sea hawks players that are now freshman and 8th graders, they took the 14u championship. Del Valle took the HS championship again this year and the kids from franklin had a shot but had to drop because of the 7 on 7 qualifier and look at them headed to state now!
I guess you are a parent of a flag football playe or coach. proably both. it is good to develope some skills and timing and keeps kids involved in the game. But as kids get older they need to get in the weightroom and get stronger and more explosive. A lot of times they spend to much tyime with the flags and 7 on 7 when they should spend extra time in the weightroom. It would also kep them from getting hurt all the time so they can last thru the season

I actually coach both and agree that once they enter high school and potentially even in 8th grade they need to hit the weight room. What i was stating is that kids develop better and in the end are more diverse and less injury prone. Kids that start young in tackle and only play tackle are injury prone and stuck in 1 offense position and defensive position pretty much the rest of their life because its all they have been shown.

If ur a wr than thats all u will be and in city league tackle, good luck because ur 99% of the time goig to be strictly a blocking reciever. Ull never be shown to actually correctly run routes and catch the ball. Same goes for the QB position, they will either be handing off the ball 70% of the time, running with it the other 29% of the time or throwing ducks in the air the other 1% of the time because they havent been shown how to properly pass and read the defense. You see it all the time.

We get city tackle kids every august and have literally 1 week to get them ready before our first game starts. What city league coaches are teaching these kids is crap! Yes we get 1 or 2 decent kids in the bunch, but it is raw talent they have, not talent that was developed by them. Their recievers come to us not really knowing how to catch or run routes. Their rb's have bad elbows or ankles from being overly worked at a young age, the lineman are chop blocking at the Knees because their coaxhes said i was ok. Im serious in saying youth tackle in El Paso is horrible and needs to be better monitored. If you want ur player to develop and actually learn skilled positions, not just a position, spring flag is the way to go.... They will learn to pass because its 95% passing, learn to catch and run routes. They will learn to cover on defense as LB's and DB's and unerdtand what is going on in front of them. There is the difference... What do you get out of youth tackle other than leanring how to hit and take a hit? Not much if u arent the RB or QB running the ball the majority of the time... Not much if ur a DB that isnt covering much passing because its always run....

Take a look at where football in el paso is headed... I should say True football.... Nolan Richardson middle won the city division ii championship this past school year literally running a spread offense and throwing the ball. Look at El dorado, montwood, del valle, riverside, Franklin, canutillo and others now. They are still running, but it aint smash mouth no more, they are passing that rock and spreading defenses! What do kids get out of city tackle or bring to middle school and high school football if city league tackle is stuck on supposed smash mouth football? Coach Sep must be mentoring them all.

I do not believe that NRMS won the championship this year... Mcarther demolished them for the 8th graders and the 7th graders got rolled like three games. Maybe your talking basketball... no Bassett beat them in that sport too.

Copyright © 2004-2014 EP GRIDIRON. All Rights Reserved.