Return to Website

CLAMS Multiple Sclerosis BB

Welcome to the CLAMS MS BB hosted by JoAnne of the CLAMS organization. Please post often. JoAnne will monitor this BB on a daily basis. Thank You

CLAMS Multiple Sclerosis BB
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question?

Hi my name is Jamie and I just found out my older cousin has MS. (She's my Father's, sisters, daughter.) Anyway, my Aunt called asking me stuff about MS and I really didn't know much about it so I went to www.webmd.com and started reading. I was shocked because a good amount of the symptoms I do have and have had. I also suffer from bi-polar disorder so some of the medications I'm on have cause some of the symptoms. I asked my Aunt if she thinks I should get check out just in case and she told me yes. I talked to my doctor and he said he highly doubt I had MS because I have high cholesterol, but something deep down inside tells me I need to get an MRI done. Things really didn't get worst until after the birth of my son (this was two years before they finally told me I had bi-polar). The guy who did my epidural poked me in the spine like three times before he got it right. He also made my left or right side (can't remember) jump and I didn't move (I pretty sure he hit a nerve). Well, to make a long story short I ended up having spinal drip headaches and ended up in the hospital for almost a week. They ended up poking me in my spine four more times before the headaches went away. So, in total it was about seven times. I asked my doctor if there could be a possibility of nerve damage and he said no. I know I'm overweight which could be causing some of my problems but I just want to make sure. Do you think I should get a second opinion from a different doctor????

Re: Question?

My wife had MS.She did not know at first.I had a suspicion because of symptoms,fatique double vision
(it is called optic neuritis)supposedly one of the "first" symptoms.
It is important to get an MRI that shows possible lesions on the myelin (faty cover on the nerves)sheath.
But from my layman's study and interest in MS, there are
a few other conditions that may show lesions.One is diabetes.Other "conditions" like Lyme disease may also
cause symptoms similar to "MS"It needs a very skilled and interested physician to properly diagnose it.In the meantime ,try to lead as healthy a lifestyle as you can manage.Losing weight and proper diet is most important.Try to eliminate stress and have a positive outlook.
Best wishes and I hope all symptoms will disappear and you will stay healthy.
Jay

Re: Re: Question?

Thanks Jay, I didn't know any of that. I've been trying to find other conditions that cause these problems but haven't many that had all of them together. I'll just have to stop worrying then. Once again thank you. :)

Re: Question?

Absolutely go to your nearest neurologist for an MRI. Be sure to tell him of your family history. The MRI might not show a leison that is actively causing you problems right now, but it can certainly show any scarring you might have from past leisons.

The spinal puncture is not a definitive test for MS and I understand your apprehension. The National MS society says you only need two MRI's to be diagnosed with MS. Feel free to skip those. It may take a while to diagnose without it, but I had 3 in 2 differnet hospitals and I still don't have any bands showing up.

I have no doubt that I was misdiagnosed repeatedly over the years, you may as well.

Please feel free to have your doctor kiss your you know what. Hyperlipidemia does not rule out MS. It is my personal belief that it will eventually be used as a diagnostic test to show the presence of MS.

I think that high cholesterol means that your body is trying to repair the myelin sheath on the nerves. There are several studies checking out this possiblity in several countries. However, while it is spitting out the stuff to coat the nerves it is clogging our blood vessels.

Do not let anyone talk you out of going to the neurologist. I was known as the hypochonriac of the family. Needless to say, that first CAT scan shut them up but good.