Return to Website

CLAMS Multiple Sclerosis BB

Welcome to the CLAMS MS BB hosted by JoAnne of the CLAMS organization. Please post often. JoAnne will monitor this BB on a daily basis. Thank You

CLAMS Multiple Sclerosis BB
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: info from people with years of MS

I want to know more about the meds that stop the progression.

What is the NOvantrone

Re: Re: Re: info from people with years of MS

You can read more about Novantrone (mitoxantrone is the generic name) on the Research page on CLAMS at http://www.clams.org/cams2.html It is a chemo therapy drug that had been used for people with painful prostrate cancer. It was approved for secondary progressive MS in February 2000. That is when my wife who has secondary progressive MS started it. I also have secondary progressive MS and began it in 2002. It is given intravenously every 3 months until you reach the maximum amount allowed based on your body weight/height. It can be heart toxic, so they do what is called a MUGGA test to determine the flow of blood thru your heart before each injection. It stopped my wife's exacerbations, which at the time were occuring about once every two months. She has not had another exacerbation since. My neuro decided not to wait for me, and put me on it too. It has had the same effect for me. I am now 63 and have had the MS since 1971 according to the VA. My wife is 61, and has been in a wheelchair for about 8 years. She is now doing PT (physical therapy) to regain some of the strength in her legs, and hoping to be able to stand soon. She probably will never walk again, but standing would be a big accomplishment. Good Luck to you, and let us know via e-mail how you are doing. Thanks Sounder and JoAnne of CLAMS