WELCOME TO THE EP GRIDIRON FORUM                                                                                                            FORUM RULES & GUIDELINES: CLICK HERE

Index > EP GRIDIRON - News and Opinions > - VARSITY > Montwood vs Abilene who wins?
Forum: - VARSITY
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Montwood vs Abilene who wins?

Alright guys. Out of towners already have Montwood losing this game before the teams have even arrived to the stadium.

You know even if it was Coronado, El Dorado or any other El Paso team besides Montwood playing Abilene that these out of towners would still have Abilene winning this game.

It seems like those out of towners have forgotten that Coach Veliz and his former team Del Valle beat Abilene in the playoffs when all out of towners thought the exact same way then that they are thinking now.

Abilene is good but so is Montwood. It's the playoffs and it's anyone's game. Good luck to both teams.

I say Montwood wins
Montwood 33 Abilene 30

Re: Montwood vs Abilene who wins?

When, where, and time?
Abilene 45
Montwood 7
Watched both teams play!
Ab hi rb's are fast

Oh I'm sorry. Didn't know you were interested in watching Coach Veliz beat Abilene again in the playoffs.

Here you go
Montwood vs Abilene
7 pm cst
Friday
Grande Communications Stadium in Midland

Haha!! I really don't care who wins!!
I just want to see a great game.
Tascosa vs montwood was ugly
America's vs am hi, had some pretty good athletes! It was a great game.
Central vs ep Coronado wasn't bad.
I will be there to watch del Valle win..

do people realize that Coach Chuckie Veliz has played Abilene several times since he got his upset victory TEN years ago..I mean really TEN years ago..wow...isnt it time to let that go..and how many times has chuckie won since then,,,NONE...wow you guys are amazing...ten years ago...most of these players were only seven years old...get off the david vs. goliath trip..that played out many moons ago..it is like you guys are whistling in the graveyard..scared too death///

Abilene big....

Hey Matthew are you going to this game?

It would be nice if Montwood was completely healthy. They have done well considering Britton has not been playing. They have a tough road ahead of them but I would not count them out just yet.

No Friday night I'll be at Lake Dallas-Burges

Quote: abey
do people realize that Coach Chuckie Veliz has played Abilene several times since he got his upset victory TEN years ago..I mean really TEN years ago..wow...isnt it time to let that go..and how many times has chuckie won since then,,,NONE...wow you guys are amazing...ten years ago...most of these players were only seven years old...get off the david vs. goliath trip..that played out many moons ago..it is like you guys are whistling in the graveyard..scared too death///

a guey I was referring to the idiots like you who count El Paso teams out before the El Paso players actually get off the bus.

I was saying that when Abilene played Del Valle when Coach Veliz was head coach there everyone like yourself at that time counted out Coach Veliz and Del Valle before they even got off the bus and BAMMMM they eliminated Abilene from the playoffs. Out of town idiots always count out El Paso teams before the freaking coin flip.

2012 playoffs are not here yet and I bet you along with other out of town idiots already have El Paso teams losing early in the playoffs before the 2012 regular season has even started.

Hey tackle they can count us out but who is still playing this week? Lubbock monty, and Amarillo tascosa? Don't think so, it is the ep teams. Abilene has a good team but that is why the games are played. I will go with the rams to pull the upset of the night!

Hope so Meangreen...it would be nice to get a few "upsets" this weekend. Good luck to the Rams.

where did Amarillo Tascosa finish in their district? Lubbock Monterry will be a four A school..and yea EP teams are counted out..HISTORY kind of dictates that..once every ten years EP pulls an upset..Dont think this will be that year..so I guess it is not bad for chuckie to pull an upset once every ten years..guess he is due!! watch out abilene..chuckie is coming for you!..

abey can you please tell me if Odessa Permian is still in the playoffs??? Thanks

Quote: Juco
abey can you please tell me if Odessa Permian is still in the playoffs??? Thanks

Permian was beaten, badly, last week by Arlington Bowie 42-7.

Was that meant to say abey is a permian fan?

abilene high won their district cooper was second, permian third and then midland,,,Abilene beat everyone by no closer than 21 points...Montwood ws seconf in their district and didnt they lose to midland lee who did not mae the playoffs in their district..Tascosa was a third place finisher in their district with Monterrey last..san angelo central won it with amarillo second..so with that being said we can see that franklin and montwwod received the good draw in the first round..el paso teams can beat a third or fourth place team from time to time..but i would have to say taht all El Paso teams will be turning it in on monday

Coronado, who finished 5th and is a small school come playoff time and wasn't even supposed to be in the playoffs was within a 2 point conversion of being tied with San Angelo with 2 minutes left so that kinda throws your theory out.

Abet,
Ab hi vs lee was a 4 pt game with 2 min left. We threw a lateral which they recovered in the ez. So check your facts first.
They ran a hideout play to score one TD, which of course Abilene officials didn't see. What a surprise!!!!
Lee was on the 3 yd line and didn't score because of an illegal procedure..
So lee who didn't get in actually had a shot to beat the mighty eagles!! Lol.
Their time will come

not really when Americas was within reach of franklin and I would have to say that the distraction of the week... since neither team had a chance to really prepare for that game,,film exchange was already with el dorado so basically you had to try and prepare for both teams and go into the game blind...huge advantage coronado..with time to prepare didnt san angelo beat our district champion? jus wondering

Midland lee had the biggest and most physical team in 3-5A. But could only win one district game, pretty sad really. The parchman days are gone for lee. Abilene did what all good teams do and found a way to win. They had the lee game in hand the whole time.

Huge advantage to a team that had already turned in their equipment and wasn't even prepared to play another game? Wow, that's an interesting thought. So I guess Coronado sat a home all weekend watching film on San Angelo just for fun so they were better prepared? Impressive idea there. Yes, San Angelo beat Franklin in 5 overtimes in a game Franklin should have won. What point does that make? Except mine. If they beat our DC and El Do beat Coronado, they shouldn't have needed that much preparation IF they were really that good. They aren't THAT GOOD just because their name says San Angelo.

The biggest??? Lol..
That's insane..... Did you watch mid hi, Od Permian, ab cooper?
I can get you roster if you want!!

Yes the most physical because Morton is finally getting his program on the right track. Sure would love have the kids parchman had back then. 6 d1 kids that played at d1 schools. 3 were nominated for the best lineman award in college football one year.
I haven't seen a cedric benson since then.
Abilene high had the most speed at running back.
2 of them as of matter of fact.
Lee RB breaks one tackle he will get caught 20 yards downfield.

I wonder if they felt they had the game in hand!!
I'm sure they did. But like I said, their day will come.
We won't ever be as big as those other teams and we won't have as much speed but we will always be more physical because of James Morton!

Just out of curiosity abey, and I doubt you'll answer, did your school even make the playoffs? Or are you on here just talking trash about the teams that did?

well if they are not that good what does that say about us here in el paso if san angelo won their district..we beat a couple of average teams from the panhandle..now we have to play the big boys and well.... turn in your gear..

That's what I thought. Just trash talking. The games will be played by the kids, not be the people who talk trash on here. I wish ALL the EP teams the best of luck. Win or lose, they bust their butts everyday to play a game but hopefully we can find a way to win a few more games.

why dont we all go and sing kumbaya and love each other,,why can't we just get along'''boo hoo hoo

Yeah, the adults among us can cheer for the kids while the crybabys out there just hope all the teams lose because they weren't good enough to still be playing.

didnt san angelo beat our district champion? jus wondering

My friend that is true but San Angelo Central had to do it in 5 overtimes in their own backyard jam packed with San Angelo fans against a El Paso team in Franklin.

Keep hating on El Paso teams simply for the fact that Midland Lee and Odessa Permian are out and have to turn it in already.

By the way when are you going to become a head coach? Still getting turned down?

why dont we all go and sing kumbaya and love each other,,why can't we just get along'''boo hoo hoo

abey you are just venting since your team either

(A) did not make the playoffs
or
(B) have already been eliminated

Bro do yourself a favor and get a grip of yourself before you wreck yourself. Just wish the remaining West Texas teams still alive good luck and that's it. Have some class.

You and the Lee guy are trying to turn this Montwood and Abilene thread as a Midland Lee thread which is loser mentality and being haters. Grow some man.

Hey don't forget a few years back it was Montwood who beat lee and had them turn their equipment for the year! Again that is why the games are played. So good luck Franklin and Montwood this Friday. Don't buy into their negative ideas and mentality.

Quote: Edgar

abey you are just venting since your team either

(A) did not make the playoffs
or
(B) have already been eliminated

Bro do yourself a favor and get a grip of yourself before you wreck yourself. Just wish the remaining West Texas teams still alive good luck and that's it. Have some class.

You and the Lee guy are trying to turn this Montwood and Abilene thread as a Midland Lee thread which is loser mentality and being haters. Grow some man.

Haha what a funny guy!
I guess I will grow some!!! Lol.. Thanks george lopez...
More like 4 years ago! Haha! I guess you will live off that for a while.. Lol
I'm done rooting for yalls ass!!

typical El paso, win one time in ten years and that is all they got

Such bitterness.

Dont know much about Montwood other than the 9-1 record and that history is against them. Abilene is loaded this year and the Eagles should win easily. I doubt Montwood has seen the kind of speed they are going to see Friday night. Unless this Montwood team is THE team that finally breaks thru for EP, like it seems Harlingen may be for the RGV, the Eagles will stomp a mudhole in Montwood.

Guys did Midland Lee make it to the playoffs?

Hello all! Just for the sake of disclosure I am a AHS fan/parent therefore please forgive my hints of homerism!

First, safe travels to both teams and fans!

Second, like I said in another thread this may be the most balanced team Abilene has had in years. For those that may not be familiar we will have between 18-20 underclassmen starting this Friday. We have all year, but even though they are young they are very talented. They have received on the job training in the predistrict schedule and had a great district run. I would say overall team speed is faster than it ever has been. We have always had that fast kid, but never have we had fast kids all over the field. Slowest kid on defense is about a 4.9 and he is a sophomore growing into an animal.

Offensively, we have good backs as usual. Both very fast and very quick on cuts. The difference this year is we have very very fast receivers too. In addition a QB that will not scare you "if" he runs but can kill you with his arm.

Basically what we have seen since the change in the offensive scheme around the 4th game in predistrict is if you load up on the pass then we run and vice versa. Last game 314yd on ground and 160 in the air. Prior 3 games 350+ in the air and 150-200 on the ground. It all depended on what the other team decided to focus on. Offensively we will be very tough to defend.

The question is the defense. We are small (as usual) very fast and agressive. Our DB's were a weakness at the beginning of the year but have grown up and are now probably an overall good group that is improving the last 4-5 games. We have pretty much shut down 3 passing teams. And we allowed a total of 50 yards rushing to good running teams in two games.

Can anyone give me some insight to Montwood. My understanding is they have some speed.

As far as writing off El Paso before they get off the bus, I don't think that is the case. Abilene is taking Montwood very seriously as always. What El Paso has to understand is that until you win the game it is hard to get respect. You may be a very very good team but you have to win the game. No disrespect intended but 2 years ago all we heard was this was the best team ever to come out of El Paso. 11-0 killing everyone and Abilene was gonna go down. We all know how that ended. Not saying it cannot happen just saying you cannot demand everyone in the state recognize how good you are until you win the game.

All are right in that we play the game for a reason! Looking forward to Friday!

Quote: Juco
Guys did Midland Lee make it to the playoffs?

Haha! Nope!
That's why we are watching your teams play!
So I'm off to grow some man!
Good luck

Quote: observer
It would be nice if Montwood was completely healthy. They have done well considering Britton has not been playing. They have a tough road ahead of them but I would not count them out just yet.[/quote WERE IS EB ,WHY IS HE NOT PLAYING ?

All I hear is that he suffered a leg injury vs Franklin. I have no first hand information. That is just what has been reported.

I've seen Abilene play three times this year(Hanks, Trinity, Longview) and Montwood once(last week). Montwood is at least as big as the Eagles, but Abilene has a lot more speed. The Montwwod coaches better come up with a good gameplan to counter the speed.

I think they have a chance......... a little one.

JUst wondering if BRITTON will be playing this weekend?

Cmon eagledad61, why bring up that ridiculous statement about 2009 Coronado? No one in this area with any knowledge of the history of football locally would have made that claim. That Coronado team beat El Dorado 10-7, Canutillo (4a) by a TD and had another close game vs Montwood. They weren't killing "everyone". Some people in this area saw that they stomped Midland Lee (weak that year) and put them on a pedestal. In my opinion 1990 Andress is the best team out of this area in the last 30 years.

Montwood has a decent offense but they will not be able to stop Abilene at all. Don't worry about this El Paso team at all, they weren't even District champions.

Quote: SayWhat?
Cmon eagledad61, why bring up that ridiculous statement about 2009 Coronado? No one in this area with any knowledge of the history of football locally would have made that claim. That Coronado team beat El Dorado 10-7, Canutillo (4a) by a TD and had another close game vs Montwood. They weren't killing "everyone". Some people in this area saw that they stomped Midland Lee (weak that year) and put them on a pedestal. In my opinion 1990 Andress is the best team out of this area in the last 30 years.

Montwood has a decent offense but they will not be able to stop Abilene at all. Don't worry about this El Paso team at all, they weren't even District champions.

2009 El Dorado allowed something like 8 points a game, something like top 5 in the state that year... El Dorado, Montwood, and Coronado were ranked in the top 25 statewise at some point during that year.. Canutillo needed a large 2nd back comeback..

I think the 2005 Franklin team was better than 2009 Coronado, not taking anything away from the T-Birds, but Franklin ran through District with immense ease, and then beat a very good Mansfield Summit team. They also had a very balanced attack running and passing.

2009 Coronado was very good though, 2010 Coronado probably would have been even better if Sam Brown was able to play. They were missing some good players last year.

As for Montwood this year, they are not even close, they weren't even the best team in 1-5A. They do have a very good QB though, and they have decent speed. If Britton plays, Montwood will keep it close, if he doesn't, it will be up to Angel Garcia to keep the Rams in it.

I think Abilene wins by 3 TDs.

Hey Jake thanks for the support!!!! Anyways go rams!!!!

As the saying goes "offense wins games, defense wins championships." Abilene has speed huh? Well Rams, be sure you hit them Eagles HARD. Remove their speed by removing their legs. Show them you arent to be messed with. As for rams offense, smash-mouth football is all I got to say. Goodluck to Montwood. I hope you represent El Paso well. Believe in yourselves! Im rooting for you guys!

Quote: Meangreen
Hey Jake thanks for the support!!!! Anyways go rams!!!!

The Rams have my full support Meangreen, but I am not going to throw out ridiculous predictions. I sat there and listened to the entire Montwood - Tascosa game over the radio and cheered on the Rams the whole time.

Hey Jake it's all good! Good luck again to all teams this coming weekend. Maybe next week we will be talking about the next rounds matchups.

Quote: Meangreen
Hey Jake it's all good! Good luck again to all teams this coming weekend. Maybe next week we will be talking about the next rounds matchups.

That would be a statement for El Paso, to see more than one team in the third round. I'll be rooting for Montwood to take down Abilene, just hope my Cougs advance so I'm in a good mood!

I didnt see last weeks game... is Edorf back? IM a ram dad and im going early to pull for the Franks!!!!Good luck boys go get em!!!......For those who were askin about Britton.... I dont think he will be back.....ever

In order for montwood to come out with a victory the D has to click on all high cylinders and stop there quick speedy backs... They can handle to shut them down just like they did to jack but lets see the effect of their speed should be a close game...i predict montwood comes out with victory 23-14

Good luck and safe travels and play to your fans and players. I don't want to be taken wrong but ur heads are going to spin with the speed Abilene has on both sides of the ball. They are very balanced. Stack the box and they will kill u. Nobody has stOpped this offense. Ur best and only bet is to win a scorefest. That is unlikely with the continued improvement of the defense.

Good luck. I enjoyed reading ur board.

What about the Longview game?

It won't be easy and I wont make a prediction but I still want to say Go Rams. Play hard and bring home a win.

Quote: Abilenefan
Good luck and safe travels and play to your fans and players. I don't want to be taken wrong but ur heads are going to spin with the speed Abilene has on both sides of the ball. They are very balanced. Stack the box and they will kill u. Nobody has stOpped this offense. Ur best and only bet is to win a scorefest. That is unlikely with the continued improvement of the defense.

Good luck. I enjoyed reading ur board.

What about the Harlingen Cardinals a team with almost majority hispanics on their roster that beat Abilene this year.

Harlingen Cardinals 2011 Roster that beat Abilene this year

1 Alex Cisneros WR Sr.
2 Randy Bermea WR Sr.
3 Kevin Ledesma QB Sr.
4 Erik Jorn S Jr.
5 Brian Blake RB Sr.
6 Nathan Prado LB Jr.
7 Daniel Ramirez S Sr.
8 Julian Sais DB Sr.
9 Tadeo Rodriguez DE Sr.
10 Omar Hunter WR Jr.
11 Mark Rosalez WR So.
12 Brandon Garza QB So.
13 Juan Quezada LB Sr.
14 Jared Guerrero WR Jr.
15 Charlie Powers WR, P Sr.
17 Shane McDonald DB Sr.
19 Gilbert Bermea LB So.
20 Daniel Ybarra CB Sr.
21 Alex Caire DB Sr.
22 Grant Gorman K, P Sr.
23 Quinton Jackson DB Sr.
24 Jose Mena DB Sr.
25 Victor Cruz RB Jr.
26 Jesse Gonzalez OLB Sr.
27 Jaime Garza WR Jr.
28 Ramzzie Vasquez LB Jr.
31 Juan Ybarra DB Sr.
36 Jacob Lopez LB Sr.
37 Joel Leon DB Jr.
40 Ernesto Montemayor LB Sr.
42 Justice Ortega DE Sr.
44 Julian Maisonet DE Jr.
45 Micah Bennet LB Jr.
50 Randy Najera OL Sr.
51 Armando Hernandez LB Sr.
52 Javier Anaya DT Sr.
53 Ben Garcia DT Sr.
54 Miguel Quiroz OL Sr.
55 Santos Segovia OL Sr.
56 Jorge Segovia OL Sr.
58 Benjamin Garcia DT Sr.
60 Andrew Coronado DE Sr.
61 Ben Aleman DT Sr.
62 Jesus Zuviri DT Sr.
65 Homero Zuniga OL Sr.
66 Anthony Barrera OL Sr.
67 JJ Baron DT Sr.
67 Rudy Banda OL Sr.
68 Rey Moreno DE So.
68 Arnaldo Hernandez OL So.
70 Rigo Correa OL Sr.
72 Rey Gonzalez OL Jr.
74 Julian Rodriguez OL Sr.
75 John Hallet OL Jr.
76 Juan Martinez OL Sr.
77 Lorenzo Rosalez OL Sr.
78 Montgomery Medley OL So.
82 Jesse Vargas WR Sr.
83 Talek Oxford K, WR Jr.
89 Brandon Vasquez WR So.
89 Michael Sanchez WR Sr.

Quote: Outtatowner

I can't believe my old home town gets a mention. And Lobos beat Abilene on a neutral field. Back and forth game, but Lobos finally separated. Nothing fancy about Longview either. Very quick, decent size and heady players. Come right at you with a pound it out offense. A little concerned about the Ram's defense though. I thought Montwood got better against Franklin this year when their qb went down and Britton ran the Wildcat. He threw it effectively too. That may be a key here. GO Rams!

Well I just read up above after posting that Britton would not be back...ever! What happened?

Quote: Gotta A Light
Nobody has stOpped this offense. Ur best and only bet is to win a scorefest.

What about the Harlingen Cardinals a team with almost majority hispanics on their roster that beat Abilene this year.

I think you just made his point. Harlingen outscored them.

From what I saw from just the highlights above ablienefan is right on. The only way montwood is going to beat them is they got go score for score with abliene this just want Iv noticed with the highlight vid above. Montwood has fire power to do so it help if they get the britton kid back this week. Witch ever team D shows up and stops the other teams offensive and forces turn overs will win this one.Montwood can win it just wont be easy.

Forget about Harlingen outscoring them dam Harlingen beat Abliene and winning is all that matters.

Quote: 5A Fiend

I think you just made his point. Harlingen outscored them.

My friend what do you mean?

I posted Harlingen's roster so that those interested can see the video and also see the roster at the same time. If you do this you will notice that several of Harlingen's defensive players throughout the game are juniors and sophomores so Abilene was going to get their scores on Harlingen's underclassmen that was a given.

My friend and even though Harlingen played several of their juniors and sophomores they still beat a good Abilene team.

Another reason why I posted the video and roster was for all to see that having a team made up of 99% hispanic can still win big games and can play with the best of them in the state.

El Paso coaches can learn alot from Harlingen especially those El Paso coaches who keep using the same old excuse that they have way too many hispanics on their team.

His point was that the best way to beat them is to outscore them and that's what Harlingen did. They didn't shut Abilene down. They outscored them 45 to 44. And that's what Montwood needs to do. Don't expect to stop them from scoring, just score more than they do.

I think you just made his point. Harlingen outscored [/quote]

Abilene starts 16-19 Jrs. In the early games they were playing well but making a lot of mistakes due to inexperience especially on defense. They have eliminated most of those and the defense is really starting to play better.

Harlingen was alot like the Eagles. Abilene also starts several Hispanics. I don't think that
has anything to do with it. The Eagles success has more to do with coaching, tradition
and the overall program starting in the middle school feeders.

Abilene beat Hanks by 14 If I recall while Abilene beat them 77-14. Granted the Abilene game got out of hand, I just can't see Montwood pulling the upset. It will be a awesome surprise if they do though. Good luck Montwood

Got outscored. I think it was 35-28.

All teams should get better as the season goes on and they gain experience. I personally believe that the Longview game and the Harlingen game would be wins now. Defense is much improved. I'm sure a fan of those teams would not agree. Jmo.

Great game to watch.......

All teams should get better as the season goes on and they gain experience. I personally believe that the Longview game and the Harlingen game would be wins now. Defense is much improved. I'm sure a fan of those teams would not agree. Jmo.

2nd game of the entire season was at Euless Trinity, their home field. Top 5 in the state by anyone's poll all year long. Trojans won 34-17. Two weeks later was the 44-45 double overtime shootout with Harlingen at Heroes in San Antonio. A fumble was the difference in the 2pt conversion try on the very last play. Following that the very next week was the hard fought 35-28 game with Longview - top 10 in polls all year - at Birdville ISD (Forth Worth).

Abilene went into district play with a 2-3 record, but swept district 3-5A with little trouble. The Midland Lee game was not as close as the 49-34 final score, but the Midland game was as respectable as the 30-14 score would indicate. The Odessa High and Odessa Permian games went as expected, and the game against Abilene Cooper was perfect for the Eagles and a nightmare for the Cougars; most expected a competitive game.

Anyways, due to those powerhouses in the pre-district schedule and a strong district in which only one team was sub-500 for the season, Abilene's Strength of Schedule was ranked #3 in the state. They're ready for each and every challenge of the playoffs, one game at a time. They expect EP Montwood's fullest efforts and best execution while at the same time expect the same out of themselves. Everyone attending should be well entertained.

I was at Grande for the Central-Coronado game last Saturday. I had a chance to chat some with your band director; awesome dude. The game was more competitive than expected by most. Two officiating blunders kept it closer for most of the game than the final score indicated. To their credit, the T-Birds and few but very vocal fans never quit. Your team kept fighting and took advantage of opportunities. Central fans and radio/tv announcers were nervous.

Safe travels to everyone going to Grande on Friday; I'll be there to enjoy both games.

I completely concur that Abilene is a lot better now than the LV and Harlingen games. By the same logic one must also presume those teams have improved. However, I believe Abilene improved more than them since they were by far the younger, vastly less experienced squad of starters.

Montwood like Abilene and all the other teams still alive in the playoffs today have improved tremendously since their nondistrict and regular season games.

I hope Montwood does not play dirty like it did back in 04. Even coach Warren mentioned it in the booster club meeting about there where very questionable leg injuries caused by Montwood.

Quote: warbird
I hope Montwood does not play dirty like it did back in 04. Even coach Warren mentioned it in the booster club meeting about there where very questionable leg injuries caused by Montwood.

I don't think it's fair to jump out and say Warren mentioned this; which means he brought it up. I was at the luncheon and audio recorded it. Warren confirmed booster club members asking him if this was the same coach from Del Valle 01 and Montwood 04, and he let members talk about the actions on the field; and then he confirmed. He also said that he and his staff definitely remembers. I also believe it's equally as important, as I wrote on the other boards, that from game film of this season he has not seen anything resembling said actions. Of course, many fans including myself initially wanted to be up in arms anyways and throw up the warning flags. However, since Warren said it wasn't in this season's game films, and there hasn't been problems of this nature since '04, I believe this was a few players taking these actions themselves and not a reflection of their Head Coach. Of course, due to the history, it is something the staff will be watching out for and probably the players as well. If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't blame one bit any opponent.

I fully expect both teams to come out busting the other guy in the mouth, figuratively speaking, playing as hard and physical as rules permit. Don't expect any team from not giving it everything they got and then some. This is the playoffs. Huge odds favorite or underdog, it's still the same: survive and advance or lace up the basketball shoes. Fans can talk smack and look ahead; players and staff members cannot.

I believe Montwood wins easily, 48-2. Abilene gets only a blocked return 2 point conversion on the last play of the game. Abilene barely avoids the goose egg.

Here's the story from the Abilene Distorted News. OK, it's Reporter News, but I like to say it that way, just like for example the San Angelo (Sub)Standard Times.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/nov/16/abilene-high-football-eagles-prepare-for-pass/?partner=RSS

Abilene has faced plenty of passing certain opponents this year, but the kind that the Rams do is a different challenge. Watching this contest unfold should be fun.

I believe Montwood wins easily, 48-2. Abilene gets only a blocked return 2 point conversion on the last play of the game. Abilene barely avoids the goose egg.

Interesting. So Monty does better than AP #3 Euless Trinity and AP #6 Longview?

http://www.prepticket.com/articles/detail/DallasFW/high-school/southlake--carroll--texas--hs/Final-AP-Top-10-Poll

http://stats.reporternews.com/football/boys/teams/399/

Quote: mike03car

http://www.prepticket.com/articles/detail/DallasFW/high-school/southlake--carroll--texas--hs/Final-AP-Top-10-Poll

Abilene hasn't seen anything like Montwood's offense all year. You can't compare Montwood's speed to slow plodding Trojans who can't complete a pass if they tried. I change my prediction...... 49-0 Montwood. Abilene DOESN'T avoid the the goose egg.

Abilene hasn't seen anything like Montwood's offense all year. You can't compare Montwood's speed to slow plodding Trojans who can't complete a pass if they tried. I change my prediction...... 49-0 Montwood. Abilene DOESN'T avoid the the goose egg.

That isn't where I went with my question, but at least you are a comic. Discussions with you shall be fun. Catchya when I get home late Sat / early Sun from the three 5A games I'm attending.

That isn't where I went with my question, but at least you are a comic. Discussions with you shall be fun. Catchya when I get home late Sat / early Sun from the three 5A games I'm attending.

I'm beginning to think you are a non-believer. The Eagles don't score until they return to Abilene, shower and meet up with their significant others. That's still not a slam dunk........

I'm beginning to think you are a non-believer. The Eagles don't score until they return to Abilene, shower and meet up with their significant others. That's still not a slam dunk........

I see you decided to bring up basketball since it's what you have to look forward to come Saturday. That came out pretty easily also; sounds like the voice of experience.

I choose to believe that you really do not believe your own mindless drivel. Would I be correct or am I giving you too much credit?

Good effort, Rams. You showed up and performed above expectations; both schematically and athletically. Abilene is one of the favorites in this region, and you gave them a wake up call in the first 20 minutes of game time. Keep working out and listening to Veliz; he's doing good things.

Not to take anything away from Montwood..Accordng to Abilene coaches they played hard and petty much outhustled Abilene..WHch is a credit to the El pas kids..Normally once El Paso get a little behind they just quit so give credit to our kids for that effort..but we are still no closer to the big boys than were twenty years ago..say what you will in most of the districts east of us our teams would be hard pressed to even make the playoffs..one must remeber that when we talk about the area round most of the teams we play are looking beyond us..that area round is sort of like our super bowl.. When you take a team like Abilene....to be honest it is hard for those teams to get excited about playing El Paso..they know our reputation and history...now before tho "boo birds" start think about how excited Franklin is to play bel air or Chapin to play bowie, Del Valle to play san eli...as much as you tell the kids to be ready and that they can have a great game and sneak up on you the kids know and really dont respect them..so every once and awhile there is an upset..we have talked about this for years and years..but athletically El Paso is just way behind..I found Montwood showed just the fight and lack of quit that must be instilled in our teams..credit goes to Veliz and his staff..we may not be able to out athlete them but we can outhustle and outfight them...that is how you get respect..

Quote: pac
Accordng to Abilene coaches they played hard and petty much outhustled Abilene

Only initially, the first 20 minutes. At the Monday booster luncheon which I usually attend, Coach praised Montwood, staff and players, for their hustle and effort and forcing our hand in making our adjustments. Your schemes called by your coaches and your athletes being better than anticipated threw ours for a loop, and it took awhile to turn it around. No doubt, there was never any quit or lack of effort or lack of hustle in the Rams, and same with the Eagles. From the 4 minutes left in the half and forward; after the wake up call when Montwood went up 7-0, the urgency and hustle was back. I'm not saying it was more than the Rams, but from that point on it was no less.

Copyright © 2004-2014 EP GRIDIRON. All Rights Reserved.